• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

kmossel said:
Ha! I recently had something very similar happen - a sock that had been missing for a fairly long time turned up spontaneously next to the bed one morning.

I was puzzled, but then I realized we'd changed the bedding the night before. My theory is that it got tangled up with the bedding and we somehow managed to miss it when we folded it and put it away.

A lady's single sock once turned up in Mr Snail's bedding. It took some persuading for me to believe that it'd got mixed up with his laundry somehow. I'm still not sure.

And I kept the sock. If I ever meet a woman wearing the other one, she'll have some explaining to do. :evil:

I've been living here for over five years now, and in that time I've found two pairs of knickers behind different radiators. One pair was large, the other small, so I can only assume they belonged to two previous residents, who'd left their smalls to dry on the radiators and not noticed they'd gone missing.

When I go, they'll probably just find odd socks.

rynner2 said:
I've been living here for over five years now, and in that time I've found two pairs of knickers behind different radiators. One pair was large, the other small, so I can only assume they belonged to two previous residents, who'd left their smalls to dry on the radiators and not noticed they'd gone missing.

When I go, they'll probably just find odd socks.

When I move, the next owners will find a CD behind one of the radiators. I wasn't able to retrieve it, ah well.

escargot1 said:
And I kept the sock. If I ever meet a woman wearing the other one, she'll have some explaining to do. :evil:
Not least about how long she's been wearing just one sock...

Lol! We found a child's sock at the bottom of our washing pile yesterday. We don;t have kids so, goodness only knows where it came from! :lol:

Peripart said:
escargot1 said:
Not least about how long she's been wearing just one sock...

Might be one of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

cherrybomb said:
Lol! We found a child's sock at the bottom of our washing pile yesterday. We don;t have kids so, goodness only knows where it came from! :lol:

I blame our cats.

the amount of random stuff I have found after the eldest has come in unsupervised, like those alice bands that don't belong to either of us...

Just a minor bit of weirdness that happened over xmas at my parent's house:
the first was related to me by my mum a couple of days after the fact, they had a couple of friends over for dinner and, as usual on these occasions, wine. As they were sat round the table enjoying the festivities they had opened abottle of wine and left it on the floor by the wall to breathe. It was put in some sort of bottle stand which is basically a wooden base with a 2-3" collar which i presume is to catch any drips and keeps the bottle steady on the carpet.
Anyhoo they were sat eating, talking etc when the bottle that had been breathing for about 20 mins upended all over the floor. None can work out exactly how this has occurred as it shouldnt be able to just tip, being sat in the stand- which was still in place, not tipped up with the bottle. in theory it would have to have risen up 2 or 3" to overcome the edge of the stand.
i presume much mopping up ensued.
The room that this happened in has never had any strange things happen in there before that i'm aware of tho the previous owner did die in there of suffocation, or smoke inhalation. This was probably getting on for 50 years ago.
the second sort-of-thing that happened was a couple of days ago, about a week after the wine bottle. i was sitting at the kitchen table with my back to this room when i felt and heard a breath on the back of my neck. i turned round expecting one of the kids to be there and was confronted by no-one..
will await any further shenanigans :)

jacolantern said:
...they had opened a bottle of wine and left it on the floor by the wall to breathe...
Off-topic, I know, but that almost belongs in "Urban Legends". The neck of a wine bottle, so I'm told, is way too narrow for any significant "breathing" to occur. If you don't have a wide-necked decanter, you might as well just slap it straight in the glass. Sorry to divert the thread - indeed, there's every chance I'm talking rubbish anyway...

ok that sounds reasonable, i've seen various strange looking decanters and whatnot for sale that allege to allow a larger volume of air into the wine when its poured in due to some glass contortions inside. (or somesuch).
this by the way is what i presumed was the reason for the opened bottle on the floor-it may just have been that all bottles were opened at the same time to avoid having to go back into the kitchen mid meal.

Don't know if this is art, religion, or politics, so it goes here for now!

Mysterious Russian sign appears in Falmouth
9:06am Wednesday 18th January 2012

A mystery sign that appeared on a Falmouth street last week has had residents and passers-by baffled.
The sign, which was inscribed with Cyrllic text – the alphabet used in Russia and some Eastern European countries – was spotted in front of the church of King Charles the Martyr.

Reverend Stephen Tudgey, from the church, said he was unaware of any connection it might have with Church of England, while PC Barry Nicholas, who saw the sign whilst out on duty, said: “students were looking at it calling it art.”

Sally Grint, speaking for the University College Falmouth, said that to her knowledge, it was nothing to do with them.
“It’s a mystery,” she said, “The one thing that springs to mind is the Guy Martin photography exhibition that we have had a campaign with around town, but that’s got nothing to do with it.
“We can’t take ownership of it and we don’t know anything about it.”

A rough translation of the sign, provided by some of the Packet’s followers on social networking website Twitter, reads: "Sorry, freedom of speech has to be cancelled today due to ignorance.”

It is not known what connection the words “Blue Pear,” displayed at the bottom of the sign, have to any local businesses or organisations.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fp ... _Falmouth/

Dunno how plausible this sounds, but i can imagine a 'student prank' whereby exchange students or similar have gone on a trip to Russia, nicked a road sign and bunged it in the vehicle they were travelling in, forgot it was there, got back to England, found it in their vehicle and decided to dump it somewhere conspicuous for a laugh. I expect that the text has been mis-translated anyway.

That could be it, there are a lot of students in/area Falmouth. Also, there is a growing Russian community in Cornwall, maybe someone thought it would be funny to put a Russian sign out.

But why would it say blue pear in English? blue pear is a record company by the way.

I’ve been reading these forums for a long while and a magazine subscriber since my early teens, but I thought it was time that I shared some of my strange happenings. This is just a minor strangeness that has bugged me, as I can’t explain it.

A little bit of background:
I have lived in my current house for 5 years now; it was previously owned by my grandmother and aunt respectively (both deceased) and has been in the family for almost 30 years. There has been no report of any unexplained happenings, before this incident, and the house has always had a happy “feel” to it. (I grew up in a house full of strange and spooky goings on, so I know how bad an atmosphere a house can have! But that’s a whole other story)

It was the summer of 2008 and I was working in our home office (which is the smallest bedroom). Our desk was small, just big enough for the monitor, keyboard, mouse and the pile of papers I was working from. After a few hours work, I went to the bathroom which was directly opposite the office, I was gone just a few minutes and there was no-one else was in the house.

On my return, I felt a sort of electricity in the air, which made my skin prickle slightly. It was then I noticed a cardboard box had appeared on the desk, positioned directly in front of the mouse, monitor and keyboard. It was positioned in such a way that it was impossible to use the computer with it there and It was so large it took up all of the desk space. What made it doubly strange was that I had never seen the box before in my life!

It was a printer toner box, which my husband had bought the day previously. I have no idea how it could have got there, my husband said he thought that he had left it on the desk the day before, which was impossible as it was not there when I started work that morning and I had not put it there after either?? It had just appeared from somewhere, it had certainly been nowhere near me whilst I was working.

It really made me stop in my tracks and the hair stand up on the back of my neck. As a rational person, I tried to think of how it might have got there; here are some of my theories:

- It fell onto the desk. - Nowhere to fall from and I would have heard it from the bathroom if it had anyway.
- I moved it twice without realising what I was doing. - Like I said, I would swear that I had not seen the box before, in fact I had no idea what was in the box until I examined the contents
- A ghost put it there ;)
- I (or the box!) had jumped into another dimension :shock:

Now it is fairly likely the second theory is the correct one, but I still have my doubts.
What are your thoughts?

Maybe it was there all along and your mind didn't register it because you didn't expect to see it. And then you did!

gncxx said:
Maybe it was there all along and your mind didn't register it because you didn't expect to see it. And then you did!

I know it couldn't have "physically" been there whilst working, as it blocked my vision of the monitor, unless I can see through boxes :shock: Maybe that's my superpower :lol:

Welcome pipling!

Maybe the "fairies" moved it? They seem to love moving my stuff about, usually so I can't find it :?

And just herewe have many interesting tales of things popping out of and into our frame of reference.

I think a large box appearing on your desk is impressive, beats the usual keys or jewellery.

Hey I've just had one myself only last night!

Some months ago I had a hole appear in the pocket of one of my 'decent' pairs of jeans. I decided I would sew it up, but realised I didn't have any needles and thread, so I went and bought some from a local supermarket, then once back home I sewed up the hole. I then bunged the little plastic case containing the needles into my 'man-draw' which is where most of my odds and ends finish up.
Since that time I have had no need for a needle and thread.
During the past couple of months I have started buying my cigarettes online, and they get delivered in a carton of 200, so I put those into the 'man-draw' as it is the only draw big enough to put them in.
Anyways, ..... About 2 weeks ago I bought 3 pairs of new jeans, as all my existing jeans were in various states of disrepair, one of my favourite pairs having a similar hole in the pocket (but I couldn't be bothered to sew them up yet). I decided, just last week, to start 'breaking in' the new jeans, but the first pair I started wearing I managed to create a hole in the pocket, almost immediately, when my bunch of house keys decided to poke through the bottom.
This riled me somewhat - I now had 2 pairs of jeans that I had put to one side, both due to holes in the pockets which I couldn't be bothered to sew up yet. Sheer laziness I guess, but I knew that at some point I'd need to sort them out.
Imagine my surprise, when going to get a fresh pack of 20 fags out of the draw last night, what did I see?! Yep, the small pack of needles was resting on top of the carton!
Now you might think that I had subconciously found the needles and put them on top to remind me, or something, but no, I'm not like that.
I last went to the 'man-draw' about 2 days earlier, to get my previous pack of fags, at which point the holes in my pockets were not on my mind, indeed one of the holes hadn't happened yet.
And had I come across the needles (which would've required a bit of searching through 'stuff') I would've placed them near to my jeans, or just got on with the 5 minutes of sewing and been done with it.

Suffice to say, I had an initial few moments of bafflement, then thanked the spirits/fairies/little folk, etc, and thought that maybe it was some sort of message from somewhere to get on with the sewing, like maybe something bad might happen to me if I don't get it done, however I can't think of a situation that has happened today that has required me to ensure that my jeans are all sewn up and ready to wear!

Oh and yes, I did do the sewing, within a few minutes in fact, I didn't want to tempt fate :eek:

On my return, I felt a sort of electricity in the air, which made my skin prickle slightly. It was then I noticed a cardboard box had appeared on the desk,
Oooh - excellent story, makes my flesh crawl! I really love these totally mundane, un-dramatic little events that just flat out contradict consensual reality and quietly but firmly point out to anyone willing to pay attention that there's SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON BEHIND THE CURTAIN. This appearance of the box almost seems like a confrontation or a challenge - "are you going to push this out of your mind and pretend it never happened, or are you going to face up to this absurdity and its very disquieting ramifications?"

The sensation of electricity in the air is extremely interesting too - as I read it the sensation hit before the box was noticed.

Thanks pipling!

trevp66 said:
Suffice to say, I had an initial few moments of bafflement, then thanked the spirits/fairies/little folk, etc, and thought that maybe it was some sort of message from somewhere to get on with the sewing, like maybe something bad might happen to me if I don't get it done, however I can't think of a situation that has happened today that has required me to ensure that my jeans are all sewn up and ready to wear!

Of course it didn't happen: you'd sewn up your jeans.

But what if you hadn't? A coin drops out of your pocket unnoticed, and is picked up by a 12-year old who uses it to bet against friends at a sports game, subsequently learning how to figure odds, then grows up to become a hated money manager and the wealthiest person ever, who one night after both his mistress and wife have told him to get lost, decides to end it all by taking out the world as we know it.

Better that you sewed up those holes, I think. ;)

This one has me baffled. A longish tale, I'll keep it as short as I can:

Ever since the end of summer, when I stopped wearing sandals, I've been wearing the same pair of blue shoes every day. But they're well worn, and I've had to glue the soles back on at least twice. Even the leather is going rotten, cracked where it flexes, so both shoes leak in a couple of places.

Today, with heavy showers forecast, I decided it was time to retire these good and faithful servants, and went to the cupboard where I had another pair of old black shoes which I reckoned would now be a better bet... To my surprise, I found a pair of two-tone brown shoes that I'd forgotten I'd had! They looked in pretty good nick, so I put them on and went out for the day.

Avoided the showers, and only encountered a few shallow puddles, which were negotiated with no problems. It was only later that I noticed the left sole was parting with its upper, and I realised I was going to have to resort to an impact-adhesive repair again very soon.

Got home with no further trouble, had supper, etc, and left my flat to go to the pub. Along the corridor and around the corner I saw a shoe insole lying on the carpet. It looked vaguely familiar, like some I once made from cut-offs of wet-suit material, but I left it lying there. It was still there when I returned. I examined it more closely, and it was familiar, so back home I took off the brown shoes... Lo and behold, the left one lacked an insole liner, while the right one had an insole that was the match of the one in the corridor!! (Very distinctive - one side red, the other side blue, etc.)

The quick and easy explanation is that the insole had slipped out of the shoe through the gap between sole and upper. But exactly when, and why didn't I notice it happening - surely it would have flapped about a bit first?! But in fact the structure of the shoe had left no such gap, as the upper is an almost intact unit in itself, with a sole added below.

So somehow, between me coming home in the afternoon and going out again early evening, the insole magicked itself out of my shoe onto the corridor floor! And at no point did I take my shoes off in the corridor.

As I say, I'm baffled.

Back