• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

The Wrath of Khan?

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, an ambassador for King Charles' British Asian Trust anti-violence charity, has admitted assaulting a band member.
Khan was filmed raining blows on the man and dragging him around by his hair during the brutal attack, accusing his hapless victim of having lost his bottle of "spiritual water".

View attachment 73378

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...al-attack-hotel-student-hit-no-objection.html
If this is how he thinks he has the right to inflict pain on someone who is a 'pupil,' then he should think about how he is going to punish himself!
I guess that now that this video has been circulated, then it will come to pass ~ but maybe in an unexpected form.

When people used to say 'It's not 1984 yet!' and then it came and now it's gone and it's here. :nods:

Attachments

• Orwell sign.jpeg
    Orwell sign.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 34
When people used to say 'It's not 1984 yet!' and then it came and now it's gone and it's here. :nods:
Have they just fitted that?
Looking at Google Streetview doesn't show a camera.

Pope Francis in new interview: “No one is scandalized if I give my blessing to an entrepreneur who perhaps exploits people: and this is a very serious sin. But they get scandalized if I give it to a homosexual….This is hypocrisy!”

I like this pope :)

The Pope said that? Wow! There may be hope for humanity after all.

"N'yerse."
"I don't accept reality." That is an absolutely marvelous clip!

A Ukrainian drone hit a distillery in the Kursk region. What a particularly dastardly attack...

1708198509895.png

"I will not accept that it's a highly dangerous road"​

How do you suddenly skid off of a straight road?!!? In daylight?!!? At not very high speed?!!?

And what are all those traffic pylons doing there anyway?!!?

How do you suddenly skid off of a straight road?!!? In daylight?!!? At not very high speed?!!?

And what are all those traffic pylons doing there anyway?!!?
Nothing whatsoever to do with the road being dangerous.

Purely and simply, people driving too fast and too close together (notice the car brakes at 0.32 and at 0.34 how close they were to hitting the the car in front) and also at 0.34 how close the second car was to the first one, very nearly hitting it as it span off.

0.38-0.40 look at the speed that the third and fourth idiots come barrelling in.

Also compounded by rubber-necking due to the cameras.

The traffic pylons/cones are there for the workers who have installed/are installing the new barriers.

The Greek Minister of Culture, Lina Mendoni, expressed her anger late on Saturday after a London Fashion week show took place in front of the Parthenon Marbles at the British Museum.

New York magazine's financial advice consultant scammed into handing $50K to stranger:

The Day I Put $50,000 in a Shoe Box and Handed It to a Stranger

I never thought I was the kind of person to fall for a scam.
On a Tuesday evening this past October, I put $50,000 in cash in a shoe box, taped it shut as instructed, and carried it to the sidewalk in front of my apartment, my phone clasped to my ear. “Don’t let anyone hurt me,” I told the man on the line, feeling pathetic.

“You won’t be hurt,” he answered. “Just keep doing exactly as I say.”

Three minutes later, a white Mercedes SUV pulled up to the curb. “The back window will open,” said the man on the phone. “Do not look at the driver or talk to him. Put the box through the window, say ‘thank you,’ and go back inside.”

The man on the phone knew my home address, my Social Security number, the names of my family members, and that my 2-year-old son was playing in our living room. He told me my home was being watched, my laptop had been hacked, and we were in imminent danger. “I can help you, but only if you cooperate,” he said. His first orders: I could not tell anyone about our conversation, not even my spouse, or talk to the police or a lawyer.

Now I know this was all a scam — a cruel and violating one but painfully obvious in retrospect. Here’s what I can’t figure out: Why didn’t I just hang up and call 911? Why didn’t I text my husband, or my brother (a lawyer), or my best friend (also a lawyer), or my parents, or one of the many other people who would have helped me? Why did I hand over all that money — the contents of my savings account, strictly for emergencies — without a bigger fight?

Etc...

https://www.thecut.com/article/amazon-scam-call-ftc-arrest-warrants.html

maximus otter

New York magazine's financial advice consultant scammed into handing $50K to stranger:

The Day I Put $50,000 in a Shoe Box and Handed It to a Stranger

I never thought I was the kind of person to fall for a scam.
On a Tuesday evening this past October, I put $50,000 in cash in a shoe box, taped it shut as instructed, and carried it to the sidewalk in front of my apartment, my phone clasped to my ear. “Don’t let anyone hurt me,” I told the man on the line, feeling pathetic.

“You won’t be hurt,” he answered. “Just keep doing exactly as I say.”

Three minutes later, a white Mercedes SUV pulled up to the curb. “The back window will open,” said the man on the phone. “Do not look at the driver or talk to him. Put the box through the window, say ‘thank you,’ and go back inside.”

The man on the phone knew my home address, my Social Security number, the names of my family members, and that my 2-year-old son was playing in our living room. He told me my home was being watched, my laptop had been hacked, and we were in imminent danger. “I can help you, but only if you cooperate,” he said. His first orders: I could not tell anyone about our conversation, not even my spouse, or talk to the police or a lawyer.

Now I know this was all a scam — a cruel and violating one but painfully obvious in retrospect. Here’s what I can’t figure out: Why didn’t I just hang up and call 911? Why didn’t I text my husband, or my brother (a lawyer), or my best friend (also a lawyer), or my parents, or one of the many other people who would have helped me? Why did I hand over all that money — the contents of my savings account, strictly for emergencies — without a bigger fight?

Etc...

https://www.thecut.com/article/amazon-scam-call-ftc-arrest-warrants.html

maximus otter
Obviously playing on fear.

Mum-of-six who gave parenting advice on YouTube charged with child abuse

Ruby Franke, 41, who ran the popular YouTube account '8 Passengers', has been charged with six counts of felony child abuse by the Washington County Attorney in Utah. It comes after she and business partner, Jodi Hildebrandt, were arrested last week after Franke's 12-year-old son escaped Hildebrandt's home through a window and ran to a neighbour for help, according to a probable cause affidavit obtained by NBC.

The young boy was found emaciated, with open wounds and duct tape on his wrists and ankles. According to the affidavit, Franke and husband Kevin Franke's 10-year-old daughter was also found at Hildebrandt's home in a similar malnourished condition.

The children were in such a severe condition that they were transported to a local hospital, said officials. Franke's four other children have been taken into the care of Utah's Division of Child and Family Services.

Update.

Mum-of-six Ruby Franke was sentenced to four consecutive sentences of one to 15 years in prison on Tuesday afternoon after pleading guilty to aggravated child abuse of two of her kids.

If she receives the maximum sentence, Franke faces 60 years in jail. The Utah Board of Pardons and Parole will determine the total number of years.

Ahead of her sentencing, Franke broke down in tears as she stood and addressed Judge John Walton.

‘I was led to believe this world was an evil place filled with church leaders that lie and molest… and children who need abuse,’ she said. ‘My choice to believe this led to criminal behavior.’

Franke said she was sorry for ‘twisting God’s word and distorting his doctrines’.

Franke continued that she was ‘humbled and willing to serve a prison sentence as long as it takes to continue unraveling all this information I have believed and bought, swallowed and acted out’.

Shortly after Franke’s sentencing, her former business partner, Connexions Classroom founder Jodi Hildebrandt, was also sentenced to four consecutive terms of one to 15 years.

Franke issued a statement admitting to her 'buying in' to Hildebrandt's lunacy and sincerely regretting it all. It looks like she doesn't want to appeal, so she might get a mid-level sentence.
On the other hand ...
Before the sentence hearing, Hildebrandt was on the 'phone to 'a friend' - knowing that the call was being monitored and recorded - decrying the whole trial, stating it was a fit-up job, that she insisted she has done nothing wrong etc. Then, in the hearing, she immediately said she was sincerely contrite and ashamed of her influence over Franke ... so while the judge had to issue the same sentence, I'm not so sure her telephone call wouldn't play a part in her getting a longer term in jail.
The minimum sentence either of them face is only 4 years.

This is not the first time Tony's campaigning has made headlines.
In 2021, the Dutch chocolate brand apologised for deliberately leaving one of its advent calendar windows empty to highlight inequality in the industry. The company said it was meant to be "a great conversation starter for change", but instead it was deluged with complaints from parents who said their children were upset by the missing chocolate behind the window for 8 December.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68375750

Last edited:
Dutch Central Bank suffers billion dollar loss

The Dutch treasury will not receive any profit distribution from De Nederlandsche Bank (DNB) in the coming years. For years, it was customary for billions to flow from the central bank to the treasury, but that will not happen for the time being.

In fact, the Dutch Central Bank is making a loss: 3.5 billion euros last year. The preliminary financial statements show that.

Note: The headline is ironic, but the reasons are mundane and explainable and not worrying.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2510041-de-nederlandsche-bank-lijdt-miljardenverlies-geen-geld-naar-schatkist

Back