• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

This was a weird one that surprised me, I was alone in the house yesterday afternoon and whilst standing in the kitchen suddenly heard a little girl laughing very clearly and loudly coming from the lounge, I think that's the only external voice I've heard in a decade. My house is very isolated, surrounded by fields, you need binoculars too see the closest house.
Your description of your abode made me think how great it would be to live in such a blissful haven of quiet, but with the spooky noises now I'm not so sure...! :eek:

Haha I should have said paranormal external voice, I've only experienced the phenomenon twice.

I remember when I lived in the middle of nowhere and I heard what sounded like a party with classical music going on outside. I was miles from anywhere. My nearest neighbor was a farmer and I could see his house was in darkness as it was the early hours of the morning on a school night. I was a good distance from the main road and yes my radio/stereo/tv were off.

Went on for a good minute with me going around looking through the outside windows trying to figure out was going on.

In fishing-at-night lore, being awoken by a shout or a voice is a recurring theme.

That is a weird one. Unless a small child had ventured onto your property and was looking through your window?
There's no kids round here, there's been times when apart from family and the postman I haven't seen anyone for months on end. And before anyone suggests a Shining type isolation psychosis, I travel backwards and forwards between Ireland and Bournemouth too much to get cabin fever.

My daughter and I were sitting watching ET when suddenly there were two loud bangs on the window behind us.
I went out and turned on the outside light but nothing was moving at all.

My daughter and I were sitting watching ET when suddenly there were two loud bangs on the window behind us.
I went out and turned on the outside light but nothing was moving at all.
Night or day? Could be birds. Or if night, owls with poor eyesight.

Probably a bird or a bat. I sometimes get birds bumping into the windows here - and they don't always survive, I'm afraid.

It was night, 10.15 pm. I looked to see if it was a bird or bat but there was nothing there- there's a path leading to the front door in front of the windows.
No balls from the local children who were not out anyway. It sounded like when someone taps as I don't have a doorbell and I thought at first it was the next door neighbour whose daughter is pregnant and visiting for Christmas.

No, I would definitely rule out bats. Echolocation and all that.
Iris, I think you are in Australia, am I correct? Are there any creatures out there that might fit the same evolutionary niche as the North American Racoon?

Other than that there is the Three Knocks phenomena, but you only heard two.

We do have possums but given this was the bottom window(the whole 3x 2 metres is made of small framed panes of glass) we didn't think that was likely,
Hope it's something good going to happen. Maybe it's something to do with 2. The light shining on a carved wooden box I have looked like a 2 this morning and I've never noticed that before.

My brother has been staying here while he gets some housing issues sorted out. Because this is the house where we grew up (and which all us siblings inherited from our dad) i've been thinking, now all we need is for our sister to show up.

Not that I expected this to happen, as she lives far away, but did wonder (errant speculation, you know) just yesterday what circumstances would have to take place for that to happen. I couldn't imagine any at the time, but not long after that, we had word - an old friend of hers had passed away, and sister will be coming to stay here so she can attend the funeral.

A bit discomforting, that, so soon after wondering! :eek:

Cycling at about 3 in the morning noticed a huge bird, probably a seabird of some description flying about carrying a green plastic bag type thing. I guess it could have been wrapped around it's foot. Very strange thing to behold.

Night or day? Could be birds. Or if night, owls with poor eyesight.

I spotted an excellent owl print on a bus shelter window a few years ago from what must have been a proper faceplant for the unfortunate thing. I was so impressed I pointed it out to a woman sat underneath it and she looked at me like I was bonkers, I had to explain it though as I wanted to take a photo and she would have been in the middle of it!

I spotted an excellent owl print on a bus shelter window a few years ago from what must have been a proper faceplant for the unfortunate thing. I was so impressed I pointed it out to a woman sat underneath it and she looked at me like I was bonkers, I had to explain it though as I wanted to take a photo and she would have been in the middle of it!
Those all-glass/perspex bus shelters can be lethal for birds, especially blackbirds who fly across roads at a low level. An owl print is a good spot though.

Yesterday at work I started thinking about Escette (my youngest) and especially about a time when she'd been a bit stressed and unhappy. I decided to send her a nice affectionate text, to which I soon had a reply along the lines of Oh bleurrgh, are you on the gin at this hour? ;)

Soon afterwards though she texted me back because she was worried about something. Just one of those little snags, which I was able to help with, and soon all was well again.

I'd just happened to send her the sloppy text at the right time. It's as if I knew she needed me exactly then. :D

Yesterday at work I started thinking about Escette (my youngest) and especially about a time when she'd been a bit stressed and unhappy. I decided to send her a nice affectionate text, to which I soon had a reply along the lines of Oh bleurrgh, are you on the gin at this hour? ;)

Soon afterwards though she texted me back because she was worried about something. Just one of those little snags, which I was able to help with, and soon all was well again.

I'd just happened to send her the sloppy text at the right time. It's as if I knew she needed me exactly then. :D

A mother always knows escargot - there has to be a connection of some sort - after all, you created that being, blood of my blood, flesh of my flesh

The Daily Telegraph is supposed to have a limit of 15 articles a month you can view if you're not a subscriber. But as December went on I felt I must have passed the limit but I still wasn't blocked. In fact I wondered if my Windows 10 update had somehow reset my count.

But today I just tried to view a DT article, but was told I'd reached my free article limit! It's only the 1st of January, according to my brand new diary! Most odd!

Back