• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

OOPArts: Out Of Place Artefacts & Archaeological Erratics

Excellent. :)
Well done, bless. :)
On the other hand though Steven, what if Blessmycottonsocks is a liar who's a time traveller who has some nefarious reason for covering up the existence of trilobites in relatively modern times?. Like when we re found a coelacanth fish and now he's an underground coelacanth farmer catering only to mega wealthy foodies who prefer them to be fed with trilobites but doesn't want the rest of us to find out?. That's extremely unlikely I'll admit but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
:hahazebs: Dash it all, Holmes - I hadn't considered any of those realistic possibilities!

:hahazebs: Dash it all, Holmes - I hadn't considered any of those realistic possibilities!
I'm here all week Watson. Or until I hopefully don't irritate a mod. The chase is afoot!.

On the other hand though Steven, what if Blessmycottonsocks is a liar who's a time traveller who has some nefarious reason for covering us the existence of trilobites in relatively modern times?. Like when we re found a coelacanth fish and now he's an underground coelacanth farmer catering only to mega wealthy foodies who prefer them to be fed them trilobites but doesn't want the rest of us to find out?. That's extremely unlikely I'll admit but stranger things have happened.
And I would have got away with it too if it wasn't for you pesky forumists.....

This was on today's Quora.
An artifact dating from around 1,000 BC was discovered in Tushpa, Turkey in 1973 and now resides in the Istanbul Museum.
The 5.7" / 14.5 cm object has been described as resembling a figure, clad in a quilted suit, sitting in the cockpit of a rocket-like device.

rocket.png

An artifact dating from around 1,000 BC was discovered in Tushpa, Turkey in 1973 and now resides in the Istanbul Museum.
The 5.7" / 14.5 cm object has been described as resembling a figure, clad in a quilted suit, sitting in the cockpit of a rocket-like device.

View attachment 75018
Reminds me of this from an unknown artist in 1350;

Attachments

• FM.jpg
    FM.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 19
Funny innit? Ancient astronauts ride about in rockets or sputniks whereas modern aliens ride about in saucers or tic tacs - their technology's come on a lot in a few thousand years.

View attachment 75018
This one always makes me chuckle. You just have to flip it on its side to see that it’s quite clearly an abstracted figurine of a short character in a conical hat. The parts interpreted as a spacesuit arms in the imaginative (to be charitable!) rendering are actually a large mouth and eyes.
I think if you could see it from other angles any semblance of a little retro rocket ship would vanish,

View attachment 75018
.. Or if you rotate it, a kind of stylised head with a hat..

1711299011293.png

View attachment 75018

Someone stood this object upright instead a few years back. I haven't got a link sorry but they reckoned it's instead a carving of a head wearing a helmet and provided pictures of similar era ones.
arocket.png

Someone stood this object upright instead a few years back. I haven't got a link sorry but they reckoned it's instead a carving of a head wearing a helmet and provided pictures of similar era ones.
View attachment 75028
@hunck beat you to it!

Must admit that I'm not entirely convinced either way.
In a vertical configuration, it does look like a stylised gnome-head, but I still struggle to unsee those boots!
A shame that the "head" of the astronaut or "nose" of the gnome has been broken off, as that would surely make the identification much clearer.

View attachment 75028
Why has it got three legs...and in that arrangement?

I'm sure I've seen that space rocket/hat in one of Erich von Däniken's books of a thousand futile questions:

'Why are the world's secret libraries secret?'
'Where are my socks?'
'What's for dinner?'

Etc etc.

The plot thickens...

Interesting short video, featuring the Istanbul "rocket man", along with several other ancient artefacts resembling astronauts. A rumour surfaced a few years ago that the object in the Istanbul museum was a plaster-cast, no more than 25 years old. But, even if that were the case, what isn't clear is whether it is a plaster copy of a genuinely ancient and enigmatic artefact, or a totally made-up modern hoax.

According to this blog the ancient spaceman/garden gnome featured in Fortean Times in October 1993.

The space module which was sought after by German and English archeologists in the beginning of the 1990’s was for a long time secured in the preservation unit of the museum. The first who succeeded in photographing the space module was the English Magazine “Fortean Times”. The Magazine, which showed a picture of the sculpture and head lined “Is it an ancient space module?” in their October 1993 issue was followed by the German magazine “Magazin 2000”.

If it's a rocket ship, why does it look like something from the golden age of scifi instead of how actual rockets look?

Back