• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mass Murder & Spree Killing

7 Dead in Calif. Post Office Shooting

Now this is really going postoffice. Been a while since there was a real PO massacre.

7 Dead in Calif. Post Office Shooting

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:04 a.m. ET

GOLETA, Calif. (AP) -- A female ex-postal worker opened fire at a mail processing plant, killing six people before committing suicide, authorities said early Tuesday.

One other person was listed in critical condition, authorities said.

More Stories About...
Sheriff Jim Anderson
Deputies responding to a call of shots fired late Monday initially found two people dead outside the plant.

Two wounded women were located inside and were taken to a hospital. One died and the other was listed in critical condition early Tuesday with a gunshot wound to the head.

During a search of the massive mail complex, deputies found four additional bodies, including one believed to be the female shooter, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Jim Anderson said. The shooter, who was not identified, died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, he said.

"We do not believe there is any additional threat to the community," Anderson said.

Postal employee Charles Kronick told KEYT-TV in Santa Barbara that he was inside the building when shots rang out. Some 50 to 60 employees were seen running from the plant.

"I heard something that sounded like a pop, and then I heard a couple seconds later, another pop, pop, pop," Kronick said.

His boss came running over and told him to get out of the building, Kronick said, adding "We all hightailed it out real quick."

The victims' names were not immediately released. Sheriffs' Sgt. Erik Raney said all the victims were believed to be current employees.

The postal station is located just a few blocks from the University of California, Santa Barbara, about 100 miles northwest of Los Angeles.

Post Office

well, there are threads about serial killers and other massacres here, so on that basis i'll stick to it being fortean.

It's unusual for a woman to do this, isn't it?

gncxx said:
It's unusual for a woman to do this, isn't it?

Yep - in Beserk! Graham Chester devotes a chapter to the phenomena. They are rare and often take a subordinate role, like Caril Ann Fugate with Charles Starkweather, but they are on he rise.

Some examples Chestr gives:

Brenda Spencer, 16, outside her school in 1979 - it inspired "Tell me why (I don't like Mondays)

Sylvia Seegrist - 1985

Laurie Dann - 1988

Obviously her being a postal worker greatly increased her odds of flipping out and going kill crazy. Anyone know why postal workers go potsal? Hmmmmmmm over to Wikipedia I go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_postal

DA: Teen hid bodies in manure pile

Foreman's family slain at Sam Donaldson's ranch

Monday, February 6, 2006; Posted: 2:48 p.m. EST (19:48 GMT)

ALAMOGORDO, New Mexico (AP) -- A teenager charged with murdering his family on newsman Sam Donaldson's ranch was a cold-blooded killer who methodically shot his father, stepmother and stepsister, then hid their bodies in a manure pile, a prosecutor told jurors Monday.

In her closing argument, prosecutor Janice Schryer urged jurors to convict Cody Posey of first-degree murder despite defense claims that the 16-year-old suffered years of physical and mental abuse.

"It's not a case about abuse," Schryer said. "It's a case about cold-blooded, intentional murder perpetrated by Cody Posey."

Schryer described Posey's parents as loving and said they had high expectations of the boy, but said he didn't like ranch life and "took the opportunity to relieve himself of those expectations and that life."

The jury was expected to begin deliberating the case Monday following the defense closing arguments in the three-week-old trial.

Posey was arrested a few days after the bodies of his father and stepmother, Paul and Tryone Posey, and his stepsister, 13-year-old Mary Lee Schmid, were found on Donaldson's Chavez Canyon Ranch in July 2004. The elder Posey was the ranch's manager.

On a videotape shown to the jury, Posey tearfully said he shot his stepmother first so she would not call authorities, then killed his father and Mary Lee so she wouldn't tell on him.

Dozens of witnesses testified that the boy was hit, called names and isolated from friends by his family. And on the stand, Posey claimed his father burned him with a metal welding rod after he refused to have sex with his stepmother the night before the slayings.

But prosecutors contend the teen planned the slayings, then lied and tried to turn suspicion away from himself. Prosecution witnesses also testified they never saw a mark on Posey's body.

Defense attorney Gary Mitchell has said the boy -- 14 at the time of the killings -- told teachers, family and friends about the alleged abuse but the state failed to help him.

"This abuse against this child needs to end and that means the abuse by the state of New Mexico in prosecuting it, too," Mitchell said.

-------------
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/02/06/ranch.trial.ap/

michelleeb1970 said:
Ereshkigal_X said:
Rrose_Selavy said:
Tragic,yes, Fortean? Not so sure.
I think the interesting question is ""Why postal workers?"

Wasn't there an X-Files episode about this?

One got their inspiration from it:

www.tv.com/the-x-files/blood/episode/517/summary.html

see:
http://schwicky.net/xfiles/episodes/2/blood/

but the motivation behind workplace killings also crops up in Folie a Deux:

www.tv.com/the-x-files/folie-a-deux/epi ... mmary.html

'Zombie Party' Killing Rampage!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4846714.stm

US 'Zombie party' killings probed
26 March 2006

Police are investigating the fatal shooting of six young revellers at a house party in the US city of Seattle.

They were killed, and two others wounded, when a fellow guest went on a gun rampage before finally killing himself when confronted by police.

They were at a "zombie party", where guests wear make-up to make them look dead, in the city's Capitol Hill area.

Police are baffled as to what sparked the incident, which took place in the early morning as the party wound down.

"We have absolutely no idea what the motive is," Seattle police chief Gil Kerlikowske said. "These appear to be almost execution-style shootings. He expended a large number of rounds inside that house."

The victims were five males and two females, aged from their mid-teens to their 20s, police said.

"It was a zombie party. People had a lot of make-up on," Mr Kerlikowske said. "There was fake blood squirted, and people were made-up to look as if they were dead."

Weapons in truck

The gunman, in his 20s and believed to be a Seattle resident, is reported to have been invited to the house party after attending a "zombie rave" for about 1,000 people, also in Capitol Hill, earlier on Friday night.

As the house party was winding down at 0700 (1500 GMT) on Saturday morning, the killer reportedly left the house and went to his truck, parked nearby to collect a pistol grip shotgun and handgun and to don bandoliers of spare shotgun shells.

As he walked the half block back to the house he paused to spray paint the word "Now" in three spots - twice on the pavement and once on the steps of a neighbour's home, police said.

Once back inside the house he started shooting.

"People inside the house began running and screaming in terror," Mr Kerlikowske said. "A pistol-grip shotgun is a weapon not designed for hunting purposes but for hunting people."

Hiding in bathroom

Having killed two people on the ground floor, he then went upstairs looking for more victims, police said.

He tried to get into a bathroom where two girls were hiding. When the locked door impeded him he fired through the door, but the girls were left unharmed.

The gunfire was heard by neighbours and a police officer just a block away, who rushed to the scene.

When the police officer, Steve Leonard, arrived he found one person staggering out of the house with a bullet wound.

He confronted another man with a shotgun, who turned it on himself after being told several times to put it down, Mr Kerlikowske said.

About 20 party guests were taken to Seattle police headquarters for counselling and questioning, police sergeant Deanna Nollette said.

"This is basically one of the most serious and significant crimes we have had in this city. The number of young people who witnessed what happened is disturbing."

Police said they did not know whether drugs or alcohol were a factor, though Mr Kerlikowske said marijuana and alcohol were found in the house.

Scary stuff - I know some people in the area who could have easily gone (although I suspect they aren't in the demographic/scene).

Here is the flyer for the event:

www.cowpunch.org/upcoming.htm

If you squint ou can see it says:

Please leave your drugs, alcohol and weapons at home. Please come in undead attire.

The group of "ravers" involved have their own MySpace. - all very sad :(

Zombies

Is it possible that the miscreant was so blammed on alcohol and drugs that he suddenly found himself surrounded by....ZOMBIES?

Car trouble kept body count at 6

Sunday, May 28, 2006; Posted: 1:44 p.m. EDT (17:44 GMT)

LANCASTER, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A man charged with killing six family members also attempted to travel to New York to kill his grandfather but was stopped by car trouble, prosecutors allege in a new count filed Friday.

The bodies of Jesse D. "Jay" Wise Jr.'s relatives were not yet discovered when police say Wise and a 16-year-old girl drove toward New York in his slain grandmother's Mercedes sport-utility vehicle.

The girl, Angelica Gillogly, testified in a preliminary hearing Friday that Wise told her he was going to bring drugs back from New York and that he "had to finish what (he) started." His grandfather, Jessie L. Wise, was in Brooklyn, away from the family home in Leola, a small village about 60 miles west of Philadelphia.

The SUV broke down outside Philadelphia early April 11, and a friend gave Jay Wise and Gillogly a ride back to Lancaster County, police said.

Wise's grandmother, two aunts, an uncle and two cousins had been stabbed, bludgeoned, possibly strangled, and left wrapped in sheets and blankets.

Wise, 21, was quickly apprehended nearby. Investigators have not offered a motive for the slayings.

A judge on Friday determined there is enough evidence to try Wise, both on the six homicide charges and the new attempted homicide count.

Jessie L. Wise, reached by phone Friday, declined to comment.

Gillogly testified she was under the influence of drugs or alcohol the night she and Wise headed east, but Lancaster County prosecutor Craig Stedman objected and the judge stopped her short. Gillogly also was prevented from saying whether Wise also had been on drugs or alcohol.

Police have said Wise confessed to killing his relatives, ages 5 to 64. His girlfriend, Jackie Boots, testified Friday that he also told her about the slayings before his arrest.

It took three or four days for the bodies to be discovered, during which time authorities allege Wise used his victims' cash, checks or credit cards to go shopping.

-------------
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/05/26/basement.bod ... index.html

Mighty_Emperor said:
"Laurie Dann - 1988"

Previous to the killings Dann had been diagnosed, by a psychiatrist, as suffering from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

I suxspect that this was not only a misdiagnosis but a severe one. I've worked enough with fellow OCD individuals over the past 13 years to realize that we tend to be the most law-abiding people in the world. Indeed, one of the main OCD attributes is a fear of offending community mores - and carrying this to ridiculous extremes. We are the people who agonize over making the correct ethical decision even where the problem at hand is so minor as to carry absolutely no ethical consequences. (That is, of two equal doors, which is the "ethical" one to enter?)

The only associsation of criminality with OCD I know of is that a small minority of its victims had some minor problem with shoplifting (*) during their adolescent years. But shoplifting and spree-killing are hardly the same thing. In addition, people with major clinical depression will sometimes shoplift a small item (for example, a single pack of chewing gum) to get themselves arrested and thus into enforcred psychological treatment. But that's not exactly spree-killing either.

It's possible that Dann was a victim of Obsessive-Compulsive PERSONALITY Disorder, which in spite of a surface similarity of names is a different kettle of fish altogether. But I've never otherewise heard of even OCPD being carried to Dann's extreme. (OCPD types tend to be the neighborhood hard-to-takes who insist that their ideosyncratic behaviors are the norm, the standards which all other members of the community would do well to emulate.)

(*) For what it's worth, kleptomania is considered one of the spectrum neuroses, along with OCD and the non-psychotic varieties of depression.

ARE there actually more shootings in United States Post Offices, per capita, than in other American industries? The Post Office is obviously America's largest corporation, at least if measured in terms of branch offices.

If a fired, disgrunted automobile mechanic walks into MIKE'S BODY SHOP and begins blowing away his former co-workers we say that he "went postal," furthering the Post Office myth (if myth it is). We DON'T say that he "went mechanical."

Clank! Clank! Clank!

Japan police detain 'haiku' killer suspect
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23433066

Police in Japan say they have arrested a man suspected of killing five elderly people in a remote mountain hamlet.

The five pensioners were found bludgeoned to death on 21 and 22 July in Shunan, Yamaguchi Prefecture, on the southern end of the main island of Honshu.

Dozens of police using dogs had been searching for the 63-year-old suspect.

He was found in only his underwear on a nearby mountain, Kyodo news agency reported, citing police.

The victims, who ranged in age from 71 to 80, were all residents of the hamlet and included a married couple.

Police found three of the bodies on Sunday in homes that had been torched and two more on Monday.

It was at the suspect's home that police found a haiku-style verse stuck to a window that read: "Setting a fire - smoke gives delight - to a country fellow."

Haiku is a form of Japanese poetry comprising three lines of five, seven and five syllables.

Local reports, however, said the verse had been there for some time.

Full text, vid and FB posts at link.

The Chilling Anti-Government, Cliven Bundy-Loving Facebook Posts of the Alleged Las Vegas Shooters

Jerad and Amanda Miller's Facebook and YouTube likes included the NRA, Rand Paul, FreedomWorks, and other right-wing champions—and videos justifying the killing of police officers.

The suspects in Sunday's shooting spree in Las Vegas that claimed the lives of two police officers and a shopper were a young married couple who espoused extreme pro-gun and anti-government views on their Facebook pages and who had spent time at the ranch of Cliven Bundy, whose standoff with the federal government made him a cause celebre in the so-called "patriot" movement.

The suspects, who killed themselves at the scene of their shooting rampage, have been identified as Jerad and Amanda Miller.

In a chilling Facebook message published a day before the shootings, Jerad Miller declared, "The dawn of a new day. May all of our coming sacrifices be worth it."

Jerad Miller was eager to support Bundy, who was confronted by federal officials after years of refusing to pay grazing fees. On April 9, he wrote on Facebook:

I will be supporting Clive Bundy and his family from Federal Government slaughter. This is the next Waco! His ranch is under seige right now! The federal gov is stealing his cattle! Arresting his family and beating on them! We must do something. I will be doing something.

During his time on Bundy's ranch, he told a reporter: "I feel sorry for any federal agents that want to come in here and try to push us around or anything like that. I really don't want violence toward them, but if they're gonna come bring violence to us, if that's the language they want to speak, we'll learn it." Not long after the couple made their pilgrimage to Bundy's ranch, Miller noted on Facebook that he and his wife were asked to leave because of his criminal past:

I was out there but they told me and my wife to leave because I am a felon. They don't seem to understand that they are all felons now for intimidating law enforcement with deadly weapons. So don't tell you that they need people. We sold everything we had to buy supplies and quit our jobs to be there 24/7. How dare you ask for help and shun us dedicated patriots.

Jerad Miller's Facebook "likes" include the NRA, American Patriot Media Network, Support the 2nd Amendment, The Patriot Party, Rand Paul 2016, Ron Paul, the Washington Examiner, Legalize Weed, Draft Judge Andrew Napolitano, the Heritage Foundation, FreedomWorks, American Crossroads, and Allen West.

In a June 2 Facebook post—something of a manifesto—Jerad Miller indicated that he supported the arguments of the anti-government patriot movement that claims freedom and liberty in the United States are currently threatened. He wrote:

We can hope for peace. We must, however, prepare for war. We face an enemy that is not only well funded, but who believe they fight for freedom and justice. Those of us who know the truth and dare speak it, know that the enemy we face are indeed our brothers. Even though they share the same masters as we all do. They fail to recognize the chains that bind them. To stop this oppression, I fear, can only be accomplished with bloodshed.

May the best men of our beloved nation stand and fight tyranny, without fear and without regret. May we stand proud as free men instead of kneeling as slaves. May we offer our children a free and just world with our blood, sweat and tears as payment. Let our wives and lovers take vengeance upon our enemies in our absence. We cannot fail in this endeavor of Liberty, if we do we risk leaving our orphaned children to the will of tyrants. We, cannot with good conscience leave this fight to our children, because the longer we wait, our enemies become better equipped and recruit more mercenaries of death, willing to do a tyrants bidding without question. ...
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... government

Very confused nazi scum. They didn't even realize that the nazis were the ultimate form of big gov. Actual conservatives believe in small gov and def. not using violence and ignorance. :(

tonyblair11 said:
Very confused nazi scum. They didn't even realize that the nazis were the ultimate form of big gov. Actual conservatives believe in small gov and def. not using violence and ignorance. :(

That's maybe because people keep demonising the Nazi's as individuals without attempting to analyse the all-pervading system of government and control they set up. I wouldn't describe our current leaders as Nazi's but the system they are setting up is remarkably similar, lacking only the deployment of the armed forces internally.

However, at the moment the system is largely being used in a fairly moderate fashion - its the potential of its misuse in the wrong hands that I find extremely concerning.

CarlosTheDJ said:
There's no apostrophe in nazis.

When I seize power in these Isles, samba drummers and grammar nazis' will be surplus to requirements.

I thought it didn't look right. I was confused because I was thinking of them as individuals and an organisation in the same breath, so to speak.

But its a horrible word anyway, it deserves mistreatment. The apostrophe is just the weapon :)

I see in America they're complaining about halal meat again and want there meat prepared in an "American way" .. I mean, honestly - what are the chances of a cow enrolling into high school then being shot by a class mate? ..

Swifty said:
I see in America they're complaining about halal meat again and want there meat prepared in an "American way" .. I mean, honestly - what are the chances of a cow enrolling into high school then being shot by a class mate? ..

:lol:

Back