• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Deloitte accountants also commit exam fraud

Exam fraud has also been committed at accounting firm Deloitte. Board member Rob Bergmans is resigning from his position because of the fraud.

Last summer, it became clear that over 100 employees at accountancy and consultancy firm KPMG were involved in fraud. Chairman of the board Roger van Boxtel admitted that he had "not completed a training course correctly" and resigned.

Financial Markets Authority (AFM) regulator said it was "shocked and disappointed" by the new case of fraud among accountants, a profession that has to rely on its integrity.

Answers handed over
In the exam fraud, accountants and their employees were fed answers to exam questions. Such an exam could, for instance, be about cybersecurity or integrity. These are mandatory tests for the profession.

Last year, the AFM asked all large accounting firms to investigate internal exam fraud. The regulator checks whether these investigations are done thoroughly.

The AFM and Deloitte are not saying exactly what the new case of exam fraud involves. It remains unclear who committed fraud in what way and when. In a Deloitte press release, outgoing director Bergmans says: "I cannot but conclude that with the most recent insights from the investigation and the facts that have emerged from it, it is not in the organisation's interest for me to stay on as a member of the board of directors or remain associated with Deloitte as a partner."

Exemplary behaviour
It is not yet clear whether there will be further casualties at Deloitte due to the examination rigging. The firm expects to complete its investigation into the exam fraud by the end of this year. The AFM calls on employees within the sector to report abuses.

"Twice in a row it has now emerged that exam fraud also plays a role at the top of large accountancy organisations, precisely where absolute exemplary behaviour can be expected," said AFM executive Hanzo van Beusekom, also in a press release. "This confirms that this is a phenomenon that is more widespread."

Among other things, auditors check whether companies and organisations disclose correct financial information in financial statements. That information is important: companies, governments and investors, among others, base all kinds of economic decisions on it.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2494294-ook-examenfraude-bij-accountants-van-deloitte

1697483836104.png

Philip the Lucky
Philip VI, king of France, 1293–1350
Philip ‘le Bien-Fortune’ was perhaps the unluckiest of all French monarchs. His fleet was crushed in 1340 at the battle of Sluys, his troops humiliated in 1346 at the battle of Crécy and finally, in 1349 and 1350, a quarter of his entire nation was killed by the Black Death.

From this excellent book:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show...y?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=anZpxEeQzi&rank=1

The Good, the Bad and the Unready: The Remarkable Truth Behind History's Strangest Nicknames
Robert Easton

Mum-of-six who gave parenting advice on YouTube charged with child abuse

Ruby Franke, 41, who ran the popular YouTube account '8 Passengers', has been charged with six counts of felony child abuse by the Washington County Attorney in Utah. It comes after she and business partner, Jodi Hildebrandt, were arrested last week after Franke's 12-year-old son escaped Hildebrandt's home through a window and ran to a neighbour for help, according to a probable cause affidavit obtained by NBC.

The young boy was found emaciated, with open wounds and duct tape on his wrists and ankles. According to the affidavit, Franke and husband Kevin Franke's 10-year-old daughter was also found at Hildebrandt's home in a similar malnourished condition.

The children were in such a severe condition that they were transported to a local hospital, said officials. Franke's four other children have been taken into the care of Utah's Division of Child and Family Services.
Yes i listened to the 911 call the other day, how the man who let the child in kept so calm i do not know, disgusting woman and the people who watched her were no better.

Russia renamed its ambitious satellite program after Putin misspoke its name
"So I didn't even make it back and it's already renamed to Sfera."

"At first it was called Ehfir," Putin said. "And at one of my public speeches I was talking and said it was Sfera. I arrived at the Kremlin, and the former Roscosmos head greeted me and said, 'Vladimirovich, you said it was project Sfera, Sfera you said. That's what it is, project Sfera.'"

https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/...al-type=owned&utm_medium=social&utm_brand=ars

Tut tut.

The head of Indonesia's anti-corruption agency has been named as a suspect in an extortion case.

Police said there was enough evidence to link Firli Bahuri, chairman of the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK), to corruption at the country's ministry of agriculture. Former agriculture minister Syahrul Yasin Limpo was himself detained in a corruption case last month. Mr Bahuri, an ex-police chief, has not been detained and denies he is corrupt.

Officers said they had uncovered foreign exchange transaction documents and US dollars worth 7.4bn Indonesian Rupiah ($477,730) in connection with the investigation. Jakarta police official, Ade Safri Simanjuntak, told reporters on Wednesday that "sufficient evidence" had been found to implicate Mr Bahuri in a case of alleged corruption. He added a state official had extorted money at the agriculture ministry from 2020 to 2023, Reuters reported.

A total of 91 witnesses have been interviewed since the case opened in October.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-67509472

I bet the head deserved to be put in a car boot.

The leaders of an anti-bullying motorcycle club in northern France have been arrested on charges of threatening a school headteacher and his deputy.

The president of the Black Shadow North WC club and his wife were questioned by police in the town of Auchel, 65km (40 miles) west of Lille. The alleged offenses - which they deny - include threatening to bundle the headteacher into the boot of a car. The row arose from reports of violence between pupils, prosecutors say.

The Black Shadow North WC club is one of several biker clubs that have emerged in France to combat bullying in recent years. Members accuse police and school officials of not doing enough to tackle the problem. According to health experts, over 10% of French pupils experience bullying by the age of 16.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67600260

Musk - "If X/Twitter fails it's because of the advertising boycott!"
Everyone Else - "Well, that's the point of a boycott; change what you do or we won't give you money."
The Market: "Elon didn't want this product, paid too much for it, acted like an idiot. Elon - you've broke the product!"
Musk: "It's not me! It's everyone else! I'm a geenus!"
Etc. Etc.
The irony?
Musk wanted a 'free' platform to host any 'free' speech. Yep. Fine.
Be free!

Looks familiar, but I could be hallucinating.

A bit beyond mere hypocrisy:
A homelessness outreach worker who went viral for suggesting homeless people were ill-served by handouts faces a new criminal case accusing him of mooching off his city credit card. . . . Dahlgren made a name for himself by uploading interviews with people living on the streets and speaking out in local and national TV interviews again the same system that he had worked in for nearly two decades.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/20...harges-in-alleged-gresham-city-job-fraud.html

Sounds to me like he was doing pretty well in that system he worked in. His salary was $80K a year, plus he'd recently signed a $18K deal as an independent homelessness consultant for another city. Geez, I'd be retired in three years with that kind of money, but he decided he needed to steal even more money by fraudulently using the identity information of homeless people he claimed to be helping.

Back