• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Nightmare Of Eternal Descent

I'm reminded irrestistibly of Ray Bradbury's short story 'Kaleidoscope' - the following tensely atmospheric radio adaptation of which I was 'enjoying' only the other evening. On reflection, it's not ideal listening for a sleepless night.

Addendum: Just remembered another sci-fi story in which a crew member of a spacecraft on a long mission has, IIRC, a phobia of being stranded in space (every way being down and all) - not so much a fear of death as of the existential horror of falling forever alone. He dies in an accident (I think) and a regulation space burial is arranged, against his wishes when alive. He then returns to haunt his friends' dreams pleading, "Please don't let them bury me between the stars..."

Anyone know this? I'd google it but have to nip out to the shops - he said returning to Earth with a bump.

Micheal Moorcock's "The Black Corridor" is pretty much about this. I think the lead character is Ryan the human awake on a tiny ship looking for a new planet through the vastness of space. He has to medicate himself due to his increasing fear of falling through the void.

It's been years since I read it though, it was one of my favorite Moorcock stories.

Once read a story in an SF collection where an *immortal* character is sent spinning through space by an explosion. The narrator, who is also immortal, never sees them again but keeps returning to the concept of spinning forever through empty space... found that pretty harrowing. Spoiler: there is a happy ending!

This thread also reminds me of a story I read on b3ta years ago. Guy lying on his back during a lunar eclipse, mildly drunk (or possibly stoned, can't remember) and regarding the moon lit by earthlight. How sunlight makes the moon look quite flat, but how it looked properly spherical... and then (as he told it) the perspective suddenly clicked in and he was profoundly aware of the distance between him and the moon... quarter million miles of vertigo!

I'm reminded irrestistibly of Ray Bradbury's short story 'Kaleidoscope' - the following tensely atmospheric radio adaptation of which I was 'enjoying' only the other evening. On reflection, it's not ideal listening for a sleepless night.

Addendum: Just remembered another sci-fi story in which a crew member of a spacecraft on a long mission has, IIRC, a phobia of being stranded in space (every way being down and all) - not so much a fear of death as of the existential horror of falling forever alone. He dies in an accident (I think) and a regulation space burial is arranged, against his wishes when alive. He then returns to haunt his friends' dreams pleading, "Please don't let them bury me between the stars..."

Anyone know this? I'd google it but have to nip out to the shops - he said returning to Earth with a bump.
Sounds good. I'll have a snoop.

Found something else of interest to our theme here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...Oscars-Space-talk-The-reality-of-Gravity.html

Oscars: Space talk: The reality of 'Gravity'
The odds are on for 'Gravity' to win best picture at the Oscars. But is it sci-fi? No, says the British astronaut Tim Peake, who’s been learning all about spacewalks and orbital debris at a space-simulation facility in America as he prepares for lift-off next year

gravity_2838565b.jpg

Unlike Sandra Bullock’s predicament in 'Gravity', where she is left to fall at the mercy of the laws of physics until rescued by George Clooney, there are other options open to astronauts

By Major Tim Peake

7:00AM GMT 02 Mar 2014

"At 600km above planet Earth, the temperature fluctuates between +258 and -148 degrees Fahrenheit. There is nothing to carry sound – no air pressure, no oxygen. Life in space is impossible …”

I am reminded of the opening lines to the Oscar-nominated movie Gravity as I tumble through space. Current situation is not good: detached from structure, untethered, tumbling uncontrollably and disorientated. Moving rapidly away from the haven of the International Space Station, I am suddenly extremely thankful that this is only a simulation. In fact, this is not just any ordinary simulator. I am at a cutting-edge facility called the Virtual Reality Laboratory at the Johnson Space Centre in Houston. Here, astronauts train for a situation that is arguably their worst nightmare – drifting off into the eternal vastness of space.

major-tim-peake_2838843c.jpg

Major Tim Peake next to the Apollo 10 command module (1969)

Unlike Sandra Bullock’s predicament in the movie, left to fall at the mercy of the laws of physics until rescued by George Clooney, we have one last option available. The US spacesuit that is used for conducting spacewalks is equipped with a “jetpack” called SAFER. This discharges high-pressure nitrogen gas to 24 small thrusters located around the spacesuit’s backpack. The astronauts control the thrusters using a hand controller – and if you think that sounds like something from an early James Bond movie, then you wouldn’t be far wrong.

Thankfully, the chances of finding ourselves in such a situation are slim. During a spacewalk, astronauts are protected from becoming detached by a retractable safety tether, anchored to the space station at one end and attached to the spacesuit at the other. However, this thin steel wire is a double-edged sword and astronauts must remain constantly vigilant so as not to get tangled up. In addition, there’s a mantra drilled into all of us rookie astronauts: “You stop, you drop” meaning that as soon as you stop moving from A to B, you “drop” another tether, a short strap securing you to the nearest handrail.

Under other circumstances, flying around in space with a thruster pack must rank up there as one of the most exhilarating feelings imaginable. Only a handful of astronauts have experienced this. I think one of the most inspirational photographs taken from space was during the first of these untethered spacewalks, of Nasa astronaut Bruce McCandless. This image, taken from the Shuttle, shows McCandless floating against the empty blackness of space above a stunning blue Earth. The feelings of isolation and exposure must have been immense.

However, I have no time to dwell on these thoughts. My emergency rescue scenario is extremely challenging, and the small quantity of nitrogen available for propulsion means that you only get one shot – no mistakes.

Thankfully, the SAFER is equipped with an automatic attitude hold that stops the nauseating tumbling motion that will occur if you do not smoothly detach from structure. This happened to Sandra Bullock’s character in Gravity when high-speed debris knocked her from her shuttle and left her tumbling through space. If you’re lucky, when the tumbling ceases, you will be able to see part of the space station, or maybe Earth, as a reference point. Not so lucky, and precious nitrogen has to be expended in searching for the space station.

Having successfully located it, the nitrogen remaining is already likely to be down to around 50 to 60 per cent, and although the tumbling motion will have stopped, you are still drifting away from structure. As you get further from the space station, other factors such as orbital dynamics complicate matters.

In a nutshell, objects in higher orbits travel more slowly and those in lower orbits travel faster. This explains why our TV satellites are way out at nearly 36,000km (22,369 miles), where they orbit the Earth only once every 24 hours, matching an Earth day and therefore remaining “geostationary”. In contrast, the space station at only 350km (218 miles) altitude travels at 17,500 miles per hour in order to remain in orbit and circles the Earth every hour and a half. These orbital effects become apparent even at relatively short distances, and it is unnerving to watch the space station slipping further away as you drift into a different orbit. Time is of the essence.

My first two self-rescue attempts went well, which was a relief in more ways than one since my instructors had commented that helicopter pilots (such as me) are usually pretty good at this sort of thing – no pressure, then! For my third attempt, the stakes were raised and I was ejected into space at a faster rate and from a more remote part of the space station. Worse still, my SAFER took three attempts to initialise, by which time the space station was beginning to look awfully far away.

As I recovered the situation, a quick check of nitrogen showed a worrying 10 per cent remaining. The nearest handrail to me was off to the right and I was not convinced I was going to make it. With an arm outstretched, I decided to go in hard and fast. It worked, but only just, and I could hear my instructors in the background chuckling at their console. It had been a close call but that’s exactly what these training sessions are for.

Gravity is based on a scenario whereby a Russian satellite incurs a missile strike, causing a cascading collision cloud of space debris. This is not such a far-fetched concept and is in fact known as the Kessler Syndrome. Space debris is a big deal. There are currently more than 600,000 pieces of debris larger than 1cm orbiting the Earth.

To put this into perspective, an object of that size travelling at more than 10 times the speed of a bullet could easily punch its way through the space station and cause a rapid depressurisation. In 2009 there was a collision between an Iridium communication satellite and an out-of-service Russian military satellite. This alone produced thousands of large fragments of debris that, even years later, caused the crew of the space station to take refuge in their Soyuz escape capsule as a precaution while a fragment passed by.

Some 19,000 pieces of space debris are continuously tracked by ground radars. In Europe, this is the job of the European Space Agency Operation Centre in Darmstadt, Germany. On average the space station is required to perform a debris avoidance manoeuvre about once a year when an object threatens to get too close. It is only as a last resort, when an object is spotted too late, that the crew are required to shelter in their Soyuz until the danger has passed.

Gravity’s director, Alfonso Cuarón, said last week that the movie was not science fiction, but a drama of a woman in space. While some scenes employ “heightened reality” (propelling oneself through space using a fire extinguisher springs to mind), I would certainly agree that the movie is based on existing technology and a plausible threat that is taken very seriously.

And if you think it is only the crew of the space station who are threatened by objects in space, don’t forget that we are all hurtling through a very cluttered solar system on spaceship Earth. Only last year, a 20m-wide asteroid slipped through the net, causing an unforeseen air burst over Chelyabinsk in Russia, exploding with 20 to 30 times the energy of the atomic bomb detonated at Hiroshima. Earth has close calls from asteroids more often than you might think – and we have yet to develop our own “debris-avoidance manoeuvre”.

But I digress. This is the stuff of Armageddon… not Gravity!

Major Tim Peake, Britain’s first official astronaut, is heading into space next year; blogs.esa.int/astronauts/

Interesting. Last summer I was taking time out from an expo at the Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone, Kent. The deal with this theatre/conference centre/exhibition space is that it's built into the cliffside, a sort of western extention of the White Cliffs of Dover. so there's deceptively little above ground, just the entrance and café on the clifftop walk. But once inside, there's a bar and a terrace overlooking the Channel and that's a pleasant place to sit with a drink when you want to get away from the crowd for a while. I think it was Michael Bentine who said his home town has got a unique atmosphere about it, and it can creep up on you unawares. He called it the "ethos" of the place. Well, he should know...

Anyway, I was sitting on the terrace decking appreciating the beauty of the English Channel on a sunny late summer day and in that relaxed thoughtful mellow mood you get when you're on holiday and everything is taken care of. I was looking out through regular black-painted metal railings, behind which was the natural foliage and shrubbery growing on the cliff side, with the sea beyond and a view as far as Dover. Maybe it was the "magic eye" effect and my eyes got out of normal everyday focus, but I suddenly became aware of another stretch of black metal railing, at right-angles to the "real" one, stretching off into what was now a different sort of green. On this level it was probably an optical illusion, as I could switch back into "normal" vision again pretty much at will, and the illusion of the second set of railings dissappeared.

But there was also what's been described as the Oz Factor about it. Sounds around me - and there were over a thousand people in the building - muted. The green foliage behind the railings took on a different aspect - it felt like something more than the landscaping of the Leas cliffs - and I had a distinct feeling I was being watched by something that was keen to observe what I was doing. Nothing showed itself, and all I got was the hint I was looking into a different world with a kind of objective independent reality to it. Just a hint, but looking at the optical illusion and realising it was completely solid as anything else in my visual field made me wonder what, or who, else was out there. It certainly drew you in: I wondered if in some way it was a doorway or an entrance of some sort, if it could be entered, and if so could you get out again?

Alas, after about fifteen minutes of this, an acquaintance showed up who was keen to say hello and the moment passed - ended up in a conversation about the expo. So if anything was giving me marks out of ten I must have scored low. I still wonder, though. Does anyone else have tales of Weird Folkestone? (The town as a whole strikes me as faded-genteel English with an acutely eccentric edge. If Fortean stuff is going to happen, it will be in places like this!)

That was a good read and rings some bells, thanks AgProv. I've been to Folkestone and that area many times... like a lot of seaside places it seems to impose a powerful sense of place upon one's experiences there. My Dad interviewed Michael Bentine and got on with him quite well. I have a couple of his autographed books, and my Dad used to talk to me about MB's musings on the paranoramal, which was fascinating to listen to. Dad concluded that much of his interest had grown from an interest in spiritualism - as MB had lost two or three of his children. Or all of them?

Not sure MB was born in Folkestone but I'm pretty sure he spent a lot of his childhood here. I tend to think of him as a neglected figure amongst prominent Forteans.

Isn't that where Nick Cave's son Arthur fell to his death recently?

I was sitting on the terrace decking appreciating the beauty of the English Channel on a sunny late summer day and in that relaxed thoughtful mellow mood you get when you're on holiday and everything is taken care of. I was looking out through regular black-painted metal railings, behind which was the natural foliage and shrubbery growing on the cliff side, with the sea beyond and a view as far as Dover. Maybe it was the "magic eye" effect and my eyes got out of normal everyday focus, but I suddenly became aware of another stretch of black metal railing, at right-angles to the "real" one, stretching off into what was now a different sort of green. On this level it was probably an optical illusion, as I could switch back into "normal" vision again pretty much at will, and the illusion of the second set of railings dissappeared.

But there was also what's been described as the Oz Factor about it. Sounds around me - and there were over a thousand people in the building - muted. The green foliage behind the railings took on a different aspect - it felt like something more than the landscaping of the Leas cliffs - and I had a distinct feeling I was being watched by something that was keen to observe what I was doing. Nothing showed itself, and all I got was the hint I was looking into a different world with a kind of objective independent reality to it. Just a hint, but looking at the optical illusion and realising it was completely solid as anything else in my visual field made me wonder what, or who, else was out there. It certainly drew you in: I wondered if in some way it was a doorway or an entrance of some sort, if it could be entered, and if so could you get out again?

Alas, after about fifteen minutes of this, an acquaintance showed up who was keen to say hello and the moment passed - ended up in a conversation about the expo. So if anything was giving me marks out of ten I must have scored low. I still wonder, though. Does anyone else have tales of Weird Folkestone? (The town as a whole strikes me as faded-genteel English with an acutely eccentric edge. If Fortean stuff is going to happen, it will be in places like this!)
Fascinating, AgProv. Reverie can be all-absorbing when the circumstances allow.

I had a mild case yesterday morning. Walked my daughter to school and crossing the final park on the way home I lay down on the grass and stared up at the sky. Clear blue above with high level cloud to the north-west in my peripheral vision. The drone of distant traffic and the shrieking of various large bird species sent me on my way. After a minute or so, my vision fixed on a very faint triangle of cloud isolated far from any other formations. It was very faint and very small but consisted of a sharp straight triangular delineation on two sides with the third side regular random cloud. I recalled that people have viewed ufos materialising and dematerialising before their eyes and wondered if I were in for a viewing. Didn't get one, but I sent out the thought "Show yourself to me". The unusual fact was that it kept that shape as it rode the sky for about 2-3 minutes. I expected it to vaporise or change shape but it didn't. I had a look around elsewhere and when I tried to find it again it was gone.

It was a fantastic day all around. Last night I took the car to Wickham's Peak to watch the waxing crescent moon down into the Gulf. It was one of those warm still nights of insects and shooting stars. Saw 9 satellites and a slow burner. The starfield was very full as the moon lowered itself into the deep. Sat out there for a couple of hours. Bliss.

Thanks for replies! It occurs to me I took photos. shortly before having the odd experience, I took a record shot of the view from the Leas Cliffe terrace looking south towards France: the set of metal railings are present in the centre-right, and you can se a little of the landscaping of the cliff to the left. A nice place for an interesting psychological diversion over a pint of Spitfire on a sunny afternoon!
upload_2016-2-13_15-5-57.jpeg

Fucken 'ell. I didn't know France was that close to England... blah blah drunken drivel

Last edited:
Fucken 'ell. I didn't know France was that close to England. /QUOTE]
Dover to Cap Griz Nez (near Calais) is about 21 miles. On a clear day the French coast is visible. Better views still from Dover Castle, or the cliffs either side.

Dover to Cap Griz Nez (near Calais) is about 21 miles. On a clear day the French coast is visible. Better views still from Dover Castle, or the cliffs either side.
'Tis true - with a good pair of binoculars you can tell the time on the clock tower in the town square in Calais.
Folkestone is a crappy seaside town, but it's MY crappy seaside town and I love it.
I've not actually heard of that many Fortean happenings in the town. There is the old home of H G Wells, Spade House which is now a nursing home, my sister in law worked there and some odd things happened on night shifts. Doors opening and closing, piano music being heard etc.
You are right, AgProv, there should be much more Fortean stuff when you consider the history of the town. For example, during World War 1, 10 million troops and nurses etc used the harbour to travel to and from the trenches. That's got to leave a Fortean mark!

By the way, Arthur Cave fell at Ovingdean Gap, about 80 miles along the coast in Sussex, poor lad, God rest his soul.

Edited to correct name to H G Wells - I had a brain fart!

Last edited:
Found something else of interest to our theme here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...Oscars-Space-talk-The-reality-of-Gravity.html

Oscars: Space talk: The reality of 'Gravity'
The odds are on for 'Gravity' to win best picture at the Oscars. But is it sci-fi? No, says the British astronaut Tim Peake, who’s been learning all about spacewalks and orbital debris at a space-simulation facility in America as he prepares for lift-off next year

gravity_2838565b.jpg

Unlike Sandra Bullock’s predicament in 'Gravity', where she is left to fall at the mercy of the laws of physics until rescued by George Clooney, there are other options open to astronauts

By Major Tim Peake

7:00AM GMT 02 Mar 2014

"At 600km above planet Earth, the temperature fluctuates between +258 and -148 degrees Fahrenheit. There is nothing to carry sound – no air pressure, no oxygen. Life in space is impossible …”

I am reminded of the opening lines to the Oscar-nominated movie Gravity as I tumble through space. Current situation is not good: detached from structure, untethered, tumbling uncontrollably and disorientated. Moving rapidly away from the haven of the International Space Station, I am suddenly extremely thankful that this is only a simulation. In fact, this is not just any ordinary simulator. I am at a cutting-edge facility called the Virtual Reality Laboratory at the Johnson Space Centre in Houston. Here, astronauts train for a situation that is arguably their worst nightmare – drifting off into the eternal vastness of space.

major-tim-peake_2838843c.jpg

Major Tim Peake next to the Apollo 10 command module (1969)

Unlike Sandra Bullock’s predicament in the movie, left to fall at the mercy of the laws of physics until rescued by George Clooney, we have one last option available. The US spacesuit that is used for conducting spacewalks is equipped with a “jetpack” called SAFER. This discharges high-pressure nitrogen gas to 24 small thrusters located around the spacesuit’s backpack. The astronauts control the thrusters using a hand controller – and if you think that sounds like something from an early James Bond movie, then you wouldn’t be far wrong.

Thankfully, the chances of finding ourselves in such a situation are slim. During a spacewalk, astronauts are protected from becoming detached by a retractable safety tether, anchored to the space station at one end and attached to the spacesuit at the other. However, this thin steel wire is a double-edged sword and astronauts must remain constantly vigilant so as not to get tangled up. In addition, there’s a mantra drilled into all of us rookie astronauts: “You stop, you drop” meaning that as soon as you stop moving from A to B, you “drop” another tether, a short strap securing you to the nearest handrail.

Under other circumstances, flying around in space with a thruster pack must rank up there as one of the most exhilarating feelings imaginable. Only a handful of astronauts have experienced this. I think one of the most inspirational photographs taken from space was during the first of these untethered spacewalks, of Nasa astronaut Bruce McCandless. This image, taken from the Shuttle, shows McCandless floating against the empty blackness of space above a stunning blue Earth. The feelings of isolation and exposure must have been immense.

However, I have no time to dwell on these thoughts. My emergency rescue scenario is extremely challenging, and the small quantity of nitrogen available for propulsion means that you only get one shot – no mistakes.

Thankfully, the SAFER is equipped with an automatic attitude hold that stops the nauseating tumbling motion that will occur if you do not smoothly detach from structure. This happened to Sandra Bullock’s character in Gravity when high-speed debris knocked her from her shuttle and left her tumbling through space. If you’re lucky, when the tumbling ceases, you will be able to see part of the space station, or maybe Earth, as a reference point. Not so lucky, and precious nitrogen has to be expended in searching for the space station.

Having successfully located it, the nitrogen remaining is already likely to be down to around 50 to 60 per cent, and although the tumbling motion will have stopped, you are still drifting away from structure. As you get further from the space station, other factors such as orbital dynamics complicate matters.

In a nutshell, objects in higher orbits travel more slowly and those in lower orbits travel faster. This explains why our TV satellites are way out at nearly 36,000km (22,369 miles), where they orbit the Earth only once every 24 hours, matching an Earth day and therefore remaining “geostationary”. In contrast, the space station at only 350km (218 miles) altitude travels at 17,500 miles per hour in order to remain in orbit and circles the Earth every hour and a half. These orbital effects become apparent even at relatively short distances, and it is unnerving to watch the space station slipping further away as you drift into a different orbit. Time is of the essence.

My first two self-rescue attempts went well, which was a relief in more ways than one since my instructors had commented that helicopter pilots (such as me) are usually pretty good at this sort of thing – no pressure, then! For my third attempt, the stakes were raised and I was ejected into space at a faster rate and from a more remote part of the space station. Worse still, my SAFER took three attempts to initialise, by which time the space station was beginning to look awfully far away.

As I recovered the situation, a quick check of nitrogen showed a worrying 10 per cent remaining. The nearest handrail to me was off to the right and I was not convinced I was going to make it. With an arm outstretched, I decided to go in hard and fast. It worked, but only just, and I could hear my instructors in the background chuckling at their console. It had been a close call but that’s exactly what these training sessions are for.

Gravity is based on a scenario whereby a Russian satellite incurs a missile strike, causing a cascading collision cloud of space debris. This is not such a far-fetched concept and is in fact known as the Kessler Syndrome. Space debris is a big deal. There are currently more than 600,000 pieces of debris larger than 1cm orbiting the Earth.

To put this into perspective, an object of that size travelling at more than 10 times the speed of a bullet could easily punch its way through the space station and cause a rapid depressurisation. In 2009 there was a collision between an Iridium communication satellite and an out-of-service Russian military satellite. This alone produced thousands of large fragments of debris that, even years later, caused the crew of the space station to take refuge in their Soyuz escape capsule as a precaution while a fragment passed by.

Some 19,000 pieces of space debris are continuously tracked by ground radars. In Europe, this is the job of the European Space Agency Operation Centre in Darmstadt, Germany. On average the space station is required to perform a debris avoidance manoeuvre about once a year when an object threatens to get too close. It is only as a last resort, when an object is spotted too late, that the crew are required to shelter in their Soyuz until the danger has passed.

Gravity’s director, Alfonso Cuarón, said last week that the movie was not science fiction, but a drama of a woman in space. While some scenes employ “heightened reality” (propelling oneself through space using a fire extinguisher springs to mind), I would certainly agree that the movie is based on existing technology and a plausible threat that is taken very seriously.

And if you think it is only the crew of the space station who are threatened by objects in space, don’t forget that we are all hurtling through a very cluttered solar system on spaceship Earth. Only last year, a 20m-wide asteroid slipped through the net, causing an unforeseen air burst over Chelyabinsk in Russia, exploding with 20 to 30 times the energy of the atomic bomb detonated at Hiroshima. Earth has close calls from asteroids more often than you might think – and we have yet to develop our own “debris-avoidance manoeuvre”.

But I digress. This is the stuff of Armageddon… not Gravity!

Major Tim Peake, Britain’s first official astronaut, is heading into space next year; blogs.esa.int/astronauts/

Thanks for this Skinny, it caused me a right Fortean moment when I found it. One of my favourite & most admired people on or off the planet right now is Maj. Tim Peake. To find him on a Fortean Times forum is surreal.

One of my favourite & most admired people on or off the planet right now is Maj. Tim Peake. To find him on a Fortean Times forum is surreal.

He went to the same school I did! A search on the MB will turn up many mentions (often by me)!

Reactions: Doc
Fucken 'ell. I didn't know France was that close to England. You could see 'em take off. You could tonk a rocket over the water no worries. Less far than Glenelg to Pt Vincent by the looks. No wonder the nazties lost the war and the yanks took on willhelm von brawn and got him to slog his rocket to the moon. Bet they're spittin' chips the bloody nasties.

I was on top of the cliffs, which this far west are tiddlers compared to those at Dover but still perhaps 150 feet high. So the French coast is far more visible from this elevation - if you're in the hills above Folkestone (the drive out on the Canterbury road is quite spectacular) you see even more clearly, on a good day. From our hotel room, we could see lights at night on the French side! Funny you should talk about chucking hardware back and forth. if you walk down Sandgate road, which runs parellel to the coast, the architecture is largely High Victorian but has occassional strange random gaps where far uglier and more recent buildings have been erected. There's also a church tower standing on its own with no actual church attached. The reason for this is down to WW2 but not usually, as you might expect, to German bombing aircraft. The Kent coast was so close to France that long-range German artillery could lob shells over: apparently over 11,000 artillery shells, fired from France, caused reportable damage to buildings and people. The actual total of shells which landed in Kent and as far west as Sussex must have been far higher. The seafront at Dover has a commemorative plaque, captured when one of those German artillery units was over-run in 1944, which boasts of over 4,000 very heavy shells (Navy-grade 14"/38cm) aimed at the Dover area in the four years of active firing. Of course, British long range artillery was firing back....
Esflogen.gif

'Tis true - with a good pair of binoculars you can tell the time on the clock tower in the town square in Calais.
Folkestone is a crappy seaside town, but it's MY crappy seaside town and I love it.
I've not actually heard of that many Fortean happenings in the town. There is the old home of George Orwell, Spade House which is now a nursing home, my sister in law worked there and some odd things happened on night shifts. Doors opening and closing, piano music being heard etc.
You are right, AgProv, there should be much more Fortean stuff when you consider the history of the town. For example, during World War 1, 10 million troops and nurses etc used the harbour to travel to and from the trenches. That's got to leave a Fortean mark!

By the way, Arthur Cave fell at Ovingdean Gap, about 80 miles along the coast in Sussex, poor lad, God rest his soul.

Odd factoids about Folkestone: the Metropole Hotel was a refugee station during WW1. Not any old refugees but the Belgian Royal Family and government.
Folkestone was Spike Milligan's point of return to the UK after five years with the Army in North Africa, Italy and Austria. So he might have walked the other way back up the Road of Remembrance?
The local council recently commissioned a War Memorial at the town centre end of the Leas. They wanted an inspiring symbol that could be seen from miles away and preferably from France. What they got looks like a bloody great advert for McDonalds. Interestingly there is a McDonalds about two hundred yards away from the McDonalds War Memorial Arch....

upload_2016-2-14_0-20-25.jpeg

Got it! The McDonalds World Wars Memorial Arch, Folkestone, Kent. About 150 yards away on the right you will find the local McD's, who will help you honour their memory through the medium of Big Macs.

Odd factoids about Folkestone: the Metropole Hotel was a refugee station during WW1. Not any old refugees but the Belgian Royal Family and government.
Folkestone was Spike Milligan's point of return to the UK after five years with the Army in North Africa, Italy and Austria. So he might have walked the other way back up the Road of Remembrance?
The local council recently commissioned a War Memorial at the town centre end of the Leas. They wanted an inspiring symbol that could be seen from miles away and preferably from France. What they got looks like a bloody great advert for McDonalds. Interestingly there is a McDonalds about two hundred yards away from the McDonalds War Memorial Arch....
Those golden arches of Mickey D's have been around for a long time. Certainly since the 60's. Coincidence or copy cats?

AgProv - I have family who live in Densole just outside Folkestone. Nothing ever happened in Densole.

I enjoyed reading about Folkestone, so thank you for the local perspective on what sounds like a lovey place. I wish I was there now, rather than in the US! (We may be starting something like "a nightmare of eternal descent" here since Nov 8, but it's essential to stay positive, so I'll shut up about that.)

There is a book by an Australian, Robert Bruce, with something readers might find relevant to the "A nightmare of eternal descent" topic. The book, Astraldynamics, is a manual on how to induce OOB experiences. In one section, the author describes what he calls "voids" (page 158 of the e-version). It's a place that is absolutely dark and where nothing happens. You just float around in it.

It's a fascinating book. There used to be a free online pdf available on his website, but it looks like it's been taken down.

Adding a note about Folkestone. Last night my mother and I watched Blythe Spirit with Rex Harrison. There was a line about how the living husband had to drive the ghost of his deceased wife into Folkestone because she was bored at home. Yes, apparently ghosts love Folkestone.

Last edited:
I've got family in Densole. I must remember to ask someone about the pub.

Did I ever induce an OBE ? Alas, no. I haven't even been able to develop skill at lucid dreaming, which would have been of great assistance when I've had to get through painfully boring and restrictive conditions due to poverty or isolated work sites.

I remember being terrified the first time I realized the unfathomable reach of space and how little our Planet Earth mattered. Now, several years older, I take comfort in how small and young we are in this solar system. We are just a tiny blip in this vast void where a miracle took place and will end while all of space spins on forever. It's hard to cry over any life problems when you realize how little you rate to history and the universe :D
*Side Note* When I was a little girl, quite young, I knew nothing of our planet. I thought we all lived on a green and blue giants head while he walked around. I thought mowing the lawn was giving him a hair cut. I sometimes would grab the grass because I worried about flying off the world.

Looping this song while I read the thread. Would love some more personal recollections if anyone has the time.

A little snip from the film Gravity to give a bit of visual drama to my OP.

Ever seen that scene in Kubrick's 2001 where Poole has asphyxiated and is tumbling away from Discovery into pitch black foreverness of space? A few weeks ago I dreamed I was in that exact situation, but not dead - aware. Aware that this experience was all I was ever going to have ever ever again. Sensations of terror and panic and descent into black nothing with no end. ..
The facts of the matter at hand.

May I suggest the following exercise.

Sit in a dark, preferably silent, room, or lay on the bed in the dark.

Relax and think of absolutely nothing. Just imagine the void.

It's hard to do, but if you do it properly you will find that you feel you are sinking into an infinitely deep and dark abyss.

It can get quite frightening. Try to let yourself carry on sinking.

Don't forget to come back afterwards.

INT21.

Back