• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

When I read the news last week about the fine and costs, I said to my colleagues that there was finally some good news about Katie Hopkins. And they all asked whether she'd dies. She really is a vile piece of inhumanity (I'm a journalist and reckon I could justify that comment in court, purely by quoting any nmuber of her pensées).
Still, her existence means we have some semblance of free speech left.

Still, her existence means we have some semblance of free speech left.

It should be pointed out that Hopkins was censured for, effectively, lying about another individual on a public platform - not for exercising her legitmate right to free speech: libel and freedom of speech are not, never have been, and never should be, synonymous.

I have absolutely no problem with people saying things I don't necessarily believe myself; I actually enjoy reading the stuff - part of the whole rough and tumble of democracy is being given an argument you can actually engage with from an opposing point of view. But uninformed, unsupported, bilious drivel, for its own sake, is the lowest common denominator of free speech. There are much better exemplors of that freedom on all sides of the political spectrum - and, personally, I believe that the day a vile individual like Hopkins becomes the litmus test for the health of our freedom of speech is the day we know we've lost it, and need to pack up the planet and post it to the sun.

Last edited:
I don't think Hopkins exists.

She's a CGI construct designed to drum up headlines.

I'm sure that someone could muster a vile, inappropriate, 'withering' comment on that. Surely it what she would do.

A tragic GP who had a “sixth sense” for diagnosing illness has died suddenly after failing to spot he had life-threatening sepsis.

Shiv Sekaran, 48, passed away after the immune system attacking infection led his kidneys to fail last Saturday (March 11).

His death from sepsis comes just a week after the government issued new NHS guidelines on treating the condition within one hour of symptoms being spotted. ...

http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/mu...s-failing-spot-life-threatening-sepsis/17/03/

^^^ I find these sort of deaths doubly tragic - someone who presumably had a great deal to give just taken away. Lets hope he had achieved everything he was sent into the world for.

(CNN) A fire broke out at a church owned by a white supremacist in North Dakota, leaving only the steeple standing and the rest of the property in charred ruins.

White supremacist Craig Cobb is listed on the deed of the Zion Lutheran Church in Nome, North Dakota, CNN affiliate KVRR reported.

The Barnes County Sheriff's Office told the affiliate that it received reports about the fire Wednesday afternoon, but by the time firefighters arrived at the scene, the church was engulfed in flames.

Cobb bought the church this year, according to the affiliate. It's unclear whether he lived in the church. ...

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/23/u...t-church-fire1037AMVODtopLink&linkId=35759716

A National Rifle Association employee accidentally shot himself while trying to holster his gun during a training exercise at the association's headquarters in Virginia, according to police.

No charges are expected, although the 46-year-old employee was taken to the hospital to be treated for a minor wound to his lower body.

The incident happened Thursday afternoon inside the NRA's firing range. ...

http://wjla.com/news/offbeat/nra-em...ts-himself-while-training-at-nra-headquarters

Kentucky Coal Museum installs solar panels to save on electricity bills
Associated PressPublished: April 6, 2017, 9:05 pm

FRANKFORT, KY (AP) – Don’t look to the Kentucky Coal Museum to bring coal back.

The museum is installing solar panels on its roof, part of a project aimed at lowering the energy costs of one of the city’s largest electric customers. It’s also a symbol of the state’s efforts to move away from coal as its primary energy source as more coal-fired power plants are replaced by natural gas. The state legislature recently lifted its decades-old ban on nuclear power.

“It’s a little ironic or coincidental that you are putting solar green energy on a coal museum,” said Roger Noe, a former state representative who sponsored the legislation that created the coal museum. “Coal comes from nature, the sun rays come from nature so it all works out to be a positive thing.”

The museum is in Benham, once a coal camp town whose population peaked at about 3,000, according to 85-year-old Mayor Wanda Humphrey. Today, it has about 500 people, and Humphrey says she is the mayor because no one else wants the job. ...

http://nbc4i.com/2017/04/06/kentucky-coal-museum-installs-solar-panels-to-save-on-electricity-bills/

I'm not exactly an Islamo-fanboy but the EDL, who want to ban the burka because it "hides your face", sell branded balaclavas.

C9HslTcWsAE0Vyl.jpg

A National Rifle Association employee accidentally shot himself while trying to holster his gun during a training exercise at the association's headquarters in Virginia, according to police.

No charges are expected, although the 46-year-old employee was taken to the hospital to be treated for a minor wound to his lower body.

The incident happened Thursday afternoon inside the NRA's firing range. ...

http://wjla.com/news/offbeat/nra-em...ts-himself-while-training-at-nra-headquarters
Sheesh, that article didnt even answer the important question for NRA members, "was the gun ok"?

Is that really her bike? Seems a bit too big. I think she just ripped off some poor guy.
I reckon it's about right for her - it's a smallish-looking frame (see where the top-tube and down-tube meet the head-tube) with very little seatpost showing, and the saddle is about level with her hips/waist which looks about right. And a lot of people ride bikes that are the wrong size. It's one of my bugbears!

I reckon so too. When sat on the seat, the leg should be just less than fully extended when the pedal is at its lowest point.

Is that really her bike? Seems a bit too big. I think she just ripped off some poor guy.

She reckons she made sure it was hers. I could certainly identify any of my bikes by the modifications we've made to them. You only need to change minor things like handlebar grips to make them identifiable. Also, it could have had a number stamped under the frame which she could easily check once she was round the corner.

I'm not exactly an Islamo-fanboy but the EDL, who want to ban the burka because it "hides your face", sell branded balaclavas...

The EDL also do a white balaclava which makes the wearer look like they have a pair of underpants wrapped around their head.

Seriously - I'm not just saying that because I think the EDL are a bunch of hopeless wankers; they really do look like undergarments for people with some kind of bizarre physical condition.

Here we go.

Given how a lot of that mass produced custom embroidered kit is manufactured I think there's maybe a chance that the things were made by a bunch of poor migrant workers who’s downtrodden lives were momentarily illuminated with hilarity as they imagined the ugly, pig-eyed white bedwetters who were soon to be wearing the product they had made out of old nappies scavenged from a Mumbai landfill, bleached in camel piss and embroidered with converted needles swept from the floor of an Indonesian heroin addicts rehabilitation centre .

She reckons she made sure it was hers. I could certainly identify any of my bikes by the modifications we've made to them. You only need to change minor things like handlebar grips to make them identifiable. Also, it could have had a number stamped under the frame which she could easily check once she was round the corner.
I was going for the irony angle!

Paranoid Camborne cannabis dealer Kane Spargo called police to home where he stashed drugs
By G_WIlkinson | Posted: June 04, 2017

A cannabis smoker and dealer who was so paranoid that someone was hiding in his attic called police to his house where they found £1,200 worth of the drug.
Officers were unable to find any intruder but did detect a strong smell of drugs and a court heard how they found a stash of 127 grams of cannabis and £730 in cash.

Kane Thomas Spargo, of Chapel Close, Tuckingmill, Camborne, was then arrested and found himself before a judge at Truro Crown Court.
The 33-year-old unemployed plumber pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis with intent to supply.

The court heard how Spargo had called police on August 22 last year after he returned home and thought he heard someone in his attic.
A pre-sentence report prepared for the sentencing hearing said Spargo had a drugs habit himself and suffered from associated side effects, including paranoia.
Judge Simon Carr said: "Anyone who calls the police to a house where they are storing drugs clearly has a problem."

etc...

http://www.cornwalllive.com/paranoi...tashed-drugs/story-30368320-detail/story.html

'Unemployed plumber'. If I had experience as a plumber, I wouldn't be unemployed. I'd be self employed!

Back