• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Arizona psychic injured after car hit restaurant jokes he 'didn't foresee it happening'

A psychic medium from Litchfield Park is recovering after being hit by a car that struck a window in a Ontario, Canada, restaurant where he was eating May 30, 2017. ...

Blair Robertson recalls the moment a white Lexus crashed through the front window of a restaurant in Canada, launching the psychic medium into the air and pinning him against a wall.

"I didn't foresee it happening."

Litchfield Park resident Robertson, 51, jokes about the May 30 accident even as he is recovering from injuries.

He was having lunch with a mentor and fellow psychic when the car plowed through the window at Silks Country Kitchen in Virgil, Ontario. Robertson and his friend were seated at a table by the window. ...

FULL STORY: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...e-didnt-see-coming-litchfield-park/378599001/

I'm not sure about this...where's the irony?

where's the irony?
800px-The_cow_pock.jpg

Vaccination is called that because it was originally developed from observations about the immunity of milkmaids to smallpox.

Milkmaids were traditionally prettier than other girls, possibly because they were rarely disfigured by smallpox.
They usually caught a mild disease called cowpox from the cattle which is a close enough relation to smallpox to give them immunity. The great Edward Jenner pioneered 'vaccination', i.e. infecting humans with a cow disease, to protect them from smallpox and it worked.

There had been other successful prevention methods, notably ones learned in the colonies by military families. Making children snort crushed-up smallpox scabs was one, which was promoted by an English military wife.

Lifestyle blogger Rebecca Burger killed by 'exploding whipped cream dispenser'
A popular French lifestyle blogger has been killed in a freak accident involving an exploding whipped cream dispenser.
The death of Rebecca Burger, 32, was announced on social media by her family in a post on her Instagram page.
Written in French, the message warned people about the allegedly faulty dispenser, saying it had "exploded and struck Rebecca's thorax, resulting in her death". The post also warned people of "defective" products:
"Do not use this kind of utensil in your home!" it said.

According to some reports, a French consumer group had warned people of faulty dispensers that can break at an immense velocity.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/hea...-whipped-cream-dispenser-20170622-gww5y4.html

Milkmaids were traditionally prettier than other girls, possibly because they were rarely disfigured by smallpox.
They usually caught a mild disease called cowpox from the cattle which is a close enough relation to smallpox to give them immunity.
See milkmaids in "The Art of Angling" by Isaac Walton, c. 1663-1676 (depending on the edition). Of course he may just have been a dirty old man, perhaps not in Pepys' league though.

"Do not use this kind of utensil in your home!" is advice that the British have taken to heart. The capsules, however, are strangely popular and litter the streets.

Searching for "Dangers Whipped Cream" brings up endless warnings about the cult of inhaling the gas but nothing in English about the machines exploding before the Burger case. In the account above, the hazard warning is attributed vaguely to "a French consumer group."

It is here identified as the French National Consumer Institute (INC)

That site states there were two previous machine related incidents in France in 2014.

I was initially sceptical about the existence of Rebecca Burger as news of her death has overwhelmed other stuff. She seems to have had a presence mainly in social media. I then found this interview from 2014. RIP. :(

Min Bannister has posted this BBC version of the story in Strange Deaths.

Some more detail of horrid injuries sustained in the earlier accidents. The danger seems to be restricted to machines manufactured before 2015.

Last edited:
It's a weird arrangement they have in America.
Force a business to close down because it 'doesn't have enough lawn to mow', based on some arbitrary planning regulation?
:huh:

I dont get it, so they didnt have enough lawn to mow, but was it not other peoples lawns it was going to mow, not their own, well yea their own, but the business was mowing other peoples, so they would have had enough to mow>
Its probably a case of other petty little people getting bored with talking about what biscuits they should eat or what can they spend the publics money on

I dont get it, so they didnt have enough lawn to mow, but was it not other peoples lawns it was going to mow, not their own, well yea their own, but the business was mowing other peoples, so they would have had enough to mow>
Its probably a case of other petty little people getting bored with talking about what biscuits they should eat or what can they spend the publics money on
They've got a lot of regulations that are really designed to generate tax revenue for local government.
'Zoning' is one of those. Another one is a law forbidding people from collecting rainwater that falls on their property.

So the neighbours are jealous of success?

So the neighbours are jealous of success?

My guess is that it's an area that's evolving into an upper-scale residential neighborhood, and the residents don't like having a commercial business operating there. It was a neighborhood resident who subdivided his home / business property into 2 parcels and sold the business chunk to the Mr. Gammon who's now on the receiving end of all the complaints. There's mention of 'grandfathering', which might imply this earlier landowner was only allowed to operate the business there because it had existed prior to whatever the most recent situation may be.

ISIS bans women from wearing burkas after chiefs attacked by veiled assassins
SEPTEMBER 7, 20163:07PM
13564a897584dc6880e26a7b7f5a2ee3

ISIS has backflipped on a decree that all women should wear burkas after veiled assasins attacked terrorist chiefs. Picture: AFP

Staff writerNews Corp Australia Network

ISIS has backflipped on a decree ordering all women to wear burkas.

In a bizarre turn of events, Islamic State fighters are now banning women from wearing burkas in security centres in the northern Iraqi city of Monsul and have declared the full-face veils are now a security risk.

According to The Express, an insider told Al Alam News Network that terrorist chiefs had changed their mind following a string of attacks on ISIS commanders by women wearing burkas and niqabs in recent months.

12de66cbb60c09865a352e0a876164ad

ISIS have now banned women from wearing burkas in security centres in the Iraqi city of Monsul. Picture: Yunus Keles/Anadolu Agency/Getty ImagesSource:Supplied

.... http://www.news.com.au/world/middle...s/news-story/5356534a06f3213389835f34281ecf80

My feelings as well! I was about to Tweet it when I noticed its almost a year old! Tweeted it last year.
Didn't notice it was that old, but I guess ISIS have been thrown out of Mosul by now.

National front organiser quits and talks about Jewish heritage and comes out as gay. https://www.channel4.com/news/neo-n...omes-out-as-gay-kevin-wilshaw-jewish-heritage
No surprises, but it is encouraging that even these supposed basket cases can be turned around under the right circumstances and pathological treatment.

Just reading the article below that only focuses on the damage active prejudice does to the LGBT folks, and not on how that same prejudice is also causing a severe mental fuck-up inside the heads of these so-called faith leaders themselves. There is plenty of literature which exposes what has become very common knowledge known about the proponents of racism and homophobia for decades already - rabid vocal / active hatred is regularly a desperate attempt to mask their own internal struggle with who they really are. These people are sick and need to be removed from public life for some serious heart repair.

Study on mental health impacts of anti-gay religious prejudice should be a 'wake-up call' for faith leaders
By Sarah Malik
Posted 58 minutes ago

Faith leaders who insist same-sex couples should not be able to marry — even those who also promote love and support for LGB people — may be causing serious harm to the mental health of LGB individuals, the author of a new study on the impacts of religious anti-gay prejudice has said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-19/anti-gay-religious-prejudice-study-mental-health/9061606

Back