• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Private Jets Headed To Global Warming Conference "Literally Frozen On Runway"

While world leaders spoke at a 'global warming' conference in Dubai, located in the heart of the Arabian Desert, discussing the usual: banning gas stoves, cow farts, and petrol-powered vehicles, a powerful snowstorm grounded all flights at Munich Airport in Germany.

"Private jets in Munich on the way to Dubai global warming conference are literally frozen on the runway, which has turned into a glacier," said Ryan Maue, a meteorologist and former NOAA chief scientist.

https://www.zerohedge.com/weather/p...al-warming-conference-literally-frozen-runway

It's even funnier than the now-traditional annual "Hosepipe ban announced during rainstorm."

maximus otter

1701611924154.png

I've often remarked that the more money you get, the more you want more. For the rich, they're never rich enough.
This is so true. Here's the story about the discussion about money between the legendary American writers Kurt Vonnegut and Joseph Heller.
Vonnegut later wrote a poem about this conversation.

Kurt Vonnegut and his friend and fellow author, Joseph Heller, went to a party at a billionaire’s mansion in Shelter Island, New York.

They walked in and found themselves in a room filled with artwork by the likes of Monet and Picasso, like an art gallery.

Vonnegut turned to Heller and asked, “How does it make you feel that our host only yesterday may have made more money than your novel, Catch-22, earned in its entire history?”

Heller replied, “Yeah, but I have something he doesn’t have. I have enough.”

Enough - what a treasure. :cool:

"Legendary was Xanadu where Kubla Khan decreed his stately pleasure dome. Today, almost as legendary is Florida's Xanadu, world's largest private pleasure ground. Here, on the deserts of the Gulf Coast, a private mountain was commissioned and successfully built. One hundred thousand trees, twenty thousand tons of marble are the ingredients of Xanadu's mountain. Contents of Xanadu's palace: paintings, pictures, statues, the very stones of many another palace - a collection of everything so big it can never be catalogued or appraised, enough for ten museums - the loot of the world. Xanadu's livestock: the fowl of the air, the fish of the sea, the beast of the field and jungle. Two of each, the biggest private zoo since Noah. Like the pharaohs, Xanadu's landlord leaves many stones to mark his grave. Since the pyramids, Xanadu is the costliest monument a man has built to himself. Here in Xanadu last week, Xanadu's landlord was laid to rest, a potent figure of our century, America's Kubla Khan - Charles Foster Kane."

----------

'Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

For those not in the UK, Stingray was a very popular kiddies puppet type program from the 60's. I don't know if it was ever shown in the US. Wikipedia link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_(1964_TV_series)
Sure - make me go off-topic again!

Stingray was on American TV, but as I remember it didn't reach the popularity of Thunderbirds or Fireball XL-5. We had Supercar and Captain Scarlet, too.

Tik Tok ‘star’ who shared tips on dodging train fares fined for dodging train fares

The unnamed influencer shared tips on dodging train fares, including hiding in the toilet and buying tickets that only take you one stop.

In one video she says: ‘Overall, if you get smart with it, there are a couple of ways to beat the train company. I would highly advise anybody not to pay.’

Her videos and persistent fare dodging have led to her being given a criminal record and a £773 fine following a joint investigation by East Midlands Railway and British Transport Police.

Here she is

1701865878565.png

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it's ironic in the broadest sense, I suppose.

1959, Louis Armstrong's version of the song, Mack the Knife, was banned by the BBC because of its subject matter. It is about a serial killer who uses a knife.

2023 (tonight) on the BBC's flagship light entertainment programme, Strictly Come Dancing, one of the couples performed to the song, Mack the Knife.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it's ironic in the broadest sense, I suppose.

1959, Louis Armstrong's version of the song, Mack the Knife, was banned by the BBC because of its subject matter. It is about a serial killer who uses a knife.

2023 (tonight) on the BBC's flagship light entertainment programme, Strictly Come Dancing, one of the couples performed to the song, Mack the Knife.
One of my favourite songs, fascinated me as a kid. :cool:

A sparse Christmas tree, said to be the "humblest Christmas tree in the world" and also that "It reminds us that extravagance and excess are not required to capture the spirit of Christmas" has just sold at auction in Banbury. For the extravagant and excessive sum of £3411.

*slow hand clap*

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-67725202

The firm's owner, Charles Hanson, said the tree would have been bought for a few pence, probably from a London department store.
He said: "It reminds us that extravagance and excess are not required to capture the spirit of Christmas.
"It survives as a reminder of 1920s life - a boom-to-bust decade.
"The Roaring Twenties saw major advances in science and technology. But the decade also brought the Wall Street Crash of 1929 and the Great Depression."

A Utah woman who ran a popular parenting advice YouTube channel has pleaded guilty to four counts of aggravated child abuse.
Ruby Franke, 41, who came to a plea deal with prosecutors faced accusations of starving and abusing her children after her son escaped a Utah home.
Franke said she pleaded guilty "with my deepest regret and sorrow for my family and my children".
She will testify against a former business partner and collaborator.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67755695

I think we had this here before.

Last edited:
Always have a getaway driver.

While three armed and masked teens were robbing a business in Colorado, another robber came along and stole their getaway car. And, to add another "ironic twist," police think the getaway car might have "already been stolen."

The double robbery took place at Hi Lo Check Cashing, a business in Commerce City that saw more thieving than actual commerce Saturday morning. But without their getaway car, two of the three teens — all who were under 18 — were quickly caught by police. But the third teen, along with the carjacker who took their ride, was still on the loose as of Monday, according to USA Today.

The suspects could face felony-level charges, according to a police spokesperson via 9News.

https://boingboing.net/2023/12/18/w...e-another-thief-steals-their-getaway-car.html

Always have a getaway driver.

While three armed and masked teens were robbing a business in Colorado, another robber came along and stole their getaway car. And, to add another "ironic twist," police think the getaway car might have "already been stolen."

The double robbery took place at Hi Lo Check Cashing, a business in Commerce City that saw more thieving than actual commerce Saturday morning. But without their getaway car, two of the three teens — all who were under 18 — were quickly caught by police. But the third teen, along with the carjacker who took their ride, was still on the loose as of Monday, according to USA Today.

The suspects could face felony-level charges, according to a police spokesperson via 9News.

https://boingboing.net/2023/12/18/w...e-another-thief-steals-their-getaway-car.html
Hmmm….. I reckon the 4th man was probably part of the team - surely you wouldn’t do an armed robbery without a man in the car outside with the engine running.. Maybe he bottled it.

And it’s not surprising the car was stolen - you’d hardly do it in your own car..

Hmmm….. I reckon the 4th man was probably part of the team - surely you wouldn’t do an armed robbery without a man in the car outside with the engine running.. Maybe he bottled it.

And it’s not surprising the car was stolen - you’d hardly do it in your own car..

Some crooks are dumb, there's a thread about such cases. The article suggests the 4th crook was not part of the gang.

Chief Operating Officer of Network Security Company Charged with Cyberattack on Medical Center

A Georgia man was arraigned today on charges arising out of a cyberattack conducted on Gwinnett Medical Center in 2018.

According to the indictment, Vikas Singla, 45, of Marietta, the chief operating officer of a metro-Atlanta network security company that served the health care industry, allegedly conducted a cyberattack on Gwinnett Medical Center that involved (i) disrupting phone service, (ii) obtaining information from a digitizing device, and (iii) disrupting network printer service. The indictment further alleges that the cyberattack was conducted, in part, for financial gain.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/chie...ty-company-charged-cyberattack-medical-center

Murdered man Marc Webley told enemies: “Come and get it.”

Marc Webley was shot outside the Anchor Inn pub in Granton just before midnight on Hogmanay.

He had previously posted videos on social media daring his rivals to come and get him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-67871340

:rofl:

(A bit of nominative determinism in his surname, too.)

maximus otter

Like the irony of being unable to film a film you are watching in a cinema?
That's because of copyright but many photographs from the first hundred years would be out of copyright ( depending on when the photographer died as I understand it )

I understand your point - but sometimes an experience can be spoiled by the flash ... mutter ... flash of those who want to experience reality at home.
At Xmas, we went to see Jethro Tull in York Minster. Absolutely fantastic. They requested that no photos or videos be taken during the performance ... until they are allowed during the finale. No problem - I enjoyed the music and the light show. I just couldn't imagine faffing about with my cameraphone while actually watching the performance. I'd hate to stare at a tiny screen and miss seeing 'the whole'.
Maybe the photos taken by visitors wouldn't capture the thing that makes the original worth seeing?

The Wrath of Khan?

Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, an ambassador for King Charles' British Asian Trust anti-violence charity, has admitted assaulting a band member.
Khan was filmed raining blows on the man and dragging him around by his hair during the brutal attack, accusing his hapless victim of having lost his bottle of "spiritual water".

khan.png

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...al-attack-hotel-student-hit-no-objection.html

Back