• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

OOPArts: Out Of Place Artefacts & Archaeological Erratics

does it have to be a bullet.
could it have been say a sharpened bamboo pole wound between two ropes much like a catapult. a trap

Nah, it was probably aliens, trying to capture a specimen to take back to the planet Zog.

Carole

DerekH said:
P.S. How come none of the arks ever settled on top of Everest? I mean, world entirely covered with water, level eventually drops, what bit of terra firma appears first? :confused:

damned good point...

A global flood doesn't have to cover every mountain. It would have gone into legend if it just flooded most of the places people lived, which is, of course, primarily the lowlands.

(And if it did cover all the mountains, then the point mentioned above is valid - where did all the water come from?!)

If the Ark (or several arks, if there were more than one) fetched up on mountains, they may well have drifted onto them as much as settled down on them as the water fell. Even in the latter case, an ark would be unlikely to settle on the highest point of a mountain.

As for the actual floods responsible, the sea level rise after the last Ice Age is one, the flooding of the Black Sea basin is another, although the former may have been the direct cause of the latter.

It may happen again one day - the Dead Sea basin is below world sea level - and there may have been other instances in the past.

rynner said:
(And if it did cover all the mountains, then the point mentioned above is valid - where did all the water come from?!)

Strangely enough, in the local last week, someone said 'God created it, and then it evaporated'.

Methinks there's a problem here....

Ha! Got there first! Covered this one in "Old Thrad..." thread of "Earth Mysteries" on 28th March: if I may quote myself
if the entire planet was covered in water (and let's take it as read that it was) then the all-encompassing ocean would have been subject to tidal surges, there would still have been prevailing winds, etc, so why would the Ark have stayed where it was presumably built, i.e. in the Middle East? OK, so the Bible says atop Ararat, but then the Bible says lots of other dubious things (probably lost a bit in translation, from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English..). The Ark could well be in the Himalayas, the Andes, even under a glacier in the Antarctic for all we know.Or, and how's this for a wild speculation, up in the mountainous bits of Central Africa, from whence it's theorised the proto-female "Eve" came all those years ago?

Anyone looking for ark relics there?

How about this one?

I found this particular story interesting as I havent seen it before.

Ancient Aircraft

"Our resident MUFON psychologist and hypnotherapist, Dr. Ruth Hover, and her husband took a trip to the pyramids and temples of Egypt. In the temple at Abydios, she photographed a wall panel in a section where an overlaying panel with Egyptian heiroglyphics crumbled and fell, revealing an older panel beneath it. This older panel, shown below, contains embossed images of what appear to be ancient aircraft."

I think it should be fairly simple to work out what is going on here as anyone with knowledge of heiroglyphics should be able to clear this up. Egyptologists, as far as I know are aware of all the different symbols of heiroglyphics, so they must mean something. Anyone have any clues?

Another possibility for there exsistance could be either photographic forgery or physical forgery, i.e. a slab of wall falls off leaving a clean slate for writing a 'new' language which contains symbols that look mysteriously like airwolf.

There is of course,always the possiblity that the author was dyslexic!;)

Looking at the heiroglyphics, I think the 'helicopter' bears a resemblance to a sarcophagus and the 'plane' a resemlance to a bird.

Anyone else got any theories?

Dave Vader Tomb Raider

How come we always get to see the 'ancient aircraft', but no representations of the ancient airports, fuel manufacture and distribution infrastructure, aerospace manufacturing sites etc?

wintermute said:
How come we always get to see the 'ancient aircraft', but no representations of the ancient airports, fuel manufacture and distribution infrastructure, aerospace manufacturing sites etc?

Perhaps it's because like some African tribesman who in the early days of the airplane, described them as big silver birds, they would not have known what they were or where they came from.

Stylized Birds

It's even easier to believe they were simply stylizing birds and it only resembles an airplane to US, because we're used to seeing them.

Culture-bound analysis is often like this.

Re: Stylized Birds

FraterLibre said:
It's even easier to believe they were simply stylizing birds and it only resembles an airplane to US, because we're used to seeing them.
Culture-bound analysis is often like this.
I agree - Von Daniken built a whole career out of telling ignorant westerners that ancient carvings of people with halos and headresses depicted spacesuit-wearing astronauts.
However, I often wonder whether the dinosaurs ever had a civilisation. After all, they had many millions of years to evolve and I remember reading somewhere that some of them could have been warm-blooded and at least semi-intelligent. Any civilisation that they might have developed would have been utterly wiped out by the asteroid catastrophe; any traces left after that would have been derstroyed by time.

My two cents.

Could the embedded items be products of time travel gone wrong? Meaning, maybe in the not-to-distant future, we begin playing with some sort of time-travel technology. We start by sending objects with no clue of there destination and it appears to work. But what they didn't know is that some objects came back in the middle of a future-non-existent mountain or whatever.
So, thinking we have some sort of success rate, we send man...which again would explain a failure rate with bodies embedded in stone...finally, we send machines...explaining ancient aircraft??

I remember the Philidelphia Experiment supposidly having some of the crew men being embedded in the ship's decks??

Sounds crazy, but I like this theory myself. What do fella's think?:madeyes:

I find such anomolies fascinating, but as for their true origins I continue to be stumped.

Shell Game

Which is easier to believe, that such OOPARTs are the result of teleportation or time travel gone awry; remnants of unknown cultures; or mistakes and hoaxes?

I know which cup I think the pea is under. How about you, take a chance? Can't win if you don't play.

Lol - yep, nice point ;) Have any of new anomolies like this been dug up recently (within the past 10 years or so)?

do people ever find these things that seem BEYOND our current technology?

To read more about the amazing "air craft" ( Vimana )
Quite takes me back to the days of reading good old, Erich Von Daniken. He was always on about stuff like Vimana and that.

Don't Childress and a few others have a religious agenda of some sort? That the Hindu version of world history is correct, or something like that?

Good Find

This makes perfect sense and is a probable solution to wild interpretations, but they certainly do put one in mind of modern aircraft and so on, don't they?

In an old old FT i have (thanks to Dawhat), there is a letter in referring to one of these future objects found in the past, but the correspondent encloses some drawings of some gods from various cultures (i haven;t got it to hand ATM), one of whom has what looks like a bih ghunky mobile phone, and the other 2 with apparently snazzy handbags and wristwatches. It is very very cool

Re: How about this one?

Originally posted by Dave Vader
I found this particular story interesting as I havent seen it before.

"Our resident MUFON psychologist and hypnotherapist, Dr. Ruth Hover, and her husband took a trip to the pyramids and temples of Egypt. In the temple at Abydios, she photographed a wall panel in a section where an overlaying panel with Egyptian heiroglyphics crumbled and fell, revealing an older panel beneath it. This older panel, shown below, contains embossed images of what appear to be ancient aircraft."

-------------------------------------------------

I've read something like this before, only about a model 'plane found in a grave, and thought it might have been in Peter James and Nick Thorpe's 'Ancient Inventions', but can't find it there at all. Next likliest place I saw it was in the pages of FT itself, with New Scientist being the next most likely place after that. The article, as I recall, suggested that the model was a simple toy glider (the grave was a child's), and that ancient Egyptians knowing how to make toy gliders was far less of a stretch of the imagination than might be supposed. After all, which came first: the paper aeroplane or concorde?

odd world

Yes. I've read a few of those way back - there was the skull of an auroch, which is a kind of ancient moose, which was excavated in Siberia. There was a perfectly round hold in the front of the skull and expert examination revealled it to be a bullet from a modern firearm. There was also a modern brass screw found in a strata of neolithic rock someone in Utah.

I have a feeling I might have read these in one of Erich Von Danikin's books, so not sure how much credence this gives them.....

Re: odd world

hecate said:
Yes. I've read a few of those way back - there was the skull of an auroch, which is a kind of ancient moose, which was excavated in Siberia. There was a perfectly round hold in the front of the skull and expert examination revealled it to be a bullet from a modern firearm.

iirc an auroch is a extinct cow type animal

Mystery as century-old Swiss watch discovered in ancient tomb sealed for 400 years
By Cher Thornhill
Last updated at 4:34 PM on 18th December 2008

Archaeologists are stumped after finding a 100-year-old Swiss watch in an ancient tomb that was sealed more than 400 years ago.

They believed they were the first to visit the Ming dynasty grave in Shangsi, southern China, since its occupant's funeral.

But inside they uncovered a miniature watch in the shape of a ring marked 'Swiss' that is thought to be just a century old.
The mysterious timepiece was encrusted in mud and rock and had stopped at 10:06 am.

Watches were not around at the time of the Ming Dynasty and Switzerland did not even exist as a country, an expert pointed out.
The archaeologists were filming a documentary with two journalists when they made the puzzling discovery.

'When we tried to remove the soil wrapped around the coffin, suddenly a piece of rock dropped off and hit the ground with metallic sound,' said Jiang Yanyu, former curator of the Guangxi Museum.

'We picked up the object, and found it was a ring.

'After removing the covering soil and examining it further, we were shocked to see it was a watch,' he added.

The Ming Dynasty - or the Empire of the Great Ming - was the was ruling dynasty in China from 1368 to 1644.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... years.html

EDIT: This story seems to be all over the popular press world-wide, but all the stories seem to be copies of each other!

Obviously been lost by a time-traveller... ;)

BTW: for some reason, in my experince, that suggestion seems to upset the ancient astronaut and lost supercivilization crowds...given that it's no more or less likely than other explainations of anachronistic artefacts or remains.

interesting and weird, but i guess it does go to show that sealed tombs (or perhaps even stratification) can be compromised.

maybe earlier explorers had been there and sealed it again behind them, planning to return?

Back