• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

I've always thought that no matter how clever the design, junctions that complex must be incredibly dangerous! Surely, all that lane changing required increases risk?
Weaving causes the biggest issues really, but a lot of junctions have been modified to remove that issue.

As long as everything is well signed (and you presumably know where you're going) it really isn't (or shouldn't) be a problem to navigate.

My daughter who works for a supermarket was on self serve which she hates as there are always so many people wanting help and all at the same time.
There was a young man she helped several times, reminding him to scan all the things in his trolley then another person needed her help and he took off without paying.
However he had put his card through which had insufficient funds and all his information was there.

I have installed a free Solitaire game on my lappie. When I wake in the morning, I like a game or six to get the 'little grey cells' going.
Me too! I like https://worldofsolitaire.com/
I've heard that China is feeling a few struggles in economy but I'd have expected it have a bit more delicacy.
China's economy has been slowing since COVID, which isn't an issue unless you consider how much every government and company around the world has become indebted to China, it's not hard to imagine what will happen if their economy stumbles. If that happens, we can all kiss our pensions goodbye.

Last edited:
Haven't been behind the wheel of a commercial bus in decades. I loved the job, but I was single and pretty much never home. I have a couple of buses of my own now, both built originally as motorhomes. That's an expensive hobby that I've only recently indulged, and I'll probably get it out of my system soon enough. Lots of fun though.

Back when I was a bus driver, I used to say Florida had the worst drivers. They seemed to be completely nuts. Clueless. Even maliciously stupid. We don't see many Florida plates around here. New Mexico drivers are bad enough. And the texans...:roll:
I've often read how Floridian drivers are the worst in America - (according to other Americans) - some reasons given are that there are many people there from different countries who all have different ideas of 'road rules' and a large elderly population, from the North East especially.

Inmate breaks out of Hawaii jail, becomes victim of hit-and-run just moments later

Matthew J. Ornellas Jr. escaped from Kauai Community Correctional Center just after 1 a.m., the Hawaii Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said. Moments later, he was running along Kuhio Highway and was struck by a vehicle.

Correctional officers ultimately found Ornellas about 100 yards from the jail. He was seriously injured in the incident and was subsequently hospitalized.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/inmate-breaks-out-hawaii-jail-becomes-victim-hit-run-just-moments-later

maximus otter

Screenshot_20240324_134414_X.jpg

'Should have gone to Specsavers' taunt as optician's van gets stuck on bollard

Specsavers van driver might have needed a visit to his own opticians after his vehicle was seen stuck on a bollard in the UK.

0_specsavers.jpg

The van had been lifted by a hidden bollard, with a sign nearby warning: "CAUTION. Automatic bollards in operation. NO PARKING."

Aidan, a software developer from Galway, Ireland, shared a photo of the van, joking: "Should have gone to...Oh, wait."

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/motoring/should-gone-specsavers-taunt-opticians-28878977

maximus otter

'Should have gone to Specsavers' taunt as optician's van gets stuck on bollard

Specsavers van driver might have needed a visit to his own opticians after his vehicle was seen stuck on a bollard in the UK.

0_specsavers.jpg

The van had been lifted by a hidden bollard, with a sign nearby warning: "CAUTION. Automatic bollards in operation. NO PARKING."

Aidan, a software developer from Galway, Ireland, shared a photo of the van, joking: "Should have gone to...Oh, wait."

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/motoring/should-gone-specsavers-taunt-opticians-28878977

maximus otter
It was all a publicity stunt.

Inmate breaks out of Hawaii jail, becomes victim of hit-and-run just moments later

Matthew J. Ornellas Jr. escaped from Kauai Community Correctional Center just after 1 a.m., the Hawaii Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said. Moments later, he was running along Kuhio Highway and was struck by a vehicle.

Correctional officers ultimately found Ornellas about 100 yards from the jail. He was seriously injured in the incident and was subsequently hospitalized.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/inmate-breaks-out-hawaii-jail-becomes-victim-hit-run-just-moments-later

maximus otter

Update: He’s dead.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

maximus otter

There was an incident many years ago when an inmate escaped from an open prison in the North West. He managed to get 10 yards from the boundary of the prison before being killed on the road by a drunk driver. Said inmate was inside for drink driving.
Sounds like Karma.
What goes around, comes around... etc.

Well, I for one think that the U.N. is not fit for purpose, that original purpose being to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation, and serve as a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations.
In fairness, the goal was noble but it didn't take into account that to maintain autonomy for their country, leaders must consider national issues over the concern for the world. It was inevitable that there'd be self-serving leaders making their own alliances and decisions regardless of 'the greater good'.
And that's a lot of the reasons why Woodrow Wilson, when he dreamed up what became the UN, refused to let the US join it. He knew it would become a shit show.

That's the problem - all have to work to the 'dream' or none at all. All it takes is for the big players such as the US, Russia or China to make it worthless since they can puppet the organisation by proxy 'allies'.

Back