• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Remember all those cartridge cases you and your shoot ejected but didn’t retrieve over the years? Welcome home, boys!

:hahazebs:

maximus otter
That point has already been raised by a number of grinning faces. I’m hoping the particular model of detector I’m looking at can discriminate between the cartridges and Boudica’s hoard.

Collecting the cartridges would help save the planet. Recycle!

Collecting the cartridges would help save the planet. Recycle!
Most self respecting shotgun users on our plot retrieve their cartridges and place them in the purpose built bin on the gun bus; most but not all. The shoot in its current form has been in operation for over 25 years, no doubt shooting took place on the land before our organised shoot was in place.
Poachers are forever in the woods taking pheasants and they won’t pick up their cartridges.
During the war years USAF and Polish airmen were billeted on the land and supposedly enjoyed a bit of sport.
I’m expecting 1 or 2 cartridges to appear in the woodlands.

Most self respecting shotgun users on our plot retrieve their cartridges and place them in the purpose built bin on the gun bus; most but not all. The shoot in its current form has been in operation for over 25 years, no doubt shooting took place on the land before our organised shoot was in place.
Poachers are forever in the woods taking pheasants and they won’t pick up their cartridges.
During the war years USAF and Polish airmen were billeted on the land and supposedly enjoyed a bit of sport.
I’m expecting 1 or 2 cartridges to appear in the woodlands.
Think I my 'dig-out' my old metal detector, haven't looked at it for more than thirty years. It was did a great job back then and I was always careful to replace soil etc after finding stuff. Difficult bit is getting somewhere to detect but certainly it's worth a thought seeing as I now have the time to go detecting.
1674837753925.png
"Ooh... Oh!"

First time out could have went with a bang.

A first-time metal detectorist sparked a police alert after finding an unexploded bomb near a school in Invergordon in the Highlands.

Nearby roads and schools were closed following the find by Ryan Junor. A cordon has been put in place and members of the public are being asked to stay away from the area around Gordon Terrace and Academy Road. Invergordon Academy, Park Primary and South Lodge Primary were shut as a result.

A Royal Navy spokesman described the ordnance as historic and said bomb disposal experts were at the scene.

The school closures involve more than 730 pupils.

Bomb
IMAGE SOURCE, RYAN JUNOR Image caption, The bomb was discovered by a group of metal detectorists

The ordnance was discovered on Tuesday evening by a group of metal detectorists, which included Ryan Junor who was trying out metal detecting for the first time.

He said that after posting an image of the find to metal detectorist social media pages it was suggested to them they had possibly found a mortar bomb. The group then alerted the authorities. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-64481056

I guess the original owner died of the plague.

A coin expert said his eyes lit up when he saw 12 "rare" medieval gold coins, discovered with 616 silver pennies hidden in the wake of the Black Death.

The hoard was found during a metal detecting rally at Hambleden in Buckinghamshire in April 2019. British Museum curator Barrie Cook said there had been only 12 known examples of the 1346 and 1351 Edward III gold nobles before the 2019 finds. The coins have been declared treasure by Buckinghamshire Coroner's Court.

Dr Cook, curator of medieval and early modern coinage, said: "They are rare coins and your eyes light up when see something rare, and there's the whole background of the Black Death - it's a very active decade, to put it mildly, with a lot of historical context to unpack."

The Hambleden nobles were the third attempt by Edward III to introduce the first gold coinage to England since the Anglo-Saxon era. It was not until the fourth attempt that "the mint people worked out" the right relationship between the value of the silver pennies and gold coins, he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-64512980

The hoard was found during a metal detecting rally at Hambleden in Buckinghamshire in April 2019. British Museum curator Barrie Cook said there had been only 12 known examples of the 1346 and 1351 Edward III gold nobles before the 2019 finds. The coins have been declared treasure by Buckinghamshire Coroner's Court.
Okay, I know it is nearly 700 years later but I still hope they washed their hands afterwards! :worry:

So come on- surely everyone has seen it by now.
What did you all think?
"Well" (to coin a phrase), it seems like a programme, and a subject that could be delved into and easily expanded upon in many different ways. Though I think they could drop the 'silly hobby' tag that seems in part, to be portrayed within the series, as detecting can be a very serious business. . . 'Oak Island,' a case in point. The connections between Detectorist's; Museum's, Archaeologist's and their research findings and dig's all play there own important part with todays metal detectorist's - even when, for some, it becomes a fascinating pastime.

Last edited:
"Well" (to coin a phrase), it seems like a programme, and a subject that could be delved into and easily expanded upon in many different ways. Though I think they could drop the 'silly hobby' tag that seems in part, to be portrayed within the series, as detecting can be a very serious business. . . 'Oak Island,' a case in point. The connections between Detectorist's; Museum's, Archaeologist's and their research findings and dig's all play there own important part with todays metal detectorist's - even when, for some, it becomes a fascinating pastime.
Yes, but what did you think to the bit when the UFO landed Sid? A bit far-fetched for me.

It was good, but didn't have the same feel as before, for me.
I won't keep watching the series if they show repeats, as I have spoilt the enjoyment of too many programmes and films by doing that, but I'll rewatch it all one day.
I definitely think they shouldn't make any more now.

It was good, but didn't have the same feel as before, for me.
I won't keep watching the series if they show repeats, as I have spoilt the enjoyment of too many programmes and films by doing that, but I'll rewatch it all one day.
I definitely think they shouldn't make any more now.
I don't think they will as it is hard to know where they could go after that. I heard an interview with Toby Jones where he said the same thing.

Some have to wait years before they make a significant find. But others ... Vid at link.

Detectorist hopeful Staffordshire coin find declared as treasure

A metal detectorist, who only took up the hobby last year, has discovered a collection of coins that he hopes will be officially declared as treasure.

Sam Egerton, from Uttoxeter, found the 16 silver coins from the Elizabethan era in a Staffordshire farmer's field. He has now declared the coins to the finds liaison officer for the county.

He hopes his find will also inspire more young people take up the hobby.

Video journalist: Christopher Steers

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-64545387

Some have to wait years before they make a significant find. But others ... Vid at link.

Detectorist hopeful Staffordshire coin find declared as treasure

A metal detectorist, who only took up the hobby last year, has discovered a collection of coins that he hopes will be officially declared as treasure.

Sam Egerton, from Uttoxeter, found the 16 silver coins from the Elizabethan era in a Staffordshire farmer's field. He has now declared the coins to the finds liaison officer for the county.

He hopes his find will also inspire more young people take up the hobby.

Video journalist: Christopher Steers

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-64545387
I'm thinking back now to when I used to go detecting as a young man, and got my first fascination with the hobby. After some time trying various places I found that I seemed to get a sense that there was something in a certain area I was covering that told me there was something there to be found, and I usually did . . . pull rings; scrap bits of iron, big old curtain rings, an old dinky type car without wheels and on one occasion dug up an old hand scythe.
More to the point ~ I loved every minute of it too!

Had a local dig dug on Sunday, first chance to see what lies beneath my feet and I enjoyed the novelty of walking the few hundred yards through my village in full kit. We started on 110 acres of short pasture and the Farmer kept opening gates, so in the end there must have been 200 acres stretching behind the Hartwell Garden Centre, but I was knackered after 5 hours. Saw a lot of junk but also a few roman coins, badly worn hammereds, a piece of Saxon fretwork, not much for me. On the very first hole though I found a shoe buckle - don't switch off - which are not uncommon or particularly interesting except this was intact with the chape (back plate to attach to the shoe), on which there was a maker's mark. Trawled through the buckles on PAS (Portable Antiquity Scheme) and by page 86 had found two similar ones, neither with a chape. A reference to an entry in Ross Whitehead's book (buckle Bible) lead to a description of a maker's mark on a different buckle type.
So a cast copper alloy double looped trapezoidal shoe or knee buckle dating from about AD 1660-1720. Maker mark is possibly HP in a heartshape cartouche. Buckle database maybe embiggeneed by a few millimetres when I report it to PAS.
But I found my personal piece of local history and that was worth the aches and pain carried over this morning at Work.

Buckle_204a1.jpg Buckle_206A1.jpg Buckle_208A1.jpg Buckle_Mark_486b1.jpg

Looking back, I wish I'd had today's knowledge then as I used to occasionally go and pay a visit around those areas coming across various bit's and pieces of 'stuff,' but it was quite a sticky kind of environment to lurk in back then, as the oil and tar used to collect on the banks in some/most areas along the Thames at that time from all the barges and various vessels that used the Thames like a dumping ground - and in fact, probably over many centuries.

What do the detectorists and archaeologists here make of this?

The legal definition of "treasure" could be broadened in a bid to help museums acquire important items.

The wording could be changed following a surge in the number of detectorists unearthing historical artefacts. Arts and Heritage Minister Lord Parkinson said the proposed changes would apply to the Treasure Act 1996. He noted some items have been lost to private ownership, rather than displayed publicly in museums, due to the existing wording.

Under the current definition, an item is categorised as treasure if it is at least 300 years old and made at least in part of precious metal, like gold or silver, or part of a hoard. The proposed changes would mean that this will be amended to cover exceptional finds of at least 200 years old, regardless of the type of metal they are made of.

If a coroner assesses an artefact as meeting the legal definition of treasure, it can be acquired by a museum rather than sold privately to the highest bidder. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64677364

The proposed changes would mean that this will be amended to cover exceptional finds of at least 200 years old, regardless of the type of metal they are made of.

If a coroner assesses an artefact as meeting the legal definition of treasure, it can be acquired by a museum rather than sold privately to the highest bidder. ...

giphy.gif

The word “exceptional” is conveniently vague.

l sense the authorities’ hands creeping into detectorists’ pockets.

maximus otter

giphy.gif

The word “exceptional” is conveniently vague.

l sense the authorities’ hands creeping into detectorists’ pockets.

maximus otter
I'm going to predict that fewer finds will be openly declared and there will be a quiet trade of goods for cash under the table.

As someone looking to take up detectoring as a hobby I don’t know how to feel about this. Important finds should, where relevant, go into a museum with a commensurate finders fee paid to those involved, i.e., the landowner and the detectorist. But I have just seen an article on the news where a museum in Colchester wanted to keep a find that was subsequently sold to an oversees collector. I assume the find wasn’t classed as treasure so the owners were free to dispose of it as they wished.
The museum went bleating to the government and had an order placed on it to prevent it leaving the country. Fine if they then coughed up a similar fee for the object, not so fine if the owners lost out on what was a legal sale.

Another Bronze Age find by a detectorist; if he had a brass neck he wouldn't have declared it.

An "incredibly mysterious" gold Bronze Age penannular ring has been unearthed by a metal detectorist.

The 14.5mm (0.5in) ring, which was found in north Norfolk, was made more than 3,000 years ago.

Finds liaison officer Helen Geake said an "amazing amount of workmanship" went into creating the ring, which is gold-plated over a metal core.

Norfolk Coroner's Court has opened an inquest into the find and Norwich Castle Museum hopes to acquire it.

About 12 gold penannular rings have been found in the county since the Portable Antiquities Scheme was set up in 1997.
Bronze Age penannular ring
IMAGE SOURCE ,ANDREW WILLIAMS/NORFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL Image caption, The people who had the skill to work metal were "seen as almost wizards" during the Bronze Age

Dr Geake said they were "incredibly mysterious" and their exact use was not clear. If they were created to decorate an ear or nose, it was not clear how they were attached, she added.

"All we know is having a lot of gold was important to Bronze Age people and they made the most of the tiniest bits, from sources such as natural gold nuggets," she said.

A penannular ring is a ring with a small part of its circumference missing. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-64890939

Drama: a corrupted map update and a dodgey internet connection took my TomTom Sat Nav down last night. I had to navigate 21 miles to a field today (via M40) using a road atlas. The last 3 miles was down a 1:10 sloping lane wide enough for only one horse and cart.
Action: buttons, BOATs and shotties all gave the same signal - as did my first ring. It's small and lovely and may well be Roman given the age of other finds in the field. Won't clean it further but will try to contact FLO.
Treasure: twelve blokes leaning on shovels whilst watching one dig a hole - mini Roman hoard found at other end of field. 60+ small 3rd Century grots had come up by the time I was ready for home (whichever direction that was in).
Nudity: I need a bath.

Ring_514.jpg Ring_800.jpg

I received my Garrett Ace 400 yesterday. My kids are chipping in with my wife to cover the cost and it is my 60th birthday present. Birthday is tomorrow.
Got approval from my great nephew to use the detector on his farmland. I’m keen to get in ASAP as one field is being bought by developers for yet more housing.
The other good point is the permission he is drawing up will let me use the land for shooting, so when the time is right I may set up a hide there for a bit of pigeon shooting.

Drama: a corrupted map update and a dodgey internet connection took my TomTom Sat Nav down last night. I had to navigate 21 miles to a field today (via M40) using a road atlas. The last 3 miles was down a 1:10 sloping lane wide enough for only one horse and cart.
Action: buttons, BOATs and shotties all gave the same signal - as did my first ring. It's small and lovely and may well be Roman given the age of other finds in the field. Won't clean it further but will try to contact FLO.
Treasure: twelve blokes leaning on shovels whilst watching one dig a hole - mini Roman hoard found at other end of field. 60+ small 3rd Century grots had come up by the time I was ready for home (whichever direction that was in).
Nudity: I need a bath.

View attachment 64252 View attachment 64253
That’s a nice find. What d’you reckon it’s made of?

Dutch historian finds 1000 year old gold treasure

A Dutch historian found unique 1,000-year-old medieval golden treasure, consisting of four golden ear pendants, two strips of gold leaf and 39 silver coins, the Dutch National Museum of Antiquities (Rijksmuseum van Oudheden) announced on Thursday.

Lorenzo Ruijter, 27, who told Reuters he has been treasure hunting since he was 10, discovered the treasure in 2021 in the small northern city of Hoogwoud, using a metal detector.

The most recent coin was dated to around 1250.

While it will remain a mystery why exactly the treasure was buried, the museum pointed out there was a war raging between Dutch regions West Friesland and Holland in the middle of the 13th century, with Hoogwoud being the epicenter.

Given its archaeological significance, the treasure was given as a loan to the museum which will display it, but it will remain the official property of finder Lorenzo Ruijter.
1678661724523.png

1678661748294.png

Back