• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

If you have back issues, it's better to invest in an ergonomic seat. It's much more expansive, but at least, it reduces the risk of letting your back lose its natural S curve, which a cheap gym ball hardly does. Doing morning exercises on a very regular basis (forever) is also a must to strengthen your back and "program" your brains to ignore some of the pain. It doesn't prevent the sciatica from coming back, but it certainly helps. A good mattress also helps, because, most people (me included) tend to sleep in bad "positions". So if you put a couple of hours on a superb seat in balance with a whole night spent in a catastrophic bed, the bed always wins, and your back suffers ...

That being said, the worst sciatica I ever had occurred after several months of supposedly back strengthening bodybuilding. There are so many possible causes to back pain (muscular tensions, hernia, tumours, arthrosis, ...) that whatever one does for prevention, the threat always looms. It appears that sciatica is like death and taxes : hard to avoid !
I actually have a very strong back, with no real back problems at all, until I sat on that damn gym ball! The only other sciatica I've had that really made me suffer was back in the summer, when I twisted my back, which set off a leg-drag, which made me catch a foot when running and fall over, which, in turn, set off the sciatica. It went away just as quickly though, a couple of days later.

Anyway. Today's Minor Strangeness. As dog and I were running back along our road, the milk tanker came down the hill towards us, indicating to turn into the farm track. I half looked away to watch the dog, and could have sworn that I saw the tanker actually turn down the track. But when I looked back up again, the tanker was still approaching the gateway and slowing to turn.

Brain filling things in, I suppose. I knew the tanker would be going down the track and over estimated its speed, so I thought I saw it turn before it did.

So we're talking of somewhere along here;
View attachment 69431
Just thinking back to this experience and the Green Man account from the 80s.
I travel along here very often and my wife too quite often. Although it looks straight and open in the pic, it is quite twisty with blind bends in places from the trees on.
We have both experienced really irresponsible drivers quite often along this road, overtaking when they can't see ahead, swinging wide on corners and two or three accidents in the past year or so.

I was wondering if a road or area linked to strange phenomena can have an unconcious influence on drivers travelling along it?

I travel along here very often and my wife too quite often. Although it looks straight and open in the pic, it is quite twisty with blind bends in places from the trees on.
We have both experienced really irresponsible drivers quite often along this road, overtaking when they can't see ahead, swinging wide on corners and two or three accidents in the past year or so.

I was wondering if a road or area linked to strange phenomena can have an unconcious influence on drivers travelling along it?
Good point G. I suppose it could do.

(The more cynical and dissillusioned side of me would say that it's simply that a lot of drivers are idiots).

Could you have a chat with some of the locals on that road/in the area one day and perhaps find out a bit more?

Ozzy lives just down the road. He and his son do paranormal type programmes I believe.
Give him a call! (Preferably when Sharon is out).
Ozzy.jpg

In the metro people prefer to sit facing in the direction of travel (even though the opposite choice is much safer in case of an accident).
View attachment 3749
Don't know about those forward facing jokers but I get motion sickness if I ride facing backward. Has to do with feeling movement in one direction but seeing movement going the opposite direction.

This is *very* minor time strangeness....

Woke up at 5:12 on Wednesday morning...got up, ate a bit of breakfast, played some House Flipper, y'know, eased into my morning. After awhile, it was after 6 am, so I walked my rent check down to the mailbox. When I got back from that, I looked at the clock and it was 5:16. WTH?

Then on Friday, 11:11

And yesterday, 11:11

And this morning I woke up at 1:55. Went to the bathroom, sat down at my computer for a bit before heading back to bed. As the screen came up, it was 1:59 and as I watched, changed to 1:00. WTAH??? Oh yeah, Daylight Savings Time.

So, like I said, *very* minor strangeness. I think my synchronicities are trying to tell me I need to watch the clock more?

Or maybe my time is just about up?

Yes, my wife was fussy this morning about missing her Sunday’s usual news program, but I reminded her that today was the first day that we went back to standard central time and she has not missed this program.

She said Oh !

My wife did not changed her watch time after I told her to do so.

This is *very* minor time strangeness....

Woke up at 5:12 on Wednesday morning...got up, ate a bit of breakfast, played some House Flipper, y'know, eased into my morning. After awhile, it was after 6 am, so I walked my rent check down to the mailbox. When I got back from that, I looked at the clock and it was 5:16. WTH?

Then on Friday, 11:11

And yesterday, 11:11

And this morning I woke up at 1:55. Went to the bathroom, sat down at my computer for a bit before heading back to bed. As the screen came up, it was 1:59 and as I watched, changed to 1:00. WTAH??? Oh yeah, Daylight Savings Time.

So, like I said, *very* minor strangeness. I think my synchronicities are trying to tell me I need to watch the clock more?

Or maybe my time is just about up?
For many weeks I used to wake up at 01.11 without fail, then it became 02.22. Currently it's 03.33, never altering whether it's GMT or BST. I can't put it down to specific causes (milk deliveries etc) because it happens wherever I am. Weird.

I deliberately set my watch 5 minutes slow this Summer so I'd never be late to work and the strategy worked .. except one single day when I over slept and I was 10 minutes late .. other than that, my plan worked.
That would drive me mad. I have to have them all set exactly.

Strangely, the battery kitchen clock that cost £5 from poundstretcher keeps better time than the two digital ones;
The one on the cooker gains, and the one on the thermometer loses.

I deliberately set my watch 5 minutes slow this Summer so I'd never be late to work and the strategy worked .. except one single day when I over slept and I was 10 minutes late .. other than that, my plan worked.

Surely you'd need to set your watch 5 minutes fast to do that? Unless it's a double bluff, 'cos you know it's slow so you over-compensate, just to make sure?

Surely you'd need to set your watch 5 minutes fast to do that? Unless it's a double bluff, 'cos you know it's slow so you over-compensate, just to make sure?
I set it slow .. 5 minutes behind the actual time. That way, I'd always turn up on time except I'd fool myself by instead being 5 minutes early instead. Every morning I'd just woken up .. numbers meant nothing to me at that stage, only having a piss and remembering to put something in my pocket to eat on the way, cough sweets as well, a pen, my wallet, three roll up ciggys etc etc .. I slavishly obey Casio's so I got there early every day, hungover (probably) or not.

Good song. I read somewhere that Paul wrote this song after seeing a stranger on a hill one day when he was out walking. I can't find the exact thing where I read about itat the moment, but here's what wikipedia has to say:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fool_on_the_Hill
Songfacts has this:

An event which prompted this song happened when Paul was walking his dog, Martha, on Primrose Hill one morning. As he watched the sun rise, he noticed that Martha was missing. Paul turned around to look for his dog, and there a man stood, who appeared on the hill without making a sound. The gentleman was dressed respectably, in a belted raincoat. Paul knew this man had not been there seconds earlier as he had looked in that direction for Martha. Paul and the stranger exchanged a greeting, and this man then spoke of what a beautiful view it was from the top of this hill that overlooked London. Within a few seconds, Paul looked around again, and the man was gone. He had vanished as he had appeared. A friend of McCartney's, Alistair Taylor, was present with Paul during this strange incident, and wrote of this event in his book, Yesterday.

Both Paul and Alistair could not imagine what happened to this man. He had seemed to vanish in thin air. The nearest trees for cover were too far to reach by walking or running in a few seconds, and the crest of the hill was too far as well to reach in that short time. What made the experience even more mysterious, was that just before this man first appeared, Paul and Alistair were speaking to each other of the beauty they observed of the view towards London and the existence of God. Once back home, they spent the morning discussing what had happened, trying to make some sense of it. They both agreed that this was something others were infer occurred as a result of an "acid trip," but they both swore they had not taken or used any drugs. When Paul filmed the sequence for this song in the film, it shows him on a hilltop overlooking the town of Nice.

That would drive me mad. I have to have them all set exactly.

Strangely, the battery kitchen clock that cost £5 from poundstretcher keeps better time than the two digital ones;
The one on the cooker gains, and the one on the thermometer loses.
The clock in my car, which is supposed to be synchronised to whatever, the same as phones, has never ever adjusted when the clocks go forward or back. And it's consistently 6 minutes slow. Even when put right, it immediately becomes slow again. Sometimes it's an hour and six minutes slow (when the clocks go forward). I now have to perform mental arithmatic when driving anywhere.

And it's the clock on the central console thingie, as well as the dashboard clock. Both the same amount of wrong.

Okay, that was not at all creepy. 9:12-9:13pm I was preparing my frozen pizza for dinner (don't judge, I get a craving sometimes). This is an oven-baked pizza. I am fairly close to my microwave, but not so close that I could actually hit any buttons by accident.

All of a sudden my microwave turns on. The display still reads the time, but here it is, turning an empty carousel. I opened the door and it stopped. Closed the door and it started again. Unplugged the damned thing and am keeping the door open for good measure.

I know this is some weird electrical thing, but the timing really messed with me. What if it had turned on in the middle of the night and just kept going?

Okay, that was not at all creepy. 9:12-9:13pm I was preparing my frozen pizza for dinner (don't judge, I get a craving sometimes). This is an oven-baked pizza. I am fairly close to my microwave, but not so close that I could actually hit any buttons by accident.

All of a sudden my microwave turns on. The display still reads the time, but here it is, turning an empty carousel. I opened the door and it stopped. Closed the door and it started again. Unplugged the damned thing and am keeping the door open for good measure.

I know this is some weird electrical thing, but the timing really messed with me. What if it had turned on in the middle of the night and just kept going?
I've mentioned before about coming home from work to find my multi stack CD player blasting away to itself. Used to give me a turn it did until it was diagnosed by a repairer as a faulty switch. I suspect your microwave problem will be the same unless your resident poltergeist is trying to tell you it is hungry.

I sometimes find my printer control panel lit up when I haven't even switched on my laptop.
The printer is connected to the router with an ethernet cable so it's probably some sort of spurious signal.

At least there wasn't a potato in it.

The clock in my car, which is supposed to be synchronised to whatever, the same as phones, has never ever adjusted when the clocks go forward or back. And it's consistently 6 minutes slow.

Electronic devices can do strange things for sure. They sometimes seem to get an "idea", and then stick with it, never mind that it's nonsense! I've had clocks do something similar to your experience, but they normally sort themselves out in the end.

For example, when the clocks went back the other weekend, my mobile phone, TV and so on sorted themselves out immediately. However, my "smart" watch took a full day to revert properly to GMT. Whenever it went into standby, the "screensaver" watchface continued to show BST, but when I woke the watch, the hands immediately jumped back an hour. This lasted throughout the Sunday, but by Monday, all was fine.

Just recently I noticed the number 7 key on my numeric keypad was missing.

This was strange as the keyboard never leaves the desk it is on and to unplug it from my PC I would have to crouch under my desk to get to the back of it.

A couple of days ago I was picking something off my bed when I trod on something sharp under the bed, it was the missing 7 key.

No one else has been in my house in all this time.

How it left they keyboard or ended up 6 feet away I don't know.

Last edited:
Back