• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
And there is a reference to the Flake advert in that song too......I had no idea that one of the ladies had died before it was aired. I have the 12" of that song. I loved Half Man Half Biscuit. Saw them live a couple of times.
The first time I saw them in '91, me and a mate got in for free because he'd arranged an interview with them at The Jabez Clegg in Manchester. We had a pint with them, they signed my Back In The D.H.S.S. album and we nearly got to photograph them outside The Salford Lads Club as a spoof spin on The Smiths which they were up for but the manager said they didn't have the time. The second time was somewhere in Derby (can't remember where), me and a girlfriend paid to get in that time. I was taking photos with an SLR just for myself and their manager asked if he could use some of my pics so I ended up mailing him the roll of film. I've no idea if my pics were used for anything. I didn't know them or anything, we only got the interview because we were selling an indie bands fan zine at the time called Galore.

I first saw them in the small tent at the Reading Festival (Nick Cave was on the main stage) in 1990 and was delighted to find audio of it online.....
There were people climbing up on the poles holding up the tent....
The second time was at Liverpool Poly a year or so later. Shame you didn't get the chance to do the spoof Smith picture - sounds like you might have got some great photos.

I first saw them in the small tent at the Reading Festival (Nick Cave was on the main stage) in 1990 and was delighted to find audio of it online.....
There were people climbing up on the poles holding up the tent....
The second time was at Liverpool Poly a year or so later. Shame you didn't get the chance to do the spoof Smith picture - sounds like you might have got some great photos.
I saw them at Reading around that time too. I can't remember the exact year but certainly not later than 1990.

You say that like there is something wrong with Widnes, it's the quintessentially English picture postcard village, I recommend all tourists spend a weekend in Widnes for the true taste of England.
We know why you were REALLY there.

Bondage Bed in Widnes.jpeg

How I wish I was in England with all you guys. Would love to visit Whitechapel and go on the Jack The Ripper Walk Tour.
Oh, to be in England...

I lived in England until I was 36, I am rather pleased I no longer live there ... even though where I call home now we have the forces of Mordor massing on our eastern border, it is still preferable to London.

People travel from all over the world to visit London.
I wouldn't travel the 20 miles from here in Hertfordshire TBH, unless there was some pressing need to have to do so.
Pfft, what a wimp.

This traction engine travelled all the way to Cheshire to entertain me.

Traction engine at the Farmers Arms 1.jpeg

Proof: here's its Hertfordshire ID plate.

Traction engine at the Farmers Arms ID plate.jpeg

Here in the USA, we used to be able to purchase Bird's English Custard in our local supermarkets. Not anymore, now I have to get it on Amazon. Bird's Custard on apple pie, mouthwatering!
Mmmmmmm!! My motto in life is 'there is nothing that can't be improved by the addition of custard'. I love Bird's. To be honest, I have never tasted custard as beautiful as the stuff my grandma used to make. So delicious and creamy. Always the same taste, consistency and colour. I can still taste it today, probably 35 years since I last actually had the pleasure of eating it.

Good grief - just make your own custard ferchrissakes!
It's simple enough. A spoonful of cornflour, some boiled milk, egg yolks whisked into caster sugar, some vanilla extract, and VIOLA!
I haven't looked up a recipe or anything, I'm just guessing, but that works in my mind.

And my grandmother made the most fantastic Sponge Cake, with chopped apples, light as a feather and absolutely delicious!
My mother used to make Lemon Pancakes, which I assume are really crepes, thin, from scratch, and rolled up with lemon juice and sugar, and drizzled with lemon juice on top.
Wish I had those recipes now!

Here in the USA, we used to be able to purchase Bird's English Custard in our local supermarkets. Not anymore, now I have to get it on Amazon. Bird's Custard on apple pie, mouthwatering!
We have some Bramley in so I may make apple crumble later.
I prefer crumble over pie because of the texture. Crunchy crumble, chunky apple, creamy custard. Mmmm.

It's simple enough. A spoonful of cornflour, some boiled milk, egg yolks whisked into caster sugar, some vanilla extract, and VIOLA!
I haven't looked up a recipe or anything, I'm just guessing, but that works in my mind.
*nods *
Confectioner's custard. Also delicious cold. You can make vanilla slices with it. In fact it's rude not to. :thought:

Oh it's nothing to do with distance - it's because I know how shit disappointing London is.
To be fair, that engine was probably built soon after WW1 ended. It's taken 100 years to be arsed to get up here and make my acquaintance.

I don't know if I could eat your parsley sauce recipe.

I avoid shopping in Morrisons because when I do there's always a mistake or I'm overcharged and I have a row with them about it. :chuckle:

It’s the same with me and the coop Scargy. Normally I don’t look at receipts, but I do in the coop. And I make I check the receipt before I leave the store.

If it wasn’t for Amy the checkout blonde bombshell, who works the tills on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday’s from 2pm to 9pm, I wouldn’t bother with the bloody shop.

:bhave:

PS, don’t tell Mrs DT.

It’s the same with me and the coop Scargy. Normally I don’t look at receipts, but I do in the coop. And I make I check the receipt before I leave the store.

If it wasn’t for Amy the checkout blonde bombshell, who works the tills on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday’s from 2pm to 9pm, I wouldn’t bother with the bloody shop.

:bhave:

PS, don’t tell Mrs DT.
Oh I always, ALWAYS check receipts.

Works both ways though.
One time a couple of years back a newish cashier gave Techy change for £20 instead of £10. I was with Techy and he still had the change and receipt in his hand outside, a tenner up.

I took it back and explained to the manager and all was well. I've been there, at closing time with the counting and re-counting when the till is down. Desperate and dreary.

OTOH I was once charged £1 at Asda for a little barrel of Old Speckled Hen that was supposed to be reduced from £16 to £10.

I hadn't noticed it was only a quid and when the cashier called her manager over because it looked suspicious, I joked that I was being ID'd for looking too young. :chuckle:

All my shopping seemed cheap at the time but I was in a rush and cursing myself for forgetting I was on the bike and would have trouble carrying everything.
Found the receipt a few days later when the beer was but a sweet memory. :oops:

Last edited:
My mother used to make Lemon Pancakes, which I assume are really crepes, thin, from scratch, and rolled up with lemon juice and sugar, and drizzled with lemon juice on top.
That's a pancake anglais, not a crêpe. The American pancake has more in common with a drop scone than a pancake, the pancake should be as you describe.

Are you kidding?? I have a hard enough time making sure an envelope of the Bird's Custard doesn't come out lumpy, it's a definite process!

Are you kidding?? I have a hard enough time making sure an envelope of the Bird's Custard doesn't come out lumpy, it's a definite process!
He's right though, confectioner's custard isn't hard to make. It's also more versatile than the packet stuff.
Once you've mastered it you'll say goodbye to Birds. :cool:

Here are three interesting custard facts:
1. Custard powder used to be bright yellow until there was a scare about food colourings affecting children's behaviour in the '80s.
2. There is no authentic Latin word for custard. It has to be rendered as 'custard'.
3. Custard powder can explode.

Mmm, custard.

Back