• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Historically Inaccurate Movies

Would you say Humza Yousaf isn't a Scot? Wallace's family had been in Scotland for generations.
Well, the class system is a bit different now to then. The Normans as a French speaking ruling caste deliberately kept themselves separate from their serfs. Wallace's fight was the privileged versus the privileged - it had nothing really to do with Scotland or England as nations.

As usual the ordinary people were conned into getting killed for the ambitions of the posh.

Well, the class system is a bit different now to then. The Normans as a French speaking ruling caste deliberately kept themselves separate from their serfs. Wallace's fight was the privileged versus the privileged - it had nothing really to to with Scotland or England as nations.

Wallace being the privileged.

And that other all-Tartan Scottish superhero Bonnie Prince Charlie was born in Rome and spoke more fluent French than English (and not a word of Scottish Gaelic).

The 1948 movie version featured a rather miscast David Niven, who apparently loathed every minute of the protracted filming, which included three changes of director and hastily re-written scripts. In desperation Niven cabled the producer Samuel Goldwyn to ask "I have now worked every day for five months on this picture and nobody can tell me how story ends. Advise." He received no response.

The Guardian's acerbic review below:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2013/sep/12/bonnie-prince-charlie-reel-history

bonnie.png

Last edited:
Apocalypto follows that template to begin with. But it becomes something very different, and bonkers, while probably being inaccurate in all kinds of ways that I'm not knowledgeable enough to notice. The ending lingers with me to this day, and justifies the title.
Apocalypto was inaccurate in that it mixed various time periods together for dramatic effect (a bit like Braveheart). At the height of the Maya cities, there would have been no room for jungle tribes as depicted in the film, everyone was co-opted into a feudal-type system within a tangle of shifting alliances. The smaller villages would be beholden to the nearest city, and that city to a larger city, in a web of alliance and intrigue - although the Maya are often described as a rainforest civilization that is not really true, since the forests were cut down, the wood used, and crops planted, the same as with most other civilizations. I haven't seen Apocalypto for a long time but, IIRC, the major Maya city depicted appeared to be of a type from an earlier period than when the Spanish appeared off the coast. There were other inaccuracies, but I haven't seen it for so long that I don't recall.

Apocalypto was inaccurate in that it mixed various time periods together for dramatic effect (a bit like Braveheart). At the height of the Maya cities, there would have been no room for jungle tribes as depicted in the film, everyone was co-opted into a feudal-type system within a tangle of shifting alliances. The smaller villages would be beholden to the nearest city, and that city to a larger city, in a web of alliance and intrigue - although the Maya are often described as a rainforest civilization that is not really true, since the forests were cut down, the wood used, and crops planted, the same as with most other civilizations. I haven't seen Apocalypto for a long time but, IIRC, the major Maya city depicted appeared to be of a type from an earlier period than when the Spanish appeared off the coast. There were other inaccuracies, but I haven't seen it for so long that I don't recall.
I still found it to be an excellent film.
I'm not so much the Mel Gibson fan these days because of his attitudes, but I do think he did a good job on that film.

I still found it to be an excellent film.
I'm not so much the Mel Gibson fan these days because of his attitudes, but I do think he did a good job on that film.
The great civilizations of the Americas are very much under-represented in film - it was good to see an ancient Maya city as a living city in the same way that films have depicted the cities of, for example, ancient Egypt, the Roman Empire and ancient Greece.

Seriously, what twit would cast 'quintessential English gent' David Niven as a legendary Scottish leader?!?!? It's as bad as that time when Genghis Khan was played by renowned Mongolian John Wayne.

I reckon Ken Russell’s Lisztomania starring Roger Daltrey as Franz Liszt has to be a strong contender for historical inaccuracy.

I saw this on its first release, or very soon after. The phallus stunt was typically provocative but you did not go to a Ken Russell movie for accuracy! All Valentino could manage was a pulsing erection in the pants. Maybe he had peaked.

Some of Ken's pictures got trimmed, though I don't think the notorious Rape-of-Christ nuntastic orgy, in The Devils, was ever expected to escape the scissors.

The one Ken Russell opus to be banned entirely for years was his 1970 television biopic of Richard Strauss, the Dance of the Seven Veils.

The estate of the composer made it impossible to screen the work, while they controlled the copyright in his works. Russell pilloried Strauss as an out-and-out Nazi; he made no moral stand against them and hoped to protect his considerable material interests, remaining in Germany and dancing to their tune, as the title suggests. I gather the film was shown again in 2020, though there has been no official home video or DVD. Scout around and a faded-to-magenta ghost of the picture can occasionally be sighted online. :litg:

Last edited:
Christian Slater playing Winston Churchill was historically inaccurate but it was supposed to be because it was supposed to be a comedy if that counts?

Last edited:
Then I think Young Einstein might have it beat.

The recent Queen film was surprisingly inaccurate.

Almost as bad as casting a Frenchman as an immortal Scotsman with Sean Connery as his Spanish mentor who is really an ancient egyptian.

At least there can be only one...

Then I think Young Einstein might have it beat.

The recent Queen film was surprisingly inaccurate.
Bohemian Rhapsody was almost 100% fiction. With that being said, I have no doubt Freddie would've loved it. There were tons of inaccuracies, but the biggest one for me was that they portrayed the LIveAid performance as a sort of swan song after the AIDS diagnosis. Freddie didn't know he had HIV until years after Live Aid. Hell, I don't think many people knew about AIDS when Live Aid happened. Also remember an absurd side plot where Freddie was being led to leave Queen for a solo career. In reality, Brian, Roger and Freddie planned solo projects during that time.

...the 2016 Lost City of Z movie.
Nothing quite as egregious as Braveheart, but it does have its share of anachronisms and other goofs:
Set in 1906, there is an early shot of a steam locomotive in British Rail green with the British Rail emblem on its tender. This wasn't introduced until 1935.
This piqued my interest a bit. Apparently the loco in this film was a green Black Five, a design that was introduced in 1935 but painted black. (The clue is in the name).

There were three Black Fives painted in various shades of green in 1948, however, and displayed at Marylebone, presumably to let the public choose the new British Rail Livery. The Great Western colour scheme eventually won, although no more Black Fives were ever painted green until after preservation. A couple of months ago I was on the footplate of a (black) Black Five at Shildon, a very interesting experience.

Much as I like Sam Peckinpah's westerns, the casting of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid always jars with me due to the age of the actors.
21-year-old Billy the Kid played by 36-year-old Krist Kristofferson.
31-year-old Pat Garrett played by 45-year-old James Coburn.
and, among others 33-year-old, Pete Maxwell, owner of the house where Billy was killed, played by Paul Fix who was 72.
Although he wasn't in this movie, rancher John Tunstall who took the kid under his wing is usually played by older actors such as Terrence Stamp (50) in Young Guns. Tunstall was 25 at the time of his death.

May I recommend the following?

View attachment 76260...

I have a copy of that book - a great read, if I remember correctly. In fact, I might have to dust it off right now. You can get still get second hand copies really quite cheap.

George MacDonald Fraser wrote something along similar lines: The Hollywood History of the World.

Great romp. I once owned a copy of that too, but I'm not sure I've seen it for years.

George MacDonald Fraser wrote something along similar lines: The Hollywood History of the World.

Great romp. I once owned a copy of that too, but I'm not sure I've seen it for years.
Didn't know that one, I must get hold of a copy. Liked his Flashman novels and "The Steel Bonnets" history of the border reivers

Back