• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Yup, a big store can cough up for security. Hardworking employees shouldn't be risking assault or worse to protect the goods.

You have to feel sorry for the small independent shopkeepers who're being robbed.
We have no security, but then we're a very rural store (although quite large).

Yes I know, but my point was that a lot of wines that used to be 12/12.5/13 are now much lower and the cost of the decent strength ones are going up weekly, so yet again, the less wealthy who like a glass of vino are being penalised.

I had a 14% one last eve, but it's gone up 50p in the last few months.
It’s a bummer all right but there’s not much you can buy that hasn’t increased in price recently.

Yes I know, but my point was that a lot of wines that used to be 12/12.5/13 are now much lower and the cost of the decent strength ones are going up weekly, so yet again, the less wealthy who like a glass of vino are being penalised.

I had a 14% one last eve, but it's gone up 50p in the last few months.
I don’t go for anything below 12%, white or red. Higher ABV seems to give more flavour. Similarly with beers, the higher ABV ones have more flavour & body. I go for 4.5% upwards.

Lower alcohol wines & beers I find are a bit wishy-washy. Plus they don’t get you so pissed.

Lower alcohol wines & beers I find are a bit wishy-washy. Plus they don’t get you so pissed.
Ha ha don't know what you'd make of me then hunck I water down all alcoholic drinks including 4.5% beers! At least 2 parts water to one part beer! I guess it's a sort of (loosely) homeopathic approach to saving money. I still get the taste and an effect! tbh I never got into drinking and getting drunk I tried it once or twice just to see what the attraction was as loads of my contemporaries seemed to like it so much. Nah not for me I either fell asleep or was sick so clearly my system didn't agree with it.

I don’t go for anything below 12%, white or red. Higher ABV seems to give more flavour. Similarly with beers, the higher ABV ones have more flavour & body. I go for 4.5% upwards.

Me too- actually 12.5 is as low as I like to go. I prefer a 13% or 14% - not to get drunk, as I rarely do, but as you say, for the taste.

However, I do occasionally enjoy a low alcohol beer.

Bit of very minor weirdness today with Old John.

I went over for my fortnightly visit and during conversation we were talking about people being scammed. I was trying to explain 'capacity' by saying.. you might want to buy....I dunno, a new chair, and spend a lot of money on one. I might think it was unnecessary, but you are perfectly entitled to spend your own money on whatever you want, I I would be wrong to try to persuade you otherwise.

John said 'I am thinking about buying a new chair, how did you know?'

I just plucked the idea out of the air. Maybe that low-level telepathic field was active?

Random manifestation of small objects deep in the lining-fluff of my recently emptied coat pocket. This is not forgetfulness (I've never had a charm bracelet - unless I've forgotten), no idea where they came from - I'll add them to the pile.

Charms_829.jpg

... the other day something she said made me feel quite sad,
There was a man who had been caught and the goods taken back.
He was sitting on a seat in the centre crying.
It just makes me sad to wonder what was going on there.

I guess the tears were down to the sheer shame of getting caught. He probably wasn't a "regular", just some sad case without a plan who decided to pocket something on the spur of the moment.

Funny, I'm normally pretty zero-tolerance on any crime, but something in what you wrote has elicited some empathy from me. I must be going soft, must re-subscribe to Hang 'em & Flog 'em magazine...

Last edited:
Random manifestation of small objects deep in the lining-fluff of my recently emptied coat pocket. This is not forgetfulness (I've never had a charm bracelet - unless I've forgotten), no idea where they came from - I'll add them to the pile.

View attachment 74297
Any women in your life who put their hand in your pocket regularly? I can see how these charms might easily come unclipped if someone with a bracelet on stuck their hand in your pocket.... although that raises more questions than it answers, quite honestly.

Techy went to a family funeral today. The favourite colour of the deceased had been yellow and mourners were asked to wear something yellow in her honour.
The funeral was held in a modern American-style private crematorium with windows, more or less floor-to-ceiling, along one side of the chapel.

Techy sat next to a window. As soon as the ceremony began, a tiny yellow bird began flying up and down outside the window beside him and pecking at the glass. This happened only next to the one windowpane where Techy could clearly see it.

The bird left and returned a few times, always to that windowpane, all through the service. Others too noticed it and remarked that the deceased had sent it to comfort them. Some became quite emotional.

OK, Birdie was after tasty insects. But still, eh. :)

Techy went to a family funeral today. The favourite colour of the deceased had been yellow and mourners were asked to wear something yellow in her honour.
The funeral was held in a modern American-style private crematorium with windows, more or less floor-to-ceiling, along one side of the chapel.

Techy sat next to a window. As soon as the ceremony began, a tiny yellow bird began flying up and down outside the window beside him and pecking at the glass. This happened only next to the one windowpane where Techy could clearly see it.

The bird left and returned a few times, always to that windowpane, all through the service. Others too noticed it and remarked that the deceased had sent it to comfort them. Some became quite emotional.

OK, Birdie was after tasty insects. But still, eh. :)
That's rather lovely. I've had blue tits doing this to me, pecking at the window and also perched on a twig outside and peering in. I like to think it's someone keeping an eye on me.

...a tiny yellow bird began flying up and down outside the window beside him and pecking at the glass.

It's "Spring" and the sap is rising. Sorry to burst the bubble, but the bird was attacking its reflection in the window, assuming that it was a lurve rival.

Somewhere on an HD/DVD I have a short video of a robin doing exactly the same to a window in our gazebo. I mentioned it here almost exactly six years ago to the day (same season, same behaviour.)

maximus otter

It's "Spring" and the sap is rising. Sorry to burst the bubble, but the bird was attacking its reflection in the window, assuming that it was a lurve rival.

Somewhere on an HD/DVD I have a short video of a robin doing exactly the same to a window in our gazebo. I mentioned it here almost exactly six years ago to the day (same season, same behaviour.)

maximus otter
All very rational, and I don't disagree, but why a  yellow bird at that particular time? Yeah, yeah, I know, why not? If it had been another kind of bird, no-one would have noticed. However, it does tie into conceptual reality as opposed to objective reality.

All very rational, and I don't disagree, but why a  yellow bird at that particular time? Yeah, yeah, I know, why not? If it had been another kind of bird, no-one would have noticed. However, it does tie into conceptual reality as opposed to objective reality.
BTW, in case anyone thinks that by conceptual reality, I mean subjective reality, I don't.

Some of my rambling, ill-defined thoughts on the matter may be found in this post on a completely random thread.

BTW, in case anyone thinks that by conceptual reality, I mean subjective reality, I don't.

Some of my rambling, ill-defined thoughts on the matter may be found in this post on a completely random thread.
I don't know if this is connected in any way, but I was pondering your case the other evening and I wonder why you were the only one to hear things and not your brother or parents.

Could the 'boundary' in this case could perhaps be said to be you?

Were you 'chosen' (if so why) or are you just more 'sensitive' than them?

I don't know if this is connected in any way, but I was pondering your case the other evening and I wonder why you were the only one to hear things and not your brother or parents.

Could the 'boundary' in this case could perhaps be said to be you?

Were you 'chosen' (if so why) or are you just more 'sensitive' than them?
My brothers and my parents  did hear/feel things, as they all said when we moved out... my dad is no longer with us, abd everyone else has collectively erased it from their memories for some reason, perhaps they found it too disturbing to contemplate, they're not as curious as me.

My brothers and my parents  did hear/feel things, as they all said when we moved out... my dad is no longer with us, abd everyone else has collectively erased it from their memories for some reason, perhaps they found it too disturbing to contemplate, they're not as curious as me.
Oh, right. Apologies. I thought you were always the only one (like when the crying came from your brothers room).

Back