• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Deep Digger Dan metal detects at Normandy ..

Last edited:
A bit more from Deep Digger Dan ..

New series of the Detectorists starts tonight -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09f2ndg

I am SO looking forward to this! I'm also thrilled we actually got a series three; Mackenzie Crook wasn't at all sure whether there would be for quite a long time. Even if this is the last series, as is rumoured, I'll be happy. I'd hate for it to drag on too long and go a bit rubbish; but two series wouldn't have been enough, IMHO.

It is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful and finely crafted pieces of TV that's been made for many, many years. The characters are so real and well drawn; even the ones that hardly feature have a depth to them, and it's so gorgeously shot.

You might be able to tell that I'm a bit of a fan :)

I am SO looking forward to this! I'm also thrilled we actually got a series three; Mackenzie Crook wasn't at all sure whether there would be for quite a long time. Even if this is the last series, as is rumoured, I'll be happy. I'd hate for it to drag on too long and go a bit rubbish; but two series wouldn't have been enough, IMHO.

It is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful and finely crafted pieces of TV that's been made for many, many years. The characters are so real and well drawn; even the ones that hardly feature have a depth to them, and it's so gorgeously shot.

You might be able to tell that I'm a bit of a fan :)

We've never seen it, should we catch up?

OMG, yes!

It is an absolute little gem; utter perfection, every line, every shot is just perfect. Subscribe to something or buy the DVDs if you have to, you won't regret it!

OMG, yes!

It is an absolute little gem; utter perfection, every line, every shot is just perfect. Subscribe to something or buy the DVDs if you have to, you won't regret it!

Hmmm, can't find it on Sky Catch-Up. Will have to set Techy on it!

You normally find older episodes there when new ones come out. How rude!

Another thumbs up for Detectorists - it's a low key gem. Script & cast are excellent. Music is good too. One episode will be enough to tell if it's for you or not.

Another convert! The first two series are well worth seeing if you can find them.

"I'll treat you to fish and chips"
"Thangyouverymuch"

(In the context of the show, that's hilarious.:rollingw:)

Could Paul be about to defect from Terra Firma? He doesn't look very happy.

I just want to upload a heavy metal music video, but I haven't detected the right thread yet..

All I ever found were rusty old tractor parts and a crushed drinking vessel, possibly from the reign of the Roman emperor Pepsius Maximus.

A hoard of early fourth century Roman coins which was discovered by two metal-detecting enthusiasts is thought to be the largest haul of its kind to be found in Britain.
The discovery was made in July 2017 near the village of Rauceby in Lincolnshire, which detectorists 59-year-old Rob Jones and his friend Craig Paul, 32, had searched for years.
The more than 3,000 copper alloy coins are being examined by The British Museum and will be valued.
The coins were officially declared treasure under the Treasure Act 1996 at Lincoln Coroner's Court on Thursday.

https://news.sky.com/story/biggest-ever-treasure-trove-of-roman-coins-found-in-britain-11716275

Lenborough Anglo Saxon coin hoard valued at £1.35m
7 June 2016

A metal detectorist is to get a share of £1.35m after finding a hoard of 5,251 Anglo Saxon silver coins.
Paul Coleman found the coins in Lenborough, Buckinghamshire, in 2014.
The Treasure Valuation Committee has ruled on their worth and Mr Coleman will split the money with the land owner.
The Buckinghamshire County Museum had already launched a fundraising campaign ahead of the valuation, with the aim of buying the hoard.
The coins, which were found buried and wrapped in a [lead] sheet in the village near Buckingham, depict the heads of King Ethelred the Unready and King Canute and came from 40 different mints around England.

Mr Coleman, who lives in Southampton and is a member of the Weekend Wanderers Detecting Club, said he was accepting the valuation and wanted the hoard to go to the Buckinghamshire County Museum.

I went to see the Lenborough Hoard at the Aylesbury County Museum last summer and was ... underwhelmed. There were only about 50 coins in a pile, so no idea what happened to the other 5,200 that the Museum had paid so much for. I joined this particular Detecting Club a couple of years after the find (by coincidence) and they are lovely - the finds being more modest most trips.
I'm not very good at detecting so my star finds are not valuable but the blood mud sweat piss and tears makes them memorable to me. First find was a blurry key that would have been missed if I'd increased the discrimination (what did it open ?). The second was a blurry livery button which (if you screw your eyes up) shows a Wyvern pierced by an arrow What makes this a great find for me is that the information on the back of the button lets me actually date it (1839-49) and the company, Fermin, is still in business making buttons today in Birmingham. 20 years after that button was made, Firmin were producing uniform buttons and cap badges to both sides in the American Civil War.

key.jpg Dragon0138A.jpg

When detectorists go bad..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-50516329
Two metal detectorists have been jailed for stealing a £3m Viking hoard.
George Powell and Layton Davies uncovered about 300 coins in a field in Eye, near Leominster, Herefordshire, in 2015, but did not declare the treasure, instead selling it to dealers.
They were convicted of theft and concealing their find, with Powell, 38, jailed for 10 years and Layton, 51, for eight-and-a-half.
Sentencing, Judge Nicholas Cartwright said they had "cheated" the public.

They have sold most of it so it has gone forever. :(

Back