• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Hold on there! I made a cleaner version in Corel Draw and that's the one Scargy is using now. It's not animated, but the original was a GIF that was animated.

Yes, I know ... But I'm the one who located a static version of her prior animated avatar. It was in December 2014, and the posts are in this thread:

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/smilies-emoticons-lost-during-changeover.58289/

NOTE: Did the new forum software not allow for animated GIF avatars? I don't remember ...

I'm asking because the one I found 3 years ago, at its current URL:

http://www.shira.net/snail-roll-r-2inch.gif

... is animated.

Yes, I know ... But I'm the one who located a static version of her prior animated avatar. It was in December 2014, and the posts are in this thread:

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/smilies-emoticons-lost-during-changeover.58289/

NOTE: Did the new forum software not allow for animated GIF avatars? I don't remember ...

I'm asking because the one I found 3 years ago, at its current URL:

http://www.shira.net/snail-roll-r-2inch.gif

... is animated.
For some reason, animated avatars don't work on this forum software.

Here's the animated version - uploaded so escargot can readily locate a replacement the next time it goes missing ...

:evillaugh:

snail-roll-r-2inch.gif

My 16 yr old cat was quite seriously unwell last year, he has a condition called chylothorax (thoracic leak of fluid into chest - they usually don’t survive but he’s defied the odds for 5 years, with 3 surgeries to remove fluid) for which we are advised not to feed him any fat.

After a pretty daunting few weeks taking a diuretic last year he became so weak and thin I thought we were losing him. In a desperate attempt to perk him up we gave him a few saucers of semi skimmed and he lapped it up. Within a few days of this habit (naughty as it contains fat) he had livened up and begun to put weight back on. Of course, we don’t attribute that to the milk, but he does get a saucer now every evening out of habit and god help us if we withdrew it!

He’s quite a Fortean little odd ball indeed.
Bless your oldie oddball cat! Bast love 'im:angel:
Conventional wisdom says don't give milk to dogs or cats, but a small dollop as a treat is much in demand whenever I have a coffee in front of the pets. I think the conventional wisdom, perfectly wise at a time of early vets, was to not substitute milk for water when people gave cats just milk. That's still wise--pets need their clean water dishes. Even now, some pets may react poorly to milk. But in my experience, 1/4 teaspoon for begging cats, a tablespoon for a begging chiweeinie, and a scant 1/4 cup for a real dog quells begging and has no gastric after effects

Ever get the impression someone is looking after you?

Self diagnosed tendonitis in my foot flared up..nothing dramatic but it been there lurking for two months. Couldn't get through to the doctor's to make an appointment...so what do you know, that very day a paramedic practitioner working at the drop in centre books my place on Airbnb for the following night.

We get talking when he's here and he exams my foot and confirms my diagnosis. Tells me what I need is to pay for a single appointment with a physio or osteopath who'll tell me exactly how to speed up recovery.£30-50 he reckons they'd charge. Unless of course THEY're paying ME...because while he's sitting there I get an airbnb booking for next weekend...from a lady who is an an international elite sports physiotherapist working for the premier league, flying in from South Africa to fiddle with the thighs of Liverpool footballers. What are the chances.

If I get a booking from a proctologist next I'll believe in angels.

Conventional wisdom says don't give milk to dogs or cats, but a small dollop as a treat is much in demand whenever I have a coffee in front of the pets.

The former Mr Snail would attempt to woo me most mornings with tea, all presented on a tray with teapot, milk etc. Tiggy the cat soon learned that there was milk in the offing and he started bringing a saucer and pouring some for her, or we'd get no peace.

When he'd forget, she'd meow indignantly and eventually dip a paw in a cup of hot tea and look at us as if to say 'Look what you've made me do NOW!'

If we locked her out she'd climb on the shed roof and meow at our window from there. We always caved and called her in.

The former Mr Snail would attempt to woo me most mornings with tea, all presented on a tray with teapot, milk etc. Tiggy the cat soon learned that there was milk in the offing and he started bringing a saucer and pouring some for her, or we'd get no peace.

When he'd forget, she'd meow indignantly and eventually dip a paw in a cup of hot tea and look at us as if to say 'Look what you've made me do NOW!'

If we locked her out she'd climb on the shed roof and meow at our window from there. We always caved and called her in.
Cats are very good at blaming everyone but themselves. Our weird little creature has very short front legs and is as clumsy as they come. Frequently slips and nearly falls and then frowns at you as though to say "that was entirely your fault".

Cats are very good at blaming everyone but themselves. Our weird little creature has very short front legs and is as clumsy as they come. Frequently slips and nearly falls and then frowns at you as though to say "that was entirely your fault".

Well, to be fair it always IS your fault.

Very quickly, here's something that's been bugging me for over 25 years, and may just fit here.
Between 1992 and 1996 I spent a lot of time in Plymouth at university (barring the year and a bit I lived in Dublin on placement). There was a chemist down the steps near the Purple Haze comic shop that had a sign in the window that read:
"Piercing for babies and telescopes".
It sort of looked as if it was half a sign, as it the right hand half had been removed, but no one could come up with any idea what the full sign might read. And of course, being feckless students, nobody could be arsed to go in and ask.
Do any Plymouth people recall the sign, and perhaps have a solution to this quarter-of-a-century-old mystery?

Very quickly, here's something that's been bugging me for over 25 years, and may just fit here.
Between 1992 and 1996 I spent a lot of time in Plymouth at university (barring the year and a bit I lived in Dublin on placement). There was a chemist down the steps near the Purple Haze comic shop that had a sign in the window that read:
"Piercing for babies and telescopes".
It sort of looked as if it was half a sign, as it the right hand half had been removed, but no one could come up with any idea what the full sign might read. And of course, being feckless students, nobody could be arsed to go in and ask.
Do any Plymouth people recall the sign, and perhaps have a solution to this quarter-of-a-century-old mystery?

This talk may have revealed the connection - but we are three years too late! :buck:

I have a theory ...

The sign was known to have been posted at least 20 years ago.

Then, more so than now, piercings were not the sort of thing that one might advertise widely or as explicitly as other services.

Then, just as now, the notion of piercings for babies / infants was controversial, but not as controversial or likely to put off customers as piercings for 'telescopes' ...

... where 'telescope' is cited in its mid-20th century usage as a slang euphemism for a penis.

Well, I've had a number of strange things happen around the time people I know have died. One of them was, one morning, I woke to hear my nan saying my name out loud. The voice sounded somehow internal rather than external and she sounded younger than she had in recent years. I went downstairs after hearing the voice to find a message on the phone saying she had died. Nothing like this has ever happened before or since.

We just got back from Prague a couple of days ago. Iust before we landed I had read (in Mike Tyson's autobiography) of him meeting James Brown. James Brown stated that he was not a fighter, but next time he met Jackie Wilson he would knock his head off for messing up his hair.

We got to our hotel, dropped off our bags and went to get a drink. Sitting in the bar, two songs came on back to back. One by James Brown followed by one by Jackie Wilson. Nothing major I know.

We just got back from Prague a couple of days ago. Iust before we landed I had read (in Mike Tyson's autobiography) of him meeting James Brown. James Brown stated that he was not a fighter, but next time he met Jackie Wilson he would knock his head off for messing up his hair.

We got to our hotel, dropped off our bags and went to get a drink. Sitting in the bar, two songs came on back to back. One by James Brown followed by one by Jackie Wilson. Nothing major I know.

Many years ago a bloke came up to me and a couple of drinking chums in our local and told us a sad story about his daughter who had just got out of hospital after attempting suicide - she was convinced that she was ugly and no one liked her.
He asked if we would make her welcome if he bought her in for a drink the following day - no problem as would were likely to be in there anyhow.
The next day the chap and his daughter walked in and the jukebox, which had been silent up to then, suddenly chirped up on its random play with "When I'm dead and gone - McGuinness Flint"
We never saw them again which was a shame as she was rather good looking.

Missing Mussels Mystery

I bought some half price mussels in garlic butter sauce which came in a box containing 2 plastic boil in the bag pouches. I had one the other day & left the other for the next day. Today it has vanished - the box & the other pouch. The rubbish bag has one plastic pouch in it but what's happened to the other I have no idea.

Missing Mussels Mystery

I bought some half price mussels in garlic butter sauce which came in a box containing 2 plastic boil in the bag pouches. I had one the other day & left the other for the next day. Today it has vanished - the box & the other pouch. The rubbish bag has one plastic pouch in it but what's happened to the other I have no idea.

Do you have a cat?

Missing Mussels Mystery

On the upside in about four days the second pack will be ideal as bait for tench fishing.

No cat. I do have occasional mice but I doubt they'd be able to spirit away the box & vacuum packed pouch.

More strangeness today - I had 4 Jamie Oliver bowls, one of which I promptly broke shortly after buying them probably a couple of years ago, leaving 3. This morning I have 4 bowls again. One has reconstructed & rematerialised.

I've lived in this house for 20 years & up to now it's been a relatively strangeness free zone.

One has reconstructed & rematerialise
Had one perhaps adhered to the underside of one of it's fellows? In a (successful) attempt to escape detection. Or perhaps hidden in the dishwasher.

Unless they've bred. Crockery can, if put under stress. It's like that bit in Jurassic Park, when some of them change sex....

Last edited:
Had one perhaps adhered to the underside of one of it's fellows? In a (successful) attempt to escape detection. Or perhaps hidden in the dishwasher.

Unless they've bred. Crockery can, if put under stress. It's like that bit in Jurrassic Park, when some of them change sex....

No, it broke into several pieces when it hit the floor & the pieces went in the bin.

Back