• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

special_farces said:
Have you changed the browsers 'View' zoom size?
I had a quick look earlier but couldn't find anything. But I just looked again, and did find the zoom facility. It's under a heading called New Window, rather confusingly. (And you only find that by running your browser over a line of icons, and trying any drop-down menus.)

So, the status quo is now restored! 8)

rynner2 said:
So, the status quo is now restored! 8)
Just after posting that I went to the Independent web page - and the formatting was all screwed up! :shock:

But the Beeb, Telegraph and Guardian are all OK, so I guess the Indie is having a funny five minutes! :?

Perhaps the Indie is messing about with HTML 5. I think we're in for a year or two of page rendering problems as browsers and sites adapt at different speeds. Noticed a few sites, including parts of the beeb, are now offering or redirecting users to 'beta' sites trialling, I suspect, 5 features.

special_farces said:
Perhaps the Indie is messing about with HTML 5. I think we're in for a year or two of page rendering problems as browsers and sites adapt at different speeds. Noticed a few sites, including parts of the beeb, are now offering or redirecting users to 'beta' sites trialling, I suspect, 5 features.

Good point there.

A few curious finds from Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patlejch/6308653374/in/photostream
The Second Coming
A secret code, found at a construction site, imprinted on a wooden pallet.
Nürnberg, Germany

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patlejch/6411132379/in/photostream
Intriguing abstract patterns on the top of an electricity box.
Prague, Czech Republic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nad/6392077405/in/photostream
Rosicrucian decay of the sex organs

It doesn't mean anything, just getting it down in black and white. You never know :lol:

5 November 2011. Dreamt of a British news programme, along the lines of Sky News. Blonde, female newsreader says,
“The decomposed body of the comedian was found in his car”.

11 November 2011. Dreamt of an American TV current affairs/news type show. Bryce Dallas Howard read,
“Hundreds of viewers have reported seeing ghostly faces 1 min and 11 secs into every episode of Angels In America”.

That second one interests me because it's quite out-there. Haven't seen Angels In America for a great many years...early 2000's, when was it on TV??? Nope, can't remember.
Anyway, ignore me :oops:

Fear not. I once excitedly reported an apparently prophetic dream on here about the short illness and abrupt death of Tom Jones. :shock:

He is still however gyrating, sweating and probably wiping his face on female audience members' carefully-aimed underthings as we speak. :lol:

Hahaha, just saw a trailer on Sky News. Apparently Angels In America is going to be rerun on Sky Atlantic in December.

Behold, I can predict reruns! :lol:

whiteoak said:
Hahaha, just saw a trailer on Sky News. Apparently Angels In America is going to be rerun on Sky Atlantic in December.

Behold, I can predict reruns! :lol:

I don't recall any ghosts in it but there are, er, angels. That and lots of very arch dialogue.

I was standing in the departure hall of Schiphol airport looking at the newspapers and thinking about buying a Financial Times.
The floor of the hall is made from smooth marble tiles.
From somewhere a 2-euro coin came rolling and it bumped into my left foot and came to a standstill.
I looked conspicuously around me to see if anyone was aware of losing the coin. After some time still no one came, so I picked the coin up and put it in my pocket.
I'm a superstitious person, so later I gave the coin away to one of those irritating east-european beggars with accordion.

Ok, here's my minor fortean happening:

Myself and my partner were recently at my cousins wedding. Her father had died a year beforehand and as a kid he had always been really kind to me. He had an odd nickname for me "Jemima", and as a child it annoyed me that he used it rather than my real name :roll: :lol:
I'd never told anyone about it as I remember how annoyed I used to get as a kid.

Ok, so it's the morning of the wedding, me and my partner are getting ready and he turns to me and says "You look lovely, Jemima" :shock:

He has never used that name for me before, and he sure as heck didn't know about my uncle using that name for me. I stood stunned before explaining to him the significance of the name and he too is taken aback. I later told my cousin about this at her wedding reception and she was touched that her father was with us on that day.

I don't believe in an afterlife but that really shocked me. He hasn't used that name for me since!

That's a good one, I wonder, did you look like the doll of the same name from Play School when you were little?

Hi,

No I didn't/don't look like Jemima from playschool lol *mores the pity* 8)

When I told Mr.Cherrybomb about the significance of the name, he said he hadn't really been thinking about what he was saying and it just slipped out :roll:

Now I know that noone else in either of our families has that name or any of our friends, so it's all rather strange :?

My partner had never met my uncle and the first time he had anything to do with him (so to speak) was when he came with me to my uncles funeral :cry:

It's just one of those nice/odd things that happen! 8)

Something reminded me if this event today, so I thought I would post about it here. It isn't quite significant enough to warrant its own thread, so here we go.

In Japan, so many years after someone has died, you have a series of follow up funeral sort of things. Everyone gathers, the family pulls out the ashes, you call in a priest and basically redo the funeral. (At least this is the case with well-to-do families, I think it is a much smaller affair for the average household.)

My husband's grandfather passed away a year or two before we met. A few years after we married, his 7th year funeral thing was held. Everyone gathered at the family home where his altar and ashes are held, and did the whole bit. After doing the funeral ceremony, everyone cleaned up and were getting ready for dinner. The 7 year affair was a family thing, but dinner afterward was a neighborhood thing with people who had known him stopping by to pay respects.

I, the awkward new wife, had no idea what to do so was just walking around trying to keep out of everyone's way. Someone had stopped by and was visiting in the living room, so I sort of stopped and stood in the doorway between the living and dining rooms. I was standing there for a bit when someone tapped me on the shoulder to get me to move out of the way. (There were two main ways people come into the house, through the front entrance leading into the hallway in front of the living room, and through the service kitchen which is connected by a small door to the family kitchen and dining room. I was blocking one of the main routes.) I quickly moved to let them through and apologize... And no one was there.
I had very clearly felt the firm tap (pat?) on the shoulder. There was absolutely no reason for me to think that it was anything other than someone wanting through. I was completely ready to apologize for standing there so long and blocking the way... But there was no one to apologize to.
Actually, I did start apologizing as I turned and moved out of the way, but it sort of died halfway through. Sister-in-law asked me what was wrong.

I have to say I felt a serious chill.

But at least it didn't feel hostile. Just a friendly pat on the shoulder to get me to move out of the doorway.

Another minor happening....

The other morning, at IIRC about 5.30am, I woke up after hearing a man's voice very loud and clearly, shout my name. It made me jump, & it wasn't part of the dream I was having. Noone else was in the house at the time (unless one of the cats has started speaking human :lol: )
So, it's another little mystery :D

However, at least I wasn't late for work that day...

cherrybomb said:
The other morning, at IIRC about 5.30am, I woke up after hearing a man's voice very loud and clearly, shout my name. It made me jump, & it wasn't part of the dream I was having. Noone else was in the house at the time (unless one of the cats has started speaking human :lol: )
We have a thread on that sort of thing:

Hearing your name called
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23785

oh, thanks rynner2! :D

I'll get used to the search function one of these days ;)

We've discussed missing socks before, but today I had the opposite happen - one came back!

If I find I have an odd sock after doing my laundry, I put it on my bedroom radiator in case its partner turns up later. (Or in case I get another odd sock similar enough that I can make a pair - who would notice if one was black and the other dark blue? 8) )

But when I did a wash earlier this week there were no odd socks, and the same thing the previous wash, so it was looking increasing unlikely that the three socks on the radiator would ever find their partners.

As I was getting dressed today, I pulled on a T=shirt, and then I noticed a sock on the floor. At first I thought I'd knocked it off the radiator, but when I picked it up I realised it matched one of the odd threesome, which were still in place! So I guessed the sock had been caught up with the T-shirt and came free when I put it on. In a way this was no surprise - that T-shirt builds up terrific static in the tumble-dryer, and things do stick to it. I must have missed the sock when I folded the T-shirt.

So the real mystery is, where was the missing sock for the last few weeks? And how did it find its way back into the laundry bag? (I empty the bag completely when I do a wash.) :?

Ha! I recently had something very similar happen - a sock that had been missing for a fairly long time turned up spontaneously next to the bed one morning.

I was puzzled, but then I realized we'd changed the bedding the night before. My theory is that it got tangled up with the bedding and we somehow managed to miss it when we folded it and put it away.

It took us a while to cycle back to that particular set of bedding, and I was glad I'd saved the single sock so it could be reunited with its prodigal sibling. :)

We - Techie, my fortean Snailette and myself - celebrated the Solstice at Stonehenge this morning. Lots of photos were taken, including this one, which appears to show a rather wry face on one of the stones! :lol:

Dunno if this has been spotted before. The photo has not been 'shopped or otherwise doctored.
Looks like someone was amused! :D

escargot1 said:
We - Techie, my fortean Snailette and myself - celebrated the Solstice at Stonehenge this morning. Lots of photos were taken, including this one, which appears to show a rather wry face on one of the stones! :lol:

Dunno if this has been spotted before. The photo has not been 'shopped or otherwise doctored.
Looks like someone was amused! :D

That one's got secrets, he has. Thanks for sharing, and good Solstice to you!

Wow a great find, Escargot1! Even the stones we having fun! :D

Back