• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

My Dad was in Egypt during WW2 and to numb themselves from the constant air attacks by Stuka divebombers they concocted a drink they named 'Stuka Juice'. Some of the ingredients were Meths and condensed milk with a few other things I have forgotten now. He said after a swig of that you didn't have a care in the world.
Because you'd lost your sight and hearing and could no longer be upset by the air attacks?

I think that my dad had no need of the drink because of his fatalism. Apparently he was in a bit of a dispute with whoever was in charge as he refused some advice on sleeping arrangements. Something to do with embedding himself into the sand. 'If ow Jerry had my name on one of them there bombs it was a gowin to get me whether I was uncomfortable in or comfortable out'.

OK, this is a weird one. Was asleep last night having a nightmare, which I abruptly woke from as some monster was biting off my finger.

Thing is, when I calmed down and looked, there was actually a cut on said finger, fresh and bleeding. Only a tiny cut.

But, what could have cut it? I was in bed, there's nothing sharp there. I checked the quilt and blankets.

At least the cut doesn't look much like a bite, which is a bit reassuring. More like what you get if rummaging a drawer and something sharp runs up your fingernail.
Cochise has the corner edge of one of your other fingers grown sharp?
If you have clenched your hand whilst asleep it could have cut you. I have found this out whilst just doing
things like peeling or grating and felt a sudden cut.

Cochise has the corner edge of one of your other fingers grown sharp?
If you have clenched your hand whilst asleep it could have cut you. I have found this out whilst just doing
things like peeling or grating and felt a sudden cut.
Actually that makes a lot of sense. I have had problems with fingers on that hand curling up of their own accord recently due to the progression of my spinal injury.

I was invited down for tea and cake at my friend's house this morning . Her youngest granddaughter had stayed overnight and she wanted to see me.
I took down some earrings for her I'd received with an Ebay purchase as I don't have pierced ears and the granddaughter does.
My friend said that last night she saw something shining on the carpet and it was an earring. She rang her other granddaughter who had visited for dinner but it wasn't hers and it didn't belong to the youngest. My friend doesn't have pierced ears either.
I wondered if it had been caught in a shoe tread but the granddaughter said that it was too wide and the spike was flattened.

Afternoon Mr F. We have the boiler on a setting where it stays turned off untill a dial is turned up on a rad then the boiler fires itself up
If the boiler comes on when you turn a rad up though, unless the rad valve is connected electrically to the boiler controls it must mean the heating is technically on all the time with the pump running?

I was standing in the kitchen yesterday, tidying up before having my dinner, when I heard the dog behind me shaking her head. You know the flappy-ear sound that dogs with floppy ears make when they shake their heads? It annoyed me because yesterday, despite a 6.5 mile run, the dog was fidgetty and I'd left her asleep on the sofa under her blanket, having finally....finally settled down for a snooze. I thought she'd got up again and followed me into the kitchen.

But she was still under her blanket. I don't know what it was that made the 'floppy dog-ear' noise. Having ascertained that dog was still safely asleep, I tried to recreate what I'd been doing to see if the noise came again, but, of course, it didn't.

Why do so many things occur at my kitchen sink? I was washing up the tea things and it was dark outside, so the kitchen was reflected dully in the window. I was gazing absent-mindedly at/through the windowpanes when my attention was caught by what I thought was the movement of a shadow. It seemed like a shadow had crossed the scullery door, which was visible in the reflection. Except I was the only one in the kitchen - I did move from side to side to check whether it could have been me shifting about that caused an effect via the glass, but I couldn't replicate it.

It's quite possible I need to get out more.

Why do so many things occur at my kitchen sink? I was washing up the tea things and it was dark outside, so the kitchen was reflected dully in the window. I was gazing absent-mindedly at/through the windowpanes when my attention was caught by what I thought was the movement of a shadow. It seemed like a shadow had crossed the scullery door, which was visible in the reflection. Except I was the only one in the kitchen - I did move from side to side to check whether it could have been me shifting about that caused an effect via the glass, but I couldn't replicate it.

It's quite possible I need to get out more.
Can I just say 'kudos' for having a scullery. Brilliant.
I like to think that you also have a vestibule, withdrawing room, dressing room and wine cellar as well.

Can I just say 'kudos' for having a scullery. Brilliant.
I like to think that you also have a vestibule, withdrawing room, dressing room and wine cellar as well.
Yeah, yeah. I've been mocked online before for use of the work 'scullery'. But that's what my mum always called it, and I just prefer it to 'utility room'. Less syllables, more economical use of language. :)
If you want to call our little porch the vestibule, you'e very welcome. Lots of modern houses have dressing rooms! And much as the In House GP would LOVE a wine cellar for his port, it's just the cupboard under the stairs for us.

In my families end-of-terrace Victorian house, we lost our scullery to 'modernisation'. The dining room became my gran's lair, the kitchen became the lounge (the front lounge was for Christmas and special occasions only), the scullery became the kitchen.

Yeah, yeah. I've been mocked online before for use of the work 'scullery'. But that's what my mum always called it, and I just prefer it to 'utility room'. Less syllables, more economical use of language. :)
If you want to call our little porch the vestibule, you'e very welcome. Lots of modern houses have dressing rooms! And much as the In House GP would LOVE a wine cellar for his port, it's just the cupboard under the stairs for us.
Hey, I wasn't mocking at all.
I genuinely love that you used the term.

Exactly. Typical Turpin.
It's almost as bad as the time @Lord Lucan told us he was considering washing his car, but hadn't decided for certain.
Three days before he got back to us.
It actually reminds me of the time a few years ago when Simon Pegg wrote he was hearing strange noises in his attic and was going to investigate and then didn't update for 3 months :rofl:

Do you remember the tv chef Antony Worrall Thompson? (Used to be on tv a lot at one time).
He used to get locked in the coal cellar for hours when he was a child.
I've heard the name but couldn't place a face..
He was educated at the King's School, Canterbury, where he sustained facial injuries while playing rugby. He had to wait until he was twenty-one years old before he could have plastic surgery to correct the disfigurement. As a child he suffered from rickets

Jesus.

I've heard the name but couldn't place a face..
He was educated at the King's School, Canterbury, where he sustained facial injuries while playing rugby. He had to wait until he was twenty-one years old before he could have plastic surgery to correct the disfigurement. As a child he suffered from rickets

Jesus.
I must have known that, but had forgotten.

I just remember years ago, him saying how his (step?) mother used to lock him up in the coal cellar for long periods of time for minor indiscretions as a child.

A bit difficult to explain, but does anyone have random days where things just seem hard work for some reason (even if you're not doing anything different from the day(s) before)?

A kind of wading through mud feeling.

It's not that you're ill or anything like that, but everything seems laborious, even simple tasks that you normally do without too much effort.

Back