• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Hello. I pop in and out of these forums every now and then as they're great fun to read, and often incredibly creepy! However, this is my first post, and I felt almost compelled to make it.

I also remember seeing Carry On Cabby in colour, with pink taxis and outfits for the ladies. I carried this memory with me for years, from being about eight or nine. Every time I saw the film as I grew up I would remain convinced something was wrong and they weren't showing the 'proper' version.

When I was in my mid-20s, I got chatting to a chap in a pub and, Lord knows why, we ended up discussing Cabby and he too remembered seeing it in colour, pink cars etc. We became friends after this and, even after all these years, neither of us have become convinced we imagined it. I don't think it could've been from a documentary or a book, and we didn't have the internet when I was a child. It's very odd.

So, once I saw others had this memory which isn't a memory, I finally had to write my first comment on FT, and here it is. I just wish it had been something more spectacular!

Welcome to the madhouse. Are you sure you aren't wearing rose tinted specs?

So, once I saw others had this memory which isn't a memory, I finally had to write my first comment on FT, and here it is. I just wish it had been something more spectacular!
That's pretty good, compared to some comments we get!

Keep posting!

My local cinema used to do cheap matinees with old fillums in the summer holidays. I once went with a mate to see whatever was on (and ogle the lads of course) and was slightly annoyed to notice that while Carry On Cleo was in colour, Carry On Cabbie was in black and white. Felt short-changed, y'know.

So, once I saw others had this memory which isn't a memory, I finally had to write my first comment on FT,

My immediate worry, on skim-reading you post, was to think that perhaps I had a false memory of this precise topic a few weeks ago on this forum. And thankfully, I was right (I mean, wrong)
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/minor-strangeness.28407/page-152#post-1555214

And in respect of group-held false/alternative memories (again) keep an eye on this....

http://mandelaeffect.com

Welcom to the forum

That's not a sexually aroused Kangaroo -

View attachment 1832

This is...

Mungoman I hope you never get arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences or anything heavy like that as when the police come and take away your computer for forensic analysis they will find that you have been doing Google searches for sexually aroused kangaroos which may take a bit of explaining.

Last edited:
Mungoman I hope you never get arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences or anything heavy like that as when the police come and take away our computer for forensic analysis they will find that you have been doing Google searches for sexually aroused kangaroos which may take a bit of explaining.

Maybe the Rolf Harris song really was about kangaroo bondage.

Mungoman I hope you never get arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences or anything heavy like that as when the police come and take away your computer for forensic analysis they will find that you have been doing Google searches for sexually aroused kangaroos which may take a bit of explaining.
"Scientific research - honest, guv"...

Last year I was visiting my wife's parents (**shudder**) and stayed the night, sometime during the early hours of the morning I was still awake when I suddenly saw, very briefly, the clear image of a young girl walk through the bedroom door and vanish by the wall to the right of me. She was all blue outlined and wearing an Alice in Wonderland type dress, but the one thing that made it stick in my mind was the she had a shocked look on her face and her right hand was covering her mouth.

Could be a case of involuntary Astral Projection.

She'll be right XBergMann...It could take some explaining though, eh.

Today at the local Pound Shop I was strolling along, browsing happily, when I heard a thump behind me.

When I turned to look, there was a plastic 'fridge jar' of baked beans lying on the shop floor about 15 or so feet back, where I'd been walking seconds before. I'd been in the middle of the aisle nowhere near the shelves and certainly hadn't knocked it off, and nobody else was nearby.

I picked it up and replaced it on the shelf, after of course photographing it first. o_O

The jar was square rather than round so unlikely too have rolled into position, and anyway it was a longish way from the shelf and had made quite a bang.

So, am I being haunted by a baked bean-chucking poltergeist?

I certainly hope so. :D

Today at the local Pound Shop I was strolling along, browsing happily, when I heard a thump behind me.

When I turned to look, there was a plastic 'fridge jar' of baked beans lying on the shop floor about 15 or so feet back, where I'd been walking seconds before. I'd been in the middle of the aisle nowhere near the shelves and certainly hadn't knocked it off, and nobody else was nearby.

I picked it up and replaced it on the shelf, after of course photographing it first. o_O

The jar was square rather than round so unlikely too have rolled into position, and anyway it was a longish way from the shelf and had made quite a bang.

That'd put the wind up you...

Sorry, gets coat, puts it on....

May turn out to be a can of worms?

Sounds a bit fart-fetched to me. :D

Hello, and thank you to those who responded to my post and those who liked it.
Sorry it's taken a time to get back to you. I've been a bit poorly and pathetic this last week and every time I went to write something it came out as gibberish. I mean, it still will be gibberish, but a slightly more comprehensible form. I make little sense at the best of times, but when I feel as though a regiment of goblins has crawled into my throat and enwrapped it in razor before trooping into my head and alternately doing the hokey-cokey in hobnailed boots and playing Jenga, well...

Anyway, no, I don't think I'm wearing rose-tinted specs. I'm a pretty cynical old sod and look at life more through turd-coloured glasses. As for false memories, well, yes, quite likely but one shared by others, and pink taxis? Just peculiar! I want my false memories to involve palaces in snowy landscapes or delicious cakes, not Esma Cannon in a pillbox hot. Much as I love Esma.

I will keep on posting, although I doubt I'll have much of interest to say. A few spooky occurrences and weirdigan moments, but nothing to make you scratch your chins or get butterflies in your tums, just things you'll all be able to explain away quite rationally.

Again, thank you for the acknowledgement.

Hello, and thank you to those who responded to my post and those who liked it.
Sorry it's taken a time to get back to you. I've been a bit poorly and pathetic this last week and every time I went to write something it came out as gibberish. I mean, it still will be gibberish, but a slightly more comprehensible form. I make little sense at the best of times, but when I feel as though a regiment of goblins has crawled into my throat and enwrapped it in razor before trooping into my head and alternately doing the hokey-cokey in hobnailed boots and playing Jenga, well...

Anyway, no, I don't think I'm wearing rose-tinted specs. I'm a pretty cynical old sod and look at life more through turd-coloured glasses. As for false memories, well, yes, quite likely but one shared by others, and pink taxis? Just peculiar! I want my false memories to involve palaces in snowy landscapes or delicious cakes, not Esma Cannon in a pillbox hot. Much as I love Esma.

I will keep on posting, although I doubt I'll have much of interest to say. A few spooky occurrences and weirdigan moments, but nothing to make you scratch your chins or get butterflies in your tums, just things you'll all be able to explain away quite rationally.

Again, thank you for the acknowledgement.
And thank you too, Falkenstein

Here's a bit of minor strangeness from yesterday. I was talking to my sister when she said ''guess what happened'' and I focused for a minute trying to think what it could be when I suddenly saw a chocolate snowman in my minds eye, so I said to her simply ''chocolate snowman'' and she couldn't believe it, that wasn't what she was going to tell me about but someone had just bought her a chocolate snowman and I hadn't seen it yet as she had just walked in to the house with the snowman still in the car I think.

Here's a bit of minor strangeness from yesterday. I was talking to my sister when she said ''guess what happened'' and I focused for a minute trying to think what it could be when I suddenly saw a chocolate snowman in my minds eye, so I said to her simply ''chocolate snowman'' and she couldn't believe it, that wasn't what she was going to tell me about but someone had just bought her a chocolate snowman and I hadn't seen it yet as she had just walked in to the house with the snowman still in the car I think.

FrKadash, Please tell: Do you get out, much?

On the mention of chocolate snowmen, and this will probably be the only opportunity that I'll get to realistically mention it on this board, we've been selling these from work for ages and .... come on!? ... this is blatantly a chocolate penis!. High five to the bored designer who got away with this one, a genius bit of pranking:

chocolate snowman.jpg

On the mention of chocolate snowmen, and this will probably be the only opportunity that I'll get to realistically mention it on this board, we've been selling these from work for ages and .... come on!? ... this is blatantly a chocolate penis!. High five to the bored designer who got away with this one, a genius bit of pranking:

View attachment 1890

Erm it's a chocolate snowman with a hat???

Back