• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Absolutely ! .. our slimey little friends clearly sometimes go into suspended animation in these instances .. that or they're dead, but it's worth a punt to get them wet again to see what happens ..

Throw some water over them!

I'll give it a go next time but I think the last two were a little too far gone -

Frog1.jpg
Frog2.jpg

Yes, but, no, but, are you confirming that this experience occurred at....
  • half-past three in the afternoon (bright sun headed for tea-time in the west) ?
or
  • half-past three in the morning (dark moon headed for breakfast westward) ?
Which was it @wolfie61?

I think Pretty Much it was the first answer. But I wasn't there (as far as I know, anyway).

So we need you to just confirm that. Please :)

View attachment 6065

It was in the morning. which is why it was odd..

While walking in the landscape I sometimes find remnants of "something" in the landscape. Usually it's impossible to determine what it was, at least, without a tremendous amount of research. Strange how information gets wiped out.

https://uair01.blogspot.nl/2017/09/the-mysterious-fragments.html

(Here I'm pretending to know something about kabbalah, philosophy and deep topography. I don't. But still I'm very happy with this landscape meditation. The Dutch landscape really feels like this.)

While walking in the landscape I sometimes find remnants of "something" in the landscape. Usually it's impossible to determine what it was, at least, without a tremendous amount of research. Strange how information gets wiped out.

https://uair01.blogspot.nl/2017/09/the-mysterious-fragments.html

(Here I'm pretending to know something about kabbalah, philosophy and deep topography. I don't. But still I'm very happy with this landscape meditation. The Dutch landscape really feels like this.)

Very nice, Uair01. I notice these things too.

I've been watching such changes in a strictly modern setting. It's amazing how quickly things come and go and are forgotten. If no one keeps a record, there's only memory and a haunting sense that things used to be different.

I wrote something about this briefly on my blog
http://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-end-of-season.html
Even within 20 or 30 years things are easily lost.

I had a strange sensation walking home today. I was looking at the clouds, thinking how pretty they looked when I suddenly felt that they weren't real. The sky and some of the scenery looked like fresco but the sea and the people all looked real. Then I gave a sudden jolt like being awoken from a sleep and all seemed normal again.
I imagine it's similar to when you look at a word a lot and become convinced it's spelt wrong. I don't usually pay much attention to the scenery as I'm keen to get home, but having done so this time it sort of took me out of myself.

Every morning my drive to work takes me from Alton (Hampshire) to Waterlooville, I have been doing this journey for over 15 months and each morning I drive through a place called Denmead. Yesterday morning I saw a grey BMW M3 convertible (E46 model for geeks) driving the other way, I noticed it because it is a car I have always liked.

But it occurred to me that every time I see this car it is in exactly the same place coming the other way, and I don't mean 100 yards down the road, I mean exactly the same place give or take 10 yards.

I don't see it every day, but I do often follow a car I have followed before and I am familiar with many of the cars I see on the journey.

There is a couple of junctions just after I see it where it could join the road so that explains why I never see it further on, but there are no other real junctions for a mile or more the other way, and you don't but an M3 for a 1 mile commute.

Yet I have never seen this car at any other point on my journey, just in exactly that same place EVERY TIME.

Every morning my drive to work takes me from Alton (Hampshire) to Waterlooville, I have been doing this journey for over 15 months and each morning I drive through a place called Denmead. Yesterday morning I saw a grey BMW M3 convertible (E46 model for geeks) driving the other way, I noticed it because it is a car I have always liked.

But it occurred to me that every time I see this car it is in exactly the same place coming the other way, and I don't mean 100 yards down the road, I mean exactly the same place give or take 10 yards.

I don't see it every day, but I do often follow a car I have followed before and I am familiar with many of the cars I see on the journey.

There is a couple of junctions just after I see it where it could join the road so that explains why I never see it further on, but there are no other real junctions for a mile or more the other way, and you don't but an M3 for a 1 mile commute.

Yet I have never seen this car at any other point on my journey, just in exactly that same place EVERY TIME.

Must be something to do with creepy, Fortean old Hampshire! I'm based not far from you and, until a few months back, would drive down to Hook to work each day. Time after time, I would pass the same red Jeep Renegade at virtually the same spot. I was driving a blue Jeep at the time. Bizarrely, once, I recall driving in late, as I had an 08:30 dental appointment, and still spotting that red Jeep at the same spot, but an hour later than my usual commuting time.

Odd. One of my superpowers is navigation, I never get lost. The only place I did, every time, was visiting a company in that part of Hampshire, between Alton and Waterlooville. Every fricking time.

Blessmycottonsocks, each morning I take my daughter to the station and return down one of the side streets.
A while ago each time I passed one of the connecting streets on the way home there would be a dog with it's leg cocked against one of the small trees on the nature strip.
I was never passing at the exact time each day and on one day each week it was at least an hour later but the dog was always there.
Dogs are not supposed to even be out unaccompanied here so I always noticed it and it happened everyday for months, then abruptly stopped. I have never seen the dog since.
I thought it was an odd thing at the time.

I recently bought a tiny 'Now TV' internet streaming box as an addition to the family television 'set' (now there's a last-century term, if ever there was one).
jEeHHnWhhRLc55LeTNpXL1oPQK14I3XpYkvoe2Jled9Gow_3IY4GiGVvBfHRmsP2TML6oA=s85

The remote control is smaller than the size of a £5 note or a $1 bill folded lengthwise, and as thick as a chocolate biscuit. Or was...

And that remote control vanished..:dunno:

I blamed one of my youngsters, as they had fallen asleep on the sofa whilst using it one evening (basically, during an eat-and-watch-tv family return visit).

That remote control had totally disappeared: I had the cushions all pulled out, twice, thrice, fingertip-searched down the inseams of all the furniture, checked under/behind/inside everything. But the damn remote control remained remote....and the 'Now TV' box was more of an uncontrollable Then TV ex-box.

I did all my Charlton Heston "damn you all to hell" grieving/groaning/grumphing stuff over a couple of weeks or longer, and last night was lying out on the sofa, like a widowed regent reclined upon a catafalque. I thought to myself, "the loss of that remote control is just ridiculous...perhaps I'll have to buy a whole new 'Now TV' box. I wish it was back NOW".

And it was.

I just put my hand between the two cushions in the centre of the seat, there. Hard and inargable. Not even slightly-warm after returning from the depths of hell, or partially-cold, following a holiday in space.

Impossible. Utterly. Was not there previously.

No other family members back during the interim to sneak it back. No cushion linings, loose and capacious, within which to hide.

No shagpile carpets / family pets / cleaning staff / recalcitrant chimps / wind vortices / robot vacuum cleaners.

It was gone. It has returned. Now.

It's events like that...they give you pause for thought. What dimension has that remote gone to and returned from? And why? And how?

What dimension has that remote gone to
As a device intended to operate outside the visual spectrum, already transmitting invisisible beams of infra-red radiation, I can only presume that tiny extra-dimensional alien beings (with minds immeasureably-superior to ours) materialised into my plane of existence, in a cross between "Batteries Not Included" and "Fantastic Voyage"#

And that they borrowed it, so as to reverse-engineer our alien technologies, to save their dying planet Betamax, somewhere deep in the western spiral arm of a galaxy far, far away.

It'll have been like a scene from Ocean's 11 (with a cameo played by the guy who played the part of 'Face' in The A Team).

I just wish they could've slid down from the ceiling on kevlar threads and stolen somebody else's damn remote control, for Fort's sake!!

#(definitely not including Eddie Murphy, but possibly starring Jonnny Depp. And that gorgeous Helena Bonham-Carter, of course. But not dressed as a monkey)

I pass through a small Shropshire town on my daily commute. In one of the streets in the town, there is an old-fashioned telephone box that now has a defibrillator installed. Yesterday morning, I passed the phone/defib box and had one of my frequent dark comedy-horror mind movies in which a car crashed into the box and the driver ended up being zapped back to life by the defib!

This morning, I passed by the telephone box. Well, what was left of it. There was nothing left apart from a few wires poking out of the ground and a large, jagged section of the cast iron frame sticking up into the air. It definitely looked as if a vehicle had hit it.

When I was in my late teens and still living in my parents' home, we had quite a lot of shape-shifting silverware. I'd be in the kitchen, ready to prepare some tea or some Nestle's Quik, and there would be no spoons. The silverware drawer would have plenty of knives and forks, but no spoon anywhere. The sink might have a dozen pieces of dirty silverware, but not a single spoon. There would be forks all over the place, but not a spoon anywhere. One time, I recalled that I had left a bowl on the floor at the end of the sofa, after finishing some ice cream, probably the night before. I went and found the bowl, right where I had left it. There was a handle sticking out of it. The handle of another damned fork! Being screwed with by the Silverware Gods is particularly annoying when you are thirsty for some tea.

When I was in my late teens and still living in my parents' home, we had quite a lot of shape-shifting silverware. I'd be in the kitchen, ready to prepare some tea or some Nestle's Quik, and there would be no spoons. The silverware drawer would have plenty of knives and forks, but no spoon anywhere. The sink might have a dozen pieces of dirty silverware, but not a single spoon. There would be forks all over the place, but not a spoon anywhere. One time, I recalled that I had left a bowl on the floor at the end of the sofa, after finishing some ice cream, probably the night before. I went and found the bowl, right where I had left it. There was a handle sticking out of it. The handle of another damned fork! Being screwed with by the Silverware Gods is particularly annoying when you are thirsty for some tea.

It was the Demon of Minor Inconvenience. :evil:

Chatting with the hairdresser one day, as you do, the subject turned to ghosts and she mentioned that in the cottage where she lived they couldn't keep forks for long.

It was a house share with several hardworking young women who weren't apt to play silly jokes on each other.

They'd notice the forks missing and blame each other at first until they realised that even when all the cutlery was washed up and put away, next time they looked there'd be fewer forks.

They decided to buy more when necessary and stop worrying about it. It was a rented house so one hopes all the forks were present for the inventory when they left.

I hear you. I have terrible trouble with spoons.

Chatting with the hairdresser one day, as you do, the subject turned to ghosts and she mentioned that in the cottage where she lived they couldn't keep forks for long.

It was a house share with several hardworking young women who weren't apt to play silly jokes on each other.

They'd notice the forks missing and blame each other at first until they realised that even when all the cutlery was washed up and put away, next time they looked there'd be fewer forks.

They decided to buy more when necessary and stop worrying about it. It was a rented house so one hopes all the forks were present for the inventory when they left.

House opposite our's when I was a kid, two kids who became my friends moved there. Their front room was the village shop. That house had this kind of thing happen constantly - keys in particular, would vanish utterly then reappear ages later, somewhere else entirely. I was very close friends with the lads who lived there and know for a fact they weren't doing it. (Their mum probably thought it was us kids). Really classic poltergeist style activity, and TBH no-one was surprised as it was only metres away from our house which also was interesting.

My friends' mum became my mum's best friend, and she found it all a bit much, so after several years they moved away. Outsiders no-one knew bought the house, reverted the shop to a living room, and had nothing to do with anyone so we never found out if the vanishing metal things continued. I'd often hear the new women screaming at her kid and thought it seemed somehow an unhappy house for people to live in.Not a place where anyone had good luck. Weird, I know and irrational.

The oddest thing was, my mum's best friend was pregnant at the time they moved away. The same night my mother died suddenly and unexpectedly of an asthma attack, her best friend went into labour (not yet knowing mum had died) and gave birth to a lovely little girl with - again totally unexpected - cerebral palsy. Not that those two things are related just it seemed so sad, that my friends' little sister was severely disabled, and born probably around the time my mum died, during the night. They'd only just left that house.

Relieved to know that we are not the only victims of the inexplicable translocating remote controls. One of ours has never returned from the other side but the small cheap one pulled a vanishing act Saturday followed by a smug return into plain sight after i turned the room upside down- cushions off sofa, extreme vacuuming, curtain shaking, sewing box emptied the works. Even checked dog basket. Husband triumphantly "found"6 hours later on bookcase by my magazine I had planned to read that morning (rather than do housework).

Back