• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

Boys got the best shoes. In the day, mind ...
Not all boys did though! When I wore out the soles (usually playing football in the schoolyard after hours) my Dad couldn't buy me new shoes, instead, he used to disappear into the shed at the bottom of the garden for a while and come back with my holed shoes with a new piece of leather on the sole, which was OK - but for the sharp end of the nails he missed on the anvil, which played havoc with the soles of my feet ~ bleeding and very sore, but he did his best in hard times.
P.S. Newspaper used to ward-off the worst effects from the nails, and kept my feet warm at the same time.

Last edited:

Electric car drivers 'should pay 6p-per-mile road tax'

Treasury warned UK faces £10bn shortfall by 2030s from lost fuel duty.

A 6p-per-mile road tax on electric cars should be introduced to avoid a “massive black hole” in tax revenues, ministers have been urged.

The Resolution Foundation has warned the Treasury it will face a £10bn shortfall by the early 2030s unless it introduces new taxes on electric vehicles.

The think tank has said a proposed road tax, which would be measured through GPS data, would also allow the Government to charge motorists more for driving in congested areas in order to reduce traffic.

The proposals come as the Government faces a budget shortfall from the loss of fuel duty, which makes up over 2pc of total tax take.

Electric vehicles (EVs) are not currently charged a fuel duty on the electricity used to recharge them. Drivers of electric cars will have to start paying vehicle excise duty from 2025, bringing them in line with petrol and diesel vehicles.

However, fuel duty makes up the bulk of revenue the Treasury collects from drivers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/06/01/electric-car-drivers-should-pay-6p-per-mile-charge/

Wonderful: We can all be ripped off and tracked everywhere we go.

maximus otter

And now the EV production industry demands the government rethink the financial incentives of buying an EV which have now ended.
It's foreseeable that sales will reach a plateau and drop when customers have to pay the real cost of the car.
It doesn't help that there's been a drag to installing charging points etc.

Electric car drivers 'should pay 6p-per-mile road tax'

Treasury warned UK faces £10bn shortfall by 2030s from lost fuel duty.

A 6p-per-mile road tax on electric cars should be introduced to avoid a “massive black hole” in tax revenues, ministers have been urged.

The Resolution Foundation has warned the Treasury it will face a £10bn shortfall by the early 2030s unless it introduces new taxes on electric vehicles.

The think tank has said a proposed road tax, which would be measured through GPS data, would also allow the Government to charge motorists more for driving in congested areas in order to reduce traffic.

The proposals come as the Government faces a budget shortfall from the loss of fuel duty, which makes up over 2pc of total tax take.

Electric vehicles (EVs) are not currently charged a fuel duty on the electricity used to recharge them. Drivers of electric cars will have to start paying vehicle excise duty from 2025, bringing them in line with petrol and diesel vehicles.

However, fuel duty makes up the bulk of revenue the Treasury collects from drivers.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/06/01/electric-car-drivers-should-pay-6p-per-mile-charge/

maximus otter
"Sparks will fly!"

maximus otter
And.... those in power will be able to stop your EV from going anywhere they don't want you to go or even stop you driving it at all if they so choose. The technology already exists and it works.

EV's are all about controlling people and where they drive and of course, collecting data.

Last edited:
I think smart cars were sold as 'city' vehicles, where space was an issue.
Since I moved to rural Yorkshire, I've not seen one. Near me in Nottingham was a Smart Car dealership.

I think smart cars were sold as 'city' vehicles, where space was an issue.
Since I moved to rural Yorkshire, I've not seen one. Near me in Nottingham was a Smart Car dealership.
We skirt outer London and it’s very rare to see one. About one in four years.

Now I think of it, I haven't seen a Smart car in years. But then, I haven't been near a city for years either.

Could it possibly be down to pedestrians stepping on to the cycle lane as in the picture? It’s a regular hazard - often they’re looking at a phone. And of course, some cyclists are wankers who don’t slow down in these situations.

I don’t know how it could be made much plainer - it’s red, with bikes depicted in white, & there’s bollards separating it from the road. If people walk into it without looking, who is to blame? Those against cycle lanes will always be against cycle lanes.

View attachment 66010

Work planned at ‘optical illusion’ street where people keep falling over​

https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/03/work...on-street-where-people-keep-falling-18891561/

maximus otter
Upon signing on to my computer today, I was in for a slight shock -
At first I was on the regular internet page, but always opt for the 'New In Private Window', where (supposedly) we are not tracked.
But the first thing I saw on the regular page before I went on to the 'Private' window was the same photo of a 'Chunky' bar that I pasted on this Fortean site the other day!
Which tells me that things are not as 'Private' as we are being led to believe.
Also when I go on to facebook to visit with friends, I am shown ads to things I have looked at in previous weeks, they are watching and storing information all the time.
Very disturbing and unsettling.

Work planned at ‘optical illusion’ street where people keep falling over​

https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/03/work...on-street-where-people-keep-falling-18891561/

Doesn’t look like they’re doing anything about raised kerbs though:

Councillor Paul Roper said: ‘The works to repair the broken paving slabs and replace cycle stands and bollards have been scheduled for some time.

Mr Roper said the council has ‘already acted by introducing the red coloured cycle lane finish that has reduced the number of reported incidents significantly’.

It sounds like the cycle lane was originally the same colour as the road. Maybe the fact it’s now red makes people notice it more & be more careful in crossing..

Must be easier and cheaper to just put up a sign that says something like "Beware of the kerbs and stuff"

There seems to have been an awful lot of car thefts in my area (just outside outer London) I do wonder if it is because of ULEZ. They have said compliant’s car’s insurance will go up because they are more appealing.

Must be easier and cheaper to just put up a sign that says something like "Beware of the kerbs and stuff"
streetsign.png

Yesterday on my way to work on two separate pedestrian crossings where I had a green light bicycles went straight across through the red light l while I was crossing.

Now I know we want to encourage people to cycle but while there’s no registration/licence they think the rules don’t apply to them and it’s dangerous for them as well. I want to know how many accidents there are because a bicycle thought it could go through a red light?

They also cause accidents. My mate had his motorbike written off in an accident caused by a bicycle but guess who’s insurance had to foot the bill?

I think safer cycling should be encouraged. I think there should be basic training (for adults) as they brought in for entry level mopeds some years back, remind them of road rules and also teach defensive cycling which motorbikes are trained to do. I think adults should have some kind of minimal insurance and bikes have a registration number.

Net zero ‘grocery tax’ will push shopping bills up by £4bn

Retailers say forcing them to take on recycling costs will increase household bills by £140 a year.

Green levies due to be imposed from next year will increase food prices within months, pushing up total shopping bills by up to £4 billion a year, retailers have warned...

Paywalled: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...grocery-tax-push-up-food-prices-supermarkets/

More info and comment here: https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...ncrease-grocery-prises-by-4-billion-per-year/

maximus otter

Isn't should not different to must not in the highway code though?
Ok here it is.

‘Rules in the Code which are legal requirements, and which you will be committing a criminal offense if you disobey, use the words "must/must not."

Violating other parts of the Code, which use the words "should/should not" or "do/do not", can be used as evidence against you in Traffic Court, even if violating them is not an automatic criminal offense, so please pay attention to all parts of The Highway Code.’

https://toptests.co.uk/highway-code/

We skirt outer London and it’s very rare to see one. About one in four years.
Heh.
The day after this thread, I saw a Smart Car ... then the day after that, an entirely different one.
Perhaps Smart Car owners are also the internet masters who saw our posts! ;)

Back