• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Sorry Mr F. I've had very busy weekend and morning.

The engineer couldn’t explain why the dials were turning themselves on, but he tinkered around with them, and it hasn’t happened since.

He did say that he’s never encountered the problem in his 10 years as a gas engineer though.

I guess I’ll have to chalk it up as one of those things.
Further to my ongoing Radiator problems.

The rads in the living room are now working as they should do, however this morning I walked past my daughter’s bedroom (she’s been out at Uni since 7am) and I noticed that the room was very warm. I checked the rad and it was piping hot, thinking that she had left it on before she left the house, I bent down to turn the dial down, and guess what…………..the dial was at zero.

Whatever the problem was with the rads in the living room has now moved itself upstairs to her bedroom.

I’ll have to call out the engineer again. This is costing me a bloody fortune.

The rads in the living room are now working as they should do, however this morning I walked past my daughter’s bedroom (she’s been out at Uni since 7am) and I noticed that the room was very warm. I checked the rad and it was piping hot, thinking that she had left it on before she left the house, I bent down to turn the dial down, and guess what…………..the dial was at zero.

Whatever the problem was with the rads in the living room has now moved itself upstairs to her bedroom.

Have you checked the valves? Perhaps a seal is bad?

If the rad gets hot with the valve turned off it can surely only be a knackered valve - it’s staying open when apparently closed.

Don’t you have a timer setting on the boiler to control when it’s on & off?

If the rad gets hot with the valve turned off it can surely only be a knackered valve - it’s staying open when apparently closed.

Don’t you have a timer setting on the boiler to control when it’s on & off?
If it was happening on only one radiator then you could perhaps blame a faulty valve (although if the pin were stuck up - ie in the 'on' position - I don't think you'd be able to turn it down to zero anyway).

The only way that would happen is if the actual thermostatic (that is the plastic part with the numbers on) was just spinning loosely on the valve shaft, but you would be able to feel this when turning it I should think.

@Dick Turpin

Dick - get youself down to screwfix and buy a new thermostatic head - for eg;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-rt212-white-trv-sensing-head/569hg

They come in lots of different styles and if you want to match the ones in the rest of the house you might have to look around, but in any case they all fit very simply and using the same principle.

Here is a video on how to fit a new one from a good old boy who does very good basic plumbing videos on youtube.

At the very worst, you'll have spent £11 (you can actually buy the whole thing, ie the tops and the valve for less- about £7.50).

You might find that it solves the mystery without costing you a fortune.

Even more minor strangeness

I've had this clock for over 30 years (graduation present) and the thing directly under the clock face is supposed to spin, but stopped years ago (bearing wore, probably.)

View attachment 71196

I was sitting down to watch TV when I saw a weird reflection and realized the spinny thing had inexplicably started spinning again. Last time I touched the clock was last Sunday to move the clock forward. Gave the spinny thing a spin and it stopped after a few spins. Days later, it started again on its own? I wonder if this counts with my weird time synchronicities last week?
I thought I'd update if anyone is interested in uninteresting things in my life, the spinny thing has stopped spinning sometime in the last week or so and won't start again. Wonder if it's an omen?

Odd one this, and not to do with my radiator issues.

When I was in my early teenage years, right the way up into my early 20’s, I’d always have lower joint trouble at this time of year and in October. I hadn’t injured myself playing sports i.e. football etc, but every year for a week in early or mid-March and in the October, I’d have terrible pains in the legs up near the hips. My Mum used to say that it was my bodies way reacting to the changing of the seasons, but I was always very dubious when she told me this. It can’t be possible that a body would react to the changing of the seasons in that way or can it.???

Anyway, I’m working from home today and about an hour ago, I got a phone call from my son’s school, asking me to collect him as he has hurt his leg and can barely walk – my son is nearly 12 btw. I get to the school and he was lying down in the medical room, complaining of pain in his upper legs near to the hips, he hobbled to the car, and I had to take him back home.

Strange eh.

I know that my Mum has Gypsy blood, but Is it possible that she was right, and that bodies joints can react to the changing seasons, and has my son inherited my spring / autumn lower joint pangs?

When I was in my early teenage years, right the way up into my early 20’s, I’d always have lower joint trouble at this time of year and in October. I hadn’t injured myself playing sports i.e. football etc, but every year for a week in early or mid-March and in the October, I’d have terrible pains in the legs up near the hips. My Mum used to say that it was my bodies way reacting to the changing of the seasons, but I was always very dubious when she told me this. It can’t be possible that a body would react to the changing of the seasons in that way or can it.???

Anyway, I’m working from home today and about an hour ago, I got a phone call from my son’s school, asking me to collect him as he has hurt his leg and can barely walk – my son is nearly 12 btw. I get to the school and he was lying down in the medical room, complaining of pain in his upper legs near to the hips, he hobbled to the car, and I had to take him back home.

Strange eh.

I know that my Mum has Gypsy blood, but Is it possible that she was right, and that bodies joints can react to the changing seasons, and has my son inherited my spring / autumn lower joint pangs?
My Mum and Dad would often get joint pains and they'd put it down to the time of year.
Colder weather would bring it on.

This morning I was in bed drinking tea. Techy sat further down the bed also with a brew.
Two pairs of my Crocs were on the wooden floor next to the bed. Three were in a line and one a distance away where I'd kicked it off.

As we chatted, we both heard a knocking noise from under the bed. It sounded like one of my Crocs, the harder lined slipper-type ones, tapping on the wooden floor. I was able to reproduce the sound by vigorously rocking the shoe from side to side.

No cats present, nobody's feet anywhere near the Crocs. So I dunno what that was about.

My Mum used to say that it was my bodies way reacting to the changing of the seasons, but I was always very dubious when she told me this. It can’t be possible that a body would react to the changing of the seasons in that way or can it.???
I'm gonna have to agree with your mum. For me, the change from Summer to Fall and from Winter to Spring brings the biggest weather changes - big swings in temperatures, lots of weather fronts and storms, etc. During those times (roughly September/October and March/April I have migraines and assorted body aches. I hate this time of year.

Strange eh.

I'd have said so. Cold weather (and maybe humidity levels as well?) must have some effect I'd have thought.

I don't think that it's necessarily the same for everyone though.

I used to get a pain where my left leg joins my torso, but I don't recall if it was worse in cold temperatures.

It could be something to do with the fact that in colder weather we tend to move less, so stiffen up more, or something like that- unrelated to the actual climate per se?

Strange eh.

I used to get massive incredibly sore throats every October, regular as clockwork. Proper tonsillitis type throats that went on for a couple of weeks. Turned out it was when the heating was switched on at school (we didn't have central heating at home) and my body was reacting to the drier air Could it be something similar in this case? Heating going on and off causing the ambient temperature to be different?

I used to get massive incredibly sore throats every October, regular as clockwork. Proper tonsillitis type throats that went on for a couple of weeks. Turned out it was when the heating was switched on at school (we didn't have central heating at home) and my body was reacting to the drier air Could it be something similar in this case? Heating going on and off causing the ambient temperature to be different?
I hate radiator heat- or certainly too much of it anyway. Makes me a touch irascible- or more than usual anyway. Same with heaters in vehicles.

I hate radiator heat- or certainly too much of it anyway. Makes me a touch irascible- or more than usual anyway. Same with heaters in vehicles.
I didn't even notice that the heating had come on - it was a big very old school building. Only put two and two together when I moved up to the Sixth Form college (on the same heating timetable), when the rise in temperature was noticeable. But I used to miss a week of school regularly at the beginning of every October, and the only thing that was in common was the heating coming on.

I didn't even notice that the heating had come on - it was a big very old school building. Only put two and two together when I moved up to the Sixth Form college (on the same heating timetable), when the rise in temperature was noticeable. But I used to miss a week of school regularly at the beginning of every October, and the only thing that was in common was the heating coming on.
I think also (when we had weather that did what it should) the cold air that always came mid-september to early october was a bit of a shock to the old throat, especially when running around after girls playing football etc.

There are a lot of things that have never been investigated by science. seasonal pain or pain due to weather changes seem to be one. Not much data it seems.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/what-triggers-weather-related-joint-pain
As we chatted, we both heard a knocking noise from under the bed. It sounded like one of my Crocs, the harder lined slipper-type ones, tapping on the wooden floor. I was able to reproduce the sound by vigorously rocking the shoe from side to side.

No cats present, nobody's feet anywhere near the Crocs. So I dunno what that was about.
Vibrations from trucks nearby or mini-seismic events that rattled the floor?
Or . . . haunted crocs!??! :smghost:

Vibrations from trucks nearby or mini-seismic events that rattled the floor?
Or . . . haunted crocs!??! :smghost:

The mini-seismic events seem likeliest.
As I've mentioned on this very thread* we're on the edge of the Cheshire Salt Field which is unstable enough to cause minor ground-shakes. So it'll be that, or the haunted Crocs. :nods:

*in post #9,826

Radiators dry the air out. When they're turned on I have a diffuser in use in every room.
Having said that though Kesava, MrsF bought a de-humidifier a while ago. I emptied it on Saturday afternoon and by 10pm last night it was full (2 litres) so that's two litres of water that isn't making the room go damp... er.

To be fair, I did have some laundry on the clothes maid in that room (it didn't stop drizzling all day yesterday) so a lot, if not most of the moisture would have been from them, (and it would have taken another day or so to collect that much without the laundry being there, admittedly) but it just shows you how much there is often about.

Of course, ours is an old (1901), damp house and you probably don't have the same issue with damp walls and mold etc.

yesterday afternoon, it felt like the Ground floor windows and cupboard doors were all vibrating to this sudden low frequency throbbing, like a big diesel engine. Looked out the windows at either side expecting to see some idiot lorry driver following a satnav stuck across the road - nothing there, the noise and vibration carried on for several minutes.

Its a detached, stone built house with double glazing- sited on a corner with a small junction opposite- no sign of any traffic or objects that could cause that kind of noise and vibration.

My keyboard (which is about 400 years old) has one letter that has faded to almost nothing.
N.
Why N?
I'd have thought E would be the first to go, followed by quite a few others before N. ?

My guess is the N key gets rubbed when you go between keys.

My 3 year old keyboard is just as bad.
imageedit_1_6656825322.png

Back