• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I was startled to see that a crack in the pane of my back door had healed itself. The sticking door had caused the problem by needing a slam to close it - or flexing to open it - when the grain had swollen after a damp spell.

The pane concerned is a laminate, so I assume the fractured glass gets drawn back together by the plastic layer inside. It reappeared, of course, like the damage to the tray but I did rub my eyes when I witnessed the miracle healing! I'd guess that tray is a laminate. :)

They saw the future?
That's genuinely weird.

I was startled to see that a crack in the pane of my back door had healed itself. The sticking door had caused the problem by needing a slam to close it - or flexing to open it - when the grain had swollen after a damp spell.

The pane concerned is a laminate, so I assume the fractured glass gets drawn back together by the plastic layer inside. It reappeared, of course, like the damage to the tray but I did rub my eyes when I witnessed the miracle healing! I'd guess that tray is a laminate. :)
Superglue is a good way to fix that.

I suppose it's possible that the tray fixed and then unfixed itself. Shame they didn't keep hold of it to see what happened next, but it was long ago recycled or else left to linger for aeons in some landfill.

I would have thought a window pane was a different proposition though - wouldn't it have different refractive properties along the fracture leaving at least some trace of the original crack? If not I'm gonna get me some of that, having just had an old-skool window glass door pane replaced at some expense!

They saw the future?
That's genuinely weird.

Of course it's possible that the accident that eventually put the very solidly built tray out of commission simply made an existing crack (that appeared to have no cause whatsoever and then had mended itself) even worse - I'm not being sarcastic; it is possible! But I'm sure there was not the tiniest trace of damage when I checked, even after been prompted to expect it.

I'm not necessarily flagging it up as a case for JW Dunne and realise that misperceptions could play a part. But it seems satisfyingly odd in a very routine sort of way.

Dunno if this is minor strangeness as surely there is a rational explanation, but I don't know what it is.
About an hour ago the river suddenly began roaring - I mean really roaring. The river is about half a block away but at the bottom of a high cliff so normally we can't hear it unless there's been a heavy rain, and even then not like this. This sounds like there's an interstate highway next door

Any storm big enough to cause flooding upriver would have been evident, and anyway I haven't heard the sirens go. It's the middle of the night here, would the river authority have opened the floodgates at 3 AM? Weird. A bit spooky. Rivers aren't supposed to sound like that. <_< >_> I'm assuming the dam hasn't broken. The dam breaking would be bad. But that's why we have flood sirens, right? Hmm. :confused:

It's an unusually clear and cold night, though - first time we've been able to see our breath in the air this year, so maybe the weather conditions have caused some strange echo? The neighborhood dogs keep barking so obviously they are disturbed by it too.

Might have to wait til daybreak to find out.

Funny night for noisy weather, apparently - the wind at home was as noisy as I've EVER heard it last night. Well past midnight, it sounded loud enough to take trees down, and I fully expected a lot more debris on the roads this morning than turned out to be the case.

It may be the wind coming from an unusual Southerly direction. My brother told me at the weekend of a night when he could not sleep in his usual front bedroom and had to move to the rear of the house. This had never happened before, in years of living there. The house does face South. :)

This may apply to recent windy nights in the UK. I have heard rumours that weather is a global thing . . . :cry:

Last edited:
No explanation for the strange sounds from the river last night, and it's happening again now! :eek: the roaring lasted about 2 hours last night, and began again tonight at just the same time. I checked the data from the river authority, and it shows no unusual amount of water released from the dam.

I'm suspicious, though. Once might have been a fluke, but two nights at just the same time? I think they must be opening the floodgates but not reporting it.

I met with my sister who had come down from QLD for her best friend's husband's funeral.
She was saying that there seemed to be a coincidence with the number 11 as he had died on the 11 th as had her son and her husband's mother.

No explanation for the strange sounds from the river last night, and it's happening again now! :eek: the roaring lasted about 2 hours last night, and began again tonight at just the same time. I checked the data from the river authority, and it shows no unusual amount of water released from the dam.

I'm suspicious, though. Once might have been a fluke, but two nights at just the same time? I think they must be opening the floodgates but not reporting it.
Why would they do that and not report it?
Maybe it's the sides of the valley subsiding? Prior to a landslide?
Worth mentioning to somebody.

Why would they do that and not report it?
Maybe it's the sides of the valley subsiding? Prior to a landslide?
Worth mentioning to somebody.

No idea, except that they can be frustratingly closed-mouthed at times. i'll call around just in case it is some geologic thing gone awry.

Ok I didn't think it was possible for digital clocks to just stop. I have just had my stereo (which is plugged in) stop at 23.11 it only started again when (after getting the remote to work, I don't use it very often) I woke it up and then put it into standby again. Another odd thing is I looked at another clock at 11.11pm and noticed its uniformness and that's why I really noticed some time later when my stereo said it. The stereo usually gains time.

Very minor strangeness; I was in Tesco yesterday when I was suddenly overcome by a scent that made my head swim. My grandma passed away earlier this year but years ago I used to bring her ironing into my house to do, the scent was exactly the scented mix of fabric conditioner, perfume and her house that I'd get from a puff of iron steam. It went as quickly as it came!

exactly the scented mix of fabric conditioner, perfume and her house that I'd get from a puff of iron steam

There are air-fresheners which mimic the smell of newly-laundered linen. Perhaps someone had been sampling them. Even if it was not really an exact match, the brief whiff may have triggered your memory? :)

Scary! We had some weird episodes of weather where the wind was roaring, up high though, not much wind on surface level. Could that have been it?

Very minor strangeness; I was in Tesco yesterday when I was suddenly overcome by a scent that made my head swim. My grandma passed away earlier this year but years ago I used to bring her ironing into my house to do, the scent was exactly the scented mix of fabric conditioner, perfume and her house that I'd get from a puff of iron steam. It went as quickly as it came!

Very interesting. I read that scent is the most profound sense...that we can really connect to past memories immediately with familiar scents. Not sure what kind of store Tesco is, but I have noticed some aisles in big discount stores to be heavily scented by the chemicals or cleaners there. Maybe you walked thru a 'layer'? Weird how smells are so nostalgic. Every now and then I open my mom's China cupboard, now in my front hall, to smell her house. fabric softener, clothes detergent, dusting powder...I'm immediately back there in a way more direct that pictures or sounds can take me.

There are air-fresheners which mimic the smell of newly-laundered linen. Perhaps someone had been sampling them. Even if it was not really an exact match, the brief whiff may have triggered your memory? :)

Yes that's possible, although I was at the self-checkout rather than in the main store. It's not really a linen scent per se, it was the mix of linen plus her perfume plus the general smell of her house! It was just such a very specific scent and it disoriented me briefly.

Speaking of being disoriented, I was washing my hands in the ladies' at work today and suddenly realised I have no recollection of leaving my desk, walking across the office, using the loo (presumably!)... is this what happens after you hit 30?

Very interesting. I read that scent is the most profound sense...that we can really connect to past memories immediately with familiar scents. Not sure what kind of store Tesco is, but I have noticed some aisles in big discount stores to be heavily scented by the chemicals or cleaners there. Maybe you walked thru a 'layer'? Weird how smells are so nostalgic. Every now and then I open my mom's China cupboard, now in my front hall, to smell her house. fabric softener, clothes detergent, dusting powder...I'm immediately back there in a way more direct that pictures or sounds can take me.

This is true, when I was a child my Mum was our playtime supervisor at school and she had a leather coat that had a very particular smell, even now I get a whiff of a similar scent and I'm suddenly 5 again clinging onto her skirt in the playground.

D'you ever get something right about a complete stranger?

Today I was chatting with a colleague from another depot and discovered that we'll bump into each other again next week.

I said 'OK then, see you Monday! You might have a nice racing tip for me - have a think over the weekend! ;) '

Dunno why I said this as I'd only just met the bloke.

Turns out he's a compulsive gambler. :oops:

The least you can do is give him a racing tip!
But really...what are the odds you picked up on something he said? I bet that's what it was! Hit me!

Speaking of being disoriented, I was washing my hands in the ladies' at work today and suddenly realised I have no recollection of leaving my desk, walking across the office, using the loo (presumably!)... is this what happens after you hit 30?
Yes.

The least you can do is give him a racing tip!
But really...what are the odds you picked up on something he said? I bet that's what it was! Hit me!
It might have been his John McCririck-like hand gestures.

Pfft, you cynics! :rolleyes:

I'd only just met him and we'd been discussing work stuff. I brought up the Sport of Kings, not him. We hadn't mentioned anything outside what we'd do when the inevitable work-related blah blah blah happened.

The degree of disorientation is difficult to judge. If you are a lady, it's a bit of erased, routine experience. If other, it may be the start of an awfully big adventure . . . :D

I've more than a few times gone into a gents loo on auto pilot and had a sudden fear of being in the 'ladies', so have to look for a urinal for reassurance...

Back