• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's a good picture, isn't it? The way there is an apparent depression in the grass as well of the streak of light...

Cool.

Very illustrative of the sort of thing that can happen without any deliberate attempt to mislead, which is why I get a bad feeling when people start shouting fraud and deliberate manipulation whenever an apparently strange picture is presented. It doesn't need to be anything deliberate at all.

Cochise said:
It's a good picture, isn't it? The way there is an apparent depression in the grass as well of the streak of light...
I think the 'depression' could be the shadow of a streetlight, or something similar. It's parallel to the shadow of the front of the bus (which I mostly cropped out of this image - a little remains at the bottom edge).

Just goes to show, things are not always what they seem! 8)

A darning needle

I had a real insight (so to speak) into misperceptions this weekend.

I was sitting at my knitting machine and was in need of a darning needle. My current darning needle is a goldish one (like these: http://jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/productImages/6557Large.jpg).

I saw the needle, gleaming, on the rug in front of my feet; but, when I reached for it, no needle! Yet I had seen it, I knew I had.

I was called away, then, to family business, and didn't return to knitting for several hours. Since I still needed a darning needle, I said the Saint Anthony prayer and immediately turned to the knitting machine where the needle was sitting on a side shelf in plain view (not on the rug).

What I think happened is that as I was using the knitting machine, which requires moving one's body from side-to-side, I caught a glimpse of the needle on the shelf where I later found it, but some form of persistence of vision made me aware of the needle as I looked down at the rug.

That's my theory, anyway.

How many Fortean moments could be explained by persistence of vision, I wonder?
;)

This week I've had a filthy cold and a bad throat, which has led to some odd misperceptions.

Out walking, I thought I could hear faint sounds of animals, or perhaps of children crying, and one time of men talking quietly. Eventually I realised that this was in fact my wheezing breath!! (Not helped by the fact that I have only one good ear, so I can't judge directions.)

Later, I thought I heard the faint sound of the foghorn from the lighthouse - but it wasn't foggy! But it was just me wheezing again! :(

The last few days I've heard a single clack of my letterbox while upstairs, and assumed it was just an annoying leaflet man until I got downstairs and discovered that there was no leaflet.

Not sure at this stage whether it's a misperception and something else makes a very similar sound, if someone's pranking me or if I'm just hallucinating.

Here is a recent mispeception I had. For a few moments, it was utterly baffling.

Taking a routine glance out of the rear windows as I was pulling the curtains, I saw a scene of primal creation going on in a neighbour's window. Not that kind of creation! A dog was being created. The process was nothing to do with wombs and things: this was matter organizing itself from chaos. Time after time the dog's face emerged lacking its body then it was plunged back into the whirlpool of the prima materia. Even as I watched it, the nearest thing I could imagine to it was a dog caught in a washing-machine.

I am not usually given to spying in Rear Window fashion but the old opera-glasses had to be brought into play. Eventually the image resolved itself. Someone, mainly out of sight, on a bed that was higher than expected, was playing with a terrier, who was ducking and diving between and behind their legs covered by a sheet.

It was all a bit disappointing. I rather liked the notion that a neighbour was creating life-forms out of chaos. Even if they were just terriers. :(

From a comment on a blog I follow:

Spume said...
I once had a very strange experience in Hunstanton. Had driven east for hours, (heading for Walsingham, as it goes) and arrived in the late afternoon. I had a stroll, an ice-cream, and then watched the sunset into the sea. At this point, I became gripped with horror. The sun is setting in the west... apparently into the sea. But I'm on the east coast. For a few seconds, I could think of no explanation other than this must be the Apocalypse, and that the sun was running backwards. A look at the map calmed me down, and I resolved never to smoke Nepalese Temple Balls while driving ever again. But I was hugely freaked for a few moments.

Source: http://particulations.blogspot.com/2011/12/carrstone-affect.html
Author: http://www.ianmarchant.com/spumeblog/index.html

'Snake' found in Kingswells loft turned out to be draught excluder

A woman called in the Scottish SPCA after finding what she thought was a 5ft snake in her loft - but it turned out to be a lookalike draught excluder.
Animal rescue officer Karen Hogg arrived at the rented home in Kingswells, near Aberdeen, to find the lady "very distressed".
It turned out to be a large green and black snake-shaped draught excluder with a red felt tongue.

Officer Hogg said: "The poor lady was still very shaken."
She added: "We've rescued hundreds of snakes from properties in all sorts of unusual circumstances, so we had no reason to believe this might not be the real thing.
"I'd brought gloves and a pillow case to enable us to handle and contain the snake safely, but as soon as we spotted it we realised the equipment wouldn't be necessary.
"This call-out really made us smile and given that we deal with cruelty and neglect day in day out, it was refreshing to go to a job where the 'animal' was completely unharmed."

The draught excluder - named Sid - is now at the Scottish SPCA's Aberdeen Animal Rescue and Rehoming Centre. 8)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-17596214

Riding a bus today, I noticed a woman sat ahead of me reading a paper called Nature Times. I'd never heard of it before, but as there are so many publications about nowadays that's hardly surprising.

But as she turned the pages, I noticed very few of the headlines seemed to be about nature. Eventually she turned back to the front page, and I saw the paper was actually called the Mature Times - it's aimed at the over-60s! :oops:

rynner2 said:
Riding a bus today, I noticed a woman sat ahead of me reading a paper called Nature Times. I'd never heard of it before, but as there are so many publications about nowadays that's hardly surprising.

But as she turned the pages, I noticed very few of the headlines seemed to be about nature. Eventually she turned back to the front page, and I saw the paper was actually called the Mature Times - it's aimed at the over-60s! :oops:

Could have been worse - could have been Naturist Times.

Just now I turned my head and saw brilliant white lights beaming down into my window (the curtains are open), and I wondered if I was about to have a close encounter of the third kind.

But looking from another window I saw the lights were on an Ambulance parked outside. (So presumably one of our aged residents is having an experience of a medical kind. :( ) But I've never seen external lights like that on an ambulance before.

Earlier today I walked past Lloyds Bank. There was a poster in the window showing a cartoon character in a jet pack, whizzing up into the sky. The text seemed to say something like Reach Your Gods Quicker, which I thought was odd, so I looked more carefully - it actually said Reach your Goals quicker! :roll:

Lloyds is right next to the Methodist church, and they usually have religious posters up in a Notice board facing the bank, so perhaps that knowledge influenced my perception! 8)

The past few days I've been working alone in a rather secluded part of my works building. Several times I've heard my name being called in a high piched voice, which has,understandably made me jump. I've been hoping it would build into a nice unexplainable event. However, today I was walking along, doing my job when I hear it again and I have a moment of realisation, it's part of the floor making a squeak when I step on a cartain part of it. :( :oops:

cherrybomb said:
The past few days I've been working alone in a rather secluded part of my works building. Several times I've heard my name being called in a high piched voice, which has,understandably made me jump. I've been hoping it would build into a nice unexplainable event. However, today I was walking along, doing my job when I hear it again and I have a moment of realisation, it's part of the floor making a squeak when I step on a cartain part of it. :( :oops:

Excellent! And who taught the floor to say that, I wonder? :shock:

Cochise said:
cherrybomb said:

Excellent! And who taught the floor to say that, I wonder? :shock:
:lol:

Well, i must need a hearing test, because yesterday early evening I was home alone in an upstairs room when I heard a male, almost electronic voice say over & over "The beat". I thought it must be some music coming from somewhere but there was no other sound. I searched the room for a toy or something that might be running out of battery power and playing up. Nope. It went on and on for about 10 or so minutes, then I yawned and my ear "popped" and I realised it was a tiny bird sat in the tree outside the window singing! The pitch was such that all i could hear was the deeper part of its song :oops: Once I could hear it all it did sound lovely :lol:

In a way this is the opposite of a misperception, but I couldn't think where else to post it, even though I'm sure something similar was mentioned somewhere here quite recently...

I've mentioned my kitchen is being re-done, which has meant a lot of stuff has been moved about, but now it's all finished apart from new electric sockets.

This evening I wanted a spoon, and since I rarely put things away I went straight to the cutlery strainer on the sink to grab one from there. But the strainer wasn't there. A workman had been finishing the grouting there this morning, so he must have moved it. So I looked all round the room, but couldn't see it, even though it is a bright yellow plastic object! Then I looked in all my new cupboards and drawers - nothing. I moved chairs and looked underneath - nothing. Then I looked in all the cupboards and drawers again - still nothing. The workman's name was accumulating some not very nice adjectives... Finally I gave up, and managed to find one spoon in the cutlery drawer.

And then I saw the yellow strainer, sitting on top of the fridge. It had been there all the time, because then I remembered seeing it there earlier on a couple of occassions. But when I wanted it, my eyes couldn't see it, nor could my memory tell me where it was! :shock:

This was perhaps a MISS perception! ;)

This evening I went to the communal lounge to watch MotD on the big TV there. I put my mug of cider down on the cushion of the sofa next to where I would sit, and went to turn the TV power on.

When I turned back to the sofa, the cushions were wet! OMG, my cider had spilled!

But my mug has a very wide base, and so is very stable (I've parked it there many times before), and the level of cider had not gone down.

Then I thought the spillage was due to someone else, because I'd watched TV earlier in the afternoon but I had not turned the TV power off afterwards.

So I checked the level of dampness - and it didn't feel damp at all!

In fact the 'damp patch' was just a shadow from the room lighting - earlier in the day when I was there it was still daylight! But it was a very convincing illusion, for a short while.

Got up in the night to use the bathroom, and as I sat there, I saw what looked like a solid white mist directly in front of me. In my groggy state, I actually reached my hand out to see if someone was standing there in the dark.

We have a lot of trees, so we get these little "spotlights" of light hitting the house or yard when the sun or moon is in the right spot. One of those little spotlights was reflecting off one section of the wall tiles and tub to create a vague misty lamp-light effect in an otherwise completely dark room.

I had to be there at just the right moment to see it. It was an interesting effect.

A swimming pool is evacuated after an artificial leg is mistaken for a paedophile
By Tim Stanley
Last updated: December 16th, 2013

Well, the year ends on a high with this story. This from The Metro:

Artificial leg prompts ‘paedophile panic’ at swimming pool and evacuation of children

An entire class of primary school children was evacuated from a swimming pool – because a prosthetic leg sticking out from underneath a cubicle was thought to be a paedophile.
The alarm was raised when staff noticed the foot poking out as the eight- and nine-year-olds got changed following a swimming lesson.

Teachers immediately took the children out of Larkfield Leisure Centre in Aylesford, Kent, but were stunned to discover that the foot was actually part of a prosthetic leg.
It's as if The Day Today had come true. I can't wait to read about the paedophile who was mistaken for a prosthetic leg.

Merry Christmas Britain. May you never stop being supremely weird.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timst ... aedophile/

In the early 1960's my family spent a week at a 'family camp' event hosted by a YMCA camp facility in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. There were multiple families participating, with circa a dozen pre-teen children. We were housed in rustic cabin bunk-houses on forested slopes surrounding the camp's central area (mess hall, pool, etc.). Forest trails led to each of the cabins. At night the trails were sparsely / spottily lit by electric lamps hung on trees.

As the week went on we got into the habit of all us kids doing something on our own after dinner, while the adults lounged at the mess hall. One evening we kids gathered in my family's cabin and spent a couple of hours telling scary stories (The Hook, ghosts, etc., etc.). It had become dark with forest sounds outside, and some of the younger kids wanted to hike down to the mess hall to see their parents.

We set off down the trail as a group. Suddenly, one of the younger children pulled up and gasped. I looked down the trail to see a large rippling / undulating white blob floating about a meter above the trail and moving toward us. We all shrieked and ran willy-nilly uphill to the cabin in a blind panic. At the cabin's threshold I launched myself into a dive across the plank floor, landed hard, and rolled under one of the corner bunks in one continuous motion - easily the most gymnastic maneuver of my life to that point.

As we all lay cowering and whimpering heavy footsteps came onto the cabin's front porch and trudged to the front screen door. The screen door creaked open ... The youngest kids began blubbering ... My heart seemed to have stopped ... :shock:

... And then I heard the voice of my quite rotund father ask, "What the heck are you kids doing?!?"

He was wearing a t-shirt with dark pants, and his jelly-belly had provided the undulation mechanism. In the half-darkness and faint overhead illumination on the trail it made for a very convincing flying ghost.

Of course, we'd primed ourselves with the scary stories, and little convincing was required ... :twisted:

Last edited:
ramonmercado said:
Wonderful! That deserves to be written up into a dhort story.

A story about dhorts?

I can't wait to read about the paedophile who was mistaken for a prosthetic leg.

The best gag in the comments section is how if it had been in the pool, it might have been mistaken for a torpedophile. :lol:

Mythopoeika said:
ramonmercado said:
Wonderful! That deserves to be written up into a dhort story.

A story about dhorts?

No ... A dhort story is a story with Fortean overtones that ends with a "D'oh!" moment.

:twisted:

When I was a teenager I often taped the charts and had a bundle of mix tapes containing tunes spliced at the beginning/end with the witterings of DJ's. I tried to edit this out as best I could but there was usually a bit of chat left between songs. On one tape there was a cut between songs that sounded just like my dad calling my name out. The first time I took my headphones out and yelled "what?" to inevitable silence. I soon realised what it was but then always forgot that it was on that tape and it gave me a creepy start every time I listened to it.

Back