• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

There's a first time for everything, and I did something daft today that I've never managed before.

I've been wearing contact lenses for many years - no, not the same pair, thank you - and they're the sort you have to take out at night. This morning, I was giving them an extra rinse before putting them in, and I guess it upset my normal routine a bit. Anyway, I put the left one in, no problem, then fiddled about with the other one, and put that one in... my left eye. Didn't notice for a few seconds, until I looked up and thought things weren't terribly well focused. I took the lens back out, and now I had two lenses in my hand, stuck together! After much dunking and gentle pulling apart, I finally managed to get them separated, and then back into my eyes again - one in each this time.

Ever since, I've had a low-level headache, not enough to be a migraine, but enough to be off-putting, and I'm wondering if, despite my best efforts, I've managed to get my left and right lenses swapped over. Luckily, my lens prescription is a fairly low number (ie I'm not particularly short-sighted), and the two lenses, though different, only differ by 0.25 whatever it is they measure these things in (diopters?). Nonetheless, something's not right, and I feel as if my eyes are having to work harder than they ought to.

I don't have glasses, and I'm loath to chuck these lenses just yet, as they're monthly, and September is too far off!

I've worn contact lenses for over thirty years and I too have occasionally done this. Soft lenses are a bugger to pry apart, so you have my sympathy. (I'm assuming yours are soft).

I suspect your guess about the headache being caused by having accidentally switched lenses is correct. I'm very near-sighted but my vision has been stable for a number of years, although the number of "floaters" has increased recently. I always knew when my vision was deteriorating because I would get that low-level headache you've described. The difference between my left and right lenses is 2.0 unit-thingies so I immediately know if I've got them reversed. I'd recommend grabbing the saline solution (or whatever you use to rinse them with) and setting them straight. No point in putting up with a headache that can be easily remedied.

This idiot was kindly doing the Force's work for them!

Edit as the photo isn't clear -
The police arrived to see a man who'd rung 999 by mistake and found his cannabis farm!

Attachments

• 21150161_1416858615066326_6181267124213956966_n.jpg
    21150161_1416858615066326_6181267124213956966_n.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Classic case of out of the frying pan...
Man jumps into ocean to escape police, gets chased by shark instead
By Fox News

August 31, 2017 | 5:33pm | Updated

Modal Trigger
upload_2017-9-13_8-59-45.gif

Zachary KingsburyPender County Sheriff's Office

A North Carolina man allegedly attempted to elude police Wednesday by diving into the ocean and swimming away — but was unknowingly just feet away from a shark while trying the brazen escape.

Zachary Kingsbury, 20, was pulled over for a traffic stop just before 5 p.m. in Surf City, according to WECT.

He allegedly tried to escape when officers spotted illegal contraband inside the vehicle and asked him to exit the car. Kingsbury jumped into the ocean and began swimming away, leading to an hours-long standoff, officials said.

Etc...

http://nypost.com/2017/08/31/man-ju...2&tse_id=INF_ec0a15e097dd11e7aba2ffcf7683ccd7

RSPCA called to rescue lizard that turns out to be a sock

A family has been left "quite mortified" after calling the RSPCA

An RSPCA officer was called to an address in Coventry by the family, scared by a "lizard" under the bed.

The officer, Vic Hurr, said she approached the unmoving reptile "cautiously" at the house on Goring Road, unable to identify its breed.

On closer inspection, Ms Hurr realised it was not a lizard, but a dirty sock.

_97797211_sock1.jpg

It's morphing into a horse with a beard! Sock + DNA = naming & shaming from now on!

But the only person named here was the RSPCA man: Vic Hurr! Missed his true vocation to be either a Roman or a cleric. :dunno:

I can't believe that some reporter thought this was news worthy. Funny yes, but not news worthy.

Last week I was sat out in the garden looking at the crop of plums.

'Yep, another week and they will be ripe for picking'.

Two nights ago the wind picked up.

Now the floor is covered with split plums.

Looks like it is 'make plum wine' time.

Still a lot on the tree that are not damaged though.

INT21.

ORLANDO, Fla. - The City of Orlando paid $37,500 to a man to settle a lawsuit after police officers arrested him for what they thought was meth but was actually tiny flakes of glaze from a Krispy Kreme doughnut.

Daniel Rushing sued the city after a field test incorrectly showed he had drugs and he was taken to jail.

He received the check in the mail last week, he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...meth-gets-dollar37500-from-orlando/ar-AAtmWOH

It's now illegal to eat a Krispy Kreme doughnut in Orlando?

I was doing my usual procrastinating last night. I had to go to the bank and the grocery store. Around 8:30pm I decided it was time to get a move on. I took a quick shower, brushed out my hair, got dressed, put on my spectacles, grabbed my purse, my list and the keys and left.

I'm too short (my arms/hands can't reach all the buttons) to use the ATM drive through machine so, I had to park and go into the bank. Took out my money and then I couldn't find the pocket on my trousers to put my cash away. That was when I realized that I had put them on backwards. :loopy: Finished my shopping and went home.
I went to Morissons, I tried to put something in my back pocket and found I had my trousers on back to front, so I went into the toilet to change, while I was in there I discovered I had my top on inside out :facepalm:

ORLANDO, Fla. - The City of Orlando paid $37,500 to a man to settle a lawsuit after police officers arrested him for what they thought was meth but was actually tiny flakes of glaze from a Krispy Kreme doughnut.

Daniel Rushing sued the city after a field test incorrectly showed he had drugs and he was taken to jail.

He received the check in the mail last week, he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...meth-gets-dollar37500-from-orlando/ar-AAtmWOH
Well, we all know sugar and KK doughnuts are bad for your health, but I didn't realise sugar was a controlled substance yet...

Lucky it's only a skinny little coyote.

You can drop an anvil on the bigger, more troublesome coyotes.

A few years ago I went to Lesvos for my holidays.

The trip from the airport to the hotel was by taxi.

Our car was parked outside and the driver was talking to a friend.

I was half way in before I realised I was getting into the driving seat.

INT21

Facebook has apologised after an error in its machine-translation service saw Israeli police arrest a Palestinian man for posting “good morning” on his social media profile.

The man, a construction worker in the West Bank settlement of Beitar Illit, near Jerusalem, posted a picture of himself leaning against a bulldozer with the caption “يصبحهم”, or “yusbihuhum”, which translates as “good morning”.

But Facebook’s artificial intelligence-powered translation service, which it built after parting ways with Microsoft’s Bing translation in 2016, instead translated the word into “hurt them” in English or “attack them” in Hebrew.
Police officers arrested the man later that day, according to Israeli newspaper Haaretz, after they were notified of the post. They questioned him for several hours, suspicious he was planning to use the pictured bulldozer in a vehicle attack, before realising their mistake. At no point before his arrest did any Arabic-speaking officer read the actual post.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...d-morning-attack-them-arrest?CMP=share_btn_tw

Allison Pohle‏Verified account@AllisonPohle
Someone in the neighborhood Facebook group my mom belongs to washed a coyote because they thought it was a dog

DMWP6EKX4AE1jdP.jpg

3:46 PM - 17 Oct 2017

Another coyote-dog.

ASHBURNHAM, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts man has mistaken a coyote for his neighbor's dog and has been bitten several times.

Police say the man was bitten on Sunday evening in Ashburnham and they're advising people to stay away from coyotes, foxes and unfamiliar dogs.

Police say the man was in his yard when he saw the coyote and approached it. They say the coyote attacked him and then ran into the woods.

http://wjla.com/news/offbeat/man-in...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

For future reference ... Don't use your personal defense device as a pocket tool in a crowded space ... :roll:

Man tries to open beer with pepper spray; it doesn’t go well
It’s legal to drink beer in German movie theaters — but it’s probably not a good idea to try to open your beer bottle with a pepper spray canister.

However, that’s exactly what a thirsty moviegoer tried doing at a cinema Monday night in the northwestern German town of Osnabrueck.

Instead of opening his beer, the 29-year-old man broke his pepper spray container and some 200 people had to quickly leave the theater in tears. ...

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/67f506c0cc2645bf...en-beer-with-pepper-spray;-it-doesn't-go-well

German police find 'WW2 bomb' was big courgette
_98603671_gerpolzucchini.jpg
Image copyrightKARLSRUHE POLICE
Image captionPolice agreed with the elderly man that the vegetable looked like a bomb
A German pensioner feared a monster courgette he found in his garden was an unexploded World War Two bomb and called the police.

The 5kg (11-pound) courgette had probably been thrown over a hedge into the 81 year old's garden, police said.

Luckily no evacuation was required in Bretten, a town near Karlsruhe in south-west Germany.

The 40cm (16-inch) vegetable - also called zucchini - "really did look like a bomb", police said.

etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41857694

Date mix-up results in school photo as troll

Scarlett Campbell, 3, arrived Burnside Nursery in Carnoustie with bright pink hair and pink face paint dressed as Trolls character Princess Poppy.

But mum Lisa, 32, had got her days mixed up and Scarlett was a day early for her party and instead had to have her official photo taken dressed as the colourful troll.

PAY-Cascade_Scarlett_Campbell_troll001JPG.jpg

Mum orders Peppa Pig cake for daughter's birthday - but what she gets is very different
The bakery asked Karen Moroney to bring in the image she wanted on the cake on a USB memory stick - but there was a bit of a mix-up

USB-cake.jpg

Layla-Valentina Moroney, 2, is a big Peppa Pig fan - so her mum had an idea for a birthday surprise

A mum who ordered Peppa Pig birthday cake for her daughter's second birthday didn't quite get what she was looking for.

When Karen Moroney's little girl Layla-Valentina turned two, Karen knew a Peppa Pig cake would be the perfect way to mark the celebration.

Karen put in an order with her local bakery and even supplied a photo of the popular cartoon character for reference.

“They asked me to bring in the image I wanted on the cake on a memory stick and they would scan it on to the cake", Karen explained.

“So I did...

Etc

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mum-orders-peppa-pig-cake-11477597

Back