• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I am not sure what your point is?

It wasn't a reflection on you, rather on the perverse sentencing you report:

Stealing old coins = bad.

Stealing old coins = worse than fucking up a woman's life, probably forever?

I disagree.

maximus otter

It wasn't a reflection on you, rather on the perverse sentencing you report:

Stealing old coins = bad.

I disagree.

maximus otter
Ah I see. I had thought that initially but then the article seemed really disapproving of that sentence length so I just wanted to clarify!

... Stealing old coins = bad.
I disagree.

Could the relative sentencing oddness have something to do with the minimum time served (until possible parole) requirements?

In the multitudinous US judicial systems there are commonly different criteria imposed for minimum time served depending on the type of crime, and crimes against property are generally considered less severe than crimes against people (especially personal crimes involving violence).

Could the relative sentencing oddness have something to do with the minimum time served (until possible parole) requirements?

In the multitudinous US judicial systems there are commonly different criteria imposed for minimum time served depending on the type of crime, and crimes against property are generally considered less severe than crimes against people (especially personal crimes involving violence).

Determinate prison sentences - fixed length of time

A ‘determinate’ prison sentence is for a fixed length of time.

If the sentence is for 12 months or more

For prison sentences of 12 months or more the person spends the first half of the sentence in prison and the second half in the community ‘on licence’.

If they break any licence conditions - eg they commit another crime - they could go back to prison.

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-prison-sentence/determinate-prison-sentences-fixed-length-of-time

Discretionary Conditional Release (DCR)

Those sentenced to four years or more can be released on parole after serving half their sentence, but are automatically released on licence after serving two thirds of the sentence.

https://www.wwmcrc.co.uk/page.php?Plv=3&P1=5&P2=16&P3=12

maximus otter

I think in the UK you are automatically released after only half your sentence for everything except some very extreme types of murder.
(edit - or rather what Max said)

Have not been out with a metal detector for what seems a very long time and as it's my only means of unwinding, I am having severe withdrawal effects. Here's something I prepared earlier: January 2019, cold and miserable day in Bucks with no-one within our small band having any real finds. One chap had brought his seven year old daughter and got a hit about 8-10 inches down in a paddock - I was lucky to be heading for the hot water urn at base camp when they turned up with the find.
Charles I twenty shillings (a gold Unite) from about 1642. This was the second gold coin I've seen - they really do come out the ground all shiny - but the first I was allowed to photograph (thank you little Evie !). The lift to spirits and morale was just what our club needed, it was a good day. Pity the poor sod who had lost the coin though.

GOLD0200B.jpg GOLD0201B.jpg

Have not been out with a metal detector for what seems a very long time and as it's my only means of unwinding, I am having severe withdrawal effects. Here's something I prepared earlier: January 2019, cold and miserable day in Bucks with no-one within our small band having any real finds. One chap had brought his seven year old daughter and got a hit about 8-10 inches down in a paddock - I was lucky to be heading for the hot water urn at base camp when they turned up with the find.
Charles I twenty shillings (a gold Unite) from about 1642. This was the second gold coin I've seen - they really do come out the ground all shiny - but the first I was allowed to photograph (thank you little Evie !). The lift to spirits and morale was just what our club needed, it was a good day. Pity the poor sod who had lost the coin though.

View attachment 26340 View attachment 26341

Wow! Did he do the Gold Dance?

I believe that an infantryman in the Civil War earned about one shilling per day, so that’s about three weeks’ wages for a fighting man in 1642.

maximus otter

I go metal detecting (very unsuccessfully)I must say.And yes you do get both sides of people good and bad but the club i am in is very good and very keen on reporting finds etc and has a very good rapport with their finds officer.
A small club so not absolutely blitzing an area.Some other clubs are run on a profit making angle and you tend to get the arsey pillocks in them.
Speaking from experience here but all the members are very generous with their time and knowledge .
I think i have found enough broken/rusted tractor parts to build my own :p

Oh oh I’ve just remembered I was reading one of the it happened to me books and that had an article in it from a metal detectorist about one of his finds.

Wow! Did he do the Gold Dance?

I believe that an infantryman in the Civil War earned about one shilling per day, so that’s about three weeks’ wages for a fighting man in 1642.

maximus otter

No Gold Dance, no mention of a Bobby Dazzler. I read somewhere that an Elizabethan gentleman could live on £12 a year, so a monthly allowance could well be worth three weeks wages for a fighting man some 80 years later. The modern equivalent would be, say £2,000 - just what you'd pay for a Charles I Unite coin in similar condition from a numismatist nowadays.

I was looking out of the train window last month in undisguised envy at two metal detectorists peering into a freshly dug hole in an otherwise empty 30 acre field. Lucky sods. My own attempts at detecting had been severely curtailed by the continuous wet weather at the beginning of the year and then the lock-down. Over the weeks I eventually went a bit off the rails and onto Ebay and bought a pile of metal detected objects found by some-one else. This was a predictable collection of cartridge cases, old pennies, crotal bells, musket balls, livery buttons, and 'things' - nothing rare or of real value but far better than my usual haul of nails. I spent two very enjoyable evenings with a magnifying glass looking at and identifying (most of) the items on a tray and then went back on Ebay. By my fourth lot, the prices starting raising dramatically and I decided enough was enough. By the eighth lot I definitely decided no more and now will move onto phase 2 ie calibration of my detector. I intend to bury the finds, but as I don't have a garden the finds will have to be lost under a blanket under the carport and then detected again. Then they'll be lost under the neighbour's flower pot to see the difference in the signal strength. Phase 3 will be a - nah, more on that later, I finish phase 2 first.
I've picked some of my favourite items: a lead legless horse, an acorn pommel head, an embossed beetle, a 1661 zloty and I always wanted to find a ring, with a finger still in it - I now have a sheet metal hand with a ring. Cool.

Hoards_0791.jpg Hoard_0800.jpg

More musing on the metal hand I got in one of the treasure hoards from ebay (previous post RHS) - it's one of my favourite artifacts. I saw something similar but more complete in another lot and I thought the hand could be part of a Victorian glove clip. Photos in ebay don't give much in the way of scale and it wasn't until I bought (and identified) the clip and put it side by side with the hand that I have my doubts again.
I've found photos of an antique glove clip and a pair of gloves to show how they were used.

Glove_clip0835.jpg

Vintage hand clip.jpg glove clip.jpg

Sometimes the hobby pays off handsomely ...
Treasure hunters find $130,000 worth of silver coins behind British pub

A team of treasure hunters using metal detectors in a field behind a British pub discovered an estimated $130,000 worth of coins dating from the 15th to 17th centuries.

Luke Mahoney, 40, said he and friends Dan Hunt and Matt Brown received permission from property owners Charlie and James Buckle to search the 15-acre field behind the Lindey Rose pub in Lindsey, Suffolk, England.

The trio used their metal detectors to search the field for three days and ended up unearthing a total 1,061 silver hammered coins believed to date from the 15th to 17th centuries.

Expert appraiser Nigel Mills estimated the coins could fetch up to $130,000 in an auction.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...ilver-coins-behind-British-pub/7671596477171/

I go metal detecting (very unsuccessfully)I must say.And yes you do get both sides of people good and bad but the club i am in is very good and very keen on reporting finds etc and has a very good rapport with their finds officer.
A small club so not absolutely blitzing an area.Some other clubs are run on a profit making angle and you tend to get the arsey pillocks in them.
Speaking from experience here but all the members are very generous with their time and knowledge .
I think i have found enough broken/rusted tractor parts to build my own :p
Just brought back an old school tune... "We plough the fields and scatter... " comes to mind here!

Detectorist 'shaking with happiness' after Bronze Age find

A metal detectorist was left "shaking with happiness" after discovering a hoard of Bronze Age artefacts in the Scottish Borders.

A complete horse harness and sword was uncovered by Mariusz Stepien at the site near Peebles in June. ...

The soil had preserved the leather and wood, allowing experts to trace the straps that connected the rings and buckles.

This allowed the experts to see for the first time how Bronze Age horse harnesses were assembled. ...

Archaeologists found a sword still in its scabbard, decorated straps, buckles, rings, ornaments and chariot wheel axle caps.

There is also evidence of a decorative "rattle pendant" that would have hung from the harness, the first to be found in Scotland, and only the third in the UK.

Emily Freeman, head of the Crown Office's Treasure Trove Unit, said it was "a nationally-significant find." ...

FULL STORY: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-53714864

Morning bungle have you managed to get out detecting yet.
I’m allowed on a few fields near me and the farmer has harvested them so I might have a go this week.
Never found anything worthwhile on them yet but you never know

Well thank you very much for asking :) - I'm still grinning over my very first hammered coin found yesterday in a ploughed field in Oxfordshire.
It's an Elizabeth I silver three-farthing (3/4d) 1562: "ROSA SINE SPINA" on the obverse ("a Rose without a Thorn"). It hasn't photographed too well under a magnifier glass and its only 14mm in diameter - that's how I know its a three-farthing, (16mm for a three-halfpence, 19mm for a three-pence). I think I might pluck up the courage to ask local farmers if I can go out again.

Hammered_0066.jpg Hammered_0068.jpg

Ohh wow bungle that’s a brilliant find.Its mainly victorian coins I find (rarely)but hoping one day to find something like that.Have you seen escargots story about the seal matrix that’s been found.
Best of luck when you go out detecting :bthumbup:

When you find a small piece of corroded metal the same colour as the mud it's encased in and you're tired and fed-up and realise this is the longest you've been without either a coffee or wee in many years - the eye of faith can sometimes see patterns or words on your treasure. These normally disappear as soon as you soak it in a thermos cup of tea and reveal yet another bit of iron pot or tractor part.
Two weeks ago (before rain stopped play) I found a thing in a brassica patch in Oxon and I reckoned I saw a pair of legs and a staff on it, even after the thermos test. As British Royalty do not put knee-caps on currency, that makes it probably Roman. My Club leader agreed, Emperor with a staff in one hand and holding a captive by a neck rope in the other. So either Emperor Valens (Eastern provinces 364-378), killed along with most of his army by the Visi-Goths at Adrianople, or his brother Valentinian (Western provinces 364-375) or Gratian (367-383) (all used the same non-specific head). I have better Roman coins obtained from eBay, I was more excited by the Elizabethan hammered I found (the smallest minted coin in circulation with a date), even though my Roman was in the ground for twelve hundred years longer - but it was my first found, another milestone.

Valen_0083a.jpg valen_064.jpg

Cor nice one bungle I’ve not been out yet.Had kidney stones removed and cancer tumour so on the road to recovery.
Got the beloved to drive me round the fields I’m allowed on.All harvested so will soon be on them.nice find mate

Cor nice one bungle I’ve not been out yet.Had kidney stones removed and cancer tumour so on the road to recovery.
Got the beloved to drive me round the fields I’m allowed on.All harvested so will soon be on them.nice find mate

Oooh, take it easy! Don't go wearing yourself out!

For goodness sake you've been in the wars, I can sympathise with kidney stones but I don't want to even think about a tumour.
May your road to recovery be swift and littered with hammereds. And stay out of the wind mate.

Morning bungle and everyone.
Daft as it sounds the end result of all this is good because if I did not have the kidney stones removed they would not have spotted the tiny little tumour in the bladder and 2 to 3 years from now it would have been far far worse.
I have been told that I’m cancer free and just waiting for further treatment.
Hopefully will be out this weekend and find summat thanks for the message mate

Morning bungle and everyone.
Daft as it sounds the end result of all this is good because if I did not have the kidney stones removed they would not have spotted the tiny little tumour in the bladder and 2 to 3 years from now it would have been far far worse.
I have been told that I’m cancer free and just waiting for further treatment.
Hopefully will be out this weekend and find summat thanks for the message mate

:D

Back