• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

What's an i?

Mythopoeika said:
What's an i?
About i Newspaper

Created by The Independent, i newspaper is a concise quality daily paper for just 20p. It is designed for readers and lapsed readers of quality newspapers, and those of all ages who want a comprehensive digest of the news. i combines intelligence with convenience, depth with brevity, fun with rigour, seriousness with wit. Keep abreast of the latest news, ideas and trends and be entertained in the process. i is the essential daily briefing.

rynner reads it!

Thanks, Rynner! I learnt something new today.

AngelAlice said:
my godson noticed a church tower a couple of hundred yards off to the left. He noticed it because he'd never consciously been aware of a church in that vicinity before. It disappeared behind an undulation in the land, and then appeared again quite normally.

This is how Marcel Proust started his writing career! Encourage your godson to write :D

Scroll down a bit here to see the picture:
http://uair01.blogspot.com/2011/07/marc ... ed-by.html

Nice bit of mini-weirdness this afternoon. Went for walk with on-off-on girlfriend EC, which took in the Cow and Calf rocks at Ilkley. Over the past few hundred years, people have been carving their names, and occasionally the names of their sweethearts, into the crag. We came across a carving 'Dave + Bev'. "Thats where I've been going wrong" I said. EC just sighed.
An mile or so further on I was a little in the lead, and picked up a small pebble, intending to scratch 'Dave + Bev' onto a boulder I was walking towards (thats the kinda laugh-a-minute guy I am :roll: ).
I rounded the side of the boulder, pebble in hand, and there chalked on the rock already was the word 'Bev'.

Silly little thing happened to me this morning. I was making coffee. I use a small metal measure specifically for this process. I used the remains of one bag and opened another. Suddenly, I realized I didn't have the scoop.

I hadn't moved a step. I looked in all the drawers, I looked on the floor in case I dropped it. Nope. I looked in the container of coffee. Nope. I looked in the garbage. Nope. Sink? Nope.

I still haven't found it seven hours later. It seems to have disappeared.

Blast! My favorite scoop! :lol:

DT

DaveTiger said:
I still haven't found it seven hours later. It seems to have disappeared.

Blast! My favorite scoop! :lol:

DT

Cats? Dogs?

2 cats, but none were around when this happened. Plus, I would've known immediately if it had hit the floor because it was made of steel.

Ting!

DT

I think you're going to have to accept that your favourite scoop has vanished into 'the zone'. (cue spooky music)
I reckon it will either reappear in your kitchen in a day or two, or you'll find it in a box / draw / your loft, in several years time, so hopefully you'll be updating us on finding it when it does.

Sometimes you accidentally throw teaspoons into the bin and so on. Could have happened here.

But he looked in the garbage, Mr. Baker. No fair manufacturing a rational explanation by ignoring relevant data!

Here it is a few days later, and still no sign of the scoop. I checked the garbage a half dozen times, which was easily done because I'd removed the trash the previous night and the bag only had a couple of things in it anyway.

I believe that I had previously mentioned that when I first moved into the apartment years ago that several plastic glasses came up missing right off the bat. One of them appeared right after I finished the evening dishes. I went into the dining room, heard a plastic tick hit the sink. I wondered what the noise was about, and when I went to the sink I found one of the missing glasses there. No idea how it got there since I'd just finished the dishes. :shock:

I'll let everyone know if or when I find it. I just found it weird that I was standing right there when it disappeared on me. No idea what happened, but my thoughts returned to the plastic glass episode from years ago.

DT

Perhaps someone in an alternate universe borrowed it?
I'm quite entertained by that idea. :)

A house I lived in a few years ago had a kitchen in which the flooring was sealed with mastic to the bottoms and sides of the kitchen units, so there were absolutely no holes of any kind, much like in hospital wards.
I get hay-fever quite badly during the autumn and on one afternoon I had arrived home very sneezy etc, so I got a new packet of antihistamines out of the cupboard, opened the box, removed a 'blister pack' and popped out a tablet (and they're not small! They're about 10mm long).
I placed the tablet on the worktop, filled a glass with some water, picked up the tablet but it slipped from my fingers and dropped onto the toe of my shoe, bounced off, and across the floor, to a point just out of sight below the bottom of the kitchen unit doors.
I bent down to pick it up but it was gone!
It was very perplexing. I searched the floor on hands and knees, checked all silly things, (even inside my shoes!), even checked to make sure I hadn't imagined the whole thing, but no, there was the newly-opened packet with just one tablet missing.
To this day I am convinced that it went to 'the zone', or fairies etc took it.
A minor occurence I know, but nevertheless rather puzzling.
Oh and BTW, it never reappeared.

The scoop has returned home!

I was just making coffee, pulled out the bag of coffee, took a large metal scoop, dug in and heard a metallic tink. I withdrew the big scoop, dug down to the bottom of the bag, and there it was! :)

I thanked whatever or whoever for returning it and made coffee.

I have no idea how the scoop could have gotten buried at the bottom of the bag of coffee. I'm just glad it's back.

DT

Yes you do wonder where things could possibly go. Some years ago I left out a chicken on the kitchen bench to defrost and the next morning it had disappeared. It wasn't put back in the fridge or freezer and we never did find it. We didn't have pets and the thought of a mouse dragging a large chicken down a crack seemed impossible.

Whoa! A whole chicken!
That's some serious teleportation...

I really enjoy reading all the accounts of vanishing and reappearing objects. Almost everyone I know has at least one such story. I think I've got at least one in this thread but it was awhile ago, so....several years ago I took off my watch in the bathroom and when I went to put it down, it fell off the counter and I couldn't find it on the floor or in the trash. A few months later I went into the guestroom and there it was, hanging on the closet doorknob. I live alone and nobody but me had been in my bathroom or guestroom in those months (and I frequently used that closet).

My experience was helpful, but a missing coffee scoop showing up in the bottom of a bag of coffee seems to have an extra "in your face" element to it.

ETA: A whole chicken?! For some reason, missing raw meat would freak me out a bit more than small metal objects!

solticebelle I often have my hairbrush disappear only to reappear sometime later where I last looked and other small objects the same. I was so glad that the chicken never reappeared as it would probably have been a bit smelly.

Not really sure if this is right board or whether it's just more of a coincidence.

To cut a long story short, this morning whilst making my lunch for work, I was convinced I could smell smoke. Not smoke as in cigarette but as in fire or burning. I kept sniffing my clothes and the house but could only get elusive whisps. Anyway, I gave up (after all, I was looking very odd and the cat was not impressed) and went on into work. When I got to work, still thought I could smell it and began to suspect it was from my tuna lunch (!)

Later this afternoon, we heard lots of sirens going past, I thought it was a riot-related incident but there was a HUGE fire down the road from my office, an old building was on fire. Wierdly, despite the thick black smoke pouring from it and my windows being open, I couldn't smell it.

Re-reading this, it sounds very insignificant but just seemed a minor oddity! Mainly as I eat tuna lot for my lunch (I have pretty much the same lunch most days) and I've never thought I smelt smoke before like that. I'm not saying it's a premonition though.

Bizarre day yesterday. Was very stressed out by problems with my bank in the morning, had to go to the dentists. When I got there it was all different, same dentist, but different nurse, receptionist and hygenist. OK, I thought, they are new. But when I went to make the appointment for my next checkup they said they'd send me a reminder when it's due rather than making an appointment now. Oh, I said, new system? No, said the receptionist, that's how its been for the three years I've been here...

Now, I go every six months, I've never seen this receptionist before, and I have had a card with my next appointment on every time - or so I thought. Cards of that kind normally end up sitting on my desk (wedged under the monitor stand or similar), and there's usually a big back log of them (there's a pile for appointments with the dog clippers that goes back a year or more). So when I got back home (after more wrangling with the bank) I thought I'd check.

There's no dentist's cards there. Not even for yesterday's appointment.

Have I switched time lines?

At least if I have it might make some sense of the discussions I had with the bank, who for some reason had started sending correspondence to my late wife's late mother's address... somewhere that was sold in 1997 and my wife hadn't lived since about 1980. (She had lived there when she opened this particular account, years before I met her.)

The talk of strange disappearing objects made me recall an odd one years back.

As is common in Japan, we have a tiny triangular trash bin in the corner of our sink. It is incredibly useful as washing solids down the drain is a big no-no here, so no garbage disposals or anything similar. When you wash the dishes or are preparing food, you send all the waste to the small bin where it drains the liquid away and keeps much spoilage from happening. (An explanation so that no one thinks we are strange for keeping a trash bin in the sink...)
Anyway - we line ours with little mesh bags that are easy to quickly change out on collection days.

One collection day, a few years back, I changed out the bag and got the trash ready to be put out... And then turned around to wash the bin and replace the bag - only to find that the bin was gone. I looked everywhere for it, first in the trash itself as it was easy to imagine accidentally knocking it in or somehow not noticing that it was stuck to the bag when I tossed it... But no. It is a fairly large metal thing, so not easy to miss.

We never did find it. I have absolutely no idea where it could have gone. My husband insists that it must have ended up in the trash and been tossed out, but the bag wasn`t very full and it would have been easy to find just by prodding a bit.

I can`t imagine what someone (in this dimension or another) would want with an unwashed triangular sink bin.
We eventually gave up and bought another.

There is probably a transdimensional graveyard full of stuff like this...

Mythopoeika said:
There is probably a transdimensional graveyard full of stuff like this...

Seems credible enough.
Lots of rubbish seems to attract itself to the large hedge that runs along 2 sides of my house, and I have found some rather unusual items in amongst it all.
And, as I recall, there is an area in the Pacific Ocean where all the floating bits of plastic debris, flotsom and jetsom, etc all end up.
And there is some comedy routine I saw (can't remember who by), where the question is asked "where do all the leaves blow to in the autumn?".

I may have found out where all the missing socks go:

Radio 4 riddle of the office fridge and the phantom socks
By Liz Thomas
Last updated at 1:43 AM on 20th August 2011

It is a mystery occupying the minds of Radio 4's finest investigative journalists.
Who keeps leaving socks in the office fridge?
Hosiery has repeatedly appeared in the refrigerator used by staff working on the Today programme, The World At One and PM.

This includes all of the production teams for these shows as well as hosts such as John Humphrys, Evan Davis, Sarah Montague and Martha Kearney.
But so far no one has a clue to the culprit's identity.
It is not clear whether the items of clothing left among the bottles of Evian and pots of organic yoghurt are freshly laundered or, whisper it, sweaty.

A BBC insider said: 'I don't think anyone wants to get close enough to inspect if they are clean or dirty.' However there is no doubting the strength of feeling at the BBC's White City offices in West London.
In an email to colleagues, one staff member said: 'Sorry to be the one to have to send this email but I found another pair of socks in the fridge this evening.
'I am genuinely sorry if the person doing this has a medical condition. I am not trying to be mean.
'Have you considered a coolbag? You can get them fairly cheaply. But please stop putting your socks in the fridge. It is just plain gross.'
The executive even included a link to where the 'coolbags' could be bought, and told readers where they could find the offending socks if they wanted to claim them.

A source told the Daily Mail: 'I know it sounds like a joke but there is some consternation about this. It is just such an odd thing to do.'
It is understood that the socks problem is fairly recent, but it is not the first time that bizarre objects have appeared in the Radio 4 fridge.
A copy of a biography of Benjamin Disraeli was once found in it.

Radio 4's news output is relocating from White City to the newly refurbished Broadcasting House near Oxford Street.
Whether the phantom sock chiller will also change surroundings remains to be seen.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1VZNNpR7r

Back