• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

Not if you find a fully qualified gas engineer to fit the spares.
I'm not sure that the ban on new installation doesn't extend to maintenance of existing boilers.

I think you may be able to replace the compleat boiler but a new
complete installation as to be heat pump.
I do wonder what will happen when heat pumps become the norm
will there be any point in having gas in the home, I would think any
savings on having a gas cooker would be countered by not having a
gas standing charge, and I cant see the gas suppliers being keen
to stop charging it and remove the connection.
:dunno:

I do wonder what will happen when heat pumps become the norm
will there be any point in having gas in the home, I would think any
savings on having a gas cooker would be countered by not having a
gas standing charge, and I cant see the gas suppliers being keen
to stop charging it and remove the connection.
:dunno:
Cooking with gas is actually superior to cooking with electricity.

Heh. I've no choice - we have no gas supply. Everything, cooking, heating etc. is all 'leccy ... including our hot water which is supplied from an emmersion heater.

Heh. I've no choice - we have no gas supply. Everything, cooking, heating etc. is all 'leccy ... including our hot water which is supplied from an emmersion heater.
A friend of mine buys big bottles of LNG (liquid natural gas) for cooking. He lives in the sticks and is not on the gas pipeline.

We're right in town. It's the bottom half of a divided Georgian farmhouse, and the adaptation was done on the cheap.
We've the lowest possible EPC rating - officially, our landlord needs to apply for an exemption to let it; we've asked but he's notoriously lazy.

Man forced to ditch Ford EV truck during family road trip to Chicago: ‘biggest scam of modern times’

Dalbir Bala bought a Ford F-150 Lightning EV in January for $85,000, plus tax. Ford said the MSRP on the vehicle is $77,495.

He [said that] he needed the vehicle for his work, but also wanted something suitable for recreational activities such as driving to his cabin or going fishing. He also wanted an environmentally friendly vehicle as owning one is "responsible citizenship these days."

But Bala was quickly hit with the reality of owning and operating an EV soon after the purchase. The vehicle compelled him to install two chargers – one at work and one at home – for $10,000. To accommodate the charger, he had to upgrade his home’s electric panel for $6,000.

In all, Bala spent more than $130,000 – plus tax.

The limitations of the EV truck became even more apparent when Bala embarked on a chaotic 1,400-mile road trip to Chicago.

Fast charging stations – which only charge EV’s up to 90% – cost more than gas for the same mileage. On the family’s first stop in Fargo, North Dakota, it took two hours and $56 to charge his vehicle from 10% to 90%. The charge was good for another 215 miles.

On the second stop, the free charger was faulty and the phone number on the charging station was of no help, he said. The family drove to another charging station in Elk River, Minnesota, but the charger was faulty there as well.

"This sheer helplessness was mind-boggling," Bala wrote in an online post. "My kids and wife were really worried and stressed at this point."

There were no other fast charging stations within range of Elk River and his vehicle only had 12 miles left.

"By now it was late afternoon. We were really stuck, hungry, and heartbroken," Bala said.

Bala ultimately had the vehicle towed to a Ford dealership in Elk River and rented a regular gasoline-powered vehicle to complete the family’s trip.

"It was in [the] shop for 6 months. I can’t take it to my lake cabin. I cannot take it for off-grid camping. I cannot take for even a road trip," Bala wrote. "I can only drive in city – biggest scam of modern times."

"Do your research before even thinking about it and make a wiser choice."

"The actual thing they promised is not even close. Not even 50%. And once you buy it, you're stuck with it and you have to carry huge losses to get rid of that. And nobody is there to help you."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/man-forced-ditch-115k-ford-234104336.html

maximus otter
This guy was uneducated and ill prepared. He should not have bought an EV. They are not for everyone. They are CERTAINLY not for the person who can't run a smart phone, use a touch screen, or do math.

Lying in a ditch is just fine, but dying in a ditch - not so good for the groundwater.
Let's hope she doesn't 'die in a ditch'.
Only bad in the groundwater if you drink it. There's nothing wrong with natural decomposition. But it's better if there is some soil and rock between the body and the groundwater so the material can infiltrate and disperse or be consumed by bacteria.

This guy was uneducated and ill prepared. He should not have bought an EV. They are not for everyone. They are CERTAINLY not for the person who can't run a smart phone, use a touch screen, or do math.
Interesting...

The Ford F-150 Lightning EV's curb weight is 3 and a quarter US tons, which is damned heavy for an electric vehicle.

At 450 HP (330kW), an electric powered motor would not be good for the average family run, and is ridiculous. It's standard batteries ( 98.0 or 131.0 kWh lithium-ion) capacity range is 240 miles - a platinum trim battery will give you an extra 60 miles. If I think about it, and if I didn't know any better...It's almost as if they don't want to sell this model

Why don't they place solar panels on the flat bed so that it could charge as it's driving, and while it's parked?

Ford...

Why don't they place solar panels on the flat bed so that it could charge as it's driving, and while it's parked?
And also place a small wind-turbine on the roof so that adds charge as it drives along.

There are races for solar powered cars, one is held every 2 years across Australia,
some of the cars look practical as opposed to built to win a race, and are road
registered, so it can be done, being in a sunny part of the world will be a help
but technology marches on and in time they are likely to become practical.
Another race is held in Belgium not a place that is thought of as a sun spot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerCore_SunCruiser#Race

I always wanted fan-assisted ovens ... until I 'fell in love' with my air fryer. Which, technically, is a compact fan-assisted oven. It has less air volume to heat and reduced cooking time.
Whole roast chicken 60 mins.

What happens when you need spare parts or even a direct replacement?
Old gas boilers, before the fanned flue versions onwards are pretty simple, pretty much only burner , gas valve and thermocouple. As long as the water jacket doesn't spring a leak you can keep them going for years and parts are still available for most old boilers. Even 1970s boilers like the Potterton Netaheat etc are still repairable and new fans and so on are available.

If only corporations had to pay for the pollution they cause. Instead the cost is borne by ordinary people.

The world's corporations produce so much climate change pollution, it could eat up about 44% of their profits if they had to pay damages for it, according to a study by economists of nearly 15,000 public companies.

The "corporate carbon damages" from those publicly owned companies analyzed—a fraction of all the corporations—probably runs in the trillions of dollars globally and in the hundreds of billions for American firms, one of the study authors estimated in figures that were not part of the published research. That's based on the cost of carbon dioxide pollution that the United States government has proposed.

Nearly 90% of that calculated damage comes from four industries: energy, utilities, transportation and manufacturing of materials such as steel. The study in Thursday's journal Science by a team of economists and finance professors looks at what new government efforts to get companies to report their emissions of heat-trapping gases would mean, both to the firm's bottom lines and the world's ecological health.

Earlier this year, the European Union enacted rules that would eventually require firms to disclose carbon emissions and the United States Securities and Exchange Commission and the state of California are looking at similar regulations.

Study co-author Christian Leuz, a finance and accounting professor at the University of Chicago, said the idea "of shining the light on corporate activities that have costs to society is very powerful, but it is not enough to save the planet." An earlier study of his found that after fracking firms disclosed their pollution rates, those contamination levels dropped 10% to 15%, he said.

The idea is consumers and stockholders would see the damage and pressure firms to be cleaner, Leuz said.

Outside economists agreed.

https://phys.org/news/2023-08-reveals-carbon-corporations-paid-emissions.html

Back