• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

If that was about me, I'd call it a shaggy dog story (. . .), but I would never say that about anyone else.

BTW, can anyone explain why so many men cut their hair as short as possible during the coldest months of the year? I've worked with or been acquainted with many men who practically shave their heads in January or February, and appear to let their tresses grow the rest of the year. That constitutes an example of minor strangeness IMHO.

Well, you wouldn't be the first to make that suggestion. :p

I just hope I'm better humored than the severe hippies over at the juice bar. The all look at me as if they suspect I'm growing GMO corn in my garden or something.

yeah I'm an ex-hippy myself, (I had amazing hair), but got fed up with how humorless and boring most of them were.

I know quite a few hippy-ish people. All very well-intentioned, a significant number crushingly earnest.
BTW, can anyone explain why so many men cut their hair as short as possible during the coldest months of the year?
I do the opposite: it's always very short (no 3 at the very most, over the winter) and then shaved weekly in the summer.

I do know blokes who do as you say, and in two cases it's because they work outside, and hair stops your head being sunburnt. Also, if you're bald, somehow hats seem to keep your head warmer in the winter than if you have hair - I can attest to this. How that works, if indeed it's a fact and not just a perception, I have no idea.

Last edited:
Also, if you're bald, somehow hats seem to keep your head warmer in the winter than if you have hair - I can attest to this.
So you're saying that the intracranial temperature of two identical twins wearing identical hats would be higher for the bald one, than the one with eg 6mm short-cropped hair?

Interesting. Long hair insulates: conversely, short hair may promote dissipation and localised cooling.

BTW, can anyone explain why so many men cut their hair as short as possible during the coldest months of the year?

Also, if you're bald, somehow hats seem to keep your head warmer in the winter than if you have hair - I can attest to this.

And the shorter you have it cropped, the less noticeable the phenomena known as 'Hat Hair'. This can happen to even a grade 3 haircut.

What about the guys that wear shorts during the winter? I saw a guy not only with shorts but also flip flips in December and it was not mild.

If I had footballer's legs I'd probably wear shorts ... my legs are like milk pops, always have been.

Why do postmen wear shorts all the time?
It does seem to have become a vocational expectation.

One tenuous theory (within a cold/wet/damp UK setting) is that possibly they keep seeing tv images of US and Aussie postal people, and it then becomes an irrepressible memetic urge.

By definition, they perform a ritualistic role that has two distinct phases: group-meet (ideally not mate) during distribution/exchange, then a solitary flee/delivery element, out to personally-unique territorial locations.

They'd represent an extremely-effective mechanism for spreading pandemic viruses (posties in general, I mean....bare legged or otherwise).

The borrowed idiom "going postal" has always meant (in my mind) not so much killing colleagues unexpectedly with hammers, but more some sudden all-consuming paroxysm of pacing the streets early, with bare legs & bulging bags, and the hint of a tuneless whistle.

I think they'd all probably survive the apocalypse (as long as it had enough stamps on it).

But us non-postal-people would probably have to eat them, or join them.

Do any of these wannabe courier people (Whistl, Hermes, DHL) show similar syndromic adherences? Maybe we need an exorcist....a bloody powerful one.

Who doesn't wear shorts, and never buys stuff online.

The message board, which I stumbled across by pure happenstance, was for people with unusually long hair (talk about a niche, eh?).

That is pretty niche! My hair grows at what seems (to me) to be a significantly quicker rate than others. In my younger goth/grunge years I had no trouble growing it down to the bottom of my back (or the top of my bottom - whichever measurement you choose). At that point it needed trimming so I didn't sit on it.

Ditto my nails - they need a trim at least once or twice or week...

My hair grows at what seems (to me) to be a significantly quicker rate than others.
Ditto my nails - they need a trim at least once or twice or week...

Do you display any other atavistic characteristics? Possible signs may include-
  • Not feeling the cold (so: happily wearing short-sleeved shirts whilst others are skating)
  • Cooked preference for steaks: medium-rare (or at least, immobile)
  • Over-arm thrower of unerring accuracy (with tv remote controls / bread-rolls / paperweights / frag grenades etc)
  • Overt user of compact cassettes / reel-to-reel recorders / telegrams
  • Carries a short knife for sharpening pencils, gutting prey and jumping queues

• Not feeling the cold (so: happily wearing short-sleeved shirts whilst others are skating)
  • Cooked preference for steaks: medium-rare (or at least, immobile)
  • Over-arm thrower of unerring accuracy (with tv remote controls / bread-rolls / paperweights / frag grenades etc)
  • Overt user of compact cassettes / reel-to-reel recorders / telegrams
  • Carries a short knife for sharpening pencils, gutting prey and jumping queues
...hm, four out of five. *Coal thoughtfully pares and cleans fingernails with pocket knife*

At least they seem to have stopped dropping red rubber bands all over the place.

They drop them all here now, right on my doorstep. Good job I like collecting them...
They wear shorts to avoid chafing thigh-rot which can go gan green.
My mate's a postie, here's a picture of his foot,
upload_2017-3-12_16-18-12.jpeg

Last edited:
Having a bulging sack will chafe your thighs, yes makes sense.

Is that...dead skin he's just scraped off with that knife?

Hee hee!

Sadly yes, it's exactly that, and whatever has solidified during fermentation...

Back