• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

OK, so Carry On Cabby (in black and white) is currently playing on Channel 5, yet I have an exceedingly strong recollection as a child of watching this in colour at some time during the late 1970s. A quick google tells me the film was ONLY available in black and white, but it also looks like I'm not the only person questioning that a colour version exists.

Am I fooling myself? I know I've seen the black and white version but I'm really really sure I've also seen a colour version - and no, I'm not remembering the Hattie documentary from a few years ago. I distinctly remember the shade of pink on the GlamCabs cars.

Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

OK, so Carry On Cabby (in black and white) is currently playing on Channel 5, yet I have an exceedingly strong recollection as a child of watching this in colour at some time during the late 1970s. A quick google tells me the film was ONLY available in black and white, but it also looks like I'm not the only person questioning that a colour version exists.

Am I fooling myself? I know I've seen the black and white version but I'm really really sure I've also seen a colour version - and no, I'm not remembering the Hattie documentary from a few years ago. I distinctly remember the shade of pink on the GlamCabs cars.

I've found this nugget...

"Rumour has it that this film was made in colour and that two versions of the film exist. Unhappily they don't."

From http://www.thewhippitinn.com/carry_on_films/carry_on_cabby/

Yes I thought of the pink lady cabbies outfits. Maybe the Hattie documentary has planted a false memory. Or the poster (edit- sorry Shady didn't read your post first).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 19
The Strange case of the Haunted Panniers and the Naughty Trousers...

Often happens this sort of thing.

After work I throw in the wash my cycling and work stuff. I don't usually wash my fleece or trousers everyday though.

Anyhow getting ready for work I grabbed everything from the dryer and the trousers and fleece from the panniers and I placed the whole lot on the bed.

I then showered and was getting changed into my "going in" cycling gear and statrted sorting out my work and my "going home" cycling gear when I noticed that I couldn't find my trousers.

Cue a bemused scrabbling around looking for the two-legged trickster - nowhere to be found.

Then I remembered that my panniers are haunted so off I went and sure enough there were the trousers looking all smug rolled up and ready to go in the wrong pannier to what I normally store them in.

I know I put them on the bed I can see them as clear as day, they were there with the fleece.

It's no wonder Littlelun had a grin on his face as he'd been on the bed when I was showering. God knows what he thought as he watched the trousers roll themselves up and fly out the bedroom seeking out the panniers.

Last edited:
I think that picture has been coloured in. I saw it when I googled as well as the same picture in black and white.

It was a full year before they released the first colour Carry on film as well. With Carry on Jack being the next one also in B&W. Carry On Spying being the first clour which was next.

It was a full year before they released the first colour Carry on film as well. With Carry on Jack being the next one also in B&W. Carry On Spying being the first clour which was next.

Other way around, Jack was in colour and Spying was in black and white. The earlier Cruising had been in colour, too, the first.

I have a distinct memory of watching the Woody Allen film Broadway Danny Rose in colour as a teenager, but everywhere, including subsequent viewings, have told me it's black and white. Difficult to prove my memory right!

heres a strange one that happened this morning,
I was out with the wife walking the dog behind where we live, we have a quite large area of waste land behind us with lots of trails, ponds and wooded areas, as we walked along - she was in front of me and the dog behind me - we were on a small dirt track which is lined with scrub and trees etc - on small embankments about 3 feet high on either side. the tops of these embankments are approx 8 or 9 feet apart.
suddenly she shouts "what the hell was that?" (I did not see 'it') approx 15 feet in front of her this animal leapt -in one go- from one side to the other looking in our direction mid air and disappeared through the scrub. she described it as about the same size as a doberman dog, very short tail, but of a "lovely light greyish blue colour" -thats how she described it. now as we were so close to it, we had a good look around, it could only head one way really and we had a good view BUT there was absolutely no sight of it AND no sound at all of it running through the scrub? there was nobody else around and as i know the surrounding area very well i dont really understand where it could have come from??
i have seen plenty of foxes, deer and the like but her description of 'it' just doesn't match. anyway she's adamant it wasn't a deer.....

You must have big hares over there GNC. I saw one at the ostrich farm I visited with Probus but it was about the same size as a rabbit.

Had a quick Google and apparently hares can grow up to 2/3 of a metre long, which is bigger than a normal rabbit. Trouble is they're usually brown in the UK, not grey, so I dunno.

More of a brown colour but could look greyish blue in the right light.

heres a strange one that happened this morning,
I was out with the wife walking the dog behind where we live, we have a quite large area of waste land behind us with lots of trails, ponds and wooded areas, as we walked along - she was in front of me and the dog behind me - we were on a small dirt track which is lined with scrub and trees etc - on small embankments about 3 feet high on either side. the tops of these embankments are approx 8 or 9 feet apart.
suddenly she shouts "what the hell was that?" (I did not see 'it') approx 15 feet in front of her this animal leapt -in one go- from one side to the other looking in our direction mid air and disappeared through the scrub. she described it as about the same size as a doberman dog, very short tail, but of a "lovely light greyish blue colour" -thats how she described it. now as we were so close to it, we had a good look around, it could only head one way really and we had a good view BUT there was absolutely no sight of it AND no sound at all of it running through the scrub? there was nobody else around and as i know the surrounding area very well i dont really understand where it could have come from??
i have seen plenty of foxes, deer and the like but her description of 'it' just doesn't match. anyway she's adamant it wasn't a deer.....

This may sound unlikely, but could it have been a blue heron? If it happened to glide across the embankments without flapping, it might give the impression of leaping. They certainly can give you a start when one flies low. It's given us a "what on earth was that!" moment every time we've seen one...they don't necessarily register as birdlike when they glide low. They do live around ponds and wetlands and are greyish blue and quite large

australian-grey-kangaroo-embraces-baby-joey-25500597.jpg

One of these, maybe? (I've just re-read your post and noted the tail description, so, not one of these)

Just think this is a bit strange.
On Christmas eve a blue car was parked a few doors down and as there were a lot of cars because of parties we thought nothing of fit.
It's still there and the odd part is that both mudguards have been smashed but not the front of the car. We can't work out how that could happen. The people it's parked in front of are away on holidays.
Just hope it's not another dumped one. The last one was early December I had to keep pestering the council and by the time they came to take it away the wheels, battery and number plates were gone.

Mudguards, you say? Maybe the car had driven over some fallen branches, which could damage the underside but leave the front intact.

No these are the rounded parts at the front that go over the front part of the wheels.

the tops of these embankments are approx 8 or 9 feet apart.
same size as a doberman dog, very short tail, but of a "lovely light greyish blue colour"
no sound at all of it running through the scrub

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but all of these things would easily describe a Lynx. (Your first quote is there because a lynx could clear that distance no problem).

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 10.08.55jpeg.jpg

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but all of these things would easily describe a Lynx. (Your first quote is there because a lynx could clear that distance no problem).
Or, more prosaically, perhaps, a Weimaraner - a bit like a Doberman, but grey-blue in colour, and often seen with a very short tail. It wouldn't explain the huge silent leap, but it's a possible fit for something seen quickly and unexpectedly.

On the other hand, I'm quite taken with the low-flying heron theory. The brain doesn't expect to see a bird that close to the ground, so might try to "fill in" with an impression of a land animal.

Sometimes during documentaries they will show old colour cine footage taken perhaps by one of the actors or a member of the crew, whilst the narrator speaks in solemn tones about how they were all sad alcoholics whose private lives were falling apart.
Maybe you have a memory of another documentary (and God knows there have been plenty about the Carry On films) which showed behind the scenes filming of "Cabbie", and this stuck in your memory somehow.

Well I have never heard them called that but it could be the correct name. The two rounded bits on either side of the bonnet. The only thing we could think of is if it was hit by 2 cars.

Back