Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Doesn't anyone else think the tattoo - and hence the photo - looks a little too 'perfect', and therefore wonder whether this could be another attention-grabbing hoax like the Iranian woman Sahar Tabar who claimed deformity from plastic surgeries intended to make her look like Angelina Jolie?

See this November 2017 post:

https://forum.forteantimes.com/inde...t-make-you-go-wtf.26340/page-334#post-1721982

... and also:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/iranian-woman-angelina-jolie-plastic-surgery/

https://nypost.com/2017/12/06/zombiefied-angelina-jolie-look-a-like-reveals-shes-a-total-fraud/

Tribble

Furry Idiot
Doesn't anyone else think the tattoo - and hence the photo - looks a little too 'perfect', and therefore wonder whether this could be another attention-grabbing hoax
Can't rule that out. (Posing with the begloved tattoo artist suggests it's fresh - doesn't tattooing make the skin red and inflamed?)

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Doesn't anyone else think the tattoo - and hence the photo - looks a little too 'perfect', and therefore wonder whether this could be another attention-grabbing hoax like the Iranian woman Sahar Tabar who claimed deformity from plastic surgeries intended to make her look like Angelina Jolie?

See this November 2017 post:

https://forum.forteantimes.com/inde...t-make-you-go-wtf.26340/page-334#post-1721982

... and also:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/iranian-woman-angelina-jolie-plastic-surgery/

https://nypost.com/2017/12/06/zombiefied-angelina-jolie-look-a-like-reveals-shes-a-total-fraud/
Yup, that's not a fresh tattoo. It'd be red round the edges. Also, it's a big job to be done in one sitting, so part would be red and part not. Hoax.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
If you look really closely at that shapely thigh (with a magnifying glass), you will see that there is a very feint 'halo' around the letters.

It is a photo-shopped image.

INT21

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
Shopper’s shock as couple accidentally upload their sex photos in packed Doncaster supermarket

A couple were left red-faced – after accidentally uploading a stash of their explicit sex pictures to a computer in front of shocked shoppers at a Doncaster supermarket. The couple inadvertently shared more than a dozen raunchy snaps in the Bawtry Road branch of Asda yesterday afternoon – and were left frantically trying to delete the pictures as other shoppers looked on.
etc
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.u...IatrojybR--aQ_kGXYzEP0a1HKPG3gdwqDN1oHqTzLqMQ

Stink bombs, not gas leaks.

Paisley’s town centre and train station were evacuated by emergency services responding to a gas scare that is now thought to have been caused by a stink bomb.

The pungent stench erupted in The Last Post, a JD Wetherspoon pub close to the Scottish town’s railway station, shortly after 8pm last night.

JD Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gorshon told BBC Scotland that the smell of a “gas substance” was noticed by a member of staff, who alerted the pub manager.

“The gas engineer arrived and he concluded that it was not a gas leak. The manager was told to keep everyone out of the building,” Gershon said.

“At around 21.30 the fire brigade and police arrived and begin to set up a cordon around the entire pub and shut Paisley Gilmour street train station.”

http://www.theweek.co.uk/97269/pais...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Tribble

Furry Idiot

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Helpful Tip: Don't use a blowtorch to kill spiders inside your house ...

Blowtorch used to kill spiders may have started house fire
Authorities say a man apparently set a California home on fire while using a blowtorch to kill spiders. ...

Authorities say a man was house-sitting for his parents when he tried to kill black widow spiders with a blowtorch. He got out safely, but the home’s attic and second story were damaged. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/65fb2f33bce94b598c7636b0c9fa5285

hunck

Justified & Ancient
This is tragic

Man dies 8 years after swallowing garden slug as a dare at party

Mr Barker was taken to hospital after spells of dizziness and vomiting. He was found to have been infected with rat lungworm, a parasite normally found in rats but also sometimes in snails and slugs.

The teenager then contracted eosinophilic meningoencephalitis, a form of meningitis, and lapsed into a coma for 420 days before doctors revived him.

But when he woke he was diagnosed with a serious brain injury. Further complications from the original infection left him paralysed and in need of constant care.

“Sam was 19, and in a single night, his life had changed forever,”

“While doctors had managed to save him in time, he was now confined to a wheelchair, with limited communication skills, and needing 24 hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week care.”

“His friends have stuck by him ever since. On Friday, Sam passed away, surrounded by his family and loyal, loving mates.”

EnolaGaia

Staff member

escargot

Beloved of Ra
It seems it happens now and then so this wasn't a unique incident, though most people don't suffer such catastrophic effects. Yup, people eat slugs.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
The silly mistake ?

Not taking notice of my own knowledge base.

For a year I have been intending to change the timing belt on my car.

I'm a mechanic/machinist, well, was.

And I know all about timing belts.

And tonight it snapped.

It is difficult to kick one self hard enough to express the stupidity.

INT21

Last edited:

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
The silly mistake ?

Not taking notice of my own knowledge base.

For a year I have been intending to change the timing belt on my car.

I'm a mechanic/machinist, well, was.

And I know all about timing belts.

And tonight it snapped.

It is difficult to kick one self had enough to express the stupidity.

INT21
Aw man, that can really do some damage. So what @Mythopoeika said.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Well, today being Sunday and the shops shut, I haven't looked yet.
That will be tomorrows task.
The engine wasn't turning over very quickly when it happened. And it didn't make the hideous clatter of a complete disintegration.

It all depends upon the position of the cam shaft when the belt broke.

I have been on the web to some folks I know who have had similar experiences and two of them said they just replaced the belt and all was well.

So I hope for the best, while being ready for the worst.

If it won't run with a new belt then I have to calculate the cost of a second hand engine or the cost in parts,( maybe new valves) of repairing the old one.

Or simply scrap the car. It is seventeen year old.

But I don't want to do that.

By this time tomorrow night I'll know.

INT21.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Well, today being Sunday and the shops shut, I haven't looked yet.
That will be tomorrows task.
The engine wasn't turning over very quickly when it happened. And it didn't make the hideous clatter of a complete disintegration.

It all depends upon the position of the cam shaft when the belt broke.

I have been on the web to some folks I know who have had similar experiences and two of them said they just replaced the belt and all was well.

So I hope for the best, while being ready for the worst.

If it won't run with a new belt then I have to calculate the cost of a second hand engine or the cost in parts,( maybe new valves) of repairing the old one.

Or simply scrap the car. It is seventeen year old.

But I don't want to do that.

By this time tomorrow night I'll know.

INT21.
Ouch.

What car is it?

The tale of a Tail used instead of a Tale. Will she now tail the opposition in the polls?

A supporter of Bangladeshi PM Sheikh Hasina threatened to sue a cinema over a spelling error that inadvertently suggested she had a "tail".

The cinema in Dhaka misspelled the title, Hasina: A Daughter's Tale - but has since corrected it.

Hasina supporter Saad Chowdhury said the word tail was "elfish"; suggested part of an animal, and was humiliating.

He demanded the Blockbuster cinema correct the error and apologise publicly or face a $90m (£70m) lawsuit.

Bangladesh will hold a general election next month, with Prime Minister Hasina and her Awami League hoping to retain power.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46252184

EnolaGaia

Staff member
... If it won't run with a new belt then I have to calculate the cost of a second hand engine or the cost in parts,( maybe new valves) of repairing the old one. ...
The first thing to do is identify your engine and check whether it's an 'interference' versus 'non-interference' design. 'Interference' refers to valves 'interfering' (clashing on / with) the camshaft if the timing belt's (or chain's) coordination is lost. Valve damage is more likely with the 'interference' version, but unlikely with the 'non-interference' version.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
The engine is a TUD 5. It appears that it may survive a belt break.

The only engine that I have experience with that definitely will survive is one of the early Vauxhall Diesels.
If the belt snapped the pistons did collide with the valves, but a stress mark in the valve rocker allowed the rocker to break and saved the rest of the motor.

My local motor factor didn't have a belt in stock today, so it will be tomorrow when I do the job; or maybe Wednesday if it is raining. Having to do it outside.

INT21.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Mark 2 MR2s have non-interference belts - I only know that cos our mechanic was singing their praises the other day.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
When trying to see what MO had posted above (I only get a blank post using Firefox) I tried using Avast Secure Browser. This usually solves the problem. Or it did on the old site.

But now ASB won't let me onto this site, and the reason in gives is...

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure.

So, are we now moving into an era where the internet is going to be divided up depending upon which browser one uses ?

Google Earth is no longer downloadable if you don't use their Chrome browser.

What will be next ?

Anyway. Maximus otter, If that last post of your was aimed at me (it was in the middle of a subject I was discussing with others) you will have to provide some other elucidation.

INT21