• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Hmmm, so, as I'm sitting here, a spray can of WD40 just decided to fall off the stool I had set it on.

Scared the crap out of me!! :hide:

Not sure why it decided to fall after about 5 hours of sitting there not falling, but it made a hugely loud noise, and now I don't think I'll be going to sleep for a while!
So you are hiding under the chair it fell from ? :eek:

As far as I know, the WD-40 as spermicide bit is a joke that's been reverberating around the 'Net for years.

The official manufacturer site (WD40.com) does not recommend using WD-40 on skin, owing to the possibility of irritation if skin is compromised or broken.

They posted this in relation to the even more common claim that WD-40 can be used to help with arthritis and joint stiffness. WD-40 does not contain DMSO or anything else that allows it to penetrate the skin, so it's no good for lubing your joints.

As far as I know, the WD-40 as spermicide bit is a joke that's been reverberating around the 'Net for years.

The official manufacturer site (WD40.com) does not recommend using WD-40 on skin, owing to the possibility of irritation if skin is compromised or broken.

They posted this in relation to the even more common claim that WD-40 can be used to help with arthritis and joint stiffness. WD-40 does not contain DMSO or anything else that allows it to penetrate the skin, so it's no good for lubing your joints.
It doesn't work either to... argg I'm thinking out loud again...

..It doesn't work either to... argg I'm thinking out loud again...

Maybe 'Food-lube' ?

Just a suggestion.

I'm told it's very popular down at the old folks home.

INT21

so it's no good for lubing your joints.
Even if you're Usain Bolt? Maybe that's nuts (or at the very least, thread-drift)

Not sure why it decided to fall after about 5 hours of sitting there not falling,
I have a mundane, convoluted (yet not entirely-inconceivable) pseudo-scientific explanation as to how this terrifying tale might've occurred.

But: I hate to spoil a good hauntin', especially iffn' you're running guided tours and selling merchandise* to the tourists (* WD-40, 'natch....)

''First there were the thirty-nine previous steps towards seeking effective water displacement....then...came the one they call the big four-oh. Some say it's when life truly begins....we'll leave that one up to you" (A Quinn-Martin Production. Supported by the Film Board of Canada - In Space, no-one can hear you spray...)

Last edited:
does not contain DMSO
What's your take on The Ramirez Case? Did you opine in response to my previous post (which I cannot find, despite searching the forum for same)

I have a mundane, convoluted (yet not entirely-inconceivable) pseudo-scientific explanation
@Gizmos Mama the decision is yours.

Shall I remove the bag from the cat, as they say in Quebec? Remember- with great power comes great responsibility (this may mean that 110V AC is not exactly the same as a mortgage- does that currently come as a shock to you?)

Note that this is merely a distraction from my main explanation. There's no direct connection with this tangent, I'm just plugging my own material.

Socket to me: do I outline to y'all my honest theory, or do we just keep quiet, and watch those tourist dollars roll-in?

Sadly, my Mysterious Moving Can isn't bringing in the dough on the tourist front, so socket to me, as a mundane explain can't throw any wrench into the works!

Scenario: a fairly well-used aerosol can, containing a high proportion of pressurised propellant versus product (in this case, lubricating oil, a small quantity of which has contaminated the base).

Location: upon a stool. Let's assume this stool has a conformable surface (eg not a granite or other impermeable material). So conceivably PVC or semi-soft paint.

Situation: this well-used spray-can has just been used, and shaken. It therefore possesses a metacentre of gravity which is generally-consistent with it's volume and shape.

However, over time (and as a function of ambient storage temperature) the oil product within the can begins to come out of co-colloidal suspension within the propellant, and coalesce internally towards the bottom of the can.

This initially means that the metacentre of gravity moves downwards, but (importantly) there is a constant episodic reduction in the quantity (cf mass) of oil, at a depletion rate which exceeds that of the propellant.

Ultimately, the quantity of residual propellant, in terms of lighter-than-air lift, is nearly equal to the mass of the remaining product plus the mass of the lightweight tin can (think: miniature tin balloon becomes almost empowered for takeoff). That can is now so ready to fall over...it wants to break free...of gravity...just by a fraction of a Newton. It has become lighter than it was, when originally placed upon the stool

Special catalytic circumstances 1: a tiny air draught, tips over the can. The meta-C-of-G instantly moves up the can, precessing the cylinder into a self-accelerating tumble. And there is a lubricated, warmed, convex air castor underneath this self-lifting can, semi-sealed upon a slippery stool, just perfectly-ready to facilitate an omni-axial tip-trip.

Special catalytic circumstances 2: older aerosol cans were sometimes filled with product and propellent via a plug-sealed feedhole in the centre of their convex bases. If this were to leak (again, assuming that a lot of their content has been expended) they would tend to become lighter, yet have a growing gas bubble of potential tip-lift underneath them, ready to assist in making the cans fall-over.

TL-DR a ghost blew it over

Last edited:
The Most Haunted team clearly missed a trick there. Instead of using a heavy medieval key, coin or small statue as a "trigger object" , they should have got Karl to draw a circle around a can of WD-40 and film that for a few hours. In fact I may try that tonight. Watch this space!

The Most Haunted team clearly missed a trick there. Instead of using a heavy medieval key, coin or small statue as a "trigger object" , they should have got Karl to draw a circle around a can of WD-40 and film that for a few hours. In fact I may try that tonight. Watch this space!

Or they could mark up some large jars of beans in Poundland and have me repeatedly walk past the display!

I had a strange thing happen the other day. I was standing in my garden at about 03:30, and I could hear church bells ringing. Not anything like a wedding day type thing, just a normal sunday type ring. This went on for about 5 mins then faded out, like it was moving away from me. My other half also heard it, so I wasn't mistaking anything else for it.

I had a strange thing happen the other day. I was standing in my garden at about 03:30, and I could hear church bells ringing. Not anything like a wedding day type thing, just a normal sunday type ring. This went on for about 5 mins then faded out, like it was moving away from me. My other half also heard it, so I wasn't mistaking anything else for it.
I like the fact you were standing in your garden at 03:30 - I only do that during a meteor shower, unless I'm coming back from the pub*.

* Maybe 30 years ago...

I like the fact you were standing in your garden at 03:30 - I only do that during a meteor shower, unless I'm coming back from the pub*.

* Maybe 30 years ago...
Yeah...in the garden at that hour?
:party::joint::rasta::dbana::cheer: :beer::joyf: Party?

Hang on - where does he say it's 3.30am? Church bells at 3.30?

My mundane suggestion - ice cream van.

I was stargazing while letting the dog out before bed. The weather was calm, no breeze to speak of. It was the normal ding dong type of ring.
I think it was too 'in the air' for a ringtone

Some of my friends are nerdy
'accurate''

I think the bell was actually tolling for @wolfie61 during daylight. I can tell by the implied length of the shadows, and the click of teacups...15.30hrs (or pre-decimalisation style for those who are in denial about public transport systems and suchlike, viz 3.30pm)

'accurate''

I think the bell was actually tolling for @wolfie61 during daylight. I can tell by the implied length of the shadows, and the click of teacups...15.30hrs (or pre-decimalisation style for those who are in denial about public transport systems and suchlike, viz 3.30pm)

This almost works...lol

This almost works...lol

Yes, but, no, but, are you confirming that this experience occurred at....
  • half-past three in the afternoon (bright sun headed for tea-time in the west) ?
or
  • half-past three in the morning (dark moon headed for breakfast westward) ?
Which was it @wolfie61?

I think Pretty Much it was the first answer. But I wasn't there (as far as I know, anyway).

So we need you to just confirm that. Please :)

2017-09-08 05.25.06.png

I think I can vouch for the dried up frog 'reincarnation' thing in this link .. I found a newt in my Grandad's cellar when I was a nipper .. it was so dry and (I assumed ..dead) that I could carry it by the tip of its tail .. I chucked it into his pond and after a small amount of time, it started wriggling then swam to the bottom of his pond ... I thought I was just doing a burial at sea thing at the time ..

http://www.boredpanda.com/scary-nature/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=dmblog

Dont know why but find number 3 chilling.

I think I can vouch for the dried up frog 'reincarnation' thing in this link .. I found a newt in my Grandad's cellar when I was a nipper .. it was so dry and (I assumed ..dead) that I could carry it by the tip of its tail .. I chucked it into his pond and after a small amount of time, it started wriggling then swam to the bottom of his pond ... I thought I was just doing a burial at sea thing at the time ..

http://www.boredpanda.com/scary-nature/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=dmblog

I keep finding dried-out frogs in my garage - gawd knows how they're getting in - they're fully grown too.

Back