• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Vapour Trail

Dave landfill

12th Earl of Landfillshire
My wife looked up from doing her make-up at around 07:40 monday to see this odd looking vapour trail to the south. (The bright object is just a reflection on the bedroom window btw). A couple of rational explainations spring to mind, but it's still not like any others I've personally seen...

20181006_081732.jpg

Not entirely sure why this appears so notably odd to you. Re the closest vapour-trail: the aircraft has flown from right to left, then changed its heading 60deg to starboard on what will almost-certainly be a standard flight-path. There is a possibility that since the change in direction is substantial, the aircraft is preparing to descend in preparation for landing (if the picture was taken within 5nm of an airport).

Alternatively, if the aircraft is still in full travel, it may have changed path as per its expected flight-plan airway transition between one flight information region and another (ie at an airway node/reporting point, without changing flight level)

Perspective makes the asymptotic path thereafter (into the horizon) look as if the aircraft has flown into the ground.

Weather conditions are excellent, winds at 10,000ft plus appear to be almost nil. Some dissipation of the trail taper is evident, due to a localised high-altitude crosswind.

Or do I miss your point completely?

ps the other latent trails testify to the static weather conditions
pps I wish this had all been about the gleaming Tardis-like object. Are you sure it was just a reflection? :actw::embryo:

Ok. If we Ignore the obvious; that the vapour trail has just changed direction of travel from east-west and gone south, and hasn't just dropped vertically as we...(ahem)...I mean my wife had rather foolishly thought... what is the strange glowing object I...my wife wrongly identified as a reflection of our bedroom light?
I shall of course be offering my resignation first thing Monday morning.
Sorry everyone.:sorry::pipe:

Last edited:
what is the strange glowing object I...my wife wrongly identified as a reflection of our bedroom light? ...

??? ... Are you saying the illuminated object was actually outside, in the sky?

Reflection on the inside of the bedroom* window is exactly what I would have suggested absent any cueing, and it's still the most obvious explanation (IMHO).

(* Or are you going to disavow the original room ID, too? :evillaugh: )

Hmm....
2018-10-06 13.48.13.jpg

I see what looks very like the twin-register imagery resulting from a photograph taken indoors, through a double-glazed window.

The ratio of width:height is broadly-
consistent with a folded fluorescent light-bulb>>
2018-10-06 13.51.36.png

...and the colour spectrum is also close.

Your stated cardinal orientation points place the time this picture was taken as being at sunrise, not sunset (the low sun angle makes it feel like a morning or fine evening shot, but until you told us the aircraft was headed south, I did think it was approaching sunset.....hence the bedroom light being on....but you're saying that's wrong? This picture was taken in the morning?)

Don't resign.

But also: don't contact the press about this picture, or you might receive a visit from the MIB (that's the Mundane Imagery Bureau)

Happy to be disagreed with- as ever

Hmm....
View attachment 12158
I see what looks very like the twin-register imagery resulting from a photograph taken indoors, through a double-glazed window.

The ratio of width:height is broadly-
consistent with a folded fluorescent light-bulb>>
View attachment 12159
...and the colour spectrum is also close.

Your stated cardinal orientation points place the time this picture was taken as being at sunrise, not sunset (the low sun angle makes it feel like a morning or fine evening shot, but until you told us the aircraft was headed south, I did think it was approaching sunset.....hence the bedroom light being on....but you're saying that's wrong? This picture was taken in the morning?)

Don't resign.

But also: don't contact the press about this picture, or you might receive a visit from the MIB (that's the Mundane Imagery Bureau)

Happy to be disagreed with- as ever
OP did call it a reflection on the bedroom window, so no mystery there.

OP did call it a reflection on the bedroom window, so no mystery there.

But he turned around in post #3 and indicated it wasn't a reflection as he'd originally stated ... :dunno:

But he turned around in post #3 and indicated it wasn't a reflection as he'd originally stated ... :dunno:
Sometimes I read through threads too fast. I still think it is a reflection.

It may be a light reflection within the camera, rather than a reflection of a light within the room.
What kind of camera was used?

Lmao did you think that trail showed a plane heading down to the ground?

As for the light, I think he knows its a reflection and is just trying to distract us from the arse he's made of this thread :joint:

I like to think that's what the Tardis looks like, in flight. Something about moving between timestreams causing polarity of the neutron flow. Or something.

I was driving yesterday around 07:30 and noticed the sky was a crystal blue, but marked by a surprising number of vapour trails criss-crossing it.
This morning, on our local neighbourhood network, several forumists remarked on the same thing. It was as if every flight out of Heathrow and/or Gatwick were converging over us. Some even took photos:

trail1.png

trail2.png

trail3.png

I was driving yesterday around 07:30 and noticed the sky was a crystal blue, but marked by a surprising number of vapour trails criss-crossing it.
This morning, on our local neighbourhood network, several forumists remarked on the same thing. It was as if every flight out of Heathrow and/or Gatwick were converging over us. Some even took photos:

View attachment 54208

View attachment 54209
View attachment 54210
One assumes it was about the weather conditions. The trails were preserved for a little longer than usual.
We see similar now and then when we're out cycling in Cheshire. As I know which direction the airports are in I can tell where they've come from.

Cheshire chemtrails are famous among conspiracy theorists.

My wife looked up from doing her make-up at around 07:40 monday to see this odd looking vapour trail to the south. (The bright object is just a reflection on the bedroom window btw). A couple of rational explainations spring to mind, but it's still not like any others I've personally seen...

View attachment 12146
I live near an airforce base and see those kinds of trails all the time.

Coastal USA here, this happens here sometimes. It's definitely angles (but then again, if you haven't happened to run into a weather day like that, features can be very strange. Anticrepuscular rays are especially weird!)

The contrails have just started reappearing over us after Covid-related travel shutdowns. Previously I took little notice of them; now they're almost back to being a novelty.

Back