• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

A bit difficult to explain, but does anyone have random days where things just seem hard work for some reason (even if you're not doing anything different from the day(s) before)?

A kind of wading through mud feeling.

It's not that you're ill or anything like that, but everything seems laborious, even simple tasks that you normally do without too much effort.
I suffer from that. Depression.

My wife can always tell when I'm starting the slide when I can't be bothered to give an opinion on anything. Seriously.
Can't be bothered to eat - even think of something to eat - can't settle on a film or programme to watch. I'll have a short list of things that need to do ... and can't be bothered to do any of it.
To me, everything is too much effort.

@Dick Turpin
For all that's holy- don't keep us in suspense- what did the 'engineer' say?!
Sorry Mr F. I've had very busy weekend and morning.

The engineer couldn’t explain why the dials were turning themselves on, but he tinkered around with them, and it hasn’t happened since.

He did say that he’s never encountered the problem in his 10 years as a gas engineer though.

I guess I’ll have to chalk it up as one of those things.

A bit difficult to explain, but does anyone have random days where things just seem hard work for some reason (even if you're not doing anything different from the day(s) before)?

It's not that you're ill or anything like that, but everything seems laborious, even simple tasks that you normally do without too much effort.
Bio rhythms?

https://www.biorhythm-calculator.net

Yup, like literally every task, no matter how small and inconsequential, seems to be more difficult and take twice as long some days. Those are the days I get baked and watch bird videos on Youtube. Fuck it, nothing needs to get done today :D

Yep all the time! Would be quicker to list the days when I don't feel like that!
I suffer from that. Depression.
Yep that's a big part of it but some of it is just general slowing of old age.
Can't be bothered to eat - even think of something to eat -
Tell me about it! Glad I'm not the only one. I have well stocked store cupboards but I find myself in the kitchen turning in circles auditioning in my mind various options but just can't be bloody bothered! I'm hungry but no appetite. I'll settle on something and then reject it as the pan hasn't been washed up yet and I just can't face it!!! Honestly how much trouble is it to wash a pan? But it just seems beyond me!!!
Yup, like literally every task, no matter how small and inconsequential, seems to be more difficult
Exactly! I've so much I should, ought, must be doing but just can't make a start.

Maybe hay fever? Tree pollen's picking up, in fact today the evergreen across the road spectacularly exploded in a cloud of pollen. This can lead to general lethargy without even being aware of the cause.

No permanent damage, I hope? How did you put it out? How did you light it in the first place? So many questions!
We were in the garden at night with tealights burning.

I washed my hands with the alcohol-based stuff and reached out to rearrange the candles, not realising that my hand was still wet.

It caught fire and I slapped the other against it so they were then both burning. Blue flames like Willo the Wisp.

I went 'Aarrgh! Me 'and's on fire! Oh no, now they both are!'

Flapped around for a bit then stuck both hands up my armpits and the flames were smothered.

We were in the garden at night with tealights burning.

I washed my hands with the alcohol-based stuff and reached out to rearrange the candles, not realising that my hand was still wet.

It caught fire and I slapped the other against it so they were then both burning. Blue flames like Willo the Wisp.

I went 'Aarrgh! Me 'and's on fire! Oh no, now they both are!'

Flapped around for a bit then stuck both hands up my armpits and the flames were smothered.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

First and foremost, I laugh because this can, this could, this probably will, happen to me.

In a related anecdote, my brother, a McDonalds employee when he was a teen, was washing the area around the deep fryers when his hand slipped and went straight in.

His hand was wet, which prevented him from getting burned!

Sometimes, the fuel will burn out before your reaction kicks in.
Death (or harm) from fire is a horrendous thing to think of. Of course.
But the panic created by the intense horror of being physically tortured by fire is terribly too good at stopping any rational thought.

First and foremost, I laugh because this can, this could, this probably will, happen to me.

In a related anecdote, my brother, a McDonalds employee when he was a teen, was washing the area around the deep fryers when his hand slipped and went straight in.

The Leidenfrost effect in action!
Narrow escape.

Sometimes, the fuel will burn out before your reaction kicks in.
Death (or harm) from fire is a horrendous thing to think of. Of course.
But the panic created by the intense horror of being physically tortured by fire is terribly too good at stopping any rational thought.
Seeing your hand on fire, shortly joined by the other, is pretty scary.

Why was he cleaning around hot fat fryers?

A week ago one of my friends fell over a lipend in her garage and had stitches in her knee, then it got infected but she was still driving.
Anyway yesterday morning I kept thinking that I should ring her but thought she was going to U3A.
Tried to ring later but had no answer. Today she rang and said she'd had a fall on uneven footpath after going to the chemist and ended at the doctor's, having stitches in her chin and an xray.

Reminded me of biorhythms, too.

However, the kind of days like this for me are days when many things don't go well, for others sometimes too, not just me. Equipment breaks down, internet connections are bad, traffic is bad and bus drivers seem to have all called in sick so that the buses are rare and very crowded. Then things I will need soon are not stocked in the store, and I won't have time to go back before I will need them. Then, a neighbor has a party till all hours or someone's car alarm keeps going off all night or there is drag racing up and down the nearby street or there is a sewer emergency that requires all night very loud noisy work.

This is balanced out by days when the equipment runs well, or there is an update that improves the speed of data loading, or I find money, or I find shoes that actually fit right and are on sale, or I meet a very nice cat or dog, and there is plenty of my favorite dinner item at the store and it is on sale, and then I only have to wait for a bus for about 2 minutes instead of half and hour, and that short bus wait happens multiple times in one day! Plus it is sunny and spring like outside and I have time to go for a walk. Magical.

A week ago one of my friends fell over a lipend in her garage and had stitches in her knee, then it got infected but she was still driving.
Anyway yesterday morning I kept thinking that I should ring her but thought she was going to U3A.
Tried to ring later but had no answer. Today she rang and said she'd had a fall on uneven footpath after going to the chemist and ended at the doctor's, having stitches in her chin and an xray.
Her balance is pretty bad. Maybe she needs to use a walking frame?

Does she have MS or has she been checked for it?

This is balanced out by days when the equipment runs well, or there is an update that improves the speed of data loading, or I find money, or I find shoes that actually fit right and are on sale, or I meet a very nice cat or dog, and there is plenty of my favorite dinner item at the store and it is on sale, and then I only have to wait for a bus for about 2 minutes instead of half and hour, and that short bus wait happens multiple times in one day! Plus it is sunny and spring like outside and I have time to go for a walk. Magical.
This is England. These things never happen.

I have this with running. One day I'll blaze off down the road for five or six miles and come home full of energy to clean the bath or somesuch. And yet on other days, with seemingly identical circumstances, I will struggle for three miles and come back with lead legs to sit on the sofa and noodle all day on the internet. I've asked several trainers why they think this might be and they've all just shrugged and given various versions of 'dunno'.

I have this with running. One day I'll blaze off down the road for five or six miles and come home full of energy to clean the bath or somesuch. And yet on other days, with seemingly identical circumstances, I will struggle for three miles and come back with lead legs to sit on the sofa and noodle all day on the internet. I've asked several trainers why they think this might be and they've all just shrugged and given various versions of 'dunno'.
I hadn't thought of it until you just said, but I remember this too when I used to run.

I could understand it more now though as years of living like Serge Gainsbourg takes its toll, but back then I was hardly ever ill.

I suppose it could all be down to something as simple as a bad night's sleep or a number of similar factors.

When it happens to me, I also become more 'unaware' of people and things too, if that makes sense. A sort of hazyness. ?

I'm gonna take a guess at 'oxygen levels in the blood'.
You might try doing deep breathing exercises before going off for a jog.

When it happens to me, I also become more 'unaware' of people and things too, if that makes sense. A sort of hazyness. ?
I feel like I'm in a fog and can't do much other than work on autopilot when my brain is like this. My eyes, and mind, can't really physically focus.

Yep I have that fairly often. Thank goodness that I have been working in the same home for 10 years now and can function with this minimal awareness. Not function well, mind you, but everyone is safe.

I know the guys I support can tell when I am in this state. Coworkers definitely know.

I'm gonna take a guess at 'oxygen levels in the blood'.
You might try doing deep breathing exercises before going off for a jog.
I do exactly the same level of activity every day though. Everything is the same. Usually even sleep levels. What could cause oxygen levels to be lower on some days than others?

Do you take vitamins? If not, maybe variations in your food lead to lower functioning. Of maybe you're not drinking enough water those days.

a) Biorhythms
b) Diet
c) You live in Mordor Yorkshire

maximus otter

Back