• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I have a hard enough time making sure an envelope of the Bird's Custard doesn't come out lumpy
Try this

1641922503832.png

Great facts! Has anyone ever died when their custard powder exploded??!! I have often imagined 'death by custard' but that would be by eating too much or drowning in a bath full of it, not by it exploding in my face!!
Well, I just couldn't resist Googling that, no deaths but, from History of Combustible Dust Explosions:

1981- Custard dust that had accumulated in the factory ceiling and rafters blew down to create a dust cloud, which then exploded at a Bird’s Custard factory in Banbury, England. The explosion blew the roof off the building. As a humorous side note, custard is created when heat and water are added to the custard powder; the water from firefighters and the heat from the explosion caused gallons of custard to suddenly be created inside the building, which then came pouring out.

I'll have 5 sugars in my coffee please but don't stir it - I don't like it too sweet.

london is a wonderful place to visit, so much to see and do, its just a pain actually living here.
Spot on there titch. Before we moved away from London, we were kept awake at night by plethora of causes.

Sirens, (mainly police) domestic arguments, drunks fighting in the street, and the aunt of a very famous ex England footballer who lived in the flat above. Effing lunatic she was. Banging, crashing, and shouting her head off all night every night………I wouldn’t mind but she lived on her own FFS. The only guest she seemed to have was her famous nephew (he said good morning to me a few times…… he seemed alright enough)

It’s so much more peaceful away from London.

Great facts! Has anyone ever died when their custard powder exploded??!! I have often imagined 'death by custard' but that would be by eating too much or drowning in a bath full of it, not by it exploding in my face!!
I knew a bloke who suffocated to death in a vat of ground coffee powder………..fortunately he didn’t suffer, as death was instant. :)

London is great but its expensive and stressful.

And too noisy 24/7.

Having stayed with friends, give me the countryside any day.

If it was cheap, and you could have a time out whenever you wanted, it would be great fun. Its full of interesting people and every corner is loaded with fascinating stories.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Fresh blackcurrants in summer are delicious, especially with a bit of vanilla ice cream. They don't seem to travel that well though, hence their near total unavailability in supermarkets. Can't beat Ribena, still my favourite blackcurrant drink.

Spot on there titch. Before we moved away from London, we were kept awake at night by plethora of causes.

Sirens, (mainly police) domestic arguments, drunks fighting in the street, and the aunt of a very famous ex England footballer who lived in the flat above. Effing lunatic she was. Banging, crashing, and shouting her head off all night every night………I wouldn’t mind but she lived on her own FFS. The only guest she seemed to have was her famous nephew (he said good morning to me a few times…… he seemed alright enough)

It’s so much more peaceful away from London.
Wow - sounds similar to the lady from Poland living in the apartment below us, stays up all night, every night, keeping us awake. She makes the whole house shake with her running back and forth for hours and hours, it's like there's an earthquake all the time. We complained to the landlord about it, wondering if she's giving Polka lessons every night, or is in training for the Polish women's marathon. Doesn't start till 10:00 pm, doesn't stop till 6:00 am. And the yelling down there is just ridiculous. And she lives alone.

Last edited:
Fresh blackcurrants in summer are delicious, especially with a bit of vanilla ice cream. They don't seem to travel that well though, hence their near total unavailability in supermarkets. Can't beat Ribena, still my favourite blackcurrant drink.
Ribena, mmmm. For some reason I thought I didn't like it, all my life, until Techy persuaded me to try some.
What was I going on about? It's terrific. :)

They have a new version now that's specially mixed to drink warm like fruit punch. Next time I'm in town I'll get us some.

Survey reveals the top 10 most typically British things;
(I'm not so sure about number 10, but then again, this was a survey in the Daily Mail)

1. Wearing summer clothing at the first sight of sun
2. Apologising automatically
3. Ability to talk at length about the weather
4. Making a cup of tea in response to a crisis
5. Finding queue-jumping the ultimate crime
6. Forming a queue for pretty much anything
7. The typical British 'stiff upper lip'
8. Grumbling throughout a meal, but not telling staff so as not to cause a fuss
9. Making sarcastic/dry jokes
10. Having a beer at the airport even though it's before 8am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-time-survey-reveals-British-things-EVER.html

(I'm not so sure about number 10, but then again, this was a survey in the Daily Mail)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-time-survey-reveals-British-things-EVER.html

I can definitely relate to number 10 Trev :D

Seriously though, I do suffer from a little bit of flying anxiety, (which has got worse over the years for some reason) so I find a few beers before a flight, no matter what time it is calms me down.:beer:

LOL, you are so right!! My dear mother was forever apologizing for anything and everything, even for other people.
And endless cups of tea!
I never understood the British 'queue', I guess I'm used to getting trampled.......
And you left out the fabulous 'clotheslines', my mom had two of them, and I use mine every day! LOL

I completely identify with everything on that list, except items 1 and 10. Regarding item 2, I don't know why but I automatically apologise even when someone else has barged into me. It's almost like I am saying "please forgive me for existing and occupying the space you were so desperate to get into that you didn't even see that I was already there". It is totally automatic and I hate myself for doing it. Is it just politeness? I don't know. Put me behind the wheel of a car and I become as aggressive and sweary as the next person. It's like you get sealed inside that motorised box and all that polite British reserve evaporates. Strange.

I do suffer from a little bit of flying anxiety
Oh don't worry about flying. It's crashing you need to worry about.
And sit at the back of the plane - you never hear of a plane reversing into a mountain.

Would the US version just be called 'Standing in line'? In which people take their turn in the order in which they joined the line.

Queue (noun) = "line" in the sense of an ordered set of people awaiting their turns. It's also commonly used in computing and operations to mean an ordered set of objects or items awaiting processing (e.g., "printer queue").

Queue (verb) is most often like "form a line" or "take one's place in line" in American colloquial speech.

Back