• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

The In House GP has been working towards laying a gravel bed in front of our house to give us extra parking options; he's hoping to finish tomorrow. When I got back from work it was already dark and there were some big gravel bags in front of the garage door, so I had to pick my way past those to put my bike away. I switched off most of my bike lights except the main ones, which illuminated the hired compactor machine sitting just inside the garage. So I wheeled the bike round that, turned off the lights and the bike controller, and made my way out of the dark garage, locking the door behind me. But when I got into the house, the IHGP mentioned the compactor and said "That's why I left the garage light on, so you wouldn't fall over it."
"The light wasn't on," I said.
At this he gave me a weirded-out look and said "Spooky! I definitely left it on."
"Not when I got home," I said.
He then suggested that maybe he had used finger memory and automatically turned the light off as he came out - but if he was intending to leave it on for me, would that override the action?
Maybe we're just getting old and forgetful!

I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this but...

1700892633084.png

I'm sure I'm not the first person to notice this but...

View attachment 71616
Yes you are the last to notice it, that is why you are the only non millionare on the Forum. The rest of us have been posting the lottery results through the wormhole.

In all seriousness yes I've seen that, I don't think there is anything that can be done?

Yes you are the last to notice it, that is why you are the only non millionare on the Forum. The rest of us have been posting the lottery results through the wormhole.

In all seriousness yes I've seen that, I don't think there is anything that can be done?
It's been noted many times.
Yith (I think) explained it somewhere.

What? What? "Later today" what? They're lottery messages?!!? I'm a non-millionaire!!! how do you read these messages, Gordonrutter??? I want to retire too! :D

That was very strange- just looked up at the sky to see six objects moving in line with each other (with about a four inch gap from my perspective) between them.

They looked just like the surrounding stars.

North Shropshire at 17.46
Heading West to East.

lights.png

Last edited:
That was very strange- just looked up at the sky to see six objects moving in line with each other (with about a four inch gap from my perspective) between them.

They looked just like the surrounding stars.

North Shropshire at 17.46
Heading West to East.
Probably a satellite constellation. I think Starlink does that?

Probably a satellite constellation. I think Starlink does that?
Simon, Simon, Simon, Simon! Saw them again tonight!
I went on a site that give the times that they're coming over.

I shouted to MrsF and the dog and they both came out to look. The dog was barking like mad. (To be honest though, I'm not certain that she was interested in the satellites as she was looking elsewhere).

It would be far better if the street light wasn't there. As soon as I get an air rifle, it's getting neutralized.

Anyway, after they'd gone past, we came inside and the dog opened her advent calendar (a treat behind every door).
A perfect evening!

Just had a minor strangeness... I chat on Discord with a friend and on Black Friday he said he was ordering something for his dad.

I just asked him what his dad thought of it and he said, "I don't know what you mean" and I said he ordered something for his dad and did it arrive. He says it never happened. I remember having a full conversation about it and looking up things about it....

I'm thoroughly flummoxed....

Just had a minor strangeness... I chat on Discord with a friend and on Black Friday he said he was ordering something for his dad.

I just asked him what his dad thought of it and he said, "I don't know what you mean" and I said he ordered something for his dad and did it arrive. He says it never happened. I remember having a full conversation about it and looking up things about it....

I've had that same thing happen to me. A few years ago I had a lady in the tower block tell me how exhausting it was to both arrange a funeral for her mother and clear out her flat. We talked about it for a while. Later when I asked how the funeral went, she was a bit miffed and said in no uncertain terms 'MY MOTHER IS STILL LIVING'. I thought I may have misheard who she was talking about and she said said none of her family or friends had died in the previous year. Yet I remember clearly the conversation even now several years later.

I've had that same thing happen to me. A few years ago I had a lady in the tower block tell me how exhausting it was to both arrange a funeral for her mother and clear out her flat. We talked about it for a while. Later when I asked how the funeral went, she was a bit miffed and said in no uncertain terms 'MY MOTHER IS STILL LIVING'.

I mean, it could've been a dream but....I would've remembered if it was a dream....how about you?

I mean, it could've been a dream but....I would've remembered if it was a dream....how about you?
Nope. I was on my way out of the tower block where I live at around 10am and on my way to work. She was emptying recycling into the communal bins. I said a passing 'how are you' knowing I'd regret it. And I did. I remember it because she is a very, and I hate to say it, boring person to speak to as she keeps repeating herself as if it hasn't been heard the first, second...... and tenth time. For me, a very strange incident.

Why do you think it may possibly have been a dream?

There is something called Dream-Reality Confusion.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/dream-reality-confusion

For some people, old dreams can feel like real memories and this experience is referred to as ‘dream-reality confusion’. In two studies by researchers from Maastricht University in the Netherlands, difficulty distinguishing dreaming and reality was reported by a substantial minority of participants (12 per cent in one study and 26 per cent in another).
Although there is relatively little research in this area, there are many hypotheses as to why this might occur. One possibility is that the dreams that are confused with reality are different from other dreams (they could be more vivid, for example).

It is also possible that when dream-reality confusion occurs, this could represent unusual memory encoding during sleep (essentially, there is something unusual about the way in which the dream is converted during sleep, before it is stored in long-term memory).

Might be the beginnings of short term memory loss. Recently we sat next to a very talkative gentleman at the local hospital who regaled us with his professional career all over the world. He was waiting for transport home. He kept asking the nurses when the ambulance was going to arrive, despite the fact that he had been told several times that his son was going to pick him up but couldn't get there for an hour or so. Ms P tried to reassure him that his son was coming but he was having none of it. Must be difficult to deal with.

Might be the beginnings of short term memory loss. Recently we sat next to a very talkative gentleman at the local hospital who regaled us with his professional career all over the world. He was waiting for transport home. He kept asking the nurses when the ambulance was going to arrive, despite the fact that he had been told several times that his son was going to pick him up but couldn't get there for an hour or so. Ms P tried to reassure him that his son was coming but he was having none of it. Must be difficult to deal with.

That's my ultimate nightmare but it wasn't memory loss, it was memory gained :)

Ooo, that was interesting. I can see how that could happen, and how easily it could happen.

The possibilities are this, as far as I can see:

1. I had a very detailed dream that my brain decided to make into a memory
2. I had this conversation in a parallel universe
3. I'm clairvoyant
4. I was hypnotized by Escargot's belly button jewel and she's been programming my brain while I sleep

Back