• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Newly-Built Haunted Houses?

gyrtrash

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Does anyone know of any 'haunted' houses that have been very recently constructed?

What's the 'youngest' house that's been reported to be haunted?

How can a house that's just been built or recently been built, be haunted?

Just wondered...

I don't personally know of any....but what it is is the land is haunted. The ghost is there on the land or wanders to the house after it is built.

I was rereading an old favourite book recently which features exactly this - ghosts haunting new houses, because they were built on 'previously haunted' land.

Sometimes, it is rumoured that murder victims are hidden in the foundations of new houses and built over. I have heard this several times in the last few years, including two famous cases of mysterious disappearances.

Wouldn't it be great if... ;)

What book were you rereading Escargot? Sounds interesting!

It was one I've often mentioned on here before - The Restless Ghosts Of Ladye Place, by Harry Ludlam. Published nearly 40 years ago, scared the Dickens out of me as a nipper. :shock:

Ludlam is very good on actual place and witness names. As a kid, it was my ambition to visit all the haunted pubs he described. :lol:

I lived in a house that was haunted in 1981-82. It was on an estate that had been built in the 1970s. A previous occupant had (so they say) murdered her kids and committed suicide. I don't know if that's true or not and I only heard about it after I had moved out, but it was definately haunted...

Near where I used to live is a modern house that was built on the site of an old pathway. The haunting there was a grey lady who was still walking the path and as a result she was seen walking into the garage and then out of the garage, through each wall. It became quite a famous one locally and the ghost was apparantly seen quite regularly. When the story first came up I was a kid and it quite freaked me out.

At a guess, the house was built in the 1970s. It's one of those red brick, mock-Georgian styles that was popular back then.

So I guess what we are saying is that modern buildings as such cannot be haunted but the land itself can. So in terms of 'land' how would the stone tape theory work?

Well, the "stone tape" theory, as proposed by TC Lethbridge, is really to do with water, IIRC. "Fields" created by water courses/damp areas (an underground stream would do nicely) can be "imprinted" by strong emotions.

Don't forget that a "haunting" is not necessarily a dead presence. Haunting phenomena have been attributed variously to dead people, never-embodied spirits, pent-up telekinetic energy, electromagnetic or sonic energy, and psychological effects. Certain people seem to attract weird phenomena. And we've all read of haunted objects. It's rare for a new house to have all-new furniture or for the inhabitants to have no old personal items, such as family jewelry, silver, toys, or books, which might have spirits attached.

All kinds of possibilities for haunting a new buildng.

colpepper1 said:
Came across this a while back. Look at the reply under Woodgrange Park Cemetery.
http://www.derelictlondon.com/cemetery.htm

This is a genuinely fascinating site, but I wish webmasters would take into account how many millions of computer users are still on Windows 98, or evedn Windows 95, dependent on floppy discs and with limited disc space, who cannot possibly save the entire page intact. Rats!

It is likely that it is not the age of a building alone which is condusive to ghosts (if ghosts in fact have a half-life buildings may well become too old for ghosts which were previously observed there), but where it is built.

A while back I was talking to someone about the estate I live, most of which was built during the 50s and 60s. They told me that when they were a kid, some 30 odd years ago, there was a case of a family that was hounded out of their home by a poltergeist/ghost who made their lives a misery. The thing is that after the family left there was still reports of noises coming from the boarded-up property and the local kids would play a game of seeing how far they could get down the path before the front door would open by itself.

I vaguely remember another friend talking about it and I just gave him a bell. He said he remembers that they had a real problem with a couple of properties down that road and couldn't keep tenants for any great time. He thinks that eventually the houses where pulled down and the land redeveloped.

Theres an estate in west belfast ..pretty new, quite a lot of residents have left due to "ghostly" happenings a few houses have been exorcised by priests, pretty mad stuff going on there yet other houses are 100% ok.
*shrug*.. i reckon the houses there are no older than 10 years..
saying that i dont know how long people have acualy lived on the site

there is a builing in Norwich which was built on the Mary Michael Lay line that runs from Hopton in Suffolk to Cornwall that was built on a plague pit. There the residents have had many a night hag visitation.

The Black Hope Horror would qualify as newly built haunted houses. To quote from the first thread:
In 1980 Ben and Jean Williams brought a new home in Newport a subdivision just outside Houston, Texas. They moved in with their young granddaughter expecting to have all the satisfaction of living in a house that was built to their specifications. The neighborhood was beautifully designed and the house roomy and comfortable with the entire modern convinces they could want. But almost from the first day they began to have experiences that one would expect more in a drafty castle than in a brand new suburban house in southeast Texas.

The family began to have other more serious problems. Poisonous snakes began to find their way onto the property and into the couple’s home. Their daughter became seriously ill. Their neighbors reported similar incidents and problems with their own homes, but none of them could offer any explanation.

The frustration was exacerbated by a nagging doubt they could not put their finger on. When they moved in they had noticed that a tree in the back yard had strange markings carved into it. The terrain in the subdivision seemed oddly dotted with what looked like sinkholes. They could not shake the feeling that some clue or history of the area was being withheld from them. Unintentionally a neighbor discovered the horrible truth. Workers digging a swimming pool in the back yard unearthed the remains of two people.

Facts began to slowly emerge. They were able to locate an elderly man named Jasper Norton who as a youth had worked as a gravedigger. Not only could he help identify whom the graves belonged to, but he also told them how they came to be there. The subdivision was built over the graves of an abandoned cemetery that had been called "Black Hope." Buried in pauper and often unmarked graves were the remains of at least 60 people most of whom had been former slaves.

Is there any difference, in this context, between new buildings constructed from all new materials and ones built from re-cycled stuff? Doors, windows, even wall lumber and flooring timbers?

When my late Dad built high-quality reproduction antique furniture during the 1950s he used century-old hand-forged square iron nails.

There was a story about a haunted chair in the latest edition of FT. So maybe old haunted furniture can affect a new house?

The house we live in is only 7 years old... but it's made of reclaimed stone. And one of the stones in a wall round the back has the letters 'Ambulances Only' on it... :shock:

And let's not forget that many old British haunted buildings have had a reputation for housing ghosts since those structures were still reasonably new.

I lived for a while in a house my uncle built, circa----1994.

We all experienced many strange things in that house, but I don't think we attributed it to the building itself. Rumors had it that the land that Cambridge, WI was built on was sacred. Unfortunately the only thing I have to back that up so far is that Aztlan Park is really close by, as well as the Rock River and Rock Lake, all important spiritual areas.

I will say that the trails around the area do have a strange sort of energy around them and I spent many happy days soaking it up whilst playing hookey.

Mr Ring's account of the Houston 'graveyard' hauntings sounds like the plot of 'Poltergeist'! :shock:

I think I caught a bit of a fillum about the Houston thing on TV this last week. It was about a couple who built their dream home, which was soon overrun by snakes and other less tangible creepiness. Supposed to be true.

Old thread resurrection... the second house that hubbie and I bought was built around 1994-5, and we were its first occupants when we moved in in 1996 as it had been used as a show house in the meantime. This was a new development near Harlow, Essex. It was a great house and we loved living there; we had one small son, and by the beginning of 1998, a second son arrived.

Whilst I was on maternity leave, son No 1 still went to nursery every day. I had taken him off to play with his little friends, returned with his brother, and was cleaning the house on this particular day. The stairs went up in a curve from a small hall by the front door to a galleried landing, and we customarily left our shoes by the front door mat. In order to hoover, I had to move my shoes onto the stairs. I hoovered the hall, went up the stairs and was rather surprised, on returning downstairs, to find the shoes placed neatly together at the bottom of the steps rather than on the stair where I had left them.

Now, it's entirely possible that in my post-partum state, I just forgot where exactly I had put the shoes; but a couple of weeks later, I had taken the boys away for the night to stay at my parents, whilst hubbie had to stay behind due to work committments. He's very logical and thorough, and always checks round the house before he goes to bed. At that time our computer was housed on a desk which could be pushed into a built-in wardrobe, with doors that latched properly, in our guest bedroom. That night hubbie checked that the doors were shut before going off to sleep in our room. He was thus rather disconcerted to discover the following morning that both doors were open...

We moved out of that house within a couple of months due to a change in circumstances; I occasionally wonder if anything else would have happened there. Although the land on which it had been built was farmland, they came across evidence of Neolithic habitation in the area whilst building - obviously some Stone Age spirit interested in the new technology in his area?!?!

In the village where I live there was an old house that was considered to be haunted. It had been derilict for a few years and befoe that had been converted into flats. The stories about it being haunted were well established when it was still standing. Such was its reputation it was left alone when it was empty with none of the usual vandalism.

The site was bought by Tescos and they built a small supermarket and car park. It was later sold to Mckays.

I have been told by quite a few of the people that have worked in the shops that there is a creepy atmosphere throughout the upper floors of the building with the feeling of being watched and icy cold areas. The building was quite new as the whole of the old one was excavated out completely and there have been several revamps of the shop since it was built.

bugmum said:
Old thread resurrection...

Hey, that's perfectly okay around these parts. On some Fortean lists that's frowned upon and called "necroposting." But I've always regarded Fortean and Paranormal mysteries as being for the ages or at least until fully solved/explained and I suspect that that view is shared by most of the other members of the congregation.

When I joined this group I spent the first six months going back and searching almost all the archives, responding to many of the postings.

In any case, for my money it's the oldness of the land that has to be considered right along with the oldness or newness of the habitation. And you're not going to find "new" land on an island inhabited for 750,000 years.

tilly50 said:
The building was quite new as the whole of the old one was excavated out completely and there have been several revamps of the shop since it was built.

But, once again, the "Earth Abides."

The talk of old furniture in relation to hauntings triggers a funny story from my childhood which I trust nobody will find too off-topic.

My Mom and Dad (a commercial artist) were fond of Early American furniture, both original and reproduction (see my 2006 post above) and decorated accordingly.

So one day one of my playmates toddled home and informed his parents:

"Those Wagners are such nice people. But they must be really, really poor. All their furniture's SO OLD."

The new house spook thing begs the question whether the builders noticed anything untoward while constructing the place. Given that a house takes some time to put together - and possibly an age depending on the builder - we never hear of ghosts among the cement mixers and breeze blocks. Many stories from old buildings being renovated but I can't think of a single one during construction. Maybe telling would be bad for sales?

Back