• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

I know that the majority of passenger flights carry a substantial amount of cargo anyway - often the passengers are less profitable than the cargo!
But refitting an entire aircraft for cargo - I can't see it. The passenger part is a pressurised area whereas the cargo hold isn't AFAIK.
And there is a huge amount of additional support equipment fitted for passengers that would need to be removed to maximise cargo space (toilets, galley, crew areas etc etc)

Since when did cargo planes have windows?
In commercial aviation there are a lot of dual-use aircraft that can be configured for all cargo, all passengers, or a mix of the two. Given the decrease in passenger traffic during the pandemic I have little doubt some airlines converted passenger haulers to cargo usage just to sustain their revenue stream.

But refitting an entire aircraft for cargo - I can't see it. The passenger part is a pressurised area whereas the cargo hold isn't AFAIK.
And there is a huge amount of additional support equipment fitted for passengers that would need to be removed to maximise cargo space (toilets, galley, crew areas etc etc)
Refitting retired airliners for cargo is a big business. There are many types of planes no longer in passenger service painted up in FedEx livery and the like. Used to be they removed the windows and filled the holes in with metal, among many other operations. The pandemic has changed the airline business in profound ways. I've read of some airlines that hastily pulled out the seats and loaded the planes with cargo as passenger travel disappeared and the freight business increased sharply. Not the most efficient way to operate, of course, but a way to stay afloat.

Of course new cargo planes are bought from Boeing (and others) routinely too.

Yeah if you're changing your business model for the long-term then it makes sense, but (eg) I can't see there would be any sense in British Airways deciding to pull one flight because it doesn't have enough passengers to make it viable that day and just fill it with cargo instead.

Gems found in a village in S. Africa, that started a diamond rush, were quartz.

"The South African government says that stones found in a village last month are not diamonds but quartz.

A cattle herder first uncovered the stones in KwaZulu-Natal province. It prompted thousands to rush to KwaHlathi village, more than 300km (186 miles) south-east of Johannesburg.

But after conducting tests, officials have said the stones are quartz crystals, which are far less valuable.

After feldspar, quartz is the most abundant mineral in the Earth's crust."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-57548406

An unusual approach to combatting Covid-19:
Satanise your hands.jpg

A lifelike king cobra toy sparked an RSPCA visit in Workington.
Animal rescuer discovers 'king cobra' in garden was a plastic toy

... The RSPCA said a resident of Workington, England, spotted what she believed to be a venomous snake on a chair in a neighbor's garden and called her son, who contacted Cumbria Police. ...

Police called the RSPCA for assistance and Inspector Martyn Fletcher responded to the scene.

"As the woman thought the snake had moved, the police took it seriously and called us," Fletcher said ... "It's really important in these situations to confine the animal as safely as possible, particularly if it's suspected that the snake may be venomous."

Fletcher said he quickly discovered "this king cobra was the plastic kind." ...

"It appears that the toy had come from children in a neighboring garden -- so the snake has now been returned to its home" ...
FULL STORY (With Photo): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...plastic-toy-Workington-England/1231624552603/

You plonkers! Daughter, 19, opens her father's £2,000 vintage Petrus to make sangria at house party with her friends after it was saved for 17 years​

Having kept it safe for nearly two decades, Pete Jones was looking forward to the day he would finally open his prized bottle of wine on a special occasion.

But the restaurateur expat's dream of savouring his 1999 vintage Petrus, worth £2,000, was shattered when his teenage daughter and her friends used it to make sangria.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...athers-2-000-vintage-Petrus-make-sangria.html

A big banking silly mistake

When a woman in Baton Rouge checked her family's bank account, she was a bit surprised by the balance.

The bank had accidentally deposited $50 billion into their account. Her husband called the bank to report the error but according to reports, it took them as long as four days to fix their error. Seems like they should give the family $1 million in thanks for their honesty. From UPI: ...

https://boingboing.net/2021/06/28/b...ted-50-billion-in-a-familys-bank-account.html

A big banking silly mistake

When a woman in Baton Rouge checked her family's bank account, she was a bit surprised by the balance.

The bank had accidentally deposited $50 billion into their account. Her husband called the bank to report the error but according to reports, it took them as long as four days to fix their error. Seems like they should give the family $1 million in thanks for their honesty. From UPI: ...

https://boingboing.net/2021/06/28/b...ted-50-billion-in-a-familys-bank-account.html
I smell a rat here. This is not the sort of mistake modern banks make.

Someone may have been trying some electronic embezzlement and got it wrong.

Should have kept schtum about it :p
Yup, I would! :chuckle:

The possible embezzler I was thinking of was either a bank employee or a hacker working from a position outside but with access to the bank. If they got things slightly wrong they might whizz the money down the wrong funnel and into my some random customer's account.

Whatever went wrong, we'll never hear about it as it proves the bank was either negligent or vulnerable.

I smell a rat here. This is not the sort of mistake modern banks make.

Someone may have been trying some electronic embezzlement and got it wrong.
The plot of a hundred Hollywood films... and I suppose you know nothing about the pistol and briefcase-sized nuclear bomb in the boot of your car either... Skip to frantic chase scenes and investigation by tough-but-fair detective.

The plot of a hundred Hollywood films... and I suppose you know nothing about the pistol and briefcase-sized nuclear bomb in the boot of your car either... Skip to frantic chase scenes and investigation by tough-but-fair detective.
Strike a light, yer got me bang ter rights, Guv, an' no mistake!

An arrest has been made.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57668657

French police say they have arrested a woman suspected of causing a huge crash during the Tour de France by waving a sign in the riders' path on Saturday.
The peloton was 45km (28 miles) from the end of the first stage, when her sign clipped German rider Tony Martin.
He fell to the ground and caused dozens of other riders to follow suit, in what was one of the Tour de France's worst ever crashes.
French authorities say the woman, who is French, is in custody in Landerneau.

Greek authorities arrested a pair of Albanians for drug trafficking, only to find out the suspicious powdery substance in their possession was crystallized wood glue.
Glue gaffe: 2 men freed in Greece after drug bust mix-up

A public prosecutor in northern Greece cleared two men arrested on drug trafficking charges after authorities acknowledged that a white substance seized in their car was adhesive powder and not cocaine ...

A state lab where the powder was analyzed said the substance seized by police, initially believed to be cocaine, was in fact wood glue powder that had partially crystallized due to the high temperature inside the car’s trunk.

Police detained the men for two days, while authorities confiscated their cellphones, the vehicle and 2,900 euros ($3,450) as alleged profits from drug trafficking. ...
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/article/europe-greece-oddities-e4b87248bd5d7ad075c6b8cb204313d5

When collecting corpses it's a good idea to turn off the radio in the private ambulance, in case it happens to play "Another One Bites The Dust."
Embarrassing moment ambulance waiting to collect corpses from funeral parlour blasts out Queen's 'Another One Bites the Dust' in front of stunned pedestrians

A funeral company has apologised after the vehicle it uses to transport corpses was filmed blasting out the hit Queen song Another One Bites the Dust.

In a severe case of unfortunate timing, the 1987 hit happened to be playing on the radio of the silver private ambulance while it was parked outside a funeral parlour on the Isle of Wight on Wednesday.

The irony of the moment was not lost on passersby, who filmed the vehicle as it played the Freddie Mercury-lead classic while one of its doors was left wide open. ...

The dark comedy moment happened outside the Co-op Funeralcare in Shanklin. ...
FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ral-parlour-blasts-Queens-One-Bites-Dust.html

Reminds of one of the 1970s 'modern' silent movies starring the likes of Eric Sykes and Marty Feldman.
The protagonists go on holiday and see a couple of fellow passengers lie on the beach in a close embrace.

When they get up one of the man's hands is outlined in the tan on his girlfriend's back. :chuckle:

Back