• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Men In Black & Bogus Social Workers As Tulpa Folk Devils

This whole thread reminds me of the weird encounter posted by Emperor over on another thread (Colin Bennett`s New Ufology):

Emperor said:

The whole thing, from the Lancaster Bomber to the MIB sound tulpa-ish. They're very archetypal, and there's a definite high strangeness to them.

The "aliens as tulpas" idea fits interestingly with the trend in pre-1980 UFO encounters for the aliens to be of all kinds of shapes and sizes, and their narrowing down in the present day to the Grey type everyone knows about. As if the collective unconscious has decided to go with the one we all know about from popular culture. It also fits with the description these beings give about their origins and their technology - it always seems to be just ahead of our own.

I like the tulpa theory a lot. :yeay:

Emperor said:
So just to clarify - you never actually mentioned the FTMB?

~makes notes on file and puts it back in the F section of the filing cabinet~

Heh, no . . . but it did cross my mind. I meant to add into my account that when he asked if I ever visited "any unusual webistes" the first thing I thought of was this website. Particularly this thread. But it was the last site I was going to mention to this guy. I should have said "Yeah, Ghost Study is pretty messed up."

At any rate, the idea of him being a tulpa more than crossed my mind. Especially because I have always wondered if Men In Black always wore trademark black suits, or did they mix it up a little? Then, this guy shows up in a navy blue suit so close to black that if he hadn't had some sunlight hitting his pantlegs I might never have noticed it wasn't black. That struck me as the sort of thing John Keel always mentioned.

-Fitz

Fitz said:
Emperor said:
So just to clarify - you never actually mentioned the FTMB?

~makes notes on file and puts it back in the F section of the filing cabinet~

Heh, no . . . but it did cross my mind. I meant to add into my account that when he asked if I ever visited "any unusual webistes" the first thing I thought of was this website. Particularly this thread. But it was the last site I was going to mention to this guy. I should have said "Yeah, Ghost Study is pretty messed up."

Thats bad - he could probably skim your surface thoughts and spotted you think about the FTMB.

We'll have to run some psychic defence classes.

As soon as you think you are in danger repeat "James Randi, James Randi" over and over again in your mind.

Top marks on mentioning hollow earth websites :yeay: Thats the kind of thing I'd kick myself for not thinking about at the time.

Emperor said:
Top marks on mentioning hollow earth websites :yeay: Thats the kind of thing I'd kick myself for not thinking about at the time.

:roll: Well, it was the most ludicrous thing I could think of, off the top of my head . . . sorry to anyone who likes this theory. I guess, for me, it is the equivalent of Fort's speaking dog dissapearing in a puff of smoke.

And next time I will remember "James Randi - James Randi"

-Fitz

Fitz said:
Emperor said:

:roll: Well, it was the most ludicrous thing I could think of, off the top of my head . . . sorry to anyone who likes this theory. I guess, for me, it is the equivalent of Fort's speaking dog dissapearing in a puff of smoke.

And next time I will remember "James Randi - James Randi"

-Fitz

Thanks for that weird story. Really liked it.
Perhaps you should post it in the "It happened to me" forum?

I wonder if the MIB's are monitoring this website and it's members ? ;)
What a spooky thought! :eek!!!!:

I would post it on there, but really, nothing of consequence happened . . . I almost didn't post it even on here because I was afraid I was making something of nothing.

It was an odd experience, but if nothing else happens, it could just have easily been some guy casing my place.

I sort of wish he had made a coin dissapear or something of that calibre, then I would feel justified posting on IHTM.

-Fitz

Vardoger said:

I was just wondering that . . . Is there a way for someone to find out users real names and such? I mean, obviously I never typed in my home address to get an account here, but I did type my real name . . .

Emperor, how likely is it? Just to feed my paranoia . . .

-Fitz

I don't remember now if I needed to give my real name when I signed up. Had to give a valid email addy, though. I believe that info is only available to mods/supermods though; I know we are discouraged from speculating on the real identities of members, so I should imagine it would be very difficult to get anyone's personal info if they didn't want to give it.

If you *want* to come out and say "Hi, I'm John/Jane Doe from Mytown and I work for Crapco/go to Boogabooga U", knock yourself out, of course. :)

Fitz said:
Vardoger said:

I was just wondering that . . . Is there a way for someone to find out users real names and such? I mean, obviously I never typed in my home address to get an account here, but I did type my real name . . .

Emperor, how likely is it? Just to feed my paranoia . . .

Its happened before (with a member posting people's persoanl details that they had been able to glean about people) but we hope we are in a position to nip things in the bud.

We recommend people don't use their real name or have their email visible but we all leak information and someone who is persistent could find out all sorts of information about you - someone was telling me the other day about a guy who was showing off by getting someone's pin number within an hour purely from their mobile phone number.

We have discussed this elsewhere:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18631

Basically you can post whatever personal information you like here but you really should be careful and you may get a "is this wise?" note form us if we are concerned people might be giving too much away. Hopefully you are safer here than elsewhere but that shouldn't give youa false sense of security.

That said from the IP address that is probably logged by the Mods it wouldn't be so hard to check back with the service provider and find out who you are. Unless you use a proxy, but who is paranoid enough for that?

Heckler said:
That said from the IP address that is probably logged by the Mods it wouldn't be so hard to check back with the service provider and find out who you are. Unless you use a proxy, but who is paranoid enough for that?

I'd like to steer any further discussion on this to this thread:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18631

in an attempt to keep this thread on topic.

Leaferne said:
I know we are discouraged from speculating on the real identities of members

Hmm... I speculate on my real identity all the time... should I turn myself in??

:cry:

To return to phantom social workers, from last nights Cambridge evening News:-

Conwoman posed as care worker
Published on 03 February 2005
A CONWOMAN faces jail for posing as a care worker to get into the homes of vulnerable victims.

Bridgette Mahon gained access to a disabled man's home at Holme Close, Histon and took £500.

A few days later, Mahon, of Kaldor Court, Arbury, pretended she was a charity care worker to get into the home of an elderly victim in the city's Birdwood Road. But she was ejected before she could steal anything.

At Cambridge Crown Court, the 24-year-old pleaded guilty to two charges of burglary relating to the incidents on October 29 and November 4 last year. She had previously denied the allegations.

Sentence was adjourned for reports and Mahon was remanded in custody.

Maybe this provides a more prosaic reason for phantom social workers, they are distraction burglaries in which the burgler/fake social worker takes flight?

David said:
Maybe this provides a more prosaic reason for phantom social workers, they are distraction burglaries in which the burgler/fake social worker takes flight?

Maybe. But how do you explain strange stories where these phantom social workers never tried anything at all? Like the Social Worker who took the child from the home but brought it back, having only taken the child to get ice cream. Or the weird story out in western Canada earlier this year (I think?) where a couple tried to take a child from its mother on a train, only to be caught by the mother, then they returned to the train, apologized to the mother, and stayed on for another stop before departing. That is a weird story.

It almost sounds like those two were in the trance state John Keel talks about.

-Fitz

Fitz said:
David said:

Maybe. But how do you explain strange stories where these phantom social workers never tried anything at all? Like the Social Worker who took the child from the home but brought it back, having only taken the child to get ice cream. Or the weird story out in western Canada earlier this year (I think?) where a couple tried to take a child from its mother on a train, only to be caught by the mother, then they returned to the train, apologized to the mother, and stayed on for another stop before departing. That is a weird story.

It almost sounds like those two were in the trance state John Keel talks about.

-Fitz

Are these tulpas created by the parents who are afraid of having their children "kidnapped" by social workers? Or something like that?

This messageboard is such good value!!

Fitz: Your encounter with the strange young man was certainly odd. I have to say though that it is one of the funniest things I have read in ages. I have just finished laughing out loud at the whole ludicrous scenario. It would make a priceless comedy sketch, or part of a surreal sitcom. I'm not for a minute trying to detract from your experience and I too would feel uneasy about someone like that coming to my door, but - so hilarious too!!!

I'm glad you anjoyed it, Hecate, in retrospect I do find it fairly amusing, although at the time it was a bit creepy.

-Fitz

Hey all.

It took me a while to plow through all the old threads to find this one, but I had to find it. I saw my "Man in Black" again.

Incredible as it sounds I was at our nearest grocery store last night, around 8:30pm, and was looking through the vegetables when I felt someone next to me looking at me. I looked over, and there stood the same young man in the same navy blue suit. I swear he even had the identical haircut.

As soon as I made eye contact with him he said (very quickly) "Hello. Goodmorning."

Startled, and wondering if it was possible it was the same guy I said "Hi."

He immediately asked "What do you talk about when you go home at night?"

I looked at him, considered just ignoring the question, but instead answered "The Hilton sisters."

He laughed once, sort of a "Heh" then continued to stand there. I was testing avacados, so I hadn't left yet. He stood next to me for the next fifteen seconds or more, until I finally looked at him again. Then, he said "I'm looking for meat."

I told him, "Then you're in the wrong area." and walked away.

I was creeped at the time, and more when I got home. It was very definately the same guy who asked me about food back in January.

"Looking for MEAT"??

Is it just me, or is that a loaded comment?

Am I being followed? Is he maybe just gay and trying to pick me up? Tulpa? What?

-Fitz, a.k.a BVH

Upon reading my post back I realize how ludicrous it sounds, but I swear it's true.

Before he asked what I talk about at night there was some hesitation on his part, as if he was wondering how to word what he asked.

Other than that I don't remember anything else.

A truly odd encounter that would have me hiding under the bed for a week or two.

I really hope he is tring to pick you up as solutions beyond possible autism are too sinister for comfort.

Perhaps we need to have some anti-MIB topics to confuse the MIB with:

-------
What do you talk about at night?

The Unitarians.
Cthulhu.

------
I'm looking for meat.

You are definitely up the wrong aisle!!!

That's a thought . . . or perhaps go the opposite route?

Q-What do you talk about at night?
A-The collected works of John A. Keel.

Hmm, on second thought, maybe not.

BaronVonHoopla said:
That's a thought . . . or perhaps go the opposite route?

Q-What do you talk about at night?
A-The collected works of John A. Keel.

Hmm, on second thought, maybe not.

You could just say Ultraterrestrials and walk off - if he isn't an MiB it shoul confuse him enough ;)

BaronVonHoopla said:
Upon reading my post back I realize how ludicrous it sounds, but I swear it's true.

Before he asked what I talk about at night there was some hesitation on his part, as if he was wondering how to word what he asked.

What was his accent like? Was it possible that English wasn't his first language? That might explain the hesitation before speaking.

Sounds to me like he's autistic or at least extremely socially awkward, he was probably going round your block using the survey as an excuse to talk to people.
I've known people like that, and they act in exactly the way you describe. There was a bloke near where I used to live who inspected the telegraph poles to make sure they werent going to fall down, he used to push them with his hand from both sides and the go "hhmmm" under his breath in a knowledable way, and scribble something in a little notebook with a ladbrokes pen. He had one massive snaggle tooth in the middle of his mouth.

Thinking about it maybe he was a prehistoric sabertooth MIB! :shock:

BaronVonHoopla said:
Hey all.

It took me a while to plow through all the old threads to find this one, but I had to find it. I saw my "Man in Black" again.

Next time you encounter him, it's your time to ask some questions.
If you do I hope you will report the results here in this thread.

SameOldVardoger said:
BaronVonHoopla said:
Hey all.

Next time you encounter him, it's your time to ask some questions.
If you do I hope you will report the results here in this thread.

You can count on that!

Re: Fitz - your weird survey MIB guy.

I've recently participated in a consumer survey myself - and though it was legit (the guy showed me ID, left contact numbers for his firm etc.) it has to be said that the questions can definitely seem weird sometimes - I don't remember offhand, but there was certainly something that rang a bell with the 'do you think there is food that makes you smarter question'. Also, there were a lot of questions that were completely unrelated to one another - we covered everything from cars, mobile networks, bank accounts, insurance, and ... stamp collecting would you believe. I put it down to the fact that the survey was being sponsored by lots of different interests, and that it would save time to lump them all together in one, rather than do a survey for each individual topic.

As far as I can see, if the guy showed you any ID, and left you with a contact number, then he was legit. If not .. well, who knows.

No, I never asked him for any ID . . . he seemed so young, I got the impression it was his first job, because of the suit and everything. I don't know about where you all live, but these days anyone who comes to my door is dressed pretty normal, t-shirts and jeans and whatnot. Suits seem to be worn by older people or door-to-door christians.

My question is, assuming Keel is correct and these ultraterrestrials do exist and play games with us - Why? What purpous does it serve? Are they 'feeding' off our confusion?

Or are they just bored?

Didn't Keel suggest that they didn't understand how our world worked? They didn't get how to talk with people or how to behave in order to fit in with society, it was too alien for them. They're wearing human skin yet they've no idea how to be human.
The story about the MiB that tried to drink a bowl of jelly always makes me laugh.

Wake Up Down There!

I can't remember if Keel actually uses the word 'Tulpa' in the Mothman Prophecies but he does suggest - rather obliquely - that MIB's are somehow created by, and feed from, our mental energies - and seem just as bemused by their own existence and purpose as we do.

As far as the strange caller at the door is concerned, it reminds me of a case researched by Lynne Picknett for her Mammoth Book of UFOs (p269) of a rather odd insurance salesman. For those without the book, I've summarised it here: The Salesman

Back