• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mothman (The Actual Incident(s): Point Pleasant, WV; 1966 / 1967)

http://www.americanmonsters.com/monster ... /index.php

This site is well-designed, but it has varying degrees of information on the various monsters - sometimes just a couple sentences describing them. Anyways, it mentions a suspicious amount of mothman-like entities, specifically:

Mothman (Duh)
Big Bird
Black Bird Of Chernobyl
Crimean War Monstrosities
Freiburg Shrieker
Man-Dragon
Owlman

I find the descriptions a little spooky in their similarity. I mean, lots of paranormal things have glowing red eyes, but how many of them fly around right before a disaster?

I also remember hearing somewhere that Mothman might be an angel - I don't remember where, maybe it was in the movie? Something about angels not neccessarily looking human, and showing up before disasters? In any case, it seems to be a worldwide phenomenon.

Whoo...spooky.

Last edited by a moderator:
This picture of Mothman is boss! It looks like the kind of thing Teruyoshi Kakano or some other Japanese monster creator might dream up.

Has there ever been mention that the mothman might be the devil in some form. Seems similar. Fallen angel? With the wings and all, but still so satanic.

Bannik said:
This picture of Mothman is boss! It looks like the kind of thing Teruyoshi Kakano or some other Japanese monster creator might dream up.

Doesn't resemble any of the descriptions given by witnesses tho'.

JerryB said:
Bannik said:

Doesn't resemble any of the descriptions given by witnesses tho'.

Yes it does! most witness drawings have little or no head to them, and the long tentacle things too.

Has there ever been mention that the mothman might be the devil in some form. Seems similar. Fallen angel? With the wings and all, but still so satanic.

That's what whoever I remember hearing talk about Mothman seemed to be getting at. That Mothman looked similar to an angel, and people usually get scared when angels are around. And Lucifer was one too. Interesting theory... .

We went to parkersburg west virginia (near mothman sightings)a couple of years ago just before the movie came out for a ghost walk. Everyone was psyched for the movie and I think they actually did a good job presenting it and I even became a Gere fan afterwards. Neither the movie nor Keel's book actually give a detailed history of all the reports. That's what i'd really like to read. The man who in the movie freezes to death actually just took off and left town. He had claimed to be in contact with the entities and gotten to visit their planet. He wrote a book about it called (I think) Visitors from Lanulos or Travels to Lanulos or some such. At one point i searched for it on resale book sites and they were asking 100's of $s for it. It's a cult classic. Can't believe everyone is on the angel kick...to me it seems so much like the sightings of bigfoot.

Human_84 said:
Yes it does! most witness drawings have little or no head to them, and the long tentacle things too.

Odd. The best book on the subject, Keel's 'The Mothman Prophecies', makes no mention of any tentacles. That drawing makes the entity look far too 'manga'. In fact the only thing it has basically correct is the fact there is no head and that it has a pair of wings. Everything else looks like a pretty bad superhero-style drawing.

Some reported entities are exotic enough without the need for some pretty poor artist to jazz them up in such a bad way.

LydZ said:
That's what whoever I remember hearing talk about Mothman seemed to be getting at. That Mothman looked similar to an angel, and people usually get scared when angels are around. And Lucifer was one too. Interesting theory... .

How many angels have no heads and red glowing eyes...? And, let's not forget, that winged angels are the result of artistic license more than anything else.

Well there are certainly lots of descriptions of wings on angels in the Bible. I'll look them out if anyone doesn't believe me. :)

I thought the cartoon was cool too Bannik. ;)

I didn't think there were that many references to winged angels in the Bible. In Isiah perhaps, if I recall my RE classes from many moons ago... ;)

Read Keels' book on the subject - alot of what it describes doesn't make sense either ;) But it would've made an interesting film IMHO.

Mothman Action!!!

JerryB wrote:
How many angels have no heads and red glowing eyes...? And, let's not forget, that winged angels are the result of artistic license more than anything else.

So you maintain that angels DON'T have wings even though they're apparently metioned in the Bible and for some reason glowing red eyes are even more preposterous? How many angels have you SEEN exactly? Remember, Lucifer was an angel, and he's evil! Red eyes get seen on demons, why not on the devil?

Angels

Introduction and Attention Getter:

Ask:"Do you believe in angels? Have you ever seen an Angel? A REAL angel? How can you tell if it is a real angel?"

Allow some discussion.

Say:"Today we are going to thoroughly investigate what God's Word says about angels, after all, He created all things and knows all there is to know about angels. Let's see what He will show us about these mysterious and fascinating creatures...."
Lead the class in prayer. Ask God to open the eyes of your understanding concerning His Word and His Will. Ask Him to bless the reading of His Word and to bind it to your hearts. Thank Him for the prescence of each pupil and thank Him for allowing you to teach these particular people.

Pass out the True of False sheet for Angels,click here for a printable copy of these questions, give time for them to answer all 8 questions.

Answers to True or False Questions

#1) Angels play harps around the throne of God.
We don't know. See Psalm 103:20,21 and Luke 1:19

#2) Angels have wings.
True, but varies. There are different types of angels, some have wings some don't. See Isaiah 6: 1-3, Ezekiel 10:3-5.

#3) Angels will take us to heaven when we die.
Again, we don't know, but see Luke 16:22, Lazarus going to the bosom of Abraham.

#4) God created evil angels also called demons.
False. God created a sinless world including His servants the angels. Some time later satan rebelled and some angels went with him. See 2 Peter 2:4,9

#5) The devil believes in God.
True. See 2 Corintians 11:14

#6) We might have met an angel in human form.
True. See Hebrews 13:2

#7) Angels know everything.
False. They are wise but they aren't all-knowing. See 2 Samuel 14:20, Mark 13:32

#8) Angels cannot die.
True. Luke 20:35-36

Some interesting Facts About Angels.....

Angels are not called "angels" every time they are mentioned in scripture.

Ezekiel 8:2

http://www.christianhomekeeper.com/angels.html :devil:

Re: Mothman Action!!!

LydZ said:
So you maintain that angels DON'T have wings even though they're apparently metioned in the Bible and for some reason glowing red eyes are even more preposterous? How many angels have you SEEN exactly? Remember, Lucifer was an angel, and he's evil! Red eyes get seen on demons, why not on the devil?

I was implying that the popular perception of winged angels (i.e. those with bird's wings) owe as much to artistic depiction than anything else. Yes, there are winged angels mentioned in the bible - but there are also descriptions where they don't have any woings at all.

I wasn't suggesting that red eyes were preposterous. Mothman's description does not match any description of a typical angel, AFAIK. I don't recall any descriptions of angels which depict such an entity as having no head, red glowing eyes, wings and the ability to squeak like a mouse.

Is it an established standard thing that demons have red eyes? If so, where does it say this? In the Bible? And if so, are you saying that Mothman is a demon instead of an angel?

Mothman.

Is there any connection between the Mothman and any of the local Native American Indian myths and prophecies?

I was under the impression that there was a tribal burial sight near to the original sightings.

There's a fair few recent sightings of Mothman on his 'official' website: Mothman Lives.

I particularily liked this one, although I suspect that Mothman was wearing a dark cloak, not a dark clock.

We go to the park to have a drink every once and a while but
this night was different. We pulled up to the park and started to get out of the truck. I was setting in the middle and my friend was getting out of the passengers side door. When he got out and I got out, I noticed the sound of a tennis ball bouncing on the tennis court. I looked and saw this figure bouncing a tennis ball. The figure was around 6 foot tall and was wearing a dark clock. It looked to me that he had some sort of pouch on his back.
Me and my friend who got out of the truck saw this figure and told the driver of the truck to look. He did and saw the same thing. In a flash we jumped back into the truck and headed down the road to figure out what we had saw. We got a few miles away and in the distance we saw coming at us a large bat like creature. It was several feet away from us but you could make out the red glowing eyes. It passed right in front of our windshield and vanished in the darkness.

I particularily liked this one, although I suspect that Mothman was wearing a dark cloak, not a dark clock.

Unless it was Flava Flav from Public Enemy:
FLO_0_td24enemy_512565_092.jpg

:lol:

Why would Mothman be playing tennis though? Of course he could have some time to kill between apparitions.

I've often wondered where one finds cloaks these days. I've been browsing in london for a good cloak, and let me tell you - I didn't see one for sale on the high street.

Clocks on the other hand (excuse the pun) were plentiful.

Maybe clock was the intended word?

;)

Yes. His last book was in '94 though (dunno about articles).

Back on topic (sort of!), I was sitting out in the garden the other night with two friends. We saw a bird flying about - the point is, that under the viewing conditions, it looked HUGE and far off. When we thought about it, it was clearly low flying, and the sodium lighting from the street lamps was illuminating it from underneath, making it glow orange.
But what we saw was a glowing, flapping, giant looking UFO.

hokum6 said:
Is John Keel still alive?

He's 78 I think. Acording to Jon Downes (who I just asked as he's sitting next to me and knows these things) Keel is a spiritualist these days and hasn't wrote anything, books or articles for years.

So did anything ever come of the Mothman stories in Wise County, Texas?
ConspiracyCafe is down (has been since 2005, according to the Wayback machine) and they were pretty much the only people actually looking into it. Still, the whole situation sounded too neat not to be interesting.
Has it just faded away as these things tend to?

Hey James,
I'm just getting around to reading the Mothman Prophecies myself and was very intrigued by two things -so far. The MIB who appear as dissheveled, unschooled, poorly dressed, odd ducks who walk around calling themselves Smith, Jones, Kelly and French who may not know how to use silverware.

The other is the overall concept of the flying man UFO phenomenon. I saw a "documentary" several years ago about UFOs where they showed some of the standard footage I've seen many times before but they had one very unusual segment about these flying people over Mexico. Watching what the people were seeing through their cam-corder was pretty amazing because I agree that they were seeing people flying in the sky. Now I know that video is easily doctored but something about this segment seemed very realistic to me.

Coupling this with what I'm reading in Mothman really makes me feel that the flying man/bird is some of the truly weird stuff. I mean, gray alienns with large eyes is so much a part of our mythology now that I off-hand discount any accounts as constructs of our imagination. But these encounters seem more off the map to me and largely ignored.

To Keel's point though, winged men and seraphim seem similar.

jouweleen said:
Hey James,
I'm just getting around to reading the Mothman Prophecies myself and was very intrigued by two things -so far. The MIB who appear as dissheveled, unschooled, poorly dressed, odd ducks who walk around calling themselves Smith, Jones, Kelly and French who may not know how to use silverware.

The other is the overall concept of the flying man UFO phenomenon. I saw a "documentary" several years ago about UFOs where they showed some of the standard footage I've seen many times before but they had one very unusual segment about these flying people over Mexico. Watching what the people were seeing through their cam-corder was pretty amazing because I agree that they were seeing people flying in the sky. Now I know that video is easily doctored but something about this segment seemed very realistic to me.

Coupling this with what I'm reading in Mothman really makes me feel that the flying man/bird is some of the truly weird stuff. I mean, gray alienns with large eyes is so much a part of our mythology now that I off-hand discount any accounts as constructs of our imagination. But these encounters seem more off the map to me and largely ignored.

To Keel's point though, winged men and seraphim seem similar.

You should read Keel's Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings, Operation Trojan Horse and Our Haunted Planet, and also Jenny Randles Men In Black. Lots more weirdness in those.

The "fruit" of the Mothman

Hello Again
If any old wise ones are reading this, I would like your opinion on my hypothesis regarding John Keel's book. John noted - about 3/4 of the way into the book, that he felt that the flashing light, followed by the paralysis and intense emotion, the ability to identify a "craft" and then some sort of being was some sort of common human experience and based upon our culture/mythology, we would interpret it as enlightenment, fairies, devils, angels etc. I thought this was a good point and agreed with his analysis - assuming the accounts are true.

The second part of his experience - right toward the end of the book, is what I would like comment on....Keel began to understand that the contactee's experiences had much to do with him. He would ask a question and a contactee would call with the answer. He became harrassed, especially with regard to his phone, he was receiving phone calls from people who pretended to be someone else, other's had received phone calls from him - though he didn't place the calls. His own admission is that the experiences were precognative, often only giving details of future events to make someone crazy - but not enough to allow them to act.

Keel stated that he was becoming paranoid and that other researchers were experiencing such negative effects that they were suicidal. The lives of the contactees of degenerated into mental illness and even those who felt enlightened by the experience, had their marriages end in divorce.

As I shared these concepts with a friend, who happens to be a ghost researcher, my judeo-Christian background kicked in and asked the question - what is the fruit of these events? Is it not destruction for those who experience them? Illness & malevolence for those involved - even on the fringes? Distraction and obession for the true believers? Could it be demonic?

Thoughts? BTW read through most of the post, but didn't get right through to the end. So if someone else already posed this question - my apologies.

Well - it could be. Or notions of demons could be derived from experiences like these which are essentially psychological, sensual, or otherwise subjective.

The more sense an explanation makes in the light of our cultural upbringing, the more suspect it is as a full true explanation. Which doesn't mean it has no value; just that it should not be accepted too quickly if what you're looking for is objective facts.

Hi Peni,
I totally agree. I interpret these events based on my culture and understanding of the world, similarly to the ways the contactees interpreted their experiences. Though I think myself open minded, I understand that in some respects I will never truly be. Is that why some people have these experinces and others don't?

Back