• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

I was coming through Pudsey a couple of days back and could have sworn I saw Gary Glitter. Or maybe someone with an unfortunate resemblance to him.

Like, in gold platform boots and big shoulder pads with a bare chest? Or the later, bald/goatee'd version?

A woman who sent obscene phone messages to Áras an Uachtaráin, including one in which she threatened to bomb the President if he visited England, has received a suspended five-year sentence.

Anne Fennell (57) referred to President Michael D Higgins as a “ladyboy” on one occasion and on another told Áras an Uachtaráin’s receptionist that “the President and Sabina Higgins would go home in plastic bags if they set foot on English soil”.

She made repeated threats to bomb the President over a number of phone calls in April 2014 and again in October of the same year.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court also heard evidence of a campaign of harassment by Fennell against her parish priest.
The priest received numerous nuisance calls from Fennell and she also ordered taxis and takeaways to his home. ...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...-to-bomb-the-president-is-sentenced-1.2872380

People at my local supermarket

The Morbs - Two very large teenagers/early twenty somethings obviously brother and sister and a skinny mum/enabler who buys them lots of ice cream, chocolate and sugar drinks at 07:30 in the morning. They always start eating the chocolate before leaving the building.

Captain Zod - An elderly gentleman tall and very skinny who is often caught standing still as if listening to something. He walks like he has syphilis and gets alarmed by unattended shopping trolleys.

Dr Blind - A blind guy who looks like kurtwood Smith. I sometimes don't think he's actually blind.

There was a very scary lady on my bus a couple of weeks ago, probably quite ill.

She looked kind of like a Saddhu and was the right ethnicity for it, dirty clothes, dreadlocked/matted hair, the weird part was she was doing something with a tube of Deep Heat rub that had stunk the entire downstairs of the bus to high heaven with it. :eek:

There was a very scary lady on my bus a couple of weeks ago, probably quite ill.

She looked kind of like a Saddhu and was the right ethnicity for it, dirty clothes, dreadlocked/matted hair, the weird part was she was doing something with a tube of Deep Heat rub that had stunk the entire downstairs of the bus to high heaven with it. :eek:

Having accidentally smeared it on my penis once before a fun run I can say that it isn't quite as bad as you'd think.

Having accidentally smeared it on my penis once before a fun run I can say that it isn't quite as bad as you'd think.

So that's merely very, very bad then ? As opposed to extremely bad, terribly bad, etc.

This man had very strong hair .. and a cricket jumper ..

This man had very strong hair .. and a cricket jumper ..

This is what he looks like now!
e704f868a87ce6ea7ae77341f1ffb3bb.jpg

People at my local supermarket

The Morbs - Two very large teenagers/early twenty somethings obviously brother and sister and a skinny mum/enabler who buys them lots of ice cream, chocolate and sugar drinks at 07:30 in the morning. They always start eating the chocolate before leaving the building.

Captain Zod - An elderly gentleman tall and very skinny who is often caught standing still as if listening to something. He walks like he has syphilis and gets alarmed by unattended shopping trolleys.

Dr Blind - A blind guy who looks like kurtwood Smith. I sometimes don't think he's actually blind.
'Shotgun' Maggie

I didn't give her the nickname, Cromer locals did (with affection) because she'd had a physically violent husband, snapped and shot him with a shotgun .. she served a long time in prison for it but no one blanked her when she returned to our town because he'd clearly had it coming .. she was perhaps in her mid 70's to 80 years of age when I got to know her, I was her barman ... she'd come in dressed young and funky, multi coloured hair and with every fingernail painted a different colour .. sort of like Cyndi Lauper's Grandma if you can imagine that. She used to like telling me saucy jokes, would only ever drink half a lager and was always very bubbly and fun :).

she was doing something with a tube of Deep Heat rub that had stunk the entire downstairs of the bus to high heaven with it. :eek:
Oh good grief, that was implicated strongly (but contentiously) as being a causitive factor in the infamous Ramirez 'Toxic Woman' case. Lots of people here on the board will know about this.

That was Dimethyl Sulphoxide (or dimethyl salicilate, conc oil of wintergreen derivative, a component within industrial concentration levels of 'Deep Heat' types of topically-applied creams) addictively over-applied, then being idiopathically-hyperoxidised in vivo into becoming the battlefield killer gas Dimethyl Sulphate (DMSO-> DMSO2 ->DMSO4), this putative reaction path being theoretically enabled via radical perfusion therapies that were semi-concurrent with unconventional aggressive attempts at cardioversion via multiple defib sessions pre/peri-mortem.

Or it was just group hysteria...(hmm)

Last edited:
Our town appears to have a new member of the strange folk community. We call him Camo Guy. He dresses entirely in camouflage, even down to his headgear. He drives a camouflage station wagon which is, notably, draped in moss.
Despite all the camo, you can't help but notice him. Which pretty much defeats the purpose, IMO.

My husband has spoken to him but hasn't yet learned anything regarding his unusual style. I'm wondering if he isn't living down near the caves by the river, where strange folk sometimes camp over the winter months. It might explain wanting to blend in to the landscape, at least.

Despite all the camo, you can't help but notice him. Which pretty much defeats the purpose, IMO.

There's an old hippy floating around Leeds like that, only he says he purposely wears camoflage to be seen. :D He did also tell me once that a paradox was something you put down the toilet.

There's a younger camo guy that's local to me who I don't know, I think he might actually be a survivalist or 'prepper' as some call themselves. When we got flooded over Christmas 2015 he was out with his canoe.

We [metal detectorists] in Australia have stopped wearing cammo gear when we detect for gold - worn to stop thugs seeing and robbing us -, because our state Government has allowed weekend shooters into State Parks - we now wear bright red.

He's limbering up for the world's most excruciating circumcision?

"To sedate you, señor, would be an affront to your manhood!" :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Yesterday the coffee place we usually have a drink at was full so we went to do the shopping first.
When we came back there were only about 3 tables occupied, leaving about 12.
We went to the side with none sitting and sat right at the back near the wood half wall, with a pillar close to the back.
They had put a table beside the pillar next to the wall but I thought at the time it would have been near impossible to get in and out if anyone was sitting where we were.
Anyway was talking to my daughter when I felt the trolley , which was next to me, being pushed forward and the back of my chair being waggled.
It was some woman who had to climb over to get into that space.
I said to my daughter that I wondered why when there were so many tables unoccupied and the woman, who must have heard said that she always put her trolley outside to which I replied that I didn't choose to.
My daughter wanted to move but I told her we were going to finish our coffee..

Yesterday the coffee place we usually have a drink at was full so we went to do the shopping first.
When we came back there were only about 3 tables occupied, leaving about 12.
We went to the side with none sitting and sat right at the back near the wood half wall, with a pillar close to the back.
They had put a table beside the pillar next to the wall but I thought at the time it would have been near impossible to get in and out if anyone was sitting where we were.
Anyway was talking to my daughter when I felt the trolley , which was next to me, being pushed forward and the back of my chair being waggled.
It was some woman who had to climb over to get into that space.
I said to my daughter that I wondered why when there were so many tables unoccupied and the woman, who must have heard said that she always put her trolley outside to which I replied that I didn't choose to.
My daughter wanted to move but I told her we were going to finish our coffee..

like a shopping trolley??

Back