• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

"Lottery winner Trish Emson still lives in her former family council house and still works as a dinner lady 18 years after scooping the jackpot" (1.7 million). If winning the lottery doesn't change your life then it's wasted on you.

"Lottery winner Trish Emson still lives in her former family council house and still works as a dinner lady 18 years after scooping the jackpot" (1.7 million). If winning the lottery doesn't change your life then it's wasted on you.
I don't know anything about this particular person, but some winners help others with the money, and keep working because they enjoy the socializing.
It wouldn't be my first choice of wealthy lifestyle though . . .

Oops ... Animal rescue workers in California were called out to rescue an old halloween decoration nobody admitted knowing about.
Reported tarantula stranded on California roof was old Halloween prop

Animal rescuers in California were called out to assist a tarantula spotted stranded on the roof of a home ...

The Peninsula Humane Society said an animal control officer was dispatched to a San Mateo neighborhood to check on the tarantula. The officer received permission from the homeowners to attempt a rescue and climbed up to the roof with a plastic enclosure to capture the arachnid. ...

The humane society said in a Facebook post that the officer quickly discovered "it was actually a Halloween decoration, not a pet Tarantula."

"She said it looked like it had been up there for a while," Buffy Tarbox, the Peninsula Humane Society's communications manager, told SFGate. ...

The officer brought the plastic tarantula down from the roof to show the homeowners and the caller who originally spotted the faux-spider.

"The homeowners didn't know the decoration was there," Tarbox said. "Everyone thought it was real."

Tarbox said the officer brought the plastic spider back to the humane society's office in Burlingame. ...

"It became this funny thing where they were placing it on various people's desks," Tarbox said. "That joke wore a little thin. It was put into the trash."
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/1...ecoration-San-Mateo-California/1221633451649/

California firefighters were dispatched to rescue a woman stranded on the side of a cliff. The person in peril turned out to be a mannequin from a recent movie shoot.
Firefighters: 'Woman' stranded on cliff was movie mannequin

Firefighters called to a California beach to conduct a cliff rescue arrived to find the reported person clinging to the rocks actually was a mannequin from a movie shoot.

The Santa Barbara County Fire Department said witnesses at Hope Ranch Beach called 911 to report a woman appeared to be stranded on the side of the cliff without proper climbing gear. ...

Firefighters arrived with trucks, drones and utility vehicles, but the would-be rescuers soon discovered the "woman" was actually "a mannequin from movie shoot days earlier" ...
FULL STORY (With Photo): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/1...ire-Department-cliff-mannequin/5021633549026/

Let's not fool ourselves here.
We all know someone (probably) who got arrested in possession of a quantity of something but when the police listed it, it was a much smaller quantity than they know they had.
Not saying that police are crooks but, well, police are crooks.
John Lennon had the opposite problem. They actually left some on the kitchen table as 'evidence' against him.

Cardiff artwork washed off by cleaners in error​

"Artwork commissioned for Cardiff city centre has been washed away by cleaners following a "miscommunication error".

The murals were commissioned by For Cardiff, a body aimed at making the city "vibrant and welcoming".

They were painted to celebrate diversity by three young female artists, including Beth Blandford, who said she was "absolutely gutted".

For Cardiff apologised and said it was "due to a devastating error involving our cleansing contractor"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58939715

I wouldn't really call it 'artwork' or even 'murals'. Admittedly it does (did) contain some artistic quality but it basically looked like graffiti, albeit quite tidily done.
And it's not as though it can't just be repainted is it? I mean, it's no 'Mona Lisa' is it?

What I take from that story is that whoever they paid to do the cleaning didn't finish the job, leaving the top couple of feet uncleaned.

I wouldn't really call it 'artwork' or even 'murals'. Admittedly it does (did) contain some artistic quality but it basically looked like graffiti, albeit quite tidily done.
And it's not as though it can't just be repainted is it? I mean, it's no 'Mona Lisa' is it?

What I take from that story is that whoever they paid to do the cleaning didn't finish the job, leaving the top couple of feet uncleaned.
This is Cardiffs 'Mona Lisa'

p09d5xdp.jpg

My City, My Shirt: Cardiff mural 'Butetown's Mona Lisa'​

A motorist was fined for driving in a bus lane when the enforcement camera 'read' a word on a woman's teeshirt as his numberplate.

Motorist fined after CCTV confuses his number plate with woman’s T-shirt

David Knight told to pay £90 after KN19TER registration is mixed up with pedestrian’s ‘Knitter’ top 120 miles away

David Knight was baffled when he received a fine for driving in a bus lane in Bath – about 120 miles away from his home.

But the builder and his wife, Paula, who live in Dorking, Surrey, laughed when they examined the photographic evidence of their alleged infraction and saw a woman with the word “Knitter” on her T-shirt, which the computer had mixed up with Knight’s registration plate, KN19TER

Cardiff artwork washed off by cleaners in error​

"Artwork commissioned for Cardiff city centre has been washed away by cleaners following a "miscommunication error".
I like the work. It was vibrant. I have to wonder what kind of paint was used though, and why it wasn't more permanent. It shouldn't have been so easy to take off.

Miscommunication error”? Was that machine-translated from the original Welsh?

l can see it joining the palette of crap excuses: “Wardrobe malfunction”, “wrong type of snow”, etc.

(ls it just me, or does the word “vibrant” make everyone start looking for something with which to hit the user?)

maximus otter

Ohio unveiled its new license plate, only to find it displayed a glaring graphical error.
OhioTagError.jpg
Wright Brothers, wrong design: Ohio mangles license plate

Ohio’s debut of its new license plate failed to take off — because a banner depicted on the plate was attached to the wrong end of the Wright Brothers’ historic first plane, the Wright Flyer.

The new license plate illustrates rays of sunlight beaming into the sky, with a banner that reads “Birthplace of Aviation” draped across the horizon. But the banner, which should have been trailing behind the plane, was attached to its front. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/oddities-ohio-7529e8a5796c88b6b9a0dca290c4aa2b

Silly mistake yesterday. I took a load out of the washing machine and found everything covered in lint and bits of cotton. Brushed that off as best I could onto the floor whilst silently raging over leaving a tissue in a pocket - and then discovered the door seal gasket FULL of gloopy gunk. Was silently raging against whomever before me had left something behind in the drum. Then spotted the remains of a disposable Tena Men Active Fit Pants ('support for an active lifestyle' eg rock-climbing, rollerblading whilst being pulled by a dog on a lead etc). I had bought these as a safeguard on the train for men's problems down below involving blood loss and one got into my laundry basket. They claim to have a secure absorption zone with plus level absorbency control, but guess a drum load of water at 40C on a 63 min cycle proved too ambitious and the hydrogel beads (gloopy gunk) couldn't cope. Fortunately there was no-one in the communal Laundry Room as I tried to clear the floor of lint and clean the door seal of gunk with whatever was to hand. Tumbler separated the ick off the clothes, spent another quid on a rinse cycle to make sure the empty drum was clean.

Silly mistake yesterday. I took a load out of the washing machine and found everything covered in lint and bits of cotton. Brushed that off as best I could onto the floor whilst silently raging over leaving a tissue in a pocket - and then discovered the door seal gasket FULL of gloopy gunk. Was silently raging against whomever before me had left something behind in the drum. Then spotted the remains of a disposable Tena Men Active Fit Pants ('support for an active lifestyle' eg rock-climbing, rollerblading whilst being pulled by a dog on a lead etc). I had bought these as a safeguard on the train for men's problems down below involving blood loss and one got into my laundry basket. They claim to have a secure absorption zone with plus level absorbency control, but guess a drum load of water at 40C on a 63 min cycle proved too ambitious and the hydrogel beads (gloopy gunk) couldn't cope. Fortunately there was no-one in the communal Laundry Room as I tried to clear the floor of lint and clean the door seal of gunk with whatever was to hand. Tumbler separated the ick off the clothes, spent another quid on a rinse cycle to make sure the empty drum was clean.
We live and learn. :)
If that's your only accident you're doing fine. :wink2:

Could have been worse. Could have been someone else's.

I read this before going to work this morning and sympathised greatly as I have had to wear something similar since I had problems with kidney stones and stents.
sitting in a packed team meeting this afternoon I get a call from an irate Mrs T63 as it appears I dumped a pair of skiddies in the wash basket without removing said pad.
After abruptly interrupting her she sent me this close up of one of my black tee shirts

3515D85E-13E5-4CF7-98F7-C0ACBB0C9EE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Passengers at Heathrow airport wait for their baggage, but get frozen fish instead:
News story

No idea how this happened, is the airport staffed by robots or something? Anyway, let the fish puns commence. And no carping.

Silly mistake yesterday. I took a load out of the washing machine and found everything covered in lint and bits of cotton.
I accidentally sent a ball point pen through the wash at the old condo building we lived at. It was a shared machine. I tried removing the ink with nail polish remover and succeeded removing the paint finish in certain spots instead.

Passengers at Heathrow airport wait for their baggage, but get frozen fish instead:
News story

No idea how this happened, is the airport staffed by robots or something? Anyway, let the fish puns commence. And no carping.
But did the luggage end up on a fish-counter somewhere?
Is there a bathing suit and a pair of flip-flops on a bed of crushed ice in a Morrisons?

Back