• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mysterious 60m Diameter Disc Discovered On Baltic Seabed

Soong said:
We have sonar and video equipment that could get a very good look at this, if only we had the means to get it to the area.

Who's we? Who's got Sonar equipment? Without a boat? So you need a boat? :) Right Who's got a boat? Common all you Forteans. Come on the Investigative Mystery Cruise...

Waylander28 said:
Who's we?

Alderney Marine Ltd, used to surveying in deep and treacherous waters. :)

We have colleagues who have a suitable boat in the Baltic, we just need all the in between bits! :)

Here's one I made earlier.

Chris' Panther Plus ROV by Mouldycod, on Flickr
Much earlier actually (easiest picture to grab), but I'm still working for Saab Seaeye.
We'd have no problems building something down there to take a proper look

shellac7 said:
We'd have no problems building something down there to take a proper look

I would be impressed if it can do 6 knots?

I bet the budget is a bit beyond us too. lol

The depth does not represent a problem.
surely youd need to know the longs and the lats or whatever you guys use ... im doubtful that alcoholic treasure hunting swedes who have found the thing from another planet are about to just hand that out

I knew we'd find this disk, sooner or later.
It's the dropship used to transfer human settlers from the mothership 250,000 years ago.
The Illuminati will be pleased - they will now be able to reassert themselves as our masters...

etc. :)

HenryFort said:
im doubtful that alcoholic treasure hunting swedes who have found the thing from another planet are about to just hand that out

They could be won over ;)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/3 ... 56150.html

Baltic Sea UFO Hunters Look To Identify Mystery Object

A mysterious cylindrical object is sitting 300 feet at the bottom of the Baltic Sea between Sweden and Finland, and nobody knows what it is -- yet.

Deep sea divers using remote-controlled cameras are heading to the site on Friday. They'll try to determine the exact identity of the object, which side-scan sonar first revealed in June 2011.

"My guess is that they won't find anything. They may just find a large roundish rock," well-known skeptic Benjamin Radford, deputy editor of Skeptical Inquirer magazine, told The Huffington Post.
"Side-scan sonar is not a photograph and it can create false echoes, so it's not crystal clear what exactly it is that you're recording," Radford said. "The object that we're talking about is basically flush with the ocean floor, and side-scan sonar is much less reliable for things like that."

In what's been compared to an episode of "The X-Files," Peter Lindberg, captain of the Ocean Explorer, and his co-researcher Dennis Asberg made global headlines last year when they presented sonar images of a nearly 200-foot-wide circular anomaly -- looking very much like the fictitious Millennium Falcon spacecraft from the "Star Wars" movies.

"We don't know whether it is a natural phenomenon or an object," Lindberg told Fox News.

Pretty big news that they're going back on Friday, considering how long this story has been kicking around. Agree!? :p

(edit: flipping bbcode tags!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good find there, Jon.
If that is what it is, it's still a very interesting historical discovery.

johncbdg1 said:
Some said it could be this Russian Ship 1847

Baltic Sea UFO - Russian Ship 1847
youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LIKg1ycvGU

The experimental circular coastal defense ships _Novgorod_ and _Vice-Admiral Popov_ spent their service lives (such as they were) in the Black Sea. Same for the similar oval imperial yacht _Livadiya_. All were scrapped or transferred for scrapping while located in the Black Sea port of Nikolayev.

In any case, the stated 60m diameter of the Baltic Sea object doesn't match any of these ships.

These 'Popovs' / 'popovka' ships were built during the 1870's, not the 1840's. The _Novgorod_ was commissioned in 1874, so I suspect the 1847 attribution is a simple typo.

Last edited:
Well now that the team has set off, there's only one thing that could turn this mystery object into a bigger sensation: a cover up. It seems that's exactly what's happening!!!!! The team has reported that US and Russian military are blocking off the area for training. Yeah right. I was born in the morning but not this morning. I'll post the article later on.[/i]

http://www.openminds.tv/military-exerci ... a-ufo-949/

‘Military exercises’ in area of Baltic Sea UFO
Jason McClellan | Jun 05, 2012

Mysterious object at the bottom of the Baltic Sea. (Ocean Explorer/Peter Lindberg)
The treasure-hunting outfit known as Ocean Explorer, or Ocean X-Team, discovered what appears to be a large disc-shaped object at the bottom of the Baltic Sea between Sweden and Finland in June of 2011. Sonar detected the object approximately three-hundred feet below the sea’s surface, and is estimated to be nearly two-hundred feet in length. The announcement of this find fueled speculation that the mysterious object could be a crashed UFO. And the media helped fuel that speculation by pointing out that the object’s appearance resembles the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars.

Now, one year later, Ocean X-Team has returned to the area to hopefully identify the mysterious object. But as Lee Speigel of the Huffington Post points out, not everyone thinks there is a UFO sitting at the bottom of the sea. Benjamin Radford, deputy editor of Skeptical Inquirer magazine, told The Huffington Post that side-scan sonar, the type of sonar used by Ocean X-Team, can create “false echoes,” and “the object that we’re talking about is basically flush with the ocean floor, and side-scan sonar is much less reliable for things like that.” Radford also told the Huffington Post that he suspects conspiracy theories will ignite if the team is unable to locate the object this time around. And there is already added fuel for those conspiracy theories should the object no longer be detected.

Peter and Dennis of Ocean X-Team. (Credit: Ocean Explorer)
According to Swedish news site Aftonbladet, the team is already worried that someone may have beaten them to the object. Team member Dennis Åsberg reportedly stated recently that Russians and Americans were conducting “military exercises” in the area.

Regardless, the team, reportedly backed by a “secret sponsor,” set out to rediscover the object, and hopefully determine its identity. According to the team’s website, “The expedition started Friday (June) 1st from Norrtälje harbor when Ocean X-Team took their crew out for this exciting adventure trying to find out what the mysterious disc-shaped object is. Unfortunately the weather conditions have been really bad the last days, but now they are on a roll.”

NTD Television reports that the team will use equipment to conduct three dimensional sea floor mapping, and sea floor penetrating equipment. Team member Peter Lindberg explains, “We have divers, we have robot, sophisticated sonar, we will take bottom samples, we will measure for radiation and we will also bring tests with us so we can leave it to a lab.”

The latest expedition is scheduled to last between six and ten days.

Interesting. This article has a whole different take on the military exercises, not mentioning that they blocked the team from entering the area as the first report I read had stated. To summarize, the video states that by June 15th we'll know what the object is.

There is no documented source for the story that military exercises are blocking anything.

The Truthfall site has a specific disclaimer stating that the story of military exercise interference is false:

http://truthfall.com/tag/ufo-anomaly/

In any case, the BALTOPS series of exercises:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BALTOPS

... has been occurring every year for the last 40 years. Most, if not all, the BALTOPS exercises have occurred in June.

If there's any news here, it would be that the expedition planners had to be totally oblivious to *not* have known military exercises were going to be underway at this time.

Why would they put a video on that site that shows a flying saucer crashing into the sea? Are they going to make an SF film?

Reading about the elevated radiation levels in the area... it gives me the idea that this could be a load of shipping containers full of radioactive waste. Probably dumped there by somebody who didn't want to pay for proper disposal and storage.

Mythopoeika said:
... Reading about the elevated radiation levels in the area... it gives me the idea that this could be a load of shipping containers full of radioactive waste. Probably dumped there by somebody who didn't want to pay for proper disposal and storage.

The report about radiation levels on the anchors was posted on 2 April 2012 - more than 9 months after their stated 19 June 2011 date when they detected the object. Where else had the anchors been during the intervening period?

The April posting mentions that the anchors had been on the sea bottom some 2 -3 km from the object - the only time and the closest proximity they've ever claimed for the anchors in relation to the object.

If you look at the images, there are some interior shots of a craft, with 'Guinness' written everywhere.
What's the betting they're making an ad for Guinness?

Yes, could be possible. Also seems just a little too convenient that the team has a decent looking website with regular updates. It's much more common in recent times, but still slightly on the convenient side. And most mysterious - maybe even more mysterious than the disk shaped object - was the wording of the most recent update.

2012-06-07

BREAKING NEWS 2pm, The divers are now down and investigating the circle and reports from the ship say they are really amazed. There is definitely something unusual hiding at the seabed – a Mystery Beneath. More information and pictures will be released next week.

Fingers crossed that it's not an advertising ploy.

A quick whoiis lookup shows that the domain http://www.oceanexplorer.se/ is registered to one.com which is a web hosting company - the sort of place an individual or group would get their webspace with and the it has been registered since the 17th of March 2011. There is no archive of the page prior to the current stuff.

Gordon

It does all seem a bit hokey, in a sort of bog-standard nuts and bolts ufology way. A circular object, radioactivity, etc...

Mythopoeika said:
If you look at the images, there are some interior shots of a craft, with 'Guinness' written everywhere.
What's the betting they're making an ad for Guinness?

These photo's appear to be from a hired sub which was used in the Baltic for a Guinness promotion in 2010. (See here.) I don't think this necessarily means that Guinness, or that particular vessel, have anything to do with the current operation.

The Ancylus was still listed for sale at the end of October 2011 (See here).

Ocean X Team bought the vessel in May 2012 - and the cynic in me can't help thinking that the pushing of this project as an investment opportunity may have been of very great help in that purchase. (Their previous vessel appears to have been a much more basic affair.)

Hmmmm... Can't Help but feel that the big reveal will be a large Pint of the Black stuff, rising out of the seabed,and above the water. With the charasmatic head of white foam... With the strapline...

Out of This world.

Back