• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mothman & Popular Culture: Books, Films, TV, Merchandising, etc.

Stuff not in the mothman movie

Having not yet read John Keel's book, this stuff is new to me and maybe to some of you too. I found it here and was posted by Loren Coleman himself:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/official_mothman_site/message/126

It originally came from here:
http://indyspace.com/main.cfm/include/detail/storyid/174453.html

"One character who figured big in the 'actual' event is strangely missing from the film: the Mothman itself. It is seen only once in silhouette to Gere's wife, causing her to crash her car into a tree. After that, it appears only in the victims' drawings and char marks on the side of buildings. Who was this Mothman anyway?

"The Mothman," who got its name from an AP wire reporter in 1966 when Batman comics were in vogue, has its roots in Native American lore. Some residents cite the Curse of Chief Cornstalk, placed on the town by the dying chief after white men tricked him into an ambush. One of the first sightings, by an anonymous woman, occurred near the Chief Cornstalk hunting grounds. Native Americans told stories of "big heads" or "flying heads" that resembled later reports of the Mothman. The screenwriter for Mothman, however, chose to skip over this longer history and unfold the narrative in the present day...

...Sightings of the creature continued, as well as reports of mutilated dogs and "Oriental-looking dwarves" driving black limos and Cadillacs (the scriptwriter left out the dwarves). While every town will have it share of imaginative drunks and high teenagers, the paranormal activity was widespread enough to be experienced by town officials, church-goers, and sober, hard-working people...

...The movie focuses more on Gere's eyebrows than the life of the townspeople, so it misses the spiritual and mystical tradition in which West Virginia is steeped. Chuck Kinder, who is working on a history of the area and whose family grew up there, says "These people are great story tellers. It's like the magical realism. The world of the dead is parallel to the living and when they talk about the dead they are alive among us." He told me that the state is considered to be a 'window area' or an area of strange psychic energy.

In a place where ghosts and UFOs are discussed like a trip to the grocery store, a seven-foot-tall winged man may not be that out of the ordinary. According to Kinder, "It was just a state of mind and when these things started happening it was just another weird thing happening in West Virginia." So it didn't so much induce post-traumatic stress as it did induce partying. "I think [the residents] were pretty excited. On one hand they were being terrorized. But they would go out in caravans to watch the sky." Excitement can be contagious and, mixed with a little mischief, can become an epidemic.

The Smoking I-Bar

To some, especially those looking for cinematic narratives, the sightings led to the collapse of the bridge. There were reports of Mothmen clustered around the piers of the bridge and even one report of one of those "oriental-looking dwarves" speeding away in a stretch limo. "A lot of people after an event go back and try to connect the dots," says Coleman, who received calls about a giant monkey in New Hampshire predicting the September 11 terrorist attacks. "You could say these are banshees predicting disasters but I think that is baloney. I think there was a lot of stretching going on."

Inspectors for the National Highway Safety Board, responding to demands that the collapse be investigated, reconstructed the 38 year-old bridge. They were able to identify the cause as metal fatigue in I-bar 13, a detail the film leaves out despite the creepy numerology of I-bar 13 popping 13 months after the first sighting of the mothman.

According to a reporter at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette who interviewed people in the area in the late 1960's about the incident, "No one said anything about Mothmen or dwarves or any of that." He said that the people in the town were greatly affected by the loss. "It was a terrible tragedy, just terrible," and one that this recent film may cause them to remember. Coleman said that on a recent visit he noticed a dichotomy between people who wanted to forget the incident and others who wanted to use it to boost the local economy. "The Chamber of Commerce desperately wants to save a dying town. Hollywood is going to make millions and they are wondering how they are going to cash in on the Mothman."

With 17 % of its population living in poverty, Mason County can used any extra revenue tourism could provide, but will "Mothman Mania" really catch on and, if it does, what effect will it have on the town? "It is still a very isolated town," Coleman says. "It is not exactly ready for what is going to happen. Mothman Mania is going to sweep it like Roswell. They are just beginning to understand. They just got their first shipment of 1,000 Mothman Beanie Babies from China."

Elizabeth Hoover B '02 is suffering from muscle fatigue in I-bar 13.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loren Coleman clarifications: The beanies are made in America, having been shipped from Pennsylvania, not China! And news sent to me of NH's giant monkey was never presented as predicting Sept. 11th. Oh well. - http://www.lorencoleman.com"

Why did'nt the mothman just say, "hey,dudes, fix the bridge or its' going to fall down." just a thought

I saw that it's 6th in the US boxoffice figures, thats pretty good.

Mothman movie

I don't think films should be made about Mothman, Bigfoot or anything. I'd prefer documentaries anyday. I realise that the general public would rather go see a film, but the truth is far stranger than fiction...the Keel book is a classic that should never be a film. The same can be said with crap like Men In Black.

Apparently, the film company commissioned a documentary for TV too.

-J

The Mothman Prophecies

I just saw a trailer for The Mothman Prophecies at the cinema last night. It didn't appear to be anything remotely like Keel's book.

Has anyone seen the film yet (maybe our US Forteans), or know anything more about it?

"Those hoping to see the Men In Black rehabilitated after their last big screen outing are in for a major disappointment (so no jelly fondling in the cafe), nor is the strangely odorous Princess Moon Owl anywhere to be seen. In fact much of the book's humour and more surreal aspects have been removed, as if to remind us that this is a grown-up film. Or perhaps real life is just too strange for Hollywood?"

-Mark Pilkington.

No Men In Blacks? Why bother then? And who the heck is Princess Moon Owl?

-J

Princess Moon Owl - a barking mad contactee who made odd predictions and showed alarming symptoms of demonic possession. There may or may not have been several persons operating under this name at any given time. During a radio interview she once began to give off an overpowering smell of hydrogen sulphide...

And as for whether Hollywood (or, indeed, anyone) should make 'fictional' movies on these themes - we weren't there. We don't know what happened. How can we tell it any other way? There's far too much emphasis on so-called realism and objectivity in Western cinema.

We've been emboidering 'true' stories for thousands of years. It hasn't hurt us so far.

Actually, the bit I missed most from the film was the whole 'Mount Misery' business, a complex and generally nonsensical affair, involving a time travelling librarian, black caddys full of twinkling lights and the politely menacing Mr Apol (like Indrid Cold, but more smug). But that's just me.

Looking at the recent crop of war films, and Hollywood fare in general, I'm not sure "too much" emphasis on realism and objectivity is a problem. Let's face it, most Hollywood films are about as objective as the BBC commentary during the Olympic Curling. Ie, not at all.

I appreciate the Mothman film is entertainment, but if you're going to jizz around with the story too much, why bother to base it on true events? Make it an original piece. It's just offensive and patronizing for those who were involved at the time, to twist the truth in order to make it more acceptable for public consumption. (Like Titantic, and a hundred American war films that make-believe they won WW2 single-handed.)

I have not seen the movie or read the book yet but, as far as I can tell, the film is loosely based on a book that is itself loosely based on apparently real life experiences of apparently real life events.

The most important thing, I think, is to get the general feel right. Does it?

"The film's strength lies in it's glimpse of an unsettling and genuinely fortean world beyond ours." -Mark Pilkington.

"The film does a creditable job of exploring the slippery, dream-like world of people (including investigators) who 'get too close'." -Bob Rickard.

Wasn't there somebody else trying to make a more literal version?

-J

The problem with our approach to cinema (and narrative in general) is that we automatically expect to see literal representations of reality. Therefore, when US film makers release 'Pearl Harbour', we see how America won the war (the one which started in 1942, inspired by some skirmishes in Europeshire). It's all fiction, after all.

Personally, I'd have loved to see a Powell/Pressburger Mothman. Just imagine. It'd be like 'Tales of Hoffman', but with dinosaurs.

Hoffmann Schloffmann, what we want is a movie about babes with
glue in their hair!

Oh, I see we got one in 1944, thanks to the same P & P! :)

They don't come much more Fortean than A Canterbury Tale!

All right, if you insist, I will go and see this motheaten Gere-fest.
Does the Hamster get a walk-in part? :p

I saw Mothman last nite (3/3/02) and was fully disappointed. Admittedly, I have not read the book, but have read with interest the articles in FT, and expected a mysterious Fortean yarn, but got a boring 'thriller' which revolved around strange phone calls. Not a grey in sight, and not much action from Mothy himself. Could have been done better, but will reserve my final judgement 'til i've read the book

Im with rustyfunk on this one, saw the film on Friday and was disappointed that it didnt delve deeper into the world of forteana, but then I suppose it was a big budget/big name Hollywood movie and ultimately made for mainstream movie-goers.

I must admit though that some parts of it did have me hiding behind my jacket in the cinema, but then I'm a pussy and scare easily, not a great personal trait when your main interest is the unexplained and generally things that go bump in the night ...!

The Mothman Prophecies ... a disappointing 3 :(

I haven't seen it yet, but I saw the director yapping away about what his view of the movie was, and he felt that rather than being a movie about a cryptid animal, or monster, he wanted to make a movie about the psychology of fear and belief. If I DO go to see it, it will be with that firmly in mind.

Thats a fair point . The focus is most def. on the psychology of fear and belief, but not done very well (or very interestingly). Also to make a films focus so narrow, within a storyline that could have been expanded so much, seems to be a bit of a waste. Wait for the Video release, you'll thank me in the long run.

Saw it Saturday. S'alright I spose. Could've been miles better. Where were the oriental dwarves?

One excellent part ( I won't spoil it ) was the telephone conversation with Indrid Cold. I liked that a lot.

bigsmegger said:
One excellent part ( I won't spoil it ) was the telephone conversation with Indrid Cold. I liked that a lot.

That was the part that had me hiding behind my jacket! :eek!!!!:

Keeling Over

Saw it, liked it a good deal, and you're right, it's not much like the book at all. John Keel saw it and said it did well at capturing the eerie feel he experienced, which is damning faint praise, hm? However, it was aimed at the psychological thriller crowd who wanted a touch of epistimology, if not eschatology, tossed in, so in all it did well, and maybe, just maybe the book will sell well enough to encourage a publisher to bring Keel's other works back into a popular, affordable edition.

Worth seeing as a diversion, and the book's well worth reading.

Saw it today, and was most disapponted with the lack of MIB's, but I thought the recurring "red eye" imagery was quite effective. I was hiding behind my hands at some points too. (I'm totally with Sober Counsel in my wussieness though)
Didn't like the end. Always hate Hollywood portrayals of human tragedies. People lost loved ones, but in the film, all we get to do is breath a sigh of relief that Richard Gere survived, and fictional life is far more valuable than real life. *mutter*
Gere has quite scary eyes too though.
Did inspire me to read the book before I saw the film, so I suppose it's done a service if it's introduced Mothman to a new generation of Forteans.

How Fiction Works, A Digression

Focusing on one character is fiction writing, has nought to do with minimizing the others lost or whatnot -- in fact, humanizing the disaster by making us care about one among them is a way of making it real to us, otherwise, as Stalin said, "One death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic".

Try not to be so politically correct when experiencing your next fiction delivery system.

And yes, this was a fiction, perhaps based on and rooted in reality, but fictionalized, certainly.

As an amateur writer, and an avid reader, of fiction, I am very familiar with techniques for making us care. Focusing on one character to allow the audience to relate to the tragedy in human terms is not something I disapprove of.

I just believe that the Hollywood system cheapens life far more than any fiction should reasonably do. Inevitably, it is the attractive white male who survives (perhaps manfully dragging his attractive female to safety, as in this case), and we are not invited to care about anyone else in more than a token sentimental way.
When it is a genuine tragedy that is being portrayed, and the audience comes away thinking, "Well, thank God Richard Gere and the cute girl were alright, let's go and get popcorn." then I think there's something wrong there.

If that's politically correct, then I'm sorry, but it's my opinion.

Slytherin said:
Inevitably, it is the attractive white male who survives (perhaps manfully dragging his attractive female to safety, as in this case), and we are not invited to care about anyone else in more than a token sentimental way.
When it is a genuine tragedy that is being portrayed, and the audience comes away thinking, "Well, thank God Richard Gere and the cute girl were alright, let's go and get popcorn." then I think there's something wrong there.

If that's politically correct, then I'm sorry, but it's my opinion.

Well, thing is, if ugly black women leads sold tickets, they'd put that in there, and if deeper messages sold tickets, they'd deepen the message, and so on. A movie is a light entertainment for an evening out, when no one wants to think -- the AUDIENCES have taught Hollywood that.

If this bothers you, just means you're not part of their main audience, and they don't respond to you much if at all.

Hollywood flat does not care what sells, as long as they can sell it, and they are hyper aware of audience reactions and response. They cater, they pander, they grovel at focus groups and so on.

What you're really reacting against, and I do agree with you to a degree by the way, is mob rule, the fact that majority rules and this leads inevitably to a coarsening, a dumbing-down, and a lowest-common-denominator presentations. Hollywood is post-literate and proudly founded on illiteracy, remember.

Hollywood aims no higher than the mass audience. So looking for anything more than mass appeal from them is rather silly, and yes, it's a politically correct stance used by many in order to find a brickbat to hurl at other social ills, usually the perrennials of poverty, greed, and the damned rich. LOL

On a brighter note, well-met, I'm a writer, too. Which means we ought perhaps write better screenplays, hm?

Nah, they'd never produce them.

(Besides, I write hardcopy, reactionary Luddite that I am.)

Guilty of Political Correctness... what will my mother say?

I agree with you entirely, Fraterlibre... but that doesn't mean I have to like it! :D Maybe I should just stop going to the cinema and spent more time organizing carboot sales for disadvantaged lesbians or something.

I've Never Kipled, Either

I'd ask how one gets a lesbian at a disadvantage, but it sounds too much like the set-up for a joke I'm not sure I'm old enough to hear...

Did anyone see SEARCH FOR MOTHMAN on Sci-Fi channel ?

After all the crappy hype for the film it was nice to see a decent documentary on the Mothman enigma. 60 mins, plenty of interviews and more realism than the bloody film.

I found out an interesting detail the other day. Apparently, the Glueman was to slash the girl's dresses with a razor. The UK censor went a funny colour at this point. However, he was quite acceptable to the idea of the Glueman, devoid as it is of any symbolism whatsoever. Ahem.

The slasher business is straight out of Fort, is it not?

Back