• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I’ve only recently started noticing this - I just poured a beer - Old Speckled Hen in case you’re wondering - into a glass. When I picked it up to take a swig some minutes later, moisture was apparent on the desk where the glass had been. Where did it come from?

I hadn’t spilt any - it must be some sort of condensation.. The beer was room temperature - not out of the fridge.

I’ve only recently started noticing this - I just poured a beer - Old Speckled Hen in case you’re wondering - into a glass. When I picked it up to take a swig some minutes later, moisture was apparent on the desk where the glass had been. Where did it come from?

I hadn’t spilt any - it must be some sort of condensation.. The beer was room temperature - not out of the fridge.
Yep it would be condensation, presumably you took the beer from the fridge. Condensation gets everywhere in winter. edit just realised didn't come from the fridge, but presumably the bottle was colder than the desk surface or vice versa.

It could be that the room was still warmer than the beer and/or glass (even though the beer wasn't cold), and therefore the warm air in the room hit a cold(er) surface, causing condensation. ?

A liquid is usually colder than the surrounding air, even if it's not been refrigerated.

***************************************************************************************************************************

Is there anything more annoying than when a place mat/coaster sticks to the bottom of your glass/mug though?

On a similar theme opening the fridge this am I noticed a very bright blue stain in the bottle holder on the door. A jar of pickled red cabbage had stood there until last night until it was finished off for tea. I wonder how red cabbage produces a very distinct very blue stain? Must be some sort of chemical reaction.

It could be that the room was still warmer than the beer and/or glass (even though the beer wasn't cold), and therefore the warm air in the room hit a cold(er) surface, causing condensation. ?

A liquid is usually colder than the surrounding air, even if it's not been refrigerated.

***************************************************************************************************************************

Is there anything more annoying than when a place mat/coaster sticks to the bottom of your glass/mug though?
And refuses to get knocked off when you've got both hands full?

On a similar theme opening the fridge this am I noticed a very bright blue stain in the bottle holder on the door. A jar of pickled red cabbage had stood there until last night until it was finished off for tea. I wonder how red cabbage produces a very distinct very blue stain? Must be some sort of chemical reaction.
I think red cabbage can turn bluish if it is mixed with things like baking soda (basic pH) and reddish if mixed with vinegar (acidic pH). It is one of the plants that can be used to make dye.

Some of that red cabbage has had dye added, I think.
When it oxidises, it changes colour.

OK, I'm just guessing.

Here's an authoritative voice on red cabbage. No dye involved:

"Red cabbage contains a water-soluble pigment called anthocyanin that changes color when it is mixed with an acid or a base. The pigment reversibly turns red in acidic environments with a pH less than 7 and the pigment turns bluish-green in alkaline (basic) environments with a pH greater than 7."
https://themuseum.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/For-Site-Colour-Changing-Cabbage-Water.pdf

The weird thing is, I’ve been drinking beer for several decades but have only recently become aware of this! Shows how observant I am..

Regarding red cabbage—simply steaming it the old fashioned hippy way will turn it blue.
(As opposed to how one turns red when steamed from trying to knock the coaster off the bottom of the beer glass while both hands are full. :D )

Yes, the moisture is due to condensation. Warm air holds more moisture than cool air. When air cools, water condenses and that's how dew is made.
What is odd is either:
a) You've never noticed, or
b) It's only just started happening, in which case, why is there more moisture in the air, or why is the beer staying cooler at "room temperature". Had any extreme weather events involving rain lately?

Here's an authoritative voice on red cabbage. No dye involved:

"Red cabbage contains a water-soluble pigment called anthocyanin that changes color when it is mixed with an acid or a base. The pigment reversibly turns red in acidic environments with a pH less than 7 and the pigment turns bluish-green in alkaline (basic) environments with a pH greater than 7."
https://themuseum.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/For-Site-Colour-Changing-Cabbage-Water.pdf
Ah a definitive explanation- I was hoping it would remain a life mystery though.

Was looking at cabbages yesterday- why is it that sometimes one the size of a melon costs the same as one the size of an apple (they had bar-code stickers on them) and yet other times they're priced on weight?

Yes, the moisture is due to condensation. Warm air holds more moisture than cool air. When air cools, water condenses and that's how dew is made.
What is odd is either:
a) You've never noticed, or
b) It's only just started happening, in which case, why is there more moisture in the air, or why is the beer staying cooler at "room temperature". Had any extreme weather events involving rain lately?
No - I think it’s down to a] rather than b]
Could the beer have been close to a lamp on your desk that had an old-style lightbulb in - ie one that gets very hot - unlike an led type?
Also no - nothing producing that much heat nearby.

No - I think it’s down to a] rather than b]

Also no - nothing producing that much heat nearby.
The higher the dew point of the air, the more likely it is to happen.

The dew point is the temperature at which moisture will condense out of the air on to a surface.

Was looking at cabbages yesterday- why is it that sometimes one the size of a melon costs the same as one the size of an apple (they had bar-code stickers on them) and yet other times they're priced on weight?
Our shops keeps changing what is sold by weight and what by unit. Bananas used to be sold by weight, as of the last couple of weeks they have been sold by unit. It just seems to be shop's own decision.

Our shops keeps changing what is sold by weight and what by unit. Bananas used to be sold by weight, as of the last couple of weeks they have been sold by unit. It just seems to be shop's own decision.
I wouldn't mind so much, but one of them (white) had a label below that said price per kilo £**** (I forget the figure now) and next to it it said 'price per unit'.
As they had a bar code on them though, I knew they would be the same price regardless of size.

Yep. Annoying. Cabbages are cabbages. Here, the red are often priced higher.
It used to be the same here in the onion arena (red versus white) but lately they seem to the same price now.

It makes it easier for me, because when I put an avocado through the self-service till, I now don't have to faff around looking specifically for 'white onions' on the screen.

an authoritative voice on red cabbage
This is virtually verging upon vegetable veracity, and must be worthy of our praise.

here in the onion arena
Do people cry as they watch them cutting each-other up, in the ring?

Ah a definitive explanation- I was hoping it would remain a life mystery though.
Keep that thought...because was/is universal pH paper not behued a neutral white, as opposed to being an acidicly-inclinated purplish-red already?

That's strange: I'd never previously thought of the analogy between pH colourisation, and the shade affiliations associated with political parties.

The following observation is politically (and chromatically) neutral: I refer to the unexplained (and uncommented-upon) North American colour-code inversion, wherein right-wing is red, versus left-wing being idiosyncratically-blue. Is there any explanation for this, or is it somehow hidden in the depths of 1777? (Mods: please note this part is not a political post, but is a post about a perceptable political puzzle)

Last edited:
That's the old Brooklands track. Back in my student days I had a holiday job there at British Aerospace. I remember walking around the banked track with a young lady I worked with one lunchtime.
Happy days!
Came across a couple of snaps of Brooklands on a Facebook 'old roads' page.

Not sure if this counts, definitely an abandoned piece of history... The old banking at Brooklands, now leading to a dead end and surrounded by trees

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1706259343627.jpg
    FB_IMG_1706259343627.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 14
  • FB_IMG_1706259335446.jpg
    FB_IMG_1706259335446.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 15
This is virtually verging upon vegetable veracity, and must be worthy of our praise.

Do people cry as they watch them cutting each-other up, in the ring?

Keep that thought...because was/is universal pH paper not behued a neutral white, as opposed to being an acidically-inclinated purplish-red already?

That's strange: I'd never previously thought of the analogy between pH colourisation, and the shade affiliations associated with political parties.

The following observation is politically (and chromatically) neutral: I refer to the unexplained (and uncommented-upon) North American colour-code inversion, wherein right-wing is red, versus left-wing being idiosyncratically-blue. Is there any explanation for this, or is it somehow hidden in the depths of 1777? (Mods: please note this part is not a political post, but is a post about a perceptable political puzzle)
I like your thought about 1777. Maybe the traditional, conservative side of the political spectrum came to be associated with the red coats of the British soldiers. :D

The coats were only red to hide any blood shed.
Absolute stupidity for 'camouflage', but maintained by idiots who hadn't learned 'in the field'.
The concrete seems to have been layed in very small rectangles.
You'd have thought that they'd have done larger stretches so as to avoid as many joints- ie bumps when driving over them.
The joints also allow for expansion and water run-off.

The coats were only red to hide any blood shed.
Absolute stupidity for 'camouflage', but maintained by idiots who hadn't learned 'in the field'.

The joints also allow for expansion and water run-off.
There was no need for camouflage because of the ludicrously stupid style of warfare that was the de facto standard back then.
Meet in a field, line up facing the enemy, charge. The winner is the side with most men left standing. World War 1 was the last time this style of warfare was employed. They were using camouflage by this time.

(the concrete) seems to have been layed in very small rectangles

I'm suddenly-struck by how long ago it was that (allegedly) the late British morality campaigner Mary Whitehouse was ('they' said) initially incensed by newspaper headlines regarding a foreign woman of questionable virtue named "Sarah Pippeliné", who'd apparently been laid "end to end by hundreds of Arabs".

This anecdote has probably not seen the light of day since well before the end of last millennium, but it's always struck me as being so ludicrous to have perhaps been true.

Back