• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Only In Real Life!

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
I thought we should have a thread for those events that we might experience occasionally which aren’t at all paranormal but which are nevertheless bizarre and ludicrous enough to stick in our minds and which, if you saw them in a movie you’d think were far-fetched or contrived. A kind of non-spooky IHTM. Anyway, I woke up this morning thinking about this event and felt the need to share it.

A few years ago I was drinking the worst pint of Guinness I’ve ever tasted, to the accompaniment of the worst Irish band I’ve ever heard, in a bar in Copenhagen. In old slapstick films you get the guy running at a door in order to break it down only for someone to open it just as he’s about to make contact - well that’s how this strange looking bloke entered the pub, his trajectory suspended only by the fact that someone had thoughtfully placed the bar in his way. He was short, stocky, ginger haired and was wearing a kipper tie and the kind of loudly checked sports jacket last seen in episodes of Kojak - and he landed right next to me at the bar. Anyway, we got chatting and it turned out that he was in Denmark for a couple of days as a consequence of his job as a Finnish consultant for Carlsberg.

He bought me a drink - I bought him a drink . We started on the Vodka at about 21.00. The next several hours are a bit of a blur, although I know a trip to Christiana was involved and that he would insist on asking me to explain THE WAR IN IRELAND at the top of his voice (in an Irish bar forfucksake), until sometime in the wee small hours when I find we are at the quayside having lost his Danish minders along the way and that my little ginger friend is becoming alarmingly loud and emotional and appears to be trying to explain something rather complicated to me in Finnish while occasionally breaking off to sing very loudly and cry a bit. Being a reserved Brit this all struck me as all a bit off and European and I was trying to work out how to get some distance between us when the distressed Finn started shuffling towards the quayside while at the same time trying to divest himself of his atrocious jacket. To my horror I realised the man intended to jump in, presumably in order to drown himself (why he thought the jacket was worth saving is beyond me) as a consequence of whatever emotional turmoil he had been trying to explain to me in a language I didn’t understand while we were both stupendously out of our skulls. It struck me that it might be easier just to let him get on with it but after a rapid and rather slurred internal dialogue between the bit of me that wanted to go to bed and the bit that retained a tattered and weary fragment of human decency, I started after him.

He started running. I started running. A few metres from the quayside I floored him with a surprisingly competent rugby tackle. However he was a stocky little bugger and as strong as an ox and commenced wriggling towards the water’s edge with me hanging on to his ankle for dear life. It was like trying to wrestle a portly ginger seal which smelled strongly of whisky. Eventually, after crawling up him a bit, which only succeeded in slowing him down, I realised that the only way I was ever going to stop him was to sit on him - which, after a brief struggle, I did. Which is when I got the giggles. Which is when the police turned up. Which, for some reason (possibly the looks on their faces), made me laugh even more.

You can see their point. An monumentally inebriated 14-stone, six-foot-something Englishman with a shaved head giggling like a madman while sitting on top of an emotional and faintly wriggling Finn at three in the morning. I would have arrested me too.

Anyway it all got sorted out in the end . I was a bit taken aback though when I asked him on our exit from the police station what he had been so upset about, assuming he had marital or family problems or something like that, he looked at me quizzically and answered “Oh no, no problems. That’s just the way it is with us Finns sometimes.”

Anyway, just felt I had to get that off my chest!

You're a decent human being, Spookdaddy. Well done.
I guess Finns and Norwegians are a little predisposed to suicide and depression because of the cold weather and the 6-months dark, 6-months light days.
Enough to send anybody round the bend.
That man should move to a sunny country - he'd be as right as rain (eventually).

Mythopoeika wrote
I guess Finns and Norwegians are a little predisposed to suicide and depression because of the cold weather and the 6-months dark, 6-months light days.

The same goes for here in Sweden. Bill Bryson wrote that our national sport was suicide! :lol:

I have no statistics but i saw some of the fattest people i've ever encountered in Finland.

Whoa, according to that article 26% of British Women are 'obese'.

How much overweight do you have to be to get in that category? Double 'ideal' weight? More?

Answering myself:

How do you know if you are obese?

Most doctors calculate obesity using a formula known as the Body Mass Index (BMI).

It is a measure based on height and weight that applies to both adult men and women.

To calculate your BMI divide your weight in kilograms by the square of your height in metres.

Body Mass Index
Underweight: less than 20
Normal weight: 20-25
Overweight: 25 - 29.9
Obese: over 30
Morbidly obese: over 40

Calculate your BMI

A BMI of 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight and one of 30 or above is considered obese.

Doctors have recently recognised a new category: those with a BMI above 40 are considered morbidly obese.

People with BMIs between 19 and 22 live longest. Death rates are noticeably higher for people with indexes 25 and above.

The BMI is not infallible. For instance, it is possible for a healthy, muscular athlete with very low body fat to be classified obese using the BMI formula.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/medic ... 189930.stm

The guy wasn't fat exactly - just stocky. But he did have about the worst dress sense of anyone I've ever met.

He told me (bearing in mind that both of us were only barely conscious at the time) that although the Finns drink large amounts of alcohol their tastes are very limited and therefore, although there is potentially a large market for foriegn brewers in Finland, it is, or was, extremely difficult to break into. This is how he'd ended up working for Carlsberg - although I think he might have been taking his factfinding a little too seriously.

Ringo_ said:
Mythopoeika wrote

The same goes for here in Sweden. Bill Bryson wrote that our national sport was suicide! :lol:

Oh, sorry Ringo - I forgot Sweden.
Yeah, I guess you've got the same day/night problems (and consequently the same kind of suicide problems as Norway and Finland).

Come on guys! Someone's got to have had bizarre stuff happen to them - the kind of stuff people think you're making up when you tell them in the pub.

I don't want this to get needlessly autobiographical but here's another little episode.

When I was a student I went to stay at a friends house in Wallasey. His family were devout Catholics - his mother extremely so, and the house, which was enormous, was littered with religious statues and paintings - which give me the horrors at the best of times. Anyway, we’d been out on the piss all day because it was my mates 21st and then we’d gone into Liverpool just to make sure we really wouldn’t be able to remember a thing about his birthday. We must have got home somehow because I woke up at around four in the morning not being able to remember where I was or why I was there but knowing that I definitely needed a piss as a matter of some urgency.

Not wanting to wake anyone up I decided to try and find my way in the dark which, seeing as I had no idea where the toilet was and I was very drunk, wasn’t a particularly good idea. After what seemed like several hours of bumping into things I found a set of stairs and decided that the toilet was probably down them somewhere. About halfway down I tripped over a burglar - a bit shorter than me, and oddly cold and hard to the touch - but definitely a burglar. Imagine my surprise when the ensuing noise wakens most of the household who, turning the lights on, discover me halfway down the stairs wrestling with an almost life-size plaster statue of the Blessed Virgin in my underpants (which are in not-quite-on not-quite-off mode).

They were very understanding but I have a horrible feeling that some of their worst fears about protestants were confirmed that day.

I could also tell you about the time a French midget tried to teach me how to breathe fire in a pub toilet in Edinburgh using a bottle of stolen brandy and a fag-lighter but no-one ever believes that one - sounds too much like a Tom Waits lyric.

Imagine my surprise when the ensuing noise wakens most of the household who, turning the lights on, discover me halfway down the stairs wrestling with an almost life-size plaster statue of the Blessed Virgin in my underpants (which are in not-quite-on not-quite-off mode).

They were very understanding but I have a horrible feeling that some of their worst fears about protestants were confirmed that day.

:rofl:

THANK YOU for brightening up a horrendous couple of weeks...and I'm dying to hear the midget story. (is there such a thing as a bad anecdote about a midget? I think not)

English carpenter in Australia was asked to build a movable, circular stage for a nightclub. He constructed it in two semi-circular halves which could be pushed together and locked by pins. After the performance the two halves could be detached and pushed out of sight. The grande performer was a short, squat American 'belter'; a wannabe Ethel Merman ... although in truth she looked more like Ernest Borgnine in drag.

So there she was; middle aged, over the hill, but giving it all she had, feet planted wide and belting out: 'Swwwwaaaannnneeee, how I loves ya, how I loves ya, my dear Ole Swannie ' .... when her wide-spread stance grew wider ... wider..... as the two halves of the circular stage began drifting apart. The old trooper's short, fat legs were stretched to the max, but she kept wailing her lungs out until the end ... when she ended up falling in a heap. Patrons thought it was all part of the act and cheered like mad.

The English carpenter's wife, meanwhile, was playing a Cinderella role out the back in the kitchens. Blessed with a superb voice, she was singing a not-bad version of Silent Night as she laboured over sinks-full of dirty dishes. Desperate because his star had stomped off into her dressing room after her forced splits courtesy of the drift-apart stage, the manager rushed a microphone into the kitchen to capture the warbling of his dish-washer as substitute entertainment for his customers.

At around this time, the English carpenter burst into the night-club, brandishing a short-handled axe. Monumentally drunk, shirtless and sporting a Tarzan physique and tan, the English carpenter screamed Rambo-style: 'Bring the bastard out here ! Where's that fecking pussy-cat waiter who's been shagging my wife! '

The room fell suddenly silent as the carpenter's dish-washing wife recognised her husband's roar through the thin kitchen doors. The soaring strains of Silent Night were replaced by an alarmed: ' Oooo, bluddy 'eck ! ', followed by frantic whispering.

Leaping acrobatically from table to table, axe raised high, the English carpenter closed in on a particular waiter who'd been trying to slip unnoticed from the dining room and into the kitchen.

' Oi ! You! Yes -- YOU, pansy boy! ' screamed the carpenter to the petrified waiter, who was what they used to describe as a 'Continental' type; all brycreem, narrow moustache and olive-oil smile. 'Cum over 'ere, you fecking wog bastard, I want a bluddy word wi you ! Cum an' get a bit o this ! ' and the carpenter brandished his axe with a chilling grin.

The patrons were enchanted with this bit of theatre -- judged it a huge improvement on the usual Christmas Eve entertainment -- and egged the combatants on.

In the end, the carpenter only used the blunt edge of his axe on the waiter, who dropped pleading before he'd even been clouted.

The nightclub manager, who's motto must have been ' I rush in where angels fear to ...' saw his chance and dashed at the carpenter to complain about the come-apart stage. He received a thump to the ear, as did those patrons within easy reach who'd been stupid enough to cat-call the still pumped carpenter.

Meanwhile, the carpenter's wife had high-tailed it home, three doors up, followed shortly after by her axe-weilding, wild-eyed spouse. He was in the middle of jumping up and down on the presents he'd bought her for Christmas, in between holding a bread knife to her throat whilst instructing his pale-faced children to: 'get to bluddy bed and get back to sleep, quick smart, or there's no bluddy Santy Claus for YOU !'

This touching Christmas tableau was interrupted by the sound of one of the two local police yelling into a loud-hailer: 'Come on out with your hands up and no-one will get hurt '. Or words to that effect.

'Yeah -- and I'll be taking sum o you bastards wi me ! ' screamed the carpenter, his wild grin exploding in joy at the thought of half-worthy opponents at last. Grabbing his spear-gun and ordinary gun, and tucking the axe in his belt, he flew from the door, tried a commando tumble-turn which didn't quite work and ended up in a heap against his car. Undeterred, his next maneouvre was a fair impersonation of ground crawling jungle-warfare moves, which brought him to a grassy mound near the kiddies swing-set of a little public park. Arranging his armoury next to him, be began screaming abuse at the gentle-natured local constabulary, in the hope of getting some fireworks going.

But before the shoot-out could commence, out of nowhere flew a rotund, sweating, swearing lump which landed square on the prone carpenter's back, releasing a surprised 'oooof '. Not exactly the cavalry. In fact it was the carpenter's sometimes best-mate; an 'I'm not German, I'm Swiss' chef from the nightclub. He arm-wrestled the stunned carpenter into submission, so that the two nervous policemen could slip on the handcuffs and go home to their families.

The carpenter had a great time in the jail that night. It contained some of the area's more interesting characters, who talked and sang for hours. Meanwhile, at home, the carpenter's wife locked herself in her room, surrounded by her smashed Christmas presents, and pretended to play the piano on her dressing table, to the strains of a Liberace record. As the dawn light touched the little home, her little daughters tried to explain to their even younger brother that no -- it hadn't actually been Santa who'd been yelling through the loud-hailers. Then together the children gathered the unwrapped, broken toys strewn around the floor after the night's drama, and tried to put the pieces together in order to play with them.

A few years later, having moved to a quiet, rural area in which he practised a more respectable demeanor, the carpenter built the new town church. As crowning glory, he constructed a modernist lectern, which could be raised or lowered to suit the height of the preacher, via a slide-and-lock gizmo.

Came the great day when the church was to be formally consecrated. Notables and clergy joined the local farmers as they posed for reporters and photographers. Then all filed inside in their Sunday best, with the carpenter and his family honoured with front-row seats. Speeches, hymns, more speeches and then the biggest of the big-wig clergy strode to the lectern. A hush fell over the audience. This was the biggest, most important speech of the day about to occur here ... you could hear a pin drop.

Placing his hands Chuck Heston style on either side of the Norwegian looking lectern, the Top Clergyman cleared his throat before launching the voice of which he was so proud. But it was drowned out by the congregation's shocked squeals and his own startled grunts as the lectern plummeted earth-wards, taking him with it.

It was a great idea, that raise and lower lectern ... like the come-apart circular stage had been. If only someone had remembered to lock them together before using them.

The carpenter's children grew up to distrust anything that had to be put together by human hands; things such as roller-coasters and other fair-ground rides for example. And they're obessive about checking the nuts that hold the wheels on, after they've had their cars serviced. Other than that, they're reasonably normal, apart from getting a bit depressed for some reason, around Christmas time.

Leaferne said:
THANK YOU for brightening up a horrendous couple of weeks...and I'm dying to hear the midget story.

i second that one, tell us the midget story Spook. i haven't laughed so much in ages!

Cracking story there Again! :rofl:

Excellent stories Spookydaddy and again, unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I'm usually somewhere round the corner or down the road when the interesting stuff goes off.

Just remembered this and HaVe to write it down. Not much, and others have most probably witnessed something similar, but it's the first and only time I ever saw it and I LOVED it, still love it, even though it happened quite a few years ago.

Sitting at the traffic lights with half a little boy's football team noisily crowded in the back, when I noticed the car in the next lane. It was an odd car; had the top cut off, so basically it looked like a box on wheels. There were four or five surfies in it; their surfboards stacked in the back. The driver looked up into his rear vision mirror. Then he checked his side mirror. Then he turned around in his seat and stared at the car behind.

As calmly as you like, he then reversed back hard, into the car behind him. Then drove forward a metre or so and checked his rear-vision mirror again. Obviously not satisfied, he again deliberately reversed into the car behind him.

There was a crunch each time he did this. I was flabbergasted to begin with. After checking his rear vision again, the driver gave the thumbs up sign to the car behind him before pulling away as the lights changed.

And there, unmoving, remained the car who's lights he'd smashed. It was a big, new Mercedes containing a 50-ish man and woman, dressed to the nines.

Guess they know now not to shine their powerful high-beam headlights into the car ahead of them.

Spookdaddy said:
Come on guys! Someone's got to have had bizarre stuff happen to them - the kind of stuff people think you're making up when you tell them in the pub.
OK, who wants to hear the one about me and the murderous Xmas tree again? It's been a year or two since it last saw the light of day...

I'm 13 years old and on a school day-trip to France. Wandering through the street market at Cherbourg, I realise that I really, really need a crap.

But I don't know where the public toilets are.

My French was, and remains, poor. After an interminable time asking various French people 'un toilet?' (at which came the usual Gallic shrug and foreign muttering) one kindly soul pointed the way for me. A narrow gap between two buildings, but the sign above it had some approximation of the word 'toilet' in there somewhere, so that's good enough for me. I go inside, and...

Well, it's vast. There's even, amazingly enough, a booth with an attendant sitting inside it. She's an elderly lady, plastered with makeup, and her hair is in a bun. Politely, I walk up to her, and say: "un toilet?". She mumbles something in French, and points me towards an entranceway at the opposite end of this enormous public convenience. I go there, and yes! Rows of cubicles, pristine and smelling rather nice. But...

There are no doors. Nowhere. Just a series of full-frontal bogs, in full view of everyone. But hadn't I heard the talk of how these continentals were somewhat less embarrassed than their British cousins when it came to bodily functions? And wasn't I really desperate by now? Sod it, I thought; when in Rome do as the Romans do - so i venture into the nearest cubicle, drop my keks, and sit there, terrified that someone will see, as I let the business take care of itself...

I'm quick. And, to my amazement and relief, I remained alone; nobody saw me. With everything sorted, I saunter back out with a quick 'merci' to the lady in the booth - only to have her tap on the glass and beckon me over. '"What is it?" I ask...

Only now does she decide that she can speak English.

And thereupon inform me that I spent the last few minutes, buck naked from the waist down and in full view of anyone who might walk on by...in the ladies toilet!

Yes I would like to hear about this Killer Christmas Tree; not least because they're well known for being vicious bastards when roused.

And to Pumpkin, can only say: 'Welcome to the Sisterhood'. Although that toilet-attendant must have been pulling your leg. They couldn't really have been Ladies' Toilets because everyone knows that Ladies don't poo.

'Two Weddings And A ....'

This is the true story that Hugh Grant was too timid to take on, after which he agreed instead to take part in the watered down version.

Wedding One: Thanks to underhanded scheming and interference on the part of her evil Mother-in-Law and Sisters-in-Law to be, she ended up not being able to get married until her pregnancy-bump was visible. And because her own family were raving psychos, and because she'd travelled far to escape them years earlier, she had no-one to give-her-away at the church. So a friend's father, lovely man, offerred to walk her down the aisle. Trouble was, he suffered from a pronounced club-foot and the corrective shoe he was forced to wear severely affected the gait of that six foot 4 inch man.

On the day of the wedding, she decided she just didn't want to go through with it. And by the time late afternoon rolled along, she was curled in a fetal position suffering extreme morning-sickness made worse by the huge pile of McDonald's rushed in as Emergency Cheerer Upper by the frantic bridesmaids. They pushed, threatened, cajoled and threw sufficient hysterics that finally she dragged herself up and into the shower, saying : 'Oh all RIGHT ! I'll DO it then. Just stop nagging at me, I can't take all this any longer'.

She had waist-length hair which had no-where near dried by the time the photographer arrived. The bridesmaids plopped her Camelot-style headress over the lot. Some idiot had daubed bright blue eye-shadow all over her while she'd been lying down recovering from the most recent bout of morning sickness and the photos of that day reveal something resembling a long-dead psychedelic-Ophelia AFTER she'd been dragged from the pond with grappling hooks.

Horrible moment came when she had to face it. Clutching Friend's-Father's arm and hoping like mad she wouldn't vomit and have to step through it, she began the famed Walk Down the Aisle. But something seemed wrong; more wrong than usual. There was a lot of awkward hip-banging going on as she struggled to keep time with Friend's Father, whose massively built-up shoe caused the pair of them to lurch from one side to the other, almost crashing into pews every few steps.

It was so SILENT ! Well of course it was; Fancy-Boy husband to be, spoilt to death by his Mediterranean mother and four hundred sisters, had been too stingy to pay the organist ! Instead, he'd spent the entire day and all his money throwing an impromptu champagne party down at the hairdresser's, where he'd had HIS locks tinted, primped and blow-dried. There he stood now, at the other end of the looooooong aisle, confident in his chosen role as Ze Most Beee-U-ti-ful Man in Ze World.

She'd refused all the considerable prior pressures to consign her soul and more importantly those of her unborn children, to the Roman god --- so as punishment the priest would not allow her to be married at the 'real' alter, and halted her path at the 'infidels' altar at the front.

Having made it past ranks of seething Mediterranean mommas and their disappointed, furious daughters, she pulled up next to the Fabio Wannabe before the Infidels' Altar and prepared to pay the price for succumbing to Bailey's Irish Cream and dramatic vows of eternal love on her new fluffy carpet, a few months earlier. The priest began to intone intelligibly. Fabio manfully resisted his hysterical mother's attempts to drag him away. Then a head-spinning attack of morning-sickness combined with extreme depression and anxiety dropped the bride in a heap.

The congregation ERUPTED ! Oh, the joy ! She cannot be married in THIS condition crowed the attendant Mediterranean Women ! " Look-a !! She's a no-good-a !! She's a faulty !! She's a too-skeeeny ! She's a --- an Angleesi Weeetch !! She's a trick-a heem ! Theesa wedding musta be called off -- Finit ! No a more ! Finit !! Fabio -- you-a come-a home wiz za Momma ! Za Momma she-a gonna have-a da heart attak-a ! You-a KEELING your momma ! " Cry, rent, rant, begga da Fabio-a ....

Fabio -- still fighting off his mother's and sisters' clutches -- grabbed an old wooden chair from the side of the church and thrust it beneath the pregnant, toppling English Witch and demanded the priest hurry up.

It was a far-cry from the peaceful Spinster lifestyle she'd hoped-for even as a small child.

She was married sitting on a chair before the Infidels' Altar ! Behind her, three hundred Italian mommas and their daughters were flicking Evil Eye and other curses at her ... their hands, fingers, toes, tongues and various religious medals working overtime.

The Wedding Album ranks way up there with other notorious examples of the Black Arts. In this photo we have the bedraggled Ophelia glancing nervously to one side as she signs the Register and even without glasses you can spot members of the Gargoyle Mediterranean Mothers' Club lurking in the shadows on the left, their fingers curled in various blood-curdling curse symbols whist with their other hand they clutch the religious medals around their necks. In the garden photos, like hobgoblins, lurk junior members of the Black Curse Society (described by their mothers as 'bambinos') tugging the English Witch's snowy train and spitting on her Something-Borrowed shoes. And here in photos of the reception, we see the English Witch in her husband's arms during the Bridal Waltz, surrounded by the glowering, openly hate-filled faces of the guests.

The English Witch, when presented by Za Momma with a Most High Gothic chalice of ruby-purple glass supposedly filled with Bridal Toast champagne ... was undecided whether to drink it or not. It was almost certainly filled with some Dark Ages poison. But would it KILL her and provide an end to this surreal nightmare? Or would it merely turn her black and warty? So she handed it to Fabio and watched Za Momma's expression. Turned out Fabio had guts of steel, thanks to lifelong conditioning as result of Za Momma's ptomaine poisoning food, so he tossed it back and went back for more.

But the big Tip-Off --- even for those who know nothing of the above -- is provided within photos of EVERY female member of the groom's family, all of whom (on this 'festive' occasion) wore some version of black !

Swoon. Have to do Wedding Two another time. I'm exhausted from re-living the ordeal sketched above.

again6 said:
Yes I would like to hear about this Killer Christmas Tree; not least because they're well known for being vicious bastards when roused.
You asked for it.. it's a lengthy ramble, but all true (if slightly hyperbolic at times)..

The tree.

.....nothing at all wrong with the old one, lovely artificial thing bought a few years ago, could only tell it was fake from about two feet away, didn't shed needles and on twelfth night could be folded up and re-consigned to the attic for an eleven month hibernation.

On Sunday, I braved the loft, avoided putting my foot between rafters this time, retrieved the box and depoisited same in the living room: box opened, I eagerly (relative term, that) started to tease the fused joints apart, twig by twig, branch by branch recreating the authentic look of..

"Throw it away. We're getting a real one this year."

"Eh?"

"Throw it away. It looks awful. Go and buy a tree." (this last delivered with an alarming finality).

Nearest shop selling trees? End of my road. About 150 yards. Nearest shop selling real trees? A mile further on. Run by a chap called Roy. Ambled along, assayed the selection cunningly blocking the pavement outside the shop (great selling tactic, BTW, Roy: physically impede the progress of potential customers so they're forced to look at your wares), and made my selection. A six foot pine, deep jade in colour, scented like a Swedish forest in Autumn. £16.00.

"That one's taken." said Roy.

"Ah." said me. "Got another one, same sort of size?"

"Stacks of them mate. Follow me." he replied, giving no indication that this was the first of many inaccurate or indeed downright mendacious statements he was to make in the next five minutes.

"Can you deliver?" I asked.

"Oh yes." said Roy.

I emerged with an eight foot pine, lovingly wrapped in a big white fishnet stocking and £18.00 down on the deal.

"When will you bring it round?" I asked.

"Can't." said Roy. "Not that one, anyway. Too big. Now if you'd have bought a six foot tree..."

"But you didn't have any left!"

"Should have come earlier."

My fault then. This left me with something of a brain teaser: being splendidly ecological and carless, how to transport an eight foot tree a mile along an urban pavement?

It's remarkable, when stood at a bus stop with a large conifer, in December, how many people will actually ask you whether it's a Christmas tree. After a while, and lots of scope for experimentation, decided on "No, it's lost", which seemed to oddly satisfy most curiosities.

"Not with that, you can't." said the bus driver.

"Why not?" I asked, eyeing the empty bus bar two schoolkids shagging at the back.

"Safety hazard. What would happen in a crash?" he asked.

"Doubt if it would get hurt." Well, I thought that was a fair point.

I watched the departing bus diminish into the gloom. OK, I thought, I walk this twice a day on average and a whole lot more, the tree isn't that heavy...

There's three ways of carrying an eight foot tree (believe me, there are just three, having tested this to exhaustion). On your shoulder, Lumberjack style; under your arm, Mafiosi violin case style; or in a sort of diagonal bear hug. The first two have the disadvantage of having people's eyes out, snagging wing mirrors and aerials and jousting old ladies with Ben Hur tartan trolleys into the gutter; however, it makes carrying easy.

The third way is much more other-pedestrian friendly, but from the POV of the carrier not only obstructs an entire half of the field of vision (further bad news for the Ben Hur tartan shopping trolley brigade), but also brings a lot of tree into close proximity with your body. Most of the latter was fortunately clothed (not a given, necessarily, but that's another story) but my lower forearms, and the right hand side of my neck and face were pressed against a needly tree, albeit wrapped as earlier mentioned in a big white fishnet stocking. Needly and resiny. Resiny allergicy, as I discovered after about 800 yards (on inspection en route in a shop window I looked uncomfortably like Two Face from the Batman movies).

There is also a third disadvantage to this method of carriage. The aforementioned big white fishnet stocking starts to slip off. Wouldn't be a problem if you carry your eight foot pine trees in a diagonal bear hug upside down: however, my renowned lack of forethought had prevailed once more. Now I had branches sticking into my right thigh every second step, plus a rather neat grappling hook effect every time I passed a lamp-post (or indeed. elderly lady with Ben Hur style tartan shopping trolley - oh, the points I accrued yesterday...)

As I turned the corner into my road, within sight of my house, by now sobbing gently to myself, my neighbour drew up alongside me in his Renault Fertility wagon. With a tree strapped to the roof rack.

"Alright Stu, want a lift along the road with that?"

...of course, once you've got an eight foot conifer home, it's large white fishnet stocking by now covering the uppermost branches only and trailing down like an enormous bed-cap, then the most potentially lethal problem faces you.

Or faced me at least: some elementary geography. My front door isn't as wide as a tree. Also, owing to a wall mounted coat rack just behind it, the front door itself will only open to about 80 degrees. The front hall is quite small, only about 6 by 6 feet, and is cluttered with radiator, pictures, meter cupboard, coats, skateboards (will feature later, not in the manner you predict) and so on. Once inside, there is a stark choice: immediate 90 degree left turn to get into the living room, or go upstairs. As close as the tree and I had now become, I felt it was too early in our relationship to take it upstairs so opted for the living room.

Mentally opted for the living room. Physically was still stood outside, tree with nearly all branches now akimbo, rain gently cooling my semi-leprous complexion. Would clearly have to reverse into house and perform a complicated pirouette manoeuvre - nothing ventured, and all that, grabbed the needly trunk and tugged in the manner of the children’s tale involving a large turnip and assorted yokels. Fortunately the tree co-operated, and the small hallway now contained, in addition to the previous list, me in overcoat and hives, and an eight foot tree. And a small drift of needles (“Won’t shed!” said Roy, the mendacious tree-grocer not half an hour before).

Reached round tree, opened living room door – there was furniture between me and the destination spot, a patch of suspiciously clean carpet in the far corner, previously occupied by an armchair (now languishing in the bedroom, in the way). Of course between me and the furniture was the doorway, also cunningly smaller than the tree. In fact, between the doorway and me was the sodding tree. A swift semi-waltz and I backed into the living room: the tree attempted to follow me, having perhaps duckling like identified me as it’s mother but was thankfully impeded by the doorway – so it stood, leaning in and balefully shedding needles into the living room.

It’s quite a large lounge, but to compensate have a lot of furniture. Most of which was now in the way: the sofa, bigger than me (fortunate considering the amount of time I spend on it), would have to be upended, and another armchair transported into the kitchen through another narrow doorway: joy! skinned knuckles too!! just what I needed!

This done, having now removed my coat (stupid: reason hoving into view in a second) pulled the tree through the living room doorway (cue more needles), held the tree in close to me…and realised that my coat, heavy overthing that it is, had afforded at least part of me some protection from the thing. Now, in a sweat shirt and jeans, my entire body was vulnerable to it’s prickly intentions. I felt not unlike that bit in Tommy where the Acid Queen puts him in an iron maiden and the syringes all go in at the same time. Calamine Lotion shares would rise by the end of trading.

I’d already located the base, a manhole cover sized lump of cast iron in the spot where I intended to put the tree (or Bernard, as I’d deliriously begun to address it) and now attempted to tango with him that a-way, a sharp green carpet magically appearing in our wake, and we reached the spot, the base with it’s gaping maw awaiting the trunk…and it was too big. The trunk was too wide, owing to knots and stumps at the bottom where branches had been removed (“That’ll fit! Don’t worry! Simple job to trim it down if needs be!” – Roy, you’d better have a good lawyer).

So, there I am. Attempting to cue lever a tree upright from the bottom whilst trying to guide said tree into an immovable object too small to accommodate it. On my chest, arms and thighs, the collected works of Tolstoy in vivid red Braille was rapidly materialising, and I was so far gone I had named a frigging tree “Bernard”. Bernard, perhaps sensing his intended fate, made a last, desperate bid for freedom, I leapt to my feet, as he fell onto me, and, needles falling down my back and in my hair I heroically wrestled him back to the vertical…

“That’s not a six foot tree. I asked for a six foot tree. That’s not a six foot tree.”

Oh crap, she’s been watching Taxi Driver again…

“I know, They didn’t have any six foot trees left” (or rather, by the time it had penetrated the foliage, “mwah mmungle mwuh monng”)

“Where did you go? B&Q?”

“ No, Roy’s Vegetation and Fraud emporium”

“Oh, yes, always what’s easiest with you, isn’t it?”

easiest?

“Well, I’m not helping you.” Exit stage left. And then, from the hall way “And do something about these needles.” Front door closed.

I looked at Bernard, and for a delirious second he looked at me. A real tree/man bonding moment. I leaned him to the side, and fetched my saw. A brief amputation later, involving lots of sawdust, needles, and colourful language, finally Bernard took pride of place, snugly in his stand.

…. Having unravelled the lights with due care and attention, having screwed them up into a ball without any care or attention about eleven months ago and entombed them in an empty shortbread tin like a kidnap victim, for some reason they now just didn’t work. Flicked switch on and off, changed sockets, peered at wiring, pushed bulbs further in. Nada. Opened the shortbread tin to see if I’d kept the instruction leaflet – miraculously (and I use the word advisedly) it was there (I usually take a match to any set of instructions as soon as I open the box, just to dispel any later lingering doubts as to whether I saved them or not. Besides, it adds a splendid frisson to assembling flat pack furniture).

The instructions read (and I quote)
When lights is not up lighting!
– flying start there then –
be then look to light and see if crack or damage too
…okay….
and is check wire is faulty too
…no no, wire not faulty too..
then if not of above then one bulb or more have not working now
…oh good…
and then way to fix is take bulb and replace with spare that is work now
gee, thanks. My fault (would be anyway) for allowing the Scot in me to inform the purchase. £10 in Debenhams? Pah! Humbug! Give me £3.00 from…should have remembered, Roy’s Vegetation and Fraud Emporium (qv).

Sat on floor, flex coiled around me like a python, and took the spare bulb (despite having no realistic way of knowing whether it worked or not) and one by one removed each bulb in sequence, replaced it with the spare, flicked the switch, when nothing happened (as if it would) then moved on to the next one, having replaced the original suspect into it’s little green socket. As I approached the last bulb, the utter fatuousness of this activity had already made itself abundantly clear: these lights were not going to work. They were Kamikaze lights, like the WW2 Zeros, built just light and fast enough to go one way faster than the defending squadrons. Besides, who on Earth is cheap enough to believe that if you put a £3.00 string of lights of unidentified Far Eastern provenance into a cold loft for eleven months that they’ll work again upon retrieval?

Me. So I continued with the bulb replacement farrago to the bitter end, just out of spite.

Nothing. What about the fuse? Ah. Fuse. Changed fuse. Flicked switch.

Light!!

For a nano-second, accompanied by a bang, and all the electrical equipment in the room juddering into abrupt silence and darkness.

Ah.

After brief sojourn in meter cupboard (remember the skateboard I mentioned earlier? Coming up shortly, in case you were concerned :)) returned to tree and gentle consideration of my next move, accompanied by rabid scratching and swearing. Decided lights could wait. Baubles!

Opened bauble box. Two remained unbroken. Why so many casualties? The skateboard (you’re all intelligent people. You can fill in the gaps. Suffice to say the back of my head was now developing a lump too).

Tinsel? About three feet of it. Tatty. Assorted kitsch ornaments, ditto.

Right. Assayed self in mirror: scarlet and lumpy face, left hand appearing to swell alarmingly – briefly considered putting bag on head, big mitten and oversized cap on and seeing if I could get chased round St Pancras in black and white ( “I’m not an animal! I’m in adult education!”). Decided instead to brave crowds sans bag etc, and headed into town.

My local bus is one of those - timetable says every twenty minutes, reality says when it bloody wants to, and in the last full shopping week before Christmas, when the local constabulary are telling everyone not to drive into town as there are too many cars there already, said buses tend to be fairly full (or utterly empty, bar two schoolkids in flagrante delicto, as they are two minutes behind a bus packed with people, and will refuse boarding rights to people carrying such trifles as eight foot pine trees). So there I stood, in the drizzle behind a squadron of Ben Hur Tartan Shopping trolleys, waiting for the omnibus equivalent of the Flying Dutchman, whilst my co-queuees tried not to look directly at my complexion, lest they a) contract it or indeed b) turn to salt. Some may have been victims of my earlier joustings, but TBH they all look the same to me without foliage in the very immediate foreground.

For once that day (and it was just the once at that) God smiled upon me. I could get on the bus. Standing room only, short ride, so Walkman on, stare manfully into middle distance like those chaps who stand together in catalogues wearing underpants and vests, and behaving as if this was entirely normal. The walkman did to a degree mask the frequent juvenile comments along the lines of “Mummy, why has that man got a Halloween mask on?” and so on, and I eventually alighted, long coat swishing, like Dark Man into the crowding throng.

I strode, Moses like, parting the masses into Debenhams, found a hapless assistant in santa hat and lost expression and asked her where the tree decorations were, in my best, no-nonsense, don’t-look-at-my-face-in-pity-I-mean-business-and-am-in-a-hurry manner. I was not to be trifled with. I was the man in form, the man who got things done.

They were behind me.

I mumbled my gratitude and examined the vast range. I didn’t want blinking lights. I didn’t want lights that played music. I didn’t want lights that were every shade of hair colour Molly Sugden ever sported. I wanted lights that were small and white, and stayed on. In truth, I’d have robbed Blackpool Illuminations by now, but someone else wanted white lights that stayed on, and following my outrageous faux pas of buying a tree two feet too tall (Oh the shame of it! And the neighbours saw me!) I had to make amends somehow. I relocated my Santa-hatted oracle and beseeched of her the whereabouts of white lights that stayed on.

They too were right behind me. In a box, which was labelled “A box of Debenhams Small White Lights that Stay On, Stuart.” Alright then, I made that last bit up. £10. Excellent. Big box of baubles. Some candy canes. Various ornaments. Paid. Left. Got bus home (prosaic, this bit, but utterly uninteresting so keeping it simple).

Walked in to house, following momentary panic that had lost keys (always in the other pocket).

Tree no longer vertical. Tree now at twenty five degrees, roughly (sorry can’t be more precise than that, but theodolite is in hock again). Needles now infested every inch of carpet and sofa upon which it had capsized - the sofa being the only obstacle to it being supine upon the floor. The manhole-sized lump of cast iron was no match for Bernard.

I cunningly used existing picture hooks in the wall behind his intended location, and arranged guy-ropes to keep the wayward bugger in place - now festooned with lights and tinsel and red-foil wrapped confectionary and fragile splinter grenades sprayed silver, it stood like a sentry, in the corner, resolutely going nowhere. Almost worth the all the hassle.

Almost.

Reckoned without cat at 3.00 am. Not even our cat, but friend's cat, as he'd sensibly gone to the Black Forest for Christmas, with lots of trees all around where they belong, ie outside and in the ground.

If a tree falls in a room with no-one around, will it still make a sound?

Yes, particularly if there's a cat clinging to it like the giant kitten in The Goodies, and the resultant collapse takes a lump of plaster from the lounge wall with it, too.

The next year, I bought a good synthetic tree, just like the old one.

And the lights didn't work.

again6 said:
But the big Tip-Off --- even for those who know nothing of the above -- is provided within photos of EVERY female member of the groom's family, all of whom (on this 'festive' occasion) wore some version of black !

Swoon. Have to do Wedding Two another time. I'm exhausted from re-living the ordeal sketched above.

Marvelous. Thank you for the story.

stuneville said:
again6 said:
You asked for it.. it's a lengthy ramble, but all true (if slightly hyperbolic at times)..

The tree.

Thank you for that one!

These are by far not as crazy as the other stories but when I tell people, they often can't believe stuff like that can happen.

When I worked as an au-pair in Paris [aged 17], I lived with the family in a large Parisian flat.
The mum was divorced but had a boyfriend which up to that point I had never met.
That particular day, I found myself in the kitchen, when I heard the phone ring in the living room [which was quite a way away]. So I legged it, ran down the long corridor and as I took the corner to the living room with my slippery shoes on the wooden floorboards, I did a couple of "empty runs" before flying headlong between the open legs of a man who caught me at the last moment under my armpits.
Whilst in this very awkward and embarrassing position, I looked up at him and said calmly [what else can you do?]: "Hi, I'm Nicole, the au-pair"....
Jeez I'm still cringing, stuff like that only happens in comedies.

Or what about the one when I sat in VW Beetle, coming from college and it had been so cold during the day that all the roads were totally frozen. After a long slow drive home, I'm stopping at a red light, when I can feel the car slipping sideways towards the edge of the road, where cars where parked. However for whatever reason, there was an empty space, exactly where I was slipping in and as it was only about 100 meters from home, I left the car there, perfectly parked.

Another one happened to my friend, it also involves a VW Beetle. She owned a beige one, with a tartan seat pattern. That day she came out and all the cars were snowed in. So she got herself a shovel and spend about 45min digging the thing out. She opens it up and notices that the tapes insight aren't hers and that basically she undug the wrong car. Hers was only about 2 or 3 further up. It was also a coincidence, as these tartan patterns were quite rare and they made the keys so that basically one would be the same in every 100th car or so. Needless to say, the owner was chuffed to find their car ready to go.

This has got to be the nastiest. The other day I'm standing in the cue in a low cost Supermarket, where they don't have baskets and I'm complaining loudly that "my arms are falling off" [ carrying all the stuff], when my husband gives me a hefty nudge and points out the guy in front of me...yeah you guessed it, he had no arms...shit, what are the odds of that happening?

Once when I was little, we were followed by a car through the "Grand-Canyon" in France, for miles, until my Dad parked up and confronted the people, turned out they were a young couple who wanted to go to Germany, had seen our numberplates and decided to follow us [ unfortunately for them we were only out for the day and would have gone back to our hotel rather than back home].

A Police friend of mine once had a car follow them for miles until they stopped and had a go at the driver for "following a police car", when the scared little man pointed out that their display [which they had forgotten to turn off - it had only been installed that day] showed in large letters "Follow Me".

Boring, sorry but thats my 2 pennies worth.

Ah Dingo, not boring ... never boring. You have a fantastic sense of the absurd and life's rewarding you by giving you lot's of absurdity, by the sounds of it.

And the Killer Christmas Tree certainly lived up to its promise ! I can relate absolutely to the compusure-shredding series of frustrations. Brilliant story .. wonderfully expressed ... and Well Done for seeing it through !

I promise at some point to write about the elderly Austrailian/cockney (His description) with a slight obsession for Turkish men and gay acts of oral sex (No, he wasn't into that kind of thing, it was disgusting! ;) ) who had a conspiricy theory about the renial unit of ST Marys' hospital in Portsmouth that took him from Robert Kilroy Silk, to Sinn Fien and beyond...And also about his (Not his own mind, his friend 'Phemie') DIY funeral and embalming. Only cost him £160.00.
I've just written a very long and emotional e-mail which is why I won't give you the full story now, but will in due course.

This is similar to one of Dingo's tales.

In the 70s I had a pale blue Triumph Herald estate. One evening I'd driven into to town to briefly visit some hostelry, and when I came out I had trouble unlocking the driver's door. Now this wasn't the first time this had happened, so I went to the back to get in the door there. But when I lifted the door I was annoyed to see that my tool box was missing - someone must have nicked it! :evil:

But slowly the light dawned - this wasn't my car, but another one of the same model and colour! (But my key worked perfectly well in its lock!)

Just as well a cop didn't saunter by as I was climbing in the back and ask some embarassing questions....

Odd things happening to me have mostly consisted of incredibly stupid accidents.

I sat down on my computer chair once, and felt a horrible pain in my foot..I looked down and it had a chunk taken out of it, a piece of broken glass stuck to it. I apparently had tracked the piece of glass onto my foot and when I put my foot up on the chair, the sharp edge dragged along my skin and cut me. I left a small trail of blood on the floor and carpet as I went to get help.

I also once stepped on a scorpion. I was going into the bathroom in the middle of the night to take a leak. I was barefoot, which usually presents no problems. The light switch by the bathroom door is broken, so you have to use the one that's a few steps away beside the mirror. I was walking over to it to do exactly that, when I suddenly heard a loud CRUUUUUUNCH.
I paused, because when you're walking in a bathroom, you don't expect to hear crunching noises.
A nasty, stabbing pain shot through the bottom of my foot and I hurried to turn the light on. I looked down, and there was a small common scorpion with it's guts splayed out onto my foot, twitching it's stinger as if to flip me off for killing it. I went hopping out of the room on my good foot bellowing "Shit!" over and over.
The ridiculous thing about this is that it was in the middle of the open floor, in the dark, for no apparent reason.

I also once stabbed myself in the thumb with an x-acto while trying to open a stupid plastic blister pack. It embedded into my thumb almost all the way to the other side of my digit, which indicates the force I was using with the scalpel. I yanked it out and ran out of the room screaming and bleeding everywhere(Notice a pattern?).

I also once grabbed the lid to a can and it cut several of my fingers. I was opening the can using the electric opener and it slipped out of my hand. I tried to catch it, but the lid had come loose from the magnet along with the can, and I grabbed the lid instead, which embedded it into my hand. I shrieked, yanked it out, and hopped up and down with pain while cursing gratuitously.

Non-injury-related weird things:

Once I went to a party at the lake that my cousin's church was throwing. There were a TON of people there. Anyway, someone had a puppy, so I was petting it and talking to the owner. After leaving her to eat something, I found out she's my cousin to a not very far away degree.
The lesson: Everyone is related in small towns in Georgia.

One of my swim teachers in the lessons I recently took once dated one of my cousins. Fortunately, they aren't related.
The lesson: Everyone has dated each other in small towns in Georgia.

I am related directly to one person who is my cousin, and related by a degree of one(or should it be two?) to another person, who is therefore my second cousin. They aren't related to each other, but I'm related to both of them. Needless to say, they are married.
The lesson: EVERYONE is related to each other in small towns in Georgia, even if not by blood. And nobody cares very much, except me.

Back