• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Not unless he wrote a play called, "Dolphin Morris Men". I haven't checked.

However, I do know a few members of Sergeant Musgraves.
I knew them before they were Sergeant Musgraves :p I seriously don't want to blow my cover, but I was one of two left-handed accordionists in the Portland Poklers band. I gather that the Poklers disbanded shortly after I left their home town (I assume the two events were not related...), and a lot of them went on to join Musgraves. Wow, thinking about it, we're talking at least two decades ago... :omr:

Called today at a cafe connected to one of these show caverns, I call there just for a brew a few times a year just when I am passing, now a few years back the caverns flooded and water rushed out and across the carpark like a good size river, this is what it looks like now,

J61RYxL.jpg

This is what it was like in the flood this is a pic of a large banner that as been there for a year or two and I often look at it but this time something stood out, look around the middle slightly to the right and you can make out a yellow blob that seems to be suspended above the hand rail.

VAUDC4r.jpg

This is a close up of that blob, it is a yellow hard hat, I did ask one of the guides why it seemed to be floating in mid air he thought it was hooked on to a fence but it did not look that way to me, he did have about 3 looks at it but did not seem to go for my explanation that the guy wearing it had run so fast he had left his hat in mid air.

gq40Fjm.jpg

It does look a bit strange and why after so long and many visits I suddenly noticed it I don't know.

Called today at a cafe connected to one of these show caverns, I call there just for a brew a few times a year just when I am passing, now a few years back the caverns flooded and water rushed out and across the carpark like a good size river, this is what it looks like now,

That is most peculiar. Well spotted! I know its perhaps hard to tell on a photograph of a photograph, but I can't see anything the hat would be attached to. I like your cartoon explanation :)

It does look a bit strange and why after so long and many visits I suddenly noticed it I don't know.

Maybe it wasn't in the photograph last time you looked.... :nods:

J61RYxL.jpg

This is what it was like in the flood this is a pic of a large banner that as been there for a year or two and I often look at it but this time something stood out, look around the middle slightly to the right and you can make out a yellow blob that seems to be suspended above the hand rail.

VAUDC4r.jpg

This is a close up of that blob, it is a yellow hard hat, I did ask one of the guides why it seemed to be floating in mid air he thought it was hooked on to a fence but it did not look that way to me, he did have about 3 looks at it but did not seem to go for my explanation that the guy wearing it had run so fast he had left his hat in mid air.

gq40Fjm.jpg

On a site I found photos which were supposed to be from 2006. No helmet on those photos.

https://www.trada.co.uk/case-studies/white-scar-caves-ingleton-yorkshire/

The wife reported that last week she was at home in the evening completely alone and standing at the kitchen sink. She distinctly felt someone place their hand on her left hip. She actually turned to see who it was before realizing there was nobody in the house apart from a couple of cats.

She's never had a Fortean experience as far as I know. The house is quiet, we had a brief ghost cat (felt and heard never seen), after Old Granddad died but that faded. edit: I think the wife heard ghost cat once. Also things go missing pretty often and show up in odd places. I'm the one who has seen and heard stuff but never felt there is any sort of presence in the house.

Last edited:
Another slight strangeness today, out on the scooter and passed a woman with a handbag in one hand and a lead in the other, looked like she was off to the shops, strangeness was that on the lead was a very well looked after looking fully grown sheep, the sheep looked happy enough and was snatching mouth fulls of grass from the edge of the road, we are quite countryfied here but there's a first time for everything.

Another slight strangeness today, out on the scooter and passed a woman with a handbag in one hand and a lead in the other, looked like she was off to the shops, strangeness was that on the lead was a very well looked after looking fully grown sheep, the sheep looked happy enough and was snatching mouth fulls of grass from the edge of the road, we are quite countryfied here but there's a first time for everything.

That's more than just minor strangeness!

My husband has come across a couple in our village who walk their goat on a lead together with their two dogs!

Iv'e seen cats and ferrets, and there was a bloke that used to take a pig to work with him but not seen a sheep before.

We had a neighbor some years ago who had a chihuahua and a cat. She would take the dog for a walk on a leash each evening and the cat would often accompany them, scurrying along behind, trotting ahead, jumping onto our back fence and walking along the top of it just to annoy our dog. The cat pretty well stayed in its own yard otherwise, at least as far as we could tell.

My Daughters cat follows them to the shop now and then and as Austin Popper says in his post it sort of flits about not walking with them but keeping up, one of them then has to sit outside the shop with him till the other comes out and they all walk home.
There's a youngish bloke in our village that walks up the beach don't know were he comes from but he walks at least half a mile carrying a cat, once at the far end he puts the cat down and they both walk back don't know if the cat enjoys it or not but it does not seem to want to walk on the way out.

A cat on a beach is going to think it's in the biggest litter tray ever.
Back when Adam and Joe were still doing radio, they had a correspondent who'd taken a train ride in Ireland. The conductor came round and checked their ticket, and then he picked up an empty pop bottle on the table and chucked it out the window! In response to the passenger's horrified facial expression, the conductor simply observed: "It's the litter bin that never fills up."

A fair litter tray, I have driven down part of it about 4 miles till you get to places you cant take a normal car though were ever you go you have to be wary of soft sand and this is just the little bit near us, aircraft land here regularly here's the beach on a busy day.

r4Ukh2f.jpg

My daugher's cat comes with me when I take the dogs on the last walk of the day, after work at around 10.30pm. Only ever that walk though. And she comes whether I've fed her or not, the only way to stop her coming is to shut her in the house. The neighbours think it's hilarious, watching a pair of terriers coming along with a black and white cat stropping alongside the old terrier, rubbing against her and generally making a nuisance of herself.

Scares the life out of me because she doesn't always get out of the way when a car comes. Fortunately it's a very quiet village road with hardly any cars and she's mostly white so they pick her up in the headlights.

Back when Adam and Joe were still doing radio, they had a correspondent who'd taken a train ride in Ireland. The conductor came round and checked their ticket, and then he picked up an empty pop bottle on the table and chucked it out the window! In response to the passenger's horrified facial expression, the conductor simply observed: "It's the litter bin that never fills up."
Well, that's a guy who needs a telling-off.

I've just asked Mr Zebra about this cuz he used to work on a farm and is quite knowledgeable about farming things. He says sheep can be trained to walk on leads and so can cows :eek: *

If they are tame enough and trust you enough they will happily walk beside you. So there you go, I didn't know that.

* You'd need a big poop-scoop for cows though.

You have to train them to walk beside you for when you show them.

Nods wisely. I used to halter-break Jersey cows for a living, back in the day. Not as hard as you'd think.

bit of minor strangeness for me the other day, me and the wife have just had 3 days in York, so as you do we went to the museum. walking round the exhibits, we came across one telling stories etc about WW1. the walls in the section we were in have many tales,poems etc written by the poor guys in the thick of it.
Anyway there i am just reading a certain poem when on the speakers in the room came someone reading that exact same poem, i had to do the classic double take thinking "ooh thats weird"
Then, just as we were exiting the room, there i am just starting to read another poem when - yep you guessed it - the same thing happened again. as i said there are lots of verses etc on the walls which made me think it was rather strange??

weirdass cinema mensroom experienza !
went to see a terrible movie tonight, horrible actually, not often we walk out before its over

however, after we had first sat down and before the film started i dove to the mens room (this is the vue cinema, printworks, manchester) for a slash ... line of cubicles when you walk in there so i darted into the first, dont think anyone else was in there ... partway through i saw a shadow move along the floor, thrown by someone entering the adjacent cubicle ... ten seconds later i left cubicle walked over to sinks and in so doing was aware from peripheral vision of someone in blue jeans and light converse stood in the corner of the mensroom, but not where the urinals are, literally a corner ... im in front of the mirror, no one left, mid hand wash i walked over to check ... no one there, all cubicles empty, stepped into the corridor, also no one there

weirdly the peripheral vision thing only applied to the, er, waist down

not my strangest mensroom encounter

Never found a use for sheep shit.

It's a useful extemporised navigation aid when out walking. Seriously: Examine fresh sheep turds and you'll find that the south end tends to be drier than the north end. This is because the sun rises in the southeast and sets in the southwest, so the south end of the dropping is more exposed to it.

Also, the prevailing wind in the UK is from the southwest, which tends to dry the south end of the plop first.

You're welcome.

maximus otter

Not been to the museum in a long time Plastic, but it wasn't one of those exhibits where there are sensors that read out the poem you're standing in front of, was it? Designed for those with less than optimal eyesight?

It's a useful extemporised navigation aid when out walking. Seriously: Examine fresh sheep turds and you'll find that the south end tends to be drier than the north end. This is because the sun rises in the southeast and sets in the southwest, so the south end of the dropping is more exposed to it.

Also, the prevailing wind in the UK is from the southwest, which tends to dry the south end of the plop first.

You're welcome.

maximus otter
On my bucket list.

Back